Thread Closed 
This is what were up against next season
hpoolmag Offline

Youth Team

Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Craddock, Berra, Elokobi, Mancienne, David Jones, Edwards, Foley, Jarvis, Doyle.
Subs: Hennessey, Ebanks-Blake, Ward, Halford, Iwelumo, Milijas, Guedioura.

Stoke: Sorensen, Huth, Abdoulaye Faye, Higginbotham, Collins, Delap, Whitehead, Whelan, Etherington, Sidibe, Kitson.
Subs: Begovic, Lawrence, Pugh, Sanli, Wilkinson, Lund, Moult.

Blackburn (D0-0 v Portsmouth, a): Robinson; Salgado, Samba, Jones, Givet, Diouf (Hoilett 76), Nzonzi (Grella 64), Pedersen, Olsson, Dunn (Kalinic 80), Roberts. Subs not used: Brown, Emerton, Linganzi, Di Santo.

Thats just 3 squads from today, dont see how they are any better than ours.
11th April 2010 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

hpoolmag Wrote:Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Craddock, Berra, Elokobi, Mancienne, David Jones, Edwards, Foley, Jarvis, Doyle.
Subs: Hennessey, Ebanks-Blake, Ward, Halford, Iwelumo, Milijas, Guedioura.

Stoke: Sorensen, Huth, Abdoulaye Faye, Higginbotham, Collins, Delap, Whitehead, Whelan, Etherington, Sidibe, Kitson.
Subs: Begovic, Lawrence, Pugh, Sanli, Wilkinson, Lund, Moult.

Blackburn (D0-0 v Portsmouth, a): Robinson; Salgado, Samba, Jones, Givet, Diouf (Hoilett 76), Nzonzi (Grella 64), Pedersen, Olsson, Dunn (Kalinic 80), Roberts. Subs not used: Brown, Emerton, Linganzi, Di Santo.

Thats just 3 squads from today, dont see how they are any better than ours.

our squad when we got relegated was far superior (bar one or two crucial areas - central midfield) to those around them. But your point is a fair one.
11th April 2010 11:26 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

It just shows what a difference a good team spirit and a bit of determination can do.

We'd never have got relegated had a few more players shown a bit of fight.
11th April 2010 11:54 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

"We'd never have got relegated had a few more players shown a bit of fight."

That is so true Richy. Thank heavens they are no longer with us.
11th April 2010 12:46 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

i find this hard to belive.

we sold our best players last season bar guti and enrique and kept the players who had poor seasons lvenkrands smiths nolans colo's and co who had poor seasons.

bassong was immense last year, martins scored a goal for every other start he made, beye was always brilliant in black and white, duff was certainly hot or miss, but is defo a hit and fulham.

we sold our best players and kept the trash. only difference this year is the trash pulled its finger out every so slightly.
11th April 2010 12:52 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

duff wasn't hit or miss, he was just miss.
11th April 2010 12:56 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

yeah but hes proving a hit at fulham, he was gash in black n white.
point is we sold our top players.

so when people harp on about how its great that we 'got rid of these poor players' etc, its a load of tosh. we got rid of our top players, and i'll include milner n zogbia and co in that in months previous.

the players we have this season, did the business, after last year doing fuck all.
11th April 2010 12:59 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

I don't know mate.

Team spirit is something that isn't easily measured or quantified, but it's safe to say that we've all seen the effect that it has had on the team from last season to this one.

Some of those players you mentioned were indeed very good, but there's no point in having them in the squad if they don't want to be there. Those players you mentioned could not wait to get out, whereas the "trash" (which I think is a very unfair description considering what they have achieved this season) battled it out over a pretty demanding season against teams who were raising their game for them every single week.

The players who are here at least really do want to be here for the right reasons, and as hpoolmag points out, the basis for a decent squad for a newly promoted team is there already. With a few decent additions on the right areas I think we'll comfortably stay up, and we'll have to see how it kicks on from there, but the players we have now deserve all the praise they get for their efforts this season, and bollocks to the supposed better ones who helped to drop us in the shit and then walked off without a care in the world.
11th April 2010 01:01 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

i know COB but i reckon of all the players mentioned now given that werent 'team players' ill clube given and milner and nzogbia left months previous, but given and milner 2 ultimate professionals. zogbia bit of a tosser i reckon.
beye another top pro, bassong young im not sure if he wasnt a team player, but martins i guess was a loose cannon.

but if they didnt want to be here thats fine, probably because they thought/knew they were international players who were alot better than the championship
11th April 2010 01:10 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

Yes, fair enough mate. I see where you're coming from. I have to admit I was never much for Milner, though I agree about his professionalism, especially after that time he got fucked about with that loan move to Villa. I don't know so much about Given's though, considering the manner and the timing of his departure, and with hindsight I think that started a sort of sinking ship mentality with some of the other players. I'm not blaming him single handed for a mass decline, but I do wonder about the extent of the effect it had on team morale. A shame really because I do think he blotted his copy book with that one in an otherwise excellent spell for the club.

Agree about that little twat N'Zogbia completely, and Duff, not only a useless cunt, but a spineless one as well for the way he blamed Newcastle Utd for fucking up his career when he left for Fulham.
11th April 2010 01:18 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

i don't care how well former players play for other clubs, all i am bothered about is how they play during their time at NUFC, and Duff if possibly one of the worst i have seen in a black and white shirt, running around in circles chasing his own arse all game, absolutely crap.
11th April 2010 01:20 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

agree TA he was gash.
COB given was mr professional he did alot of extra cirricular stuff he did at the club was right up there with shearer for doing that, 12 years service, top gk, never in press for wrong reasons. given was mr newcastle and mr professional. he couldnt take anymore of ashley.

milner another total professional. reali enjoyed his game, although many slagged him constantly. and now showing how much of a top player he is.
11th April 2010 01:26 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

I'll hold my hand up over Milner, I honestly never rated him, but he is maturing into a very decent player at Villa. Mind you, he is playing in the centre more and more for Villa which may (or may not) have something to do with his upturn.

Most of the reason I never really rated him was that I thought his crossing was very poor, he seemed to have difficulty beating the first man, and his passing in the final third seemed a bit....well, he could pass the ball very well, but then there are times when you're better off not making the pass and keeping possession, and he always passed it whether there was anything on or not. Used to infuriate me, but that goes for any player who gives the ball away cheaply.

Yes, Given was a model professional, it was just his timing that left a sour taste in the mouth. Other than that he was exemplary. And he has an exceptionally attractive large breasted wife, which is really neither here nor there in the context of this discussion, but if he ever has moments of regret of pangs of conscience I am sure he can find a way to console himself.
11th April 2010 01:50 PM
gallowgate Offline

Youth Team

viana45 Wrote:agree TA he was gash.
COB given was mr professional he did alot of extra cirricular stuff he did at the club was right up there with shearer for doing that, 12 years service, top gk, never in press for wrong reasons. given was mr newcastle and mr professional. he couldnt take anymore of ashley.

milner another total professional. reali enjoyed his game, although many slagged him constantly. and now showing how much of a top player he is.

mr proffesional?? he couldnt wait to get away from newcastle
11th April 2010 01:53 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

i always admired milner for the way he went about things, always a great guy, loves his darts as well, think my mate said he played him one night in a bar, and milner was top class, although he didnt drink either. this sounds like it lies, but i remember posting that we should play him through the middle abt a year or so ago, cos he had loads of energy and was originally a striker when we bought him, and wasnt used to the wings when we bought him IMO.

given i dont blame one iota. he did what he could and was fed up. this was one of europes top keepers, and certainly he has been the top PL keeper this season. ahead of cech who if memory serves me right was in the european 'team of the year' last season or the season before. he was a great servant who did all he could and couldnt take anymore. should he have waited til the end of the season? possibly, but citeh would have through a load of money for another top keeper and given would have missed his 1 last chance to play for a top team. as man usa, chelsea and liverpool have top keepers. and arsenal couldnt afford him.

people can say i rate given cos hes irish, doesnt mean shit, just look at leon best if you think otherwise.
11th April 2010 01:57 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

gallowgate Wrote:mr proffesional?? he couldnt wait to get away from newcastle

whats unprofessional about wanting to leave a club?

was keegan unprofessional when he left twice?
would shearer have been unproffesional if he had got his wish and left when guillet was in charge?

ridiculous comment to call someone unprofessional if they wish to leave a club.

milner who is widely regarded as mr proffesional without doubt, handed in a transfer request also. suppose hes unprofessional now too?

ridicudlous stupid comment mate.
11th April 2010 01:59 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

*Gets out deckchair, winds up portable gramophone and lights cigar*
11th April 2010 02:04 PM
hayzie Offline

Youth Team

difference between being professional and un-professional

one used his agent in the press to leverage a move away from the club

one went about his deal quietly (while using a PFA agent not a money grabbing scumbag) and does not keep popping up in the press about his old club
11th April 2010 02:07 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

one didnt use his agent to do anything. his agent released a statement saying he wanted to leave nufc.
the other released a statement thorugh the PFA to say he wanted to leave.
one had played and stayed loyal to newcastle for 12 years.
the other had been here under 5 years.

"and does not keeping popping up in the press about his old club?"
what is that remark even about.

yeah i suppose warren barton, bez, and shearer are unprofessional because they 'pop up in the press about their old club'....

another stupid remark

if given were a geordie he, would be admired.
11th April 2010 02:10 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Given instructed his agent to get him another club, in the October before the window opened, despite all the positive noises he and the rest where making to us about stopping up. Of course he's free to find another club, but to cowardly leak his dissatisfaction to the papers via his brief was contemptible. Don't want to screw up the 5% of the fee for not asking for a transfer officially eh??? He only made it official when he was painted into a corner.
It wouldn't have killed to stay until May, he could still have taken his pick of decent clubs, because he is, despite my antipathy towards him, a very good keeper.
I don't wish him ill-will at citeh, any more than I wish Bassong ill-will at spurts, I just couldn't care less what they do after they leave us tbh. They didn't want to be here, they left, good bye, don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.
The only one i have an element of feeling for is Milner, who was treat appallingly by the club.
11th April 2010 02:11 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

i cant recall given making noises from october. i can remember him stopping a cricket score against liverpool, and asking to leave after that. he could have waited until the end of the season, but if we are pulling that note so could keegan...

given, wanted to leave, asked told his agent, released a statement saying he wanted to leave. what is the problem? people are just bitter about it for no reason.
milner did exactly the same thing, but change the word agent with 'PFA' and he did it a few months previous. nothing different.
11th April 2010 02:15 PM
hayzie Offline

Youth Team

its got fuck about whether hes not a geordie, last time i checked milner wasnt a geordie

there is a big difference between an EX PLAYER and a player at another club on about a previous club. The reason given upset alot of fans was the way he went about his move, yes you can be unhappy somewhere and decide its time to move on since everyone does it in their jobs, it was the way he instructed his brief in oct/nov to find him a new club yet making noises about doing everything he could to ensure we stayed a prem club, if that was true he would have told his brief to find him a club in the summer not in the middle of the season

and there is a huge difference between leaving a club for that and leaving a club that has shipped you out on loan, agreed a fee then at the last minute tell him he cant leave, the club fucked him over with that deal so it came as no surprise that he left the club eventually i doubt anyone would stay with an employer that treat them the same
11th April 2010 02:19 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

As far as i'm concerned this isn't about nationality, i've certainly not brought it up because for me it's irrelevant, so i'm not buying that at all. Secondly, during the court case Given is/was having against a former advisor, the said advisor stated that he met Given after a ROI international in that time, and he was instructed to get Given a move. All a matter of record. I can understand why KK walked, but i'd have thought allegedly grown men could have sorted it out in time.
As manager he was given certain guarantees, backed by a tribunal, that where blatantly disregarded, which made his position untenable, again, a matter of record.
Given's solicitor, not even his agent, leaked his client's thoughts to the papers, again, a matter of record. He only put an official request in when it made clear that he wouldn't be going anywhere otherwise. Although i'm prepared to admit to making an assumption on that point, but it did seem that was the course of events.
Milner was bounced back and forth between us and Villa to the extent the poor sod probably didn't know what top to put on. Totally different circumstances.
11th April 2010 02:25 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

have i missed something as i cant recall this at all?

no proof of it whatsoever.

so yeah shay is unprofessional cos he talks about newcastle despite the fact he no longer plays for them. hmmm that definition of unprofessional must be in the oxford or collins dictionary is it?

but a player who was on loan at a club and leaves for it at a later date is exempt from getting stick.

people can say 'the way given went about his move was wrong' etc

what the fuck do you want him to do. seems quite the norm to me.

you want to leave a club

you tell your agent you want to leave your club

your agent makes it known you want to leave a club

and you leave the club

bottom line thats the way its done.

or what way would you have prefered given to leave. milner did exactly the same but is exempt from any stick whatsoever.
11th April 2010 02:26 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

Secondly, during the court case Given is/was having against a former advisor, the said advisor stated that he met Given after a ROI international in that time, and he was instructed to get Given a move

this as far as im concerned is lies ven. theres no record, proof or any notion of the above ever happening.
(This post was last modified: 11th April 2010 02:31 PM by viana45.)
11th April 2010 02:28 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

i recall a man trying to sue given to make some money of course, and making up porkie pies to get his share of money. but yet again nowt was proved/concrete or anything.
11th April 2010 02:32 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

viana45 Wrote:Secondly, during the court case Given is/was having against a former advisor, the said advisor stated that he met Given after a ROI international in that time, and he was instructed to get Given a move

this as far as im concerned is lies ven. theres no record, proof or any notion of the above ever happening.

It came out in open court during the case between Given and a former advisor, I don't obviously have access to the court records, but it was widely reported and not denied by Given. But he definately had his brief leak stuff in a critical period for us, instead of just doing the job right and putting an official request in. Nobody would have begrudged him a move if he'd waited until May, because we understand his frustrations, but saying that, he never had any problems signing every contract he was offered.
He is a fine keeper, as good as i've seen at SJP for us, so this isn't about his ability, or, I repeat, his nationality. The way he left, left a nasty taste in the mouth that's all.
11th April 2010 02:42 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

viana45 Wrote:i recall a man trying to sue given to make some money of course, and making up porkie pies to get his share of money. but yet again nowt was proved/concrete or anything.

If this is proved the case, then I stand to be corrected and would happily concede, but the fact that Given hasn't denied it does make me wonder.
11th April 2010 02:44 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

i think you are referring to this

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-...-25717993/

a claim a man made.

not fact.

a claim he made to get a bit of money.
11th April 2010 02:47 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

viana45 Wrote:i think you are referring to this

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-...-25717993/

a claim a man made.

not fact.

a claim he made to get a bit of money.

It hasn't been legally disclaimed according to that. Whether he (the claimant)was a money grubber or not is immaterial, it hasn't been denied that Given was angling for a move behind the scenes.
11th April 2010 03:12 PM
Thread Closed