Thread Closed 
Keegan versus Hughton.
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

92/93 Pts 96 Goals for 92 against 38
09/10 Pts 92 Goals for 83 against 32 with 4 games to go.

Different era, different circumstances. Bottom line is though the records are very similar. For all the functional results we ground out before Xmas, I think we've played some great football since and some of the goals and games have been great to watch.

It would be easy to dismiss this season's achievement as not as good as the last promotion season, but perhaps a lot of that is the hindsight about what followed the last promotion. For all KK's rhetoric at the time, no one really knew how the team would fair in the Prem.

Having witnessed both seasons I can remember watching one or two dull 1-0's etc in 92/93. It's not the current crop of players and manager's fault that the last time we went up there was more of a feelgood factor and genuine hope in the club - if anything it has been harder for them given the animosity the fans have for the regime.

I suppose this is a round about way of saying well done Hughton & the lads for giving us a good season and something to shout about Big Grin
11th April 2010 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Keegan versus Hughton.

Oh God Lip....don't compare the two! People on here will have a fit!

By the end of the season, it will seem Hughton will have a better all round record, in a much tougher environment with fitter players, stronger players up against you.

Some won't give Hughton or any other manager the credit they deserve simply because they aren't Keegan.
11th April 2010 10:07 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
Keegan versus Hughton.

Are you saying that some people on here dislike Hughton, as much as you dislike Keegan.
11th April 2010 10:14 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Keegan versus Hughton.

I don't dislike Keegan. I love what he did in his initial spell. But life goes on after him. We'll soon find someone who can surpass Keegan and actually win us something.
11th April 2010 10:16 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
Keegan versus Hughton.

You seem to have digs at the bloke all the time, what did you accuse him of the other day, fleecing the club wasn't it?
11th April 2010 10:21 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Keegan versus Hughton.

To be honest, I just tire of people harking after him. People seem to benchmark eveyone against him including Hughton. The thing is Hughton has a better record than him, or at least he probably will have come the end of the season so I don't get why people won't give him the credit he deserves and just get behind him instead of doubting him?

People on here are well aware of my thoughts on the whole Keegan sueing the club for some daft sum earlier in the year. It was unwarrented and was only accepted because it was him. Had it been Allerdyce or Souness unde the same circumstances people would have been calling for their heads and declaring them to be greedy cunts. But because it's the untouchable one...it was a different story.
11th April 2010 10:31 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

Quote:We'll soon find someone who can surpass Keegan and actually win us something.

Not in my lifetime m8 and probably not in yours neither.
11th April 2010 10:32 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Keegan versus Hughton.

I do live in hope...
11th April 2010 10:33 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

Quote:The thing is Hughton has a better record than him, or at least he probably will have come the end of the season

Well it wasnt exactly hard m8 this league is fucking garbage and having the international players we have against the plodders in this league Hughton should overtake KK record.
11th April 2010 10:34 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Keegan versus Hughton.

It's all relative Rotti. We had the best team in 92/93 too by a country mile.
11th April 2010 10:37 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

So why did everyone expect us to struggle Rotti?
11th April 2010 10:37 AM
viana45 Offline

Banned
Keegan versus Hughton.

errrrrm comparing keegan to hughton.....

keegan stopped a rubbish team from disappearing from existence to glory in 2-3 years.
hughton managed a team of 'superstars' who got relegated and guided them back into the PL

chalk and cheese IMO
11th April 2010 10:38 AM
viana45 Offline

Banned
Keegan versus Hughton.

keegan built a great side, hughton 'built' a side that won the championship.

idiotic to compare the two
11th April 2010 10:39 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Keegan versus Hughton.

Did Hughton not stop a rubbish team from disappearing into obscurity? I'm sure if we look back to some of threads from last summer thats where we al expected us to go.
11th April 2010 10:40 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

viana45 Wrote:errrrrm comparing keegan to hughton.....

keegan stopped a rubbish team from disappearing from existence to glory in 2-3 years.
hughton managed a team of 'superstars' who got relegated and guided them back into the PL

chalk and cheese IMO

Yet nobody expected us to bounce straight back up...

Nobody expected it to be this easy.

Nobody is saying Hughton is as good as KK either, just comparing both records in this division and claiming that both deserve equal praise.

Hughton won't take us this "glory" in the next 2 or 3 years. But tbf, neither would KK if he was in charge at the minute.
11th April 2010 10:41 AM
viana45 Offline

Banned
Keegan versus Hughton.

The Steve Wrote:Oh God Lip....don't compare the two! People on here will have a fit!

By the end of the season, it will seem Hughton will have a better all round record, in a much tougher environment with fitter players, stronger players up against you.

Some won't give Hughton or any other manager the credit they deserve simply because they aren't Keegan.

in a tougher invironment? erm no hughton has state of the art facilities, he has the leagues top players, something keegan didnt have, keegan bought great players ie kilcline for the league we were in. hughton inherited a top championship side, keegan inheritied a bottom championship side. keegan had shite training facilities the lot. keegan had it all to lose after ending his great career here, hughton had nothing to lose by taking the job.
11th April 2010 10:41 AM
viana45 Offline

Banned
Keegan versus Hughton.

hughton inherited a PL team that was easily capable of walking this league. i feared for nufc last summer cos it appeared that ashley would sell out whole team. as it wouldnt be unlike him.

as i side, keegan inherited a team that wasnt capable in the 2nd tier, and turned it around.
hughton inherited a team of international players, and certainly players who would be better than any other 'in this league'

its not taking away a good job hughton has done. but it certianly hasnt overshadowed keegan. and this isnt cos we all love keegan.
its because that is what has actually happened.
11th April 2010 10:44 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
Keegan versus Hughton.

richyNUFC Wrote:So why did everyone expect us to struggle Rotti?

Leyton Orient 6-1 NUFC, that made me worry a little
11th April 2010 10:46 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

I think al lot of us expected us to struggle because we were expecting more players to be sold than was sold and having just been relegated a lot of fans were gutted and probably didnt expect too much from this team but they (the players) and Hughton have proven us wrong.
11th April 2010 10:47 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

viana45 Wrote:hughton inherited a PL team that was easily capable of walking this league. i feared for nufc last summer cos it appeared that ashley would sell out whole team. as it wouldnt be unlike him.

as i side, keegan inherited a team that wasnt capable in the 2nd tier, and turned it around.
hughton inherited a team of international players, and certainly players who would be better than any other 'in this league'

its not taking away a good job hughton has done. but it certianly hasnt overshadowed keegan. and this isnt cos we all love keegan.
its because that is what has actually happened.

Nobody said it overshadowed Keegan. Rolleyes
11th April 2010 10:47 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

Never even thought of that Chris Big Grin
11th April 2010 10:48 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
Keegan versus Hughton.

rotti Wrote:Never even thought of that Chris Big Grin

It will be interesting to see what we all said after that defeat rotti Big Grin

It would have been meltdown on here.

Hughton Deserves massive credit, and he deserves a shot at the premier.
(This post was last modified: 11th April 2010 10:52 AM by Chris_NUFC.)
11th April 2010 10:50 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

No doubts m8 im sure someone will dredge them up LOL.
11th April 2010 10:51 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

Chris_NUFC Wrote:Leyton Orient 6-1 NUFC, that made me worry a little

Exactly.

Not many expected us to come straight back up. Especially not so comfortably.

rotti Wrote:I think al lot of us expected us to struggle because we were expecting more players to be sold than was sold and having just been relegated a lot of fans were gutted and probably didnt expect too much from this team but they (the players) and Hughton have proven us wrong.

Aye and that's Lip's point I think.

Everybody around the club was gutted and expecting bad times yet we've been proven wrong and that's why it should feel just as good as last time.
11th April 2010 10:52 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

Chris_NUFC Wrote:It will be interesting to see what we all said after that defeat rotti Big Grin

It would have been meltdown on here.

Hughton Deserves massive credit, and he deserves a shot at the premier.

Exactly. Most of us were saying we're in for a tough season. I thought we'd struggle to make the playoffs.
11th April 2010 10:54 AM
Silent Bob Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

hehe

http://talk-of-the-tyne.co.uk/forums/sho...php?t=6600

http://talk-of-the-tyne.co.uk/forums/sho...php?t=6601

Quote:
rodofgod Wrote:Hughton couldn't motivate a fucking hand grenade that cunt!!!

Big Grin
11th April 2010 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BIFFAPOTAMUS Offline

Youth Team
Keegan versus Hughton.

The Steve Wrote:To be honest, I just tire of people harking after him. People seem to benchmark eveyone against him including Hughton. The thing is Hughton has a better record than him, or at least he probably will have come the end of the season so I don't get why people won't give him the credit he deserves and just get behind him instead of doubting him?

People on here are well aware of my thoughts on the whole Keegan sueing the club for some daft sum earlier in the year. It was unwarrented and was only accepted because it was him. Had it been Allerdyce or Souness unde the same circumstances people would have been calling for their heads and declaring them to be greedy cunts. But because it's the untouchable one...it was a different story.

I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't those two useless shitebags walk away with more money from our club than KK did? 'The untouchable one' at the very least should've had the remainder of his contract paid up, just like those two useless twunts - or do you think they were better for NUFC than KK? Do you, in all honesty, think that Chris Hughton is a better manager for Newcastle United than Kevin Keegan? Sometimes, I just fucking despair at the 'spasticated logic' (your phrase, remember) of some people.
11th April 2010 11:08 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
Keegan versus Hughton.

richyNUFC Wrote:Exactly.

Not many expected us to come straight back up. Especially not so comfortably.

Aye and that's Lip's point I think.

Everybody around the club was gutted and expecting bad times yet we've been proven wrong and that's why it should feel just as good as last time.

Yup, that is my point rich.

It is death for a club to constantly compare to a "golden era". Forest cannot escape the Clough era, Leeds the Revie, Liverpool the 70's and 80's, Villa under Saunders, Everton under Kendall. It goes on.

The sign of a growing club is to accept the past for what it was and move on.

For me Hughton could prove to be a good man for us in the Prem - just like Keegan did after the last promotion. The point is it's far too easy to look back at Keegan's promotion season and add extra glory to it because of what happened subsequently.
If anything Hughton and the current lot are suffering because we have a whole generation of fans who were brought up on a diet of Prem football and top players.
When we went up last time all I'd been used to was a diet of shite, lies and shattered dreams - even worse than the ones we have had over the last few years believe it or not.
11th April 2010 11:15 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
Keegan versus Hughton.

BIFFAPOTAMUS Wrote:I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong but didn't those two useless shitebags walk away with more money from our club than KK did?

I think you're right about that you know
11th April 2010 11:39 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman
Keegan versus Hughton.

The day that Hughton gets us one match from winning the Premiership is the day that I will say 'yes hughton is as good a manager as Keegan'. Until then the two are poles apart.

And another thing, Steve, if you're so keen to compare stats between the two managers, do it on a Premiership level, as the championship is so poor ( and always has been ) true comparisons are difficult to make as even the average in this league look like world beaters.
Their stats, when compared against one another at Premiership level, will speak volumes.
11th April 2010 11:53 AM
Thread Closed