Thread Closed 
when should houghton be judged?
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

looking on another thread its obvious some dont want him to carry on after this season because he isnt upto the job, but despite the fact we are more or less champions now, do you think he should be judged next season not this season?

personally i think there are lots of managers that could have got us up with this team, in championship terms its a top team, but in the premier league its nowhere near being a top team. we need players in of much more quality than we have now, and this is my point, shouldnt houghton be judged on who he brings in and how we do next year?

a fair few on here have said that 4th bottom next year is a success ....... no it isnt, yes it keeps us up but is that really our ambition now? i want players in who can get us in the top half, maybe europe, this being the main reason ashley should sell now because we now from experience he wont spend the money. its my view that a good manager can get us in the top half with 30 million, this being only 10 million more than ashley said he was going to spend every season when he first started with his promises, so it is possible.

i think 30 million on good players (not up thier own arse mega stars) would put us back to a top half team, build from there ........... anyone agree with this?
14th April 2010 01:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Why not judge him now? He has got us promoted quicker than any other team ever and we are on our way to win the league with our highest ever points total? If this was anyone else (well two names in particular, but I needn't mention them) people would be masturbating furiously demanding they be knighted. He has been the best manager we've had since Sir Bobby. He has got us playing efficient and at times very attractive football. I don't know why people have doubts in him.

In truth and reality, 17th place would be good for us next year. Obviously, we'd all like more but 17th will be a success as it is progress. If anyone thinks we can get into Europe next year they need to give their heads a shake because there is simply no chance. We need to rebuild and take the progress as it comes.
14th April 2010 01:08 PM
jack Online

First Team Benchwarmer

The Steve Wrote:Why not judge him now? He has got us promoted quicker than any other team ever and we are on our way to win the league with our highest ever points total? If this was anyone else (well two names in particular, but I needn't mention them) people would be masturbating furiously demanding they be knighted. He has been the best manager we've had since Sir Bobby. He has got us playing efficient and at times very attractive football. I don't know why people have doubts in him.

In truth and reality, 17th place would be good for us next year. Obviously, we'd all like more but 17th will be a success as it is progress. If anyone thinks we can get into Europe next year they need to give their heads a shake because there is simply no chance. We need to rebuild and take the progress as it comes.

good post.. spot on
14th April 2010 01:18 PM
Acker_Bilk Offline

Youth Team

The Steve Wrote:Why not judge him now? He has got us promoted quicker than any other team ever and we are on our way to win the league with our highest ever points total? If this was anyone else (well two names in particular, but I needn't mention them) people would be masturbating furiously demanding they be knighted. He has been the best manager we've had since Sir Bobby. He has got us playing efficient and at times very attractive football. I don't know why people have doubts in him.

Yeah what this guy said.
14th April 2010 01:33 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Quote:a fair few on here have said that 4th bottom next year is a success ....... no it isnt, yes it keeps us up but is that really our ambition now

17th place is a bloody step up from relegation m8 then hopefully we can get better year after year. And if you think Ashley will stump up £30m your dreaming.
14th April 2010 01:38 PM
wotsits Offline

Youth Team

WE CAN GET INTO EUROPE BY SPENDING 30MIL???? ill have a pintof what yr drinking please! ffs
14th April 2010 01:46 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:17th place is a bloody step up from relegation m8 then hopefully we can get better year after year. And if you think Ashley will stump up £30m your dreaming.

You make some good points Dave, but what these two say, is spot on.

17th isn't our "ambition" - it is the first step towards that ambition. Ashley is staying for the near future, so we have to get use to the fact that things won't happen quickly, therefore the main priority is ensuring we stay in the top flight until the fat one fucks off.
14th April 2010 01:50 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Organisation & spirit can go a long way - Just look at Fulham & Birmingham this season.

Hughton can only get results in the division we are in, he has done that and passed with flying colours. To say that many other managers could have had us promoted is neither here nor there, we know for a fact that Hughton has done it. Frankly, since January, I cant conceive how we could have done ANY better at all, that is in terms of racking up points and the manner in which we have done it.

Hughton will rightfully be judged firstly on September 1st when we can see what players have been brought in, and secondly at the turn of the year when we can see how the team has faired.

If Ashley has tied the blokes hands, then it is a case of whoever the manager is, we are fucked and Hughton cant be blamed. If Ashley has given Hughton reasonable scope to strengthen then he will rightly carry on or be booted out come January 2011. By reasonable - I dont care how much actual pounds and pence are released, I just want the team strengthening to make us competitive.

As for final position, 17th is acceptable as it means we are there to fight another day. I personally wouldnt see that as a success. Success for me would be that we are not embroiled in a relegation battle.
14th April 2010 01:51 PM
wotsits Offline

Youth Team

By reasonable - I dont care how much actual pounds and pence are released, I just want the team strengthening to make us competitive.

fantastically well put.
its not about how much we spend its about who we get. there are some great free transfers that would strengthen us and we can get a bit of quality too. but lets not kid ourselves, before we even kick a ball we are in a relegation battle. its all about staying up next season.
14th April 2010 01:58 PM
bishopmag Offline

Youth Team

Good post.

No manager wanted to touch us after we got relegated last season.Chris had the balls to take the job on knowing there would be restrictions regarding transfers and my god what a good job he's done.

Our team spirit at the moment is the strongest ive seen it for many years and thats amazing considering the state we were in at villa park last year.
14th April 2010 02:02 PM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

im not saying he hasnt done a good job, if anything, im saying people who want him to go havent given him a chance, but next season he is in the big league and that is where he will be tested. im like everyone else delighted we are up again, and as for the europe thing, im saying it would be possible with money but not probable under ashley. yes 4th bottom keeps us up and does have to be a first step to better things. for me houghton will be judged by what he does in the transfer market, maybe he will do well with what he is given and maybe we will finish higher than 4th bottom ..... who knows
14th April 2010 02:21 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

By Christmas we will have a better idea of which direction we are going.
14th April 2010 02:30 PM
jack Online

First Team Benchwarmer

14andout Wrote:By Christmas we will have a better idea of which direction we are going.

exactly my line of thought.. if (and i hope he does) c hughton has kept us away from the trap door by january then fair's fair. on the other hand if we are struggling and look dead certs for the drop then january will be the time to look for a new manager with hopefully enough time to get us away from the trap door and to safety.
but for now he deserves a crack at the premiership and long may it continue..
ive said b4 i think fatso will dig deep this summer and if he intends on staying he bloody well should give it a good decent budget.
14th April 2010 02:40 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

how can we judge him now when we don't even know how he is going to cope in the premierleague, end of next season is the time to judge, or if we are looking nailed on to go down next season, we've got to make a change, we can't afford to go down again.
14th April 2010 03:03 PM
BIFFAPOTAMUS Offline

Youth Team

Maybe we can only judge him when we can spell his name correctly.
14th April 2010 03:21 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular

most of the sensible stuff has already been said...

hehe...I can just hear the West Brom fans plotting di Matteo's downfall

"aye...thanks for getting us up Roberto but quite frankly we just don't think you're good enough for the big boys league so would you just kindly fuck off with your head held high and we can just put this season behind us and move on without you"

obviously all in a horrible midlands accent but I'm sure you get the picture

(This post was last modified: 14th April 2010 04:59 PM by McCreery.)
14th April 2010 04:56 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

We can judge him now, for now, because he's done a tremendous job when nobody else would touch us. I don't even want to think were we'd be if JFK hadn't gone into dry dock. The very last statement I want to hear from Hughton during the close season is "We don't really need that many, i'm quite happy with what we have". This means fat boy has put the squeeze on. I am concerned that if Colo, 'enry Kay(if selected) and Guti have good World Cups, then we might be made offers we should, but wont, refuse. They would be difficult to replace, but i reckon if he can persuade them to stay, or persuade fat boy not to cash in, then sends positive signals.
14th April 2010 05:04 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

The Steve Wrote:If this was anyone else (well two names in particular, but I needn't mention them) people would be masturbating furiously demanding they be knighted. He has been the best manager we've had since Sir Bobby.

Steve, was one of those soon to be knights... SBR ???
14th April 2010 06:01 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

No....KK and Shearer.
14th April 2010 06:15 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

ToonArmy1892 Wrote:if we are looking nailed on to go down next season, we've got to make a change, we can't afford to go down again.

Got to make a change...only if the right person is available though...no point in changing otherwise.

The bottom 3 this season, in the PL, have all changed manager but that hasn't changed their luck. Then you have West Ham and Wigan just outside the bottom 3, who have stuck with their manager.

Saying that like, Dowie and Laws could manage to send Zola and Martinez down, and that would fuck my argument up completely. Smile
14th April 2010 07:47 PM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

i still think with the squad we have we should be aiming higher than 4 th bottom, i know this squad took us down but most are premier league experienced and with a few decent signings ..... ok maybe not europe but shouldnt be worried about relegation either. 3 quality players and i think we are better than at least 5 teams in the prem already
14th April 2010 08:18 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

davenufc Wrote:i still think with the squad we have we should be aiming higher than 4 th bottom, i know this squad took us down but most are premier league experienced and with a few decent signings ..... ok maybe not europe but shouldnt be worried about relegation either. 3 quality players and i think we are better than at least 5 teams in the prem already

We have to worry about relegation. Last time we were in this division we were relegated!

Same with any promoted team, the main thing is survival.

Just because we have a nice history and a big stadium etc, does not give us any right to be different to those and expect to be going for the top half immediately.

We could finish higher than 4th bottom, and obviously we have to aim as high as possible, but my point is, survival has to be the priority, and 4th bottom would be survival, so I'd take that.
15th April 2010 09:55 AM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

after speculation this morning about the amount of money and houghton pandering to ashleys every need 4th bottom maybe pushing it now, i just think if ashley wants people on his side he could go a long way to doing it by investing well and making us more than relegation battlers
15th April 2010 10:08 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

davenufc Wrote:after speculation this morning about the amount of money and houghton pandering to ashleys every need 4th bottom maybe pushing it now, i just think if ashley wants people on his side he could go a long way to doing it by investing well and making us more than relegation battlers

I don't think Ashley will change. I think he knows another relegation won't help him, but I can't see him ever making us a team capable of challenging for European places.

The main thing, in my opinion, is for us to remain in the Premier League until Ashley goes.

4th bottom isn't "pushing it" though. Still very achievable, as long as the players go onto the pitch with the right attitude.

I think Hughton will be able to get them doing that, he's done it this season, when it would have been so easy for the players to get cocky and just relax, he's always managed to get them putting the effort in.
15th April 2010 10:15 AM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

dont entirely agree, the players we have are good in the championship but not in the premier league, remember, nolan got out run everywhere in the prem, ameobi cant cut it in the prem, why all of a sudden are we capable????? i think we need a bit of quality in addition to what we have but we obviously aint gonna get it so yes, 17th is pushing it
15th April 2010 10:18 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

But will a relegation be that bad for him richy considering he owns the whole club and he will be getting in the parachute payments for 3 years now coupled with a guaranteed 45k every home game.
15th April 2010 10:19 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:But will a relegation be that bad for him richy considering he owns the whole club and he will be getting in the parachute payments for 3 years now coupled with a guaranteed 45k every home game.

Aye, cause they talk of massive losses etc...ok he gets the Parachute payment, but that's to cover these losses...and, if we go down again, a lot of those 45k wouldn't go, because a lot of those had already paid for their season tickets with the 3 year deal. Plus another relegation and the players who wanted to stay this time, will then want to leave.

davenufc Wrote:dont entirely agree, the players we have are good in the championship but not in the premier league, remember, nolan got out run everywhere in the prem, ameobi cant cut it in the prem, why all of a sudden are we capable????? i think we need a bit of quality in addition to what we have but we obviously aint gonna get it so yes, 17th is pushing it

Aye, but we played with the wrong attitude last time we were in the Prem, and that will count for a lot. Remember, we only went down by one point, how many more points would we have got if we'd actually battled away...

We will struggle, that's why I'm saying I'd be happy with 17th, but I do think it's capable.

And you've gone from saying "i still think with the squad we have we should be aiming higher than 4 th bottom" to "4th bottom is pushing it" Big Grin

We can still get a few decent signings on a tight budget.
15th April 2010 10:25 AM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

yes because with what we have now we should build it up, not stick with what we have. nolan will be slow again in the prem, ameobi will be out of his depth again. we have quality players but we need a few more, its not a bad base for a squad but that alone wont be enough ..... maybe houghton can get a few young stars for 15 million who knows .... but judging by leon best i wont hold my breath
15th April 2010 10:36 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Why judge by Leon Best, rather than Williamson, Routledge or van Aanholt?

Just out of interest.
15th April 2010 10:39 AM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

fair point, but are any of those prem players, routeledge and williamson havent done it in the past at other clubs. i hope im wrong but its just a risky policy at the moment
15th April 2010 10:43 AM
Thread Closed