Thread Closed 
Chris Hughton to be handed a £15m transfer kitty after budget talks with Newcastle.
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team
Chris Hughton to be handed a £15m transfer kitty after budget talks with Newcastle.

Hey VanCan, I need a pair of those Canadian Olympic mittens! Can't find 'em anywhere on-line.
16th April 2010 05:56 AM
Find all posts by this user
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

4 year parachute payment coming in so cant see him being that bothered.

i hope we are sold but dont do a pompey.
16th April 2010 06:49 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Its not as simple as that anyway.

Players are bought and their transfer fees are released through accounts over the terms of their contract, therefore Owen leaving for nothing will not have had a hit on the accounts at all in terms of profit or loss, whereas Duff leaving for £4mil will have shown a few mil profit.

Its all about cashflows, and its clear that almost all of the external creditors were transferred to Ashley. Now when it became apparent that the external creditors were far more than he bargained for (the lump sum that became payable on the mortgage as and when the Halls fucked off for instance) Ashley totally shit it and realised that a big chunk of cash funds were needed just to stand still.

This is of course his own fault, due to wanting in immediately at what he must have seen as a relative bargain. However, regardless of fault, it left him with a rather large proportion of his wealth tied up in the club gaining no return to him at all.

When the credit crunch hit, and generally stock values across the globe plummetted, Ashleys worth was pretty much cut in half. Now whether he is worth £1.5bil or £700mil is almost a nothing to folks like us, as its mind blowingly rich anyway, given his wealth is still in the main tied up in investments - Am not surprised it became squeaky bum time for him and he wanted to draw his money back.

The best way to do that, is to take out a proportion of big fees coming in, as well as slashing running costs so as to mitigate the losses that the club makes year on year so he doesnt have to subsidise them - By reducing the banbk overdraft for instance.

This is not an Ashley defence at all, its just stating the facts which are often ignored when folks look at transfers going out and assume the money is 'pocketed'.

I will say again, the blokes mistakes were in his lies, and his appointments. He should never have gone near Wise OR Keegan given the circumstances. He should have gone with an 'up and commer', kept Mort in play, and been open to the fans about the next few years being all about getting the club onto a sound financial footing.

Had he done that, I think he would have been largely accepted, and probably still kicking about the City on a Friday night boozing with the fans - Which is what I think he originally wanted.

As it happens, he obviously has very poor advisors in football terms, and totally underestimated the passion of the fans.
16th April 2010 07:32 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Cracking post Sal.
16th April 2010 08:19 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Sal Wrote:Of course they have to file accounts.

I said PUBLISH.

As in make them public.
16th April 2010 08:23 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

The Steve Wrote:I said PUBLISH.

As in make them public.

Well I have a copy of the 2008 accounts - That makes them pretty public wouldnt you say??
16th April 2010 08:24 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Silent Bob Wrote:If you read back through my posts, you will see i never actually mentioned us making a profit.

All i said was the club generated money by selling on the players.

Also Martins, Duff, Owen, Milner and Given we're bought before Mike Ashley took over the club, so most of the transfer fee's we're payed up.

finally the F.A payed us money for Owen.

We're still paying for Martins now believe it or not.
16th April 2010 08:45 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

How can we be paying for Martins surely any monies owed to his old club will be paid off via the payments from Wolfsburg to us.
16th April 2010 09:18 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:How can we be paying for Martins surely any monies owed to his old club will be paid off via the payments from Wolfsburg to us.

Wolfsburg probs paying us in drips and drabs!!
16th April 2010 09:33 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

I don't see the problem with these installments like.
16th April 2010 09:35 AM
Thread Closed