Thread Closed 
when should houghton be judged?
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

davenufc Wrote:yes because with what we have now we should build it up, not stick with what we have. nolan will be slow again in the prem, ameobi will be out of his depth again. we have quality players but we need a few more, its not a bad base for a squad but that alone wont be enough ..... maybe houghton can get a few young stars for 15 million who knows .... but judging by leon best i wont hold my breath

What about Williamson, Routledge, Lovenkrands etc. Can't judge his signings on Leon Best! Considering he's hardly even played.

Also the signings don't need to be young stars. Just good enough. I don't care if we don't spend a penny and bring in free transfers, aslong as they're good enough.

And I don't see why the current squad isn't capable of finishing 4th bottom, the bottom half of the Premier League isn't good. It's full of grafters. And our team bottled it last season - which is why I think next season, with a bit of effort, we can finish above the likes of Hull and Wolves etc.
15th April 2010 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

davenufc Wrote:fair point, but are any of those prem players, routeledge and williamson havent done it in the past at other clubs. i hope im wrong but its just a risky policy at the moment

Routledge is more mature now, and if he hadn't "done it" how come he earned moves to the likes of Spurs and Villa? Must've done something right. I know he has never settled, but he's always attracted the interest. He wasn't good enough for the likes of Spurs and Villa, but we don't need to aim that high yet.
15th April 2010 10:47 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Quote:Can't judge his signings on Leon Best! Considering he's hardly even played.

And why is that because Hughton realised he is fucking garbage.
15th April 2010 10:48 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:And why is that because Hughton realised he is fucking garbage.

Could it not just be because Carroll and Lovenkrands started banging the goals in at the right time?

And then Shola returned from injury with two goals in two games.

I don't want ot go over the Leon Best thing because it's been mentioned so many times, but is there really anything wrong with signing a player who had scored more than an any of our strikers and played in the same division, and had earned a player of the month award. Easy to look now and say he wasn't worth it, but at the time he would have seemed a good signing, and I think the only reason he hasn't got goals is because he's not had a run in the side.
15th April 2010 10:51 AM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

richyNUFC Wrote:Routledge is more mature now, and if he hadn't "done it" how come he earned moves to the likes of Spurs and Villa? Must've done something right. I know he has never settled, but he's always attracted the interest. He wasn't good enough for the likes of Spurs and Villa, but we don't need to aim that high yet.

no doubt routeledge is good to have in the squad but quality around him incase he flops again would be less of a gamble surely. i hope he does prove himself, i hope williamson who couldnt get in a relegated pompey team does aswell im just saying why not get quality players in aswell ...... not every gamble pays off
15th April 2010 10:52 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

I thought that the Williamson thing was that part of his deal involved Pompey paying Watford a big whack of money when he made his first team debut. They couldn't afford it, so he had to kick his heels for a bit.
15th April 2010 11:00 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

davenufc Wrote:not every gamble pays off

True. We can still sign proven players on a tight budget though.

Also, I think the lack of any "quality" signings is due to the fact we aren't in a position to make those signings, whereas in the summer, we're a Premier League team again, and a few of those quality players will become available.
15th April 2010 11:02 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Quote:but is there really anything wrong with signing a player who had scored more than an any of our strikers and played in the same division

Sorry m8 explain to me which strikers do you speak of because it isnt Carroll/Lovenkrands/Ameobi.

He has scored 9 goals for Coventry Carroll has score 15 league goals/Lovenkrands 15 league goals/Ameobi 10 goals.

The kid is simply not good enough if he cant score goals in a team like ours in this shite league, In my view he is garbage and we need to offload him.
15th April 2010 11:12 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Carroll had only scored 6 when Best arrived, Lovenkrands only 4, and Ameobi 8.
15th April 2010 11:16 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Not defending Best, mind. He is shite. Just, you can see where Hughton was coming from signing him - we were all saying we needed new strikers in January cos our current crop weren't up to it. As it turned out, Carroll and Lover stepped up their games. Maybe as a result of the arrival of Best, who knows?
15th April 2010 11:18 AM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

In all fairness Best aside I can't name a bad Hughton signing so far.
15th April 2010 11:27 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:Sorry m8 explain to me which strikers do you speak of because it isnt Carroll/Lovenkrands/Ameobi.

He has scored 9 goals for Coventry Carroll has score 15 league goals/Lovenkrands 15 league goals/Ameobi 10 goals.

The kid is simply not good enough if he cant score goals in a team like ours in this shite league, In my view he is garbage and we need to offload him.

Aye mate, I meant at the time we signed him, he'd scored more than any of our strikers.

And you say "if he can't score in a team like ours..." but he scored in an even worse side, in the same division, more times than any of our strikers, at that time. I still believe if he'd been given a run in the side, he'd have got goals.

Not good enough for the PL like. He's young, but I still can't understand the 3 year deal.
(This post was last modified: 15th April 2010 11:36 AM by richyNUFC.)
15th April 2010 11:34 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Without wishing to reignite the Leon Best debate, he is absolute cacky, and if he scores even 1 goal in the Prem i'll actually eat a curry.
15th April 2010 12:04 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Best is shyte.

He was brought in because at the time our forwards were doing fuck all.

He was signed for next to nothing, and the extra competition may well have kick started Carroll's & Lovenkrands' seasons.

We will offload him in the summer and no doubt lose NOTHING at all on him, perhaps even make a few quid.

I dont see what there is to debate on the matter????
15th April 2010 12:07 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Thing is richy it is expected of him to score in our team but he hasnt where as in the Coventry team the pressure wasnt on him.
15th April 2010 12:54 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Venegoor Wrote:Without wishing to reignite the Leon Best debate, he is absolute cacky, and if he scores even 1 goal in the Prem i'll actually eat a curry.

I don't think he will do it in the prem.

I still say if he had a run in the first team side he'd have got goals this season though.
15th April 2010 05:01 PM
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter

We payed £1mil for Best.

Half a million each for Simpson and Routledge

Fitz Hall on loan And i think Willamson on loan as well.?
15th April 2010 05:58 PM
Thread Closed