Shane Long

Thread Closed 
Shane Long

McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Shane Long

scored against Man U and Chelsea already...

were we ever interested and have we missed out?
21st August 2011 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user
viana45 Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Shane Long

Think we were.
Shame cos he's a great wee player.
In fact the way he plays is just what we need.
21st August 2011 09:14 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(21st August 2011 09:12 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.scored against Man U and Chelsea already...

we were linked. To be fair it is always going to be a risk buying a youngster from the lower leagues. He's got two decent goals, but is he the sort of player we would actually want right now for the number 9 shirt at NUFC?

Interesting that the player Sunderland payed £15m for only come on in the 82nd minute. I'm all for investing in youth, but for that sort of cash I would expect the finished article.
21st August 2011 09:52 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

I think if we had signed him people would have a go for signing a lower league striker.

He's had a good start, but remember Marco Negri for Rangers? Scored about 30 by Christmas and never scored again!
21st August 2011 10:05 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(21st August 2011 10:05 AM)The Steve Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I think if we had signed him people would have a go for signing a lower league striker.

He's had a good start, but remember Marco Negri for Rangers? Scored about 30 by Christmas and never scored again!

precisely. we have made some cracking signings this summer, but in reality we need a marquee number nine signing. I think the club have tried but due to a touch of the Wengers are unwilling to pay over the odds.

In some ways this is admirable. If anything yesterdays match proved that throwing £15m at an untried kid like Whickham does not pay instant dividends (indeed paying £35m for one is illustrated well at LFC but that is another story).

Let's just hope that we manage to replicate the Tiote or Cabaye deal with a ready-made number 9.
21st August 2011 09:40 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Let's hope so. Getting Pieters/Sissoko and one of these highly rated striker types could really set us up for a decent season.

Don't let us down again. Not whilst we riding the waves if optimism!
21st August 2011 11:18 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

(21st August 2011 09:12 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.scored against Man U and Chelsea already...

some may say that de gea and alex were at fault for his goals,..but even after dispossesing alex he still had plenty to do, and his calmness as he shot past hilario was impressive..
22nd August 2011 08:18 AM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

Long is a good player, would have loved to see us sign him. Hopefully we sign someone even better though and we'll forget all about the players we missed out on.
22nd August 2011 08:39 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Would he really have settled the nerves here and had people thinking he was a good signing or would people say it lacked ambition going for the likes of Long?
22nd August 2011 09:45 AM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

I think people would've complained that it showed a lack of ambition signing someone from the lower leagues. If he had scored 2 in 2 for us though people would start to accept him.
22nd August 2011 09:47 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

The same didn't really happen for Best. He still had his detractors.

Same goes for Shola.
22nd August 2011 09:52 AM

Thread Closed