Geordie "border" question

Thread Closed 
Geordie "border" question

Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
RE: Geordie "border" question

I've always assumed anyone born south of the Tyne was French. Whenever we used to venture down south to Newcastle, suddenly all the place names went weird and foreign, like Seaton De la Val, and Houghton le Spring, Chester Le Street. French french fucking french.

Get yourselves some proper Northumbrian names like Cambois and Beaufront.... um.

Bollocks.
1st September 2010 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user
mjg316 Offline

First Team Starter

(1st September 2010 06:51 AM)trev81uk Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.For me, the term geordie refers to people from tyneside and the surrounding area.
South of the tyne isn't geordie, it's mackem, durham or smoggie, darlo or monkey hangar territory.
In Northumberland I'm not sure if they're Geordie or not.

(1st September 2010 11:36 AM)NE1 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Anybody born south of the Tyne is a Makum. Simple and should be know as plastic Geordies.

So there !!

and your an owen you thick northen donkey Urgay
1st September 2010 12:26 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

NE1

At least speall Mackem correctly if you are going to throw insults around.
1st September 2010 01:25 PM
guff Online

First Team Regular

(1st September 2010 01:25 PM)LeazesLoyal Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.NE1

At least speall Mackem correctly if you are going to throw insults around.

I agree. we must encourage good spealling. Dodgy
1st September 2010 01:47 PM
DevonMag Offline

First Team Starter

(1st September 2010 10:05 AM)Vic Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I dont think Colarado has realised what he has started Smile
The bloke only wanted a bit of clarification lol

I'm presuming you're a bloke!
(This post was last modified: 1st September 2010 03:40 PM by DevonMag.)
1st September 2010 03:39 PM
guff Online

First Team Regular

(1st September 2010 03:39 PM)DevonMag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(1st September 2010 10:05 AM)Vic Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I dont think Colarado has realised what he has started Smile
The bloke only wanted a bit of clarification lol

I'm presuming you're a bloke!

Course he is - same as Texas. Smile
1st September 2010 04:01 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Just to confuse you even more, Colarado...

Tex is a sand-dancer...
1st September 2010 04:10 PM
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

I'll memorize Lundypete's and TAB's insults and pass those on! I did have to look up "shell suit."
1st September 2010 05:15 PM
gb58 Offline

Youth Team

(1st September 2010 05:15 PM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I'll memorize Lundypete's and TAB's insults and pass those on! I did have to look up "shell suit."

Ask him what the difference is between Batman + a Scouser.
Answer is, Batman can go out without Robin (robbing!!)

PS. Thanks for the tip last year about "Black Canyon of the Gunnison" We went + it was awesome!!
1st September 2010 06:10 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(1st September 2010 12:26 AM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.So I worker with a guy from Liverpool, he's taken to calling me a "Monkey hanger." I look up this term and see that it refers to events from Hartlepool. But Hartlepool is quite close to Newcastle (seemingly per Google maps), and so I'm wondering if the moniker includes folk from the area area around Hartlepool--and specifically all the way out to Newcastle--or if this guy is taking license with the term?

Related: As Hartlepool is in the NE, are they "Geordies?". And while I'm getting my NE history/border/tribe education, are those from Sunderland and Middlesboro Geordies or not?

Thanks,

Ej

A few decades ago the term "Geordie" could apply to people from Northumberland and Sunderland to the south. I can even remember the expression "a Geordie, from Sunderland, said ....".

It used to be said Ashington was "where proper Geordies come from" - it was the home of the Charltons and Jackie Milburn after all. This was probably a reference to the miners too, where one of the derivations of the term Geordie comes from.

Its really only over the last 30 years or so that the term Geordie has narrowed to just Tyneside as far as I can gather - and also the Sky way of calling NUFC and its fans "The Geordies" has narrowed it even further to such an extent where the two have become synonyous.

It still makes me laugh that Sunderland dwellers now happily call themselves mackems, when throughout my youth it was meant to be a term of abuse over their frankly nauseating accent.

But of course at one point the term "Geordie" was meant to be term of abuse, so glass houses and stones spring to mind.

Anyway, the Scouse gobshite is just winding you up Tex. Tell him to stick to robbing and being "hilarious" - Hartlepool has fuck all to do with Newcastle.

ps. Middlesbrough has never been associated with Geordies, and indeed when I was a lad was a part of Yorkshire. Still is in my little world.
1st September 2010 07:55 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

I find it staggering to be honest, that Colorado managed to find a working dipper. Easier finding a working Tiger Moth i'd have thought.
1st September 2010 08:12 PM
Stoner Offline

First Team Regular

I think I'll stay out of this one.
After all, I'm from South of Birmingham so I'm a cockney.
1st September 2010 09:04 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

(1st September 2010 04:10 PM)Jinkyjim Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Just to confuse you even more, Colarado...

Tex is a sand-dancer...

Du du du d d du du du d d Smile

As is all woman Guff!
1st September 2010 09:40 PM
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

(1st September 2010 06:10 PM)gb58 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.PS. Thanks for the tip last year about "Black Canyon of the Gunnison" We went + it was awesome!!

Glad you enjoyed it- it really is stunning. Take the narrow gauge RR?

Sand-dancer. . . Nope, no clue one that one either.

So, I do read and learn from y'all. I've notice that often y'all poke fun at liverpool for always needing a moment of silence. I have no idea why. Anyhow, I've started playing indoor soccer. We play a group of British guys the other day (cleverly named The Damned United), and the have a guy they are calling "scouser.". He's a whining bastard who screams bloody murder if you touch him, but cries over the injustice in the world when he's whistled for a foul. Anyhow, after a particularly whiney moment I asked him if we needed a moment of silence over this latest tragedy. The look on his face was priceless as he was trying to figure out if I had actually said what he thought I'd said, and also if I understood the meaning of of what I'd said (which is no).

So, funny moment with ammo provided by all of you.
2nd September 2010 04:40 AM
lundypete Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(2nd September 2010 04:40 AM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Anyhow, after a particularly whiney moment I asked him if we needed a moment of silence over this latest tragedy. The look on his face was priceless as he was trying to figure out if I had actually said what he thought I'd said, and also if I understood the meaning of of what I'd said (which is no).

Brilliant. That is a priceless moment, and I am more than mildly envious of your opportunity to say it.

The minutes silence is in tribute to 96 Livrerpool fans who died at Hillsbororough Stadium back in the 80s: no one doubts their loss, but it was over 20 years ago. Scousers like to wallow in their misery. And there is a lot of that.
2nd September 2010 07:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

Would have paid a lot of money to see that CM. Fantastic.

Whinging scouser. LOL 1st
2nd September 2010 10:20 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

CM

Big Grin
2nd September 2010 01:04 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

(2nd September 2010 04:40 AM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.So, I do read and learn from y'all. I've notice that often y'all poke fun at liverpool for always needing a moment of silence. I have no idea why. Anyhow, I've started playing indoor soccer. We play a group of British guys the other day (cleverly named The Damned United), and the have a guy they are calling "scouser.". He's a whining bastard who screams bloody murder if you touch him, but cries over the injustice in the world when he's whistled for a foul. Anyhow, after a particularly whiney moment I asked him if we needed a moment of silence over this latest tragedy. The look on his face was priceless as he was trying to figure out if I had actually said what he thought I'd said, and also if I understood the meaning of of what I'd said (which is no).

Excellent !
2nd September 2010 05:46 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(2nd September 2010 04:40 AM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(1st September 2010 06:10 PM)gb58 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.PS. Thanks for the tip last year about "Black Canyon of the Gunnison" We went + it was awesome!!

Glad you enjoyed it- it really is stunning. Take the narrow gauge RR?

Sand-dancer. . . Nope, no clue one that one either.

So, I do read and learn from y'all. I've notice that often y'all poke fun at liverpool for always needing a moment of silence. I have no idea why. Anyhow, I've started playing indoor soccer. We play a group of British guys the other day (cleverly named The Damned United), and the have a guy they are calling "scouser.". He's a whining bastard who screams bloody murder if you touch him, but cries over the injustice in the world when he's whistled for a foul. Anyhow, after a particularly whiney moment I asked him if we needed a moment of silence over this latest tragedy. The look on his face was priceless as he was trying to figure out if I had actually said what he thought I'd said, and also if I understood the meaning of of what I'd said (which is no).

Smile
2nd September 2010 06:49 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

CM....Scousers.

[Image: scousers.jpg]

[Image: scousers_2.jpg]

Scouse Keyboard.
[Image: keyb-scouser.jpg]

John Lennon International Airport.
[Image: scouse2.jpg]

[Image: scouse_mum_w.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 2nd September 2010 07:18 PM by King Sentinel I.)
2nd September 2010 07:16 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

3rd September 2010 10:44 AM

Thread Closed