Kevin Nolan not worried about Wear-Tyne derby

Thread Closed 

Figs Offline

Fan Favourite

“We know what it’s going to be like and we’re looking forward to it. To be honest a lot of the pressure is on them to make sure they get a good result in light of what happened,” he said.

“We’re not going there thinking we’re going to turn them over or that we’ll roll over for them, it’s going to be a tough game again and hopefully we can be better than them on the day, that’s the aim and hopefully it’ll be the case.

“It’ll make it a bit more exciting and it adds a bit more edge but the lads genuinely love that kind of atmosphere.

“It’ll be tough from the fans but we’ll have fantastic support and hopefully we can do it for them and they can have a fantastic day again.”

A superb night was just what Nolan gave Newcastle in the game that ensured him of a place in St James’ Park folklore.

An overhead kick to open the floodgates, a slotted finish after Carroll’s acrobatic effort and a bullet header to complete the rout were enough to etch Nolan’s name into derby history. He hasn’t watched the game since but then with almost daily reminders from every Newcastle fan that he meets, it has been kept fresh his memory over the past ten weeks.

“You know I’ve never watched it – and no one has bought me the DVD. I’ve got the ball at home and the shirt at home but it’s all up there,” he says tapping his forehead.

“To be honest I was surprised no one bought it for me for Xmas. I was going to buy it mum and dad one but I didn’t get round to it so I haven’t got one.

“Do people buy me drinks? No, not really. People want to speak to you more when you’re out and about.

“They come over and shake your hand and just say thank you for a fantastic day and there’s nothing more pleasing when that happens. I’m not one to be out on the town all the time to be honest. I had a good night after that game – as a lot of you read! – but I have bought drinks since then. I always go out with Andy Carroll, so of course I have to. If I score again they may start buying me drinks! The response I’ve had from the whole city has been tremendous and the way I get treated as well. But it was like that before I scored the hat-trick and it now gives people more of an incentive to come over and chat to me – which I never ever minded before anyway because I get paid for doing a job and that’s part of it being able to communicate with fans when I’m out and about.

“Hopefully that’s just the beginning. Getting us back in the Premier League was the beginning. Personally I had a good season and with what the team has done, to be where we are now, is a fantastic achievement by us. But it’s only a beginning.

“It’s nice that when I do come back people will remember me for that but hopefully I’ve got a couple of years left and maybe a few more after that and it’ll be more than one thing people want to remember me for.”

For Nolan – who admits the embarrassment of taking Newcastle down still haunts him – doing the double over Sunderland would represent the kind of legacy he targeted when he first signed.

“Being captain of such a fantastic club has been a massive honour and sometimes I can’t describe how that feels,” he said. “I love doing the job and playing for this club so I hope to be here as long as possible and give myself that opportunity to ensure that happens. I felt like I had something to prove this season, of course. We spoke just before relegation about when I leave and things like that. It was always important to me that I wanted to leave something here and make sure the Newcastle fans didn’t think I was just a lazy git who was rubbish.

“I did not want that. I wanted fans to think ‘Yeah he was good up here, a good servant to the club and fantastic when he was up here.’ And that has always been my goal, week in week out.”

Read More Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
14th January 2011 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
RE: Kevin Nolan not worried about Wear-Tyne derby

It's a great interview like. Seems a class bloke.
14th January 2011 10:45 AM
Figs Offline

Fan Favourite

Like the bit about Drinking and out With Carroll i bet he is his carer. Wink
14th January 2011 11:00 AM
Jason Mackemtears

Unregistered

Always loved Nolans attitude, he reminds me of David Kelly - i.e. not from the area but loves playing for the club.
14th January 2011 11:02 AM
Brassneck

Unregistered

nolan is our spiritual leader, and i`m sure he has got his spiritual eye on another spiritual hat-trick
14th January 2011 04:12 PM

Thread Closed