Thread Closed 
Agree or not?
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular
Agree or not?

First I've heard.

David Ginola said on Sky Sports that Kevin Keegan was wrong to give Alan Shearer the number nine Toon shirt.

In a frank interview with Ginola, John Beresford and Steve Howey, Hartlepool fan Jeff Stelling talked about the season Newcastle almost won the Premiership back in 1996 when they were dubbed "The Entertainers".

Stelling asked Ginola why he chose to leave the club, after such an amazing season.

David Ginola: "Things changed after that season. Kevin Keegan changed. He left in the January.

"The rot started to show when we went on tour of Thailand after that fabulous season.

"We were in the changing room before a game and Keegan told us Alan Shearer was going to sign for the club ... but he told Les Ferdinand he would be giving his number nine shirt to Shearer.

"I thought that was wrong. There was a unity amongst the players, and that didn't go down too well with us all.

"That put Shearer above Ferdinand, and we all classed ourselves as being part of the squad, with no-one above anyone else.

"Lee Clark gave Les his number ten shirt, as a gesture we were still together, but I thought the whole situation was bad."
13th April 2010 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Agree or not?

I kind of see what he was saying. That gesture essentially meant, like you say, that Shearer was above the rest of them, despite Les's tremendous first season.

It wouldn't have been as much of an issue had Les offered his shirt, but to have it taken away from you is a bit of a kick in the teeth?

Thanksfully Sir Les is a gent and hasn't kicked up a fuss about this at the time or even now so I guess it worked out fine in the end. I do see Ginola's point though.
13th April 2010 10:59 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
Agree or not?

Every picture we see Shearer and Sir les together they are smiling. When either one scored, the other was just as happy.

Now, I dont know for sure, but Sir Les happily give over the shirt for saying he was happy with No10 as long as he was playing along side Shearer.
13th April 2010 11:02 AM
Thread Closed