Thread Closed 
How long will Hughton last?
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Got to admit I am warming a bit to Hughton's style. I always liked him as an individual but had severe doubts over his abilities.

However, the more I think about it the more the idea that he will be our manager next season appeals to me. I have little faith in most managers - majority of them are chancers and fakes. Just look at the Prem - Allardyce, Laws, Dowie, Grant, Bruce, Zola, Martinez, McCarthy.
I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy if any of them showed up at SJP, but at the moment this is the sort of standard I think that Ashley is capable of attracting.

So unless we got a top notch man who was given a big transfer kitty, eg. Sven, O'Neill, Hodgson, Hughes, Moyes - is there much of a point swapping Hughton for yet another no-mark in the mould of Souness/Roeder/Allardyce/Kinnear, before the lad is given his chance to show what he can really do in the summer and beyond?

But wanting nice things to happen and them actually happening are two different things.

Personally I think Hughton will have done well if he lasts until January - cos if we are struggling Ashley will have no compunction about protecting his assets and firing the manager.
11th April 2010 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Well m8 i dont rate Hughton like some do on here but he deserves his crack in the premier league. If it goes tits up then he will be replaced but with who ???. Look what happened when they got rid of KK we ended up with a heart-attack waiting to happen in JK, then Shearer was brought in with little success.

Im hoping he will sell in the summer before a ball is kicked. Its in his own interests to sell up before the new season kicks off because if we do as bad as we could do with little investment he has no chance of selling the club.
11th April 2010 09:26 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:Well m8 i dont rate Hughton like some do on here but he deserves his crack in the premier league. If it goes tits up then he will be replaced but with who ???. Look what happened when they got rid of KK we ended up with a heart-attack waiting to happen in JK, then Shearer was brought in with little success.

Im hoping he will sell in the summer before a ball is kicked. Its in his own interests to sell up before the new season kicks off because if we do as bad as we could do with little investment he has no chance of selling the club.

I've heard some journo's swear blind that Ashley is selling up in the summer and some say the opposite, both claiming inside information!

The ideal scenario would be what you describe. I find it very hard to tell whay Ashley will do next. One thing I do know is that he will not spend big on transfers - and that being the case Hughton is his preferred man in charge.
But like you say - if Hughton is sacked mid-season I worry who on earth Ashley will dig up this time.
11th April 2010 09:30 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

I really think he will try and sell the club before the new season starts m8 its his best chance to get most of his investment back.

He has lowered the wage bill by half and we will get 52k every home game so any potential new owner must think we are worth a punt.

Saying that with Man City being as wealthy as they are is it really worth buying a club if your say worth £200m-£400m.

Football isnt a profitable business really so unless a new owner is a fan of ours who the fuck is going to buy a club that has more chance of going back down than finishing in the top 6.
11th April 2010 09:37 AM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

The theory about Ashley selling up, such as it is, goes along the lines of the club being in a better financial state then it was, operating costs down, wage bill slashed, promising young players coming through etc, then add in the fact we are back in the Premier league and the whole thing starts to look very attractive.

The main point, or so the journos believe, is that there is a growing market in Far East and Asian countries for Premiership football, and thus there is a market for clubs to push themselves over in that part of the world including television deals for Asian and Eastern networks, and all the possible merchandise you could flog, etc, etc.

The theory goes that Newcastle are the most attractive club outside of the top four to a potential Eastern investor, and would be the easiest to buy as Ashley would not take a great deal of encouragement to sell up as long as he gets his money back.

Whether that is bullshit or not I don't know, but that is the theory anyway.
11th April 2010 01:57 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Of course, the snag about wishing Ashley gone, is that you may end up with a bigger charlatan, Portsmouth are a testimony to that. It's almost impossible to 2nd guess the wretch, but I would imagine that the first offer to make him his money back at least, would see him heading back south like shit off a shiny shovel.
11th April 2010 02:02 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

Ive always thought Ashley would sell if we went up.

Prior to buying us he had kept a very low profile in business and was very successful

Since buying the club hes been in the media spotlight with the club and hi9s business

i am sure he would rather focus on his business and if by selling the club he can do that he will

he knows we wont accept him like he wants us to, and that hurts him.

he also knows that without us he wont maximise his reutrn on the club

its too much like hard work in comparison to knocking our cheap goods from the far east
11th April 2010 05:52 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

and then i can go and watch a home game

As for Hughton, i recognise his achievements this year, as well as his ambition to manage at the top of the game

i dont think he matches our "delusional" ambition but if he keeps us up then fair enough
11th April 2010 05:55 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Venegoor Wrote:Of course, the snag about wishing Ashley gone, is that you may end up with a bigger charlatan, Portsmouth are a testimony to that. It's almost impossible to 2nd guess the wretch, but I would imagine that the first offer to make him his money back at least, would see him heading back south like shit off a shiny shovel.

got to admit I thought anyone who bought the club had to be better than Shepherd....oh the joys of hindsight.
The day I found out Ashley had bought the club I was showing off to some bloke in a bar on holiday, and he said to me "well there's billionaires and there's billionaires". Prophetic words.

It is a worry who may end up with the club. Do we suffer being a no-mark club but with no financial worries under Ashley - or run the risk of being another Portsmouth etc?

Here's hoping it's third time lucky with the new owners and we are the next Man City. Sod poverty! Big Grin
11th April 2010 07:37 PM
McCreery Offline

First Team Regular

here's a thing......why don't we give him all season

I honestly think if anyone is expecting anything other than survival they are fuckin mad in the heed

therefore survival will take all season to achieve hence giving the bloke all season

thats a full season without shouting for him sacked......all season then?
11th April 2010 07:40 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

Mac

you've got nee chance

christ we've already discussed Mourinho coming, today Sven, Mark Hughes and others mentioned, not forgetting the KK bollocks

Im with you on the season, i even said if he keeps us up I'm happy
(This post was last modified: 11th April 2010 07:48 PM by tino.)
11th April 2010 07:47 PM
McCreery Offline

First Team Regular

for the past 10 years or so I remember wanting shot of such and such cos they were shite and if we'd gone for such and such they'd be much better.........whether that has been players or managers it has just about always never worked out for the best

the way I see it is that we are going to struggle next season on a shoe string budget......we've struggled for plenty of seasons after spunking millions so I am prepared to give the one manager that seems to have a truly united bunch of players mor than just a few months before shipping him out
11th April 2010 08:16 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

McCreery Wrote:here's a thing......why don't we give him all season

I honestly think if anyone is expecting anything other than survival they are fuckin mad in the heed

therefore survival will take all season to achieve hence giving the bloke all season

thats a full season without shouting for him sacked......all season then?

Totally agree mate, said this many times.

If we're struggling after 7 games, there'll be fans saying he's not good enough. But the target is to stay up, and that takes a full season, not 7 games.
11th April 2010 08:46 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

People need to screw their heads on, like many have said survival is target number one. Anything more is a bonus. We won't get that if we piss about with loads of managers.
11th April 2010 10:26 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

So why in fops poll have some people said we will get a top 6 place. Id be fucking delighted if we finished in 17th place id take that now if it were offered.
12th April 2010 08:18 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:So why in fops poll have some people said we will get a top 6 place. Id be fucking delighted if we finished in 17th place id take that now if it were offered.

Who said top 6? Big Grin
12th April 2010 08:45 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Jimmy did i think, a few 7th/8th places aswell.
12th April 2010 10:54 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

I think the top 6 was Jinky, I reckon that was a bit of a piss take tbh Big Grin
12th April 2010 11:02 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter

Mac a question for you, are you willing to stick with Hughton even if it means relegation?

I would take 17th now BTW.
12th April 2010 11:14 AM
McCreery Offline

First Team Regular

it's a difficult one to answer.........I would hope that survival would take the whole season (rather than going down at the earliest opportunity with a record lows points total)....so I see it as sticking by Hughton all season

If he got 30 or 40 million to spend and wasted it and we lost every game you'd have to question it but if he gets fuck all to spend (relatively) you'd have to ask who could do a better job with the same resources
12th April 2010 11:29 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

McCreery Wrote:it's a difficult one to answer.........I would hope that survival would take the whole season (rather than going down at the earliest opportunity with a record lows points total)....so I see it as sticking by Hughton all season

If he got 30 or 40 million to spend and wasted it and we lost every game you'd have to question it but if he gets fuck all to spend (relatively) you'd have to ask who could do a better job with the same resources

Agree again Mac.
12th April 2010 11:30 AM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

As do i.
12th April 2010 11:31 AM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter

It is a bit of a difficult question, it could easily go to the last game of the season.Then again we might be well clear of the relegation dogfight.

What i am probably talking about is if we are a bit adrift at the bottom, worse case scenario kind of thing.Do we stick with him because of what he has done this season.

The reason i asked, on another forum, the other day, some lad wrote we should stick with Hughton no matter where we end up next season, we need stability.I asked even if it that meant relegation, and it was answered yes.I just couldn't get my head around it, do stability and failure mix? if that was the case we should have stuck with Souness.

The word stability gets thrown around all the time.Stability is only a good thing when you're moving forward, even if it is one step at a time.Relegation would be a giant leap backwards.

I would be delighted with 17th next season.
12th April 2010 12:16 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Chris_NUFC Wrote:The word stability gets thrown around all the time.Stability is only a good thing when you're moving forward, even if it is one step at a time.Relegation would be a giant leap backwards.

I would be delighted with 17th next season.

I agree.

We can't afford to go down again.

I'd definitely keep Hughton until, well until it's too late to be honest. Confused

I'd like to think that given the full season he'd keep us up. If it becomes plainly obvious that we're not going to do it under Hughton, then make the change, but for me that should only happen about 20+ games into the season. That could be too late though.

I don't think though, that this fear of going down again, means we should change the manager. I think that fear will be there, whoever is in charge.
12th April 2010 12:27 PM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter

Like i say hopefully we are well clear of the relegation zone, and any decisions like this are not needed
12th April 2010 12:38 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Quote:We can't afford to go down again

You mean Ashley cant afford it to happen. But i reckon he would do ok if we did go straight back down because he knows there will be 45k at every home game and he will still have a low wage bill.
12th April 2010 01:35 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:You mean Ashley cant afford it to happen. But i reckon he would do ok if we did go straight back down because he knows there will be 45k at every home game and he will still have a low wage bill.

Nah I didn't mean in terms of money.

I mean if we go down again, then that'll be it. We'll be a yoyo club for the next few years.
12th April 2010 01:40 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

I think we will be a yoyoy club untill Ashley fucks off m8. He has stated he wont invest anymore money in the club i can only see new players coming in via players being sold.
12th April 2010 01:42 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:I think we will be a yoyoy club untill Ashley fucks off m8. He has stated he wont invest anymore money in the club i can only see new players coming in via players being sold.

We can still manage to stay up though, and improve step by step, and hopefully he'll be gone within the next few seasons without us suffering another relegation.
12th April 2010 01:44 PM
McCreery Offline

First Team Regular

I think for me the main stumbling block isn't necessarily the quality of the manager....it's the clueless fucker we've got in charge

this isn't about a club that can break world record transfer fees on players and still fail anymore.....this is now a club that will spend the bare minimum to stay in the most profitable league in the world

I honestly see survival as like winning a cup but deep down I'm expecting relegation

This season hasn't answered any questions regarding Ashley and I still don't trust him as far as I could throw the fat cunt........I'm still not sure if he actually has a plan for us or whether he'll just continue to make one fuck up after another
12th April 2010 05:17 PM
Thread Closed