Geordie "border" question

Thread Closed 

ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

So I worker with a guy from Liverpool, he's taken to calling me a "Monkey hanger." I look up this term and see that it refers to events from Hartlepool. But Hartlepool is quite close to Newcastle (seemingly per Google maps), and so I'm wondering if the moniker includes folk from the area area around Hartlepool--and specifically all the way out to Newcastle--or if this guy is taking license with the term?

Related: As Hartlepool is in the NE, are they "Geordies?". And while I'm getting my NE history/border/tribe education, are those from Sunderland and Middlesboro Geordies or not?

Thanks,

Ej
(This post was last modified: 1st September 2010 01:04 AM by ColoradoMagpie.)
1st September 2010 12:26 AM
Find all posts by this user
trev81uk Offline

Youth Team
RE: Geordie "border" question

For me, the term geordie refers to people from tyneside and the surrounding area.
South of the tyne isn't geordie, it's mackem, durham or smoggie, darlo or monkey hangar territory.
In Northumberland I'm not sure if they're Geordie or not.
1st September 2010 06:51 AM
Ryton Mag Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Traditionally a Geordie is someone from Newcastle but I was born south of the river near Blaydon but there's no way anyone from my neck of the woods is a Mackem. I've always thought of myself as a Geordie, also I live in Northumberland in Prudhoe which is on the south bank of the river. I think the answer is it's what people identify themselves as, some would call themselves mackems, some Geordie's and some north easterners or tynesiders etc.

There is also a difference in dialect between someone from newcastle and it's surrounding area and wearside and that is often a dead give away.
1st September 2010 07:12 AM
Figs Online

Fan Favourite

No people in northumberland are northumbrians.
Northumbrian [nɔːˈθʌmbrɪən]
adj
1. (Placename) of or relating to the English county of Northumberland, its inhabitants, or their dialect of English
2. (Historical Terms) of or relating to ancient Northumbria, its inhabitants, or their dialect
n
(Linguistics / Languages)
a. the dialect of Old and Middle English spoken north of the River Humber See also Anglian, Mercian
b. the dialect of Modern English spoken in Northumberland
(This post was last modified: 1st September 2010 07:18 AM by Figs.)
1st September 2010 07:18 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Well I was born in Nablus and bred in Hartlepool.

So that makes me an exotic Monkey Hanger I guess.

NUFC fan through and through though, I never did take to HUFC.
1st September 2010 07:19 AM
lundypete Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Your scouser is taking the piss: Hartlepool, in terms of "geordiness" is nowhere near Newcxastle. You might remind your scouser mate though, that bin dippers are called that, not because of some geographical accident, but because they are lying, theiving, scummy, shell suit wearing fuckwits.
1st September 2010 07:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Glory hunter Wink (for Sal, not Pete)

I'm from North Northumberland, and we were always Northumbrians. Geordies were very definitely people from "down south". I was always told a Geordie had to be born within smell of the Tyne, which back in the day was probably a fairly wide area.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Geordie at one point was applied to pretty much everyone in the north east, and it was only fairly recently that the mackems adopted that name, having previously considered themselves Geordies as well. That probably comes from the idea that Geordie refers to the mining lamp, and so anywhere there were miners there were Geordies.

About a million other theories as to the origin of Geordie would centre it much more tightly on Tyneside, and mean places like Wearside, County Durham (including Hartlepool), and especially as far south as Teeside and the rest of North Yorkshire would have been well outside of its boundaries.
(This post was last modified: 1st September 2010 07:43 AM by Workshy Fop.)
1st September 2010 07:43 AM
DevonMag Offline

First Team Starter

(1st September 2010 06:51 AM)trev81uk Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.For me, the term geordie refers to people from tyneside and the surrounding area.
South of the tyne isn't geordie, it's mackem, durham or smoggie, darlo or monkey hangar territory.
In Northumberland I'm not sure if they're Geordie or not.

From Wiki:
Tyneside is a conurbation in North East England, defined by the Office of National Statistics, which is home to over 80% of the population of Tyne and Wear. It includes Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, Hebburn, Jarrow, North Shields, and South Shields — all settlements on the banks of the River Tyne. The population of the conurbation was 879,996 according to the census of 2001, the 6th largest conurbation in the UK. The only large settlement in Tyne and Wear that is not part of the Tyneside conurbation is Sunderland, which is on Wearside.
1st September 2010 07:43 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

hehehehe - Aye glory fan indeed, I just love the glory of intertoto wins and, errrrrr, stuff like that

Big Grin
1st September 2010 07:57 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

This has always been a issue of contention,

I like to keep it pretty simple, if you were born in or near the RVI or the General, then your a Geordie, and thats me, so you others can make your own excusesSmile Smile
1st September 2010 08:27 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

You can remind that scouse 'pal' of yours that, if loose geography is his thing, that would make him a Manc, as Manchester is closer to Liverpool than Hartlepool is to Newcastle. And you can rip his shell-suit for good measure, the theiving manc get.
1st September 2010 08:35 AM
steve_smiths Offline

Youth Team

mackems call themself geordies when on holiday, whats all that aboot? fuckin red n white bell ends
1st September 2010 09:43 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Just tell the red bindipper if he calls you that again you will punch his head off. Or you could just start calling him a bindipper he will know what you mean.
1st September 2010 09:49 AM
mjg316 Offline

First Team Starter

who are you calling a makem eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lived in gateshead all my life and the term geordie comes fromthe fact when the rest of the country switched to davey lamps in the pits us fokl in gateshead(cos thats where 75% of the pits were) refused to switch from the george stephenson lamp hence the name geordie

so before you go around calling people south of the tyne macums do some fucking research

ps newcastle=novacastrions gateshead=geordies FACT
1st September 2010 10:01 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

well, if you write FACT in capitals then discussion over.

I'd get onto all those etymologists that seem to still think there is some debate on the subject. Go get 'em telt, lad.
1st September 2010 10:05 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

I dont think Colarado has realised what he has started Smile
1st September 2010 10:05 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Call him a bin dipper, and I'll guarantee he'll stop calling you a monkey hanger.
1st September 2010 10:24 AM
mjg316 Offline

First Team Starter

on the subject can anyone tell me where the phrase monkey hanger and that term macum comes from?
1st September 2010 10:37 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

In the Napoleonic wars a monkey was dressed in a french uniform and it was the only survivor of a ship wreck and the localy thought it was a french spy so they hung it LOL.
1st September 2010 10:39 AM
mjg316 Offline

First Team Starter

lol tis true
god love that story

and a clue to the macum one has summit to do with ships and the world wars
(This post was last modified: 1st September 2010 10:44 AM by mjg316.)
1st September 2010 10:44 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Something to do with Geordies calling them it as you say in the shipbuilding game. Mackem-Tackem or something like that.
1st September 2010 10:47 AM
mjg316 Offline

First Team Starter

the ship builders used to say to the sailors before they left dock

"we macum yee attack um" so the first bit stuck
1st September 2010 10:50 AM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

Just call him a murdering, pocketpicking, scouse bastard...he'll know what you mean, he may even thank you for reminding him of it
(This post was last modified: 1st September 2010 11:24 AM by liam1708.)
1st September 2010 11:16 AM
DevonMag Offline

First Team Starter

(1st September 2010 10:39 AM)rotti Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.In the Napoleonic wars a monkey was dressed in a french uniform and it was the only survivor of a ship wreck and the localy thought it was a french spy so they hung it LOL.

I believe it was tried it in a court of law before the wretched thing was hanged! No
1st September 2010 11:35 AM
trev81uk Offline

Youth Team

(1st September 2010 10:05 AM)Vic Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I dont think Colarado has realised what he has started Smile

...this could be a long thread...
1st September 2010 11:35 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

Anybody born south of the Tyne is a Makum. Simple and should be know as plastic Geordies.

So there !!
1st September 2010 11:36 AM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

(1st September 2010 11:35 AM)DevonMag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(1st September 2010 10:39 AM)rotti Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.In the Napoleonic wars a monkey was dressed in a french uniform and it was the only survivor of a ship wreck and the localy thought it was a french spy so they hung it LOL.

I believe it was tried it in a court of law before the wretched thing was hanged! No

Oh aye it was all fair and above board like.
1st September 2010 11:37 AM
toonarmy10 Offline

Reserve Team

a true blood geordie is a person born within a half a mile of the river tyne

read that somewhere
1st September 2010 11:38 AM
trev81uk Offline

Youth Team

(1st September 2010 11:36 AM)NE1 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Anybody born south of the Tyne is a Makum. Simple and should be know as plastic Geordies.

So there !!

That'll be me then, I aint a Mackem or Makum though, in-fact I was born in Shildon so I'm a non-descript!
Still Black and White though!
1st September 2010 11:51 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Doesnt matter where your from if you support NUFC thats all that matters. Fucking hell anyone from abroad that supports NUFC when they could have chosen to be a glory seeker and support Manure/Chelsea are ok in my mind.
1st September 2010 12:03 PM

Thread Closed