not that you'd expect anything less, spot on again

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2...-east.html
13th April 2010 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
wor george

Good article.

Quote:3. The Messiah complex. I don’t know a single Newcastle fan who is demanding Keegan or Alan Shearer or some other "big-name" be appointed as manager. Not one. In fact, I don’t remember anybody demanding that Keegan should be appointed (the second time around), if for no other reason than the prospect was so left-field. I can, however, remember the lift it gave to Tyneside, because it prompted warmth and optimism, but that’s a different matter.

Plenty of people wanted Shearer’s position to become permanent last summer, because he represented the link between club and supporters at a time when it was in danger of being snapped, because he understood Newcastle and because his blueprint was to rip everything up and start again. Plenty, too, felt embarrassed and disappointed when a figure of such stature was first left in limbo and then ignored.

But Chris Hughton has performed admirably under duress this season, his name has been sung at home matches, he has a contract which lasts for another year and he deserves his crack at the Premier League. There is absolutely no groundswell of opinion pressing for more managerial upheaval - four managers last season tells its own story - just an acceptance that there will be a continuation of sweat and effort.

He obviously doesn't read this board. Big Grin
13th April 2010 07:00 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain
wor george

Like he says about the 'Delusionistas' cough Steve Curry cough cough Mick Denniscough cough, why don't you spend some time up here actually talking, and listening to people? A good read, but sadly unlikely to cut much ice dine siyth.
13th April 2010 07:09 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
wor george

richyNUFC Wrote:Good article.

He obviously doesn't read this board. Big Grin

there's a difference between wanting and expecting.

I want Mourinho, Van Gaal, Hitzfeld, Wenger, Ferguson. Even a Moyes, Hodgson or O'Neill would be great. I can't imagine many supporters of NUFC refusing someone like this being our manager given the choice.

But I expect Hughton to be the manager and considering what he has achieved I suppose he deserves a crack. However, how long he will last is literally anyone's guess.

I have a sneaky feeling a former Boro manager will end up at SJP in the not too distant future if he succeeds in winning the league for his club. Not a feat to be sniffed at considering the history of his current club and who the competition is.
13th April 2010 10:37 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular
wor george

I was going to post the same Richy!Big Grin
13th April 2010 10:56 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
wor george

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:there's a difference between wanting and expecting.

I want Mourinho, Van Gaal, Hitzfeld, Wenger, Ferguson. Even a Moyes, Hodgson or O'Neill would be great. I can't imagine many supporters of NUFC refusing someone like this being our manager given the choice.

But I expect Hughton to be the manager and considering what he has achieved I suppose he deserves a crack. However, how long he will last is literally anyone's guess.

I have a sneaky feeling a former Boro manager will end up at SJP in the not too distant future if he succeeds in winning the league for his club. Not a feat to be sniffed at considering the history of his current club and who the competition is.

Was talking about the few who are saying Hughton should step aside mate.
14th April 2010 08:30 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
wor george

He deserves his chance, that doesn't stop me having major doubts about him.The summer window is crucial Hughton needs to show strength and get rid of the players who are not up to it, and that includes one of his own signings Leon Best.

I know he will want to be loyal to the players who got us back up, but this is where he shows whether he is a manager or just a coach to me.
14th April 2010 09:01 AM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
wor george

the thing is Chris is that it's only us as fans that think some of the players are just not up to it......

looking at it from Hughtons point of view, would he not be justified in sticking by everybody that has got us up as Champions?

That includes the likes of Shola and Best........this squad needs adding too rather than a major upheaval

He's had one transfer window to spend and it transformed our season.......I'm willing to give him a bit of credit for that and give him time to build the next level
14th April 2010 09:16 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
wor george

Mac i think Hughton will know deep down who is up to it, and who isn't.I am not talking about sweeping changes, that isn't going to happen under Ashley's budget anyway.Ryan Taylor, Leon Best, Nicky Butt his contract is up anyway, that would be a start.
14th April 2010 09:29 AM
Thread Closed