Thread Closed 
The new NUFC
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

NUFC for the past 17 years has been a rollercoaster of emotions - mostly good, but a lot of average shyte and absolute shyte to contend with (Chop Souey, Allarshyte, Dogleash and Stringy hair Gullit).

I would say that for most of that time we spent reasonably wisely and had a net spent of approx £6-7 million per year.

We then spunked a fortune under Chop Souey, which ultimately hung over our heeds until finally we succumbed to littering our squad with overpaid lazy prima donnas, who didn't give a fuck about this club (Owen, Viduka, Martins, Duff) contributing to a relegation that should have been easily avoiding bearing in mind the shit like Hull City that stayed up.

What of the future now we have made our glorious return?

Well for me one big thing I am impressed with is the comaraderie and team spirit that Hughton has developed.

We also have a very good youth set up now, which has took some time to come to fruition - in our first team squad alone - regulars and players who have played a fair few games such as Carroll, Ameobi, Harper, S Taylor, Kadar, Ranger have all come through the ranks - we also have the likes of Krul on the fringes, our youth team are one step away froman FA Youth Cup Final.

I think we should stop chasing the overpaid names and go for young hungry talented players we can develop and who will fit into our good team morale and spirit.

I would invest heavily in our scouting network over the next 5 years and try and bring in the future stars. It is the only way we can genuinely compete with the mega bucks of the Arabs running Citeh and the Russian running Chelsea.

It is what one of the most attractive sides in the country consistently do - Arsenal and Wenger's model (although lacking a trophy in the last 4 years) is a sustainable one and has reaped it's rewards and they regularly compete at the top level.

The young hungry (if you'll pardon the pun) Africans who are full of energy are very strong and have ability are nurtured into top class players.

You can then run your club on a sustainable footing and it frees up money to buy the odd "star" player - such as a Van Persie to fit in with the rest of them.

I believe Ashley has always wanted to go down this route, but he underestimated the disgust for Denise Wise , he didn't understand that KK is an impatient man who believes in the here and now and not a long term plan, so he was always going to want lots of trophy signings who were already established in the game, therefore requiring top dollar wages, he has made lots of mistakes and his lack of communication with the fans is his biggest downfall, as we thirst for information about our club and it's direction.

Well Mike you can start to get this right now, back your man, he deserves it after this year, give him the necessary funds to put some pace and quality into the midfield and strikeforce, allow him to buy the young stars of the future, invest in scouting and youth development and the rewards will come.

The one thing about NUFC that is consistent is the fanbase, still unbelievable, still unrivalled, still loud proud and committed.

I'm realistic about next season it is going to be hard work - but I don't want us to spunk all our funds on players looking for a final payday or just interested in wages, I want young, hungry, talented stars of the future who can go into the season confident and with no fear, supporting by the experienced lads we already have.

Ho'way the new refreshed and invigorated Toon!
8th April 2010 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user
tino Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

when Harper came through the ranks they still used caseys, the club gave his mam a new washer with mangle, and off he trotted with his leather suitcase and new segs in his clogs
8th April 2010 10:04 PM
NE1 Online

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

tino Wrote:when Harper came through the ranks they still used caseys, the club gave his mam a new washer with mangle, and off he trotted with his leather suitcase and new segs in his clogs

Aye Tino, & that was only 1995 in Easington. It is just getting around to B&W analogue TVs now.
9th April 2010 08:04 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
The new NUFC

As you say, though, LL - that was pretty much fat mike's plan all along. The very core of his 5 year plan that you, and many others, derided.

The DoF route was disastrous and sadly it took him too long to realise that. For me, that was the main problem with his 5 year plan - the mistaken belief that the continental model was in some way superior (despite, at the time, the CL semi finals including 3 english teams and 1 continental team).

Keegan and his signings weren't the problem, Dennis fucking Wise was the problem. The sale and purchase of players over the manager's head were inexcusable. Oddly enough, right now - with a coach like Hughton in the hotseat - it might have actually worked if you could have got a DoF who understood NUFC and worked with Hughton, instead of trying to overrule him, as Hughton doesn't have the experience and presence in the transfer market of a Keegan or whoever (still has more than Dennis Wise, mind).

As I've said from day one, I actually believe in Ashley's business model. I just don't believe in Ashley.
9th April 2010 08:04 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

Workshy Fop Wrote:As you say, though, LL - that was pretty much fat mike's plan all along. The very core of his 5 year plan that you, and many others, derided.

The DoF route was disastrous and sadly it took him too long to realise that. For me, that was the main problem with his 5 year plan - the mistaken belief that the continental model was in some way superior (despite, at the time, the CL semi finals including 3 english teams and 1 continental team).

Keegan and his signings weren't the problem, Dennis fucking Wise was the problem. The sale and purchase of players over the manager's head were inexcusable. Oddly enough, right now - with a coach like Hughton in the hotseat - it might have actually worked if you could have got a DoF who understood NUFC and worked with Hughton, instead of trying to overrule him, as Hughton doesn't have the experience and presence in the transfer market of a Keegan or whoever (still has more than Dennis Wise, mind).

As I've said from day one, I actually believe in Ashley's business model. I just don't believe in Ashley.

Agree.
9th April 2010 08:45 AM
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

Thats the problem the experienced lads took us down last season..
9th April 2010 08:49 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

Nah Lucy, the experienced lads were part of a team that took us down. A team that included a lot of players that clearly didn't want to be here.

Most of those have fucked off, others have changed their minds since and grown to enjoy it here. It'll be different now.
9th April 2010 08:52 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

LucyBig Grin

I'd go back to figsdad mate, if that catches on.
9th April 2010 08:59 AM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

I honestly couldn't blame anyone for wanting away last season

for the last few years the club has been an absolute shambles which culminated last season in a team managed by four different managers with only one of them having any top flight experience and that was fuckin years ago

I'd expect loyalty from players who are in a steady setup with a definite plan for the future but I honestly can't blame anyone for wanting away last season because I wouldn't want to work for an ignorant, clueless cunt like Ashley and I bet not many of you would either

Obviously the players last season have to take some blame but without doubt the bulk of the blame should firmly rest with Ashley.....his decisions cost us far more points than any other factor

(This post was last modified: 9th April 2010 09:08 AM by McCreery.)
9th April 2010 09:04 AM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

He doesn't pay extra on bank holidays
9th April 2010 09:06 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

Hard to disagree with that Macca.
9th April 2010 09:07 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

McCreery Wrote:I honestly couldn't blame anyone for wanting away last season

Oh aye I don't blame them for wanting out.

But a team full of players wanting to leave is not going to play as well as our current team.
9th April 2010 09:22 AM
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

No we all know Owen let us down he could scored the goals that kept us up..

But he coudn't be arsed...
9th April 2010 09:24 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

Not just Owen.

Him, Martins, Viduka...they all missed sitters at home to Pompey. If one of them had scored the winner, we'd be up. Or Lovernkrands' miss at home to Everton...

Can't pin it down to one player, and we can't put all the blame on those missed chances either, because as a team, ever since KK left the spirit wasn't there and we weren't good enough all round in the end.
9th April 2010 09:28 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

LeazesLoyal Wrote:NUFC for the past 17 years has been a rollercoaster of emotions - mostly good, but a lot of average shyte and absolute shyte to contend with (Chop Souey, Allarshyte, Dogleash and Stringy hair Gullit).

I would say that for most of that time we spent reasonably wisely and had a net spent of approx £6-7 million per year.

We then spunked a fortune under Chop Souey, which ultimately hung over our heeds until finally we succumbed to littering our squad with overpaid lazy prima donnas, who didn't give a fuck about this club (Owen, Viduka, Martins, Duff) contributing to a relegation that should have been easily avoiding bearing in mind the shit like Hull City that stayed up.

What of the future now we have made our glorious return?

Well for me one big thing I am impressed with is the comaraderie and team spirit that Hughton has developed.

We also have a very good youth set up now, which has took some time to come to fruition - in our first team squad alone - regulars and players who have played a fair few games such as Carroll, Ameobi, Harper, S Taylor, Kadar, Ranger have all come through the ranks - we also have the likes of Krul on the fringes, our youth team are one step away froman FA Youth Cup Final.

I think we should stop chasing the overpaid names and go for young hungry talented players we can develop and who will fit into our good team morale and spirit.

I would invest heavily in our scouting network over the next 5 years and try and bring in the future stars. It is the only way we can genuinely compete with the mega bucks of the Arabs running Citeh and the Russian running Chelsea.

It is what one of the most attractive sides in the country consistently do - Arsenal and Wenger's model (although lacking a trophy in the last 4 years) is a sustainable one and has reaped it's rewards and they regularly compete at the top level.

The young hungry (if you'll pardon the pun) Africans who are full of energy are very strong and have ability are nurtured into top class players.

You can then run your club on a sustainable footing and it frees up money to buy the odd "star" player - such as a Van Persie to fit in with the rest of them.

I believe Ashley has always wanted to go down this route, but he underestimated the disgust for Denise Wise , he didn't understand that KK is an impatient man who believes in the here and now and not a long term plan, so he was always going to want lots of trophy signings who were already established in the game, therefore requiring top dollar wages, he has made lots of mistakes and his lack of communication with the fans is his biggest downfall, as we thirst for information about our club and it's direction.

Well Mike you can start to get this right now, back your man, he deserves it after this year, give him the necessary funds to put some pace and quality into the midfield and strikeforce, allow him to buy the young stars of the future, invest in scouting and youth development and the rewards will come.

The one thing about NUFC that is consistent is the fanbase, still unbelievable, still unrivalled, still loud proud and committed.

I'm realistic about next season it is going to be hard work - but I don't want us to spunk all our funds on players looking for a final payday or just interested in wages, I want young, hungry, talented stars of the future who can go into the season confident and with no fear, supporting by the experienced lads we already have.

Ho'way the new refreshed and invigorated Toon!

Don't agree really.

I don't think Ashley has any "model". This tosh about the "new Arsenal" was just more horseshit from Ashley to suit his purposes. If he really meant all this how come we signed Barton, Smith, Cacapa, Geremi, Beye etc etc?

And as for Keegan only signing established players - what about Cole, Lee, Gillespie, Warren Barton, Guthrie, Bassong, Ranger etc? And he was quick to blood local lads like Clarke, Watson etc. Keegan built a great side over a few seasons, buying and discarding as he saw fit. You severely underestimate his team building skills and I think you are perpetuating Ashley/Lambias propaganda that was disseminated when they were in dispute.

Also I dispute the Arsenal model is one to be emulated blindly. Yes, they have finished in the top 4 regularly but they have won absolutely nothing since top players like Viera and Henry have not been replaced. To be frank if Wenger got off his fuckin holier than thou high-horse and actually bought a few players they could be top of the league. Plus if his way was so simple to follow and worked why do not all clubs do it anyway?

Good sides are a mixture of youth, experience and quality. There is nothing wrong with having a good youth set-up, but I see little evidence at the club under Ashley that we have a genuine scouting network.

What you are proposing is that established players should not be bought in to raise the level of the team? So no more Shearers, Ferdinands, Ginolas, Asprillas, Roberts, Bellamys etc etc? We can't hang around for ever waiting for these young bucks to suddenly find form. Ask Arsenal fans.

To me this sort of thinking just plays into Ashley's hands. The guy is loaded and he needs to put his hand in his pocket and bolster this squad with quality of all ages.

We have already had a manager who believed in youth. Bobby Robson filled the side with hungry young quality players and it worked to a fashion. But he also recognised the need for quality "blue chip" players like Shearer, Speed and Lee. Players with experience as well as class.

This current squad is crying out for such players.

There is nothing wrong with buying quality, established players - it's just a case of buying good ones. This only happens when you have good managers like Keegan and Robson - to use Souness as an example of where spending money goes wrong forgets that Keegan and Robson also invested in players when they were needed.

My viewpoint is simple. Get your hands in your pocket you fat fucker and if Hughton cannot sign good players get a manager in who can.
(This post was last modified: 9th April 2010 09:56 AM by The_Flaming_Lip.)
9th April 2010 09:50 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
The new NUFC

Arguably though, lip, the experienced, established players should be the backbone of your team, and by team I mean in spirit as well as on the pitch.

Buy in some established stars like, oh, I don't know, Kluivert, Owen etc and they consider themselves the big fish. If you get lucky you get a Shearer who loves the club and who becomes a backbone for it for a decade. Get unlucky you get a star who is capable of raising the team's level, but who fractures team morale and when they run off to the highest bidder a season or so later you're left with a shattered team.

The way these teams should be built is the blend you describe, but your established stars should also be your established players, with the youth coming in to supplement them, and grow into the established stars of the Newcastle of the future, around whom the next wave of young players can form, and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

Ashley attempted to form his young, hungry squad around a backbone that didn't exist - spineless quitters who had no interest in fighting for the shirt and who had learned from Dyer that you could make millions without ever leaving the treatment table.

Now, arguably, we have an experienced backbone that want to fight for the shirt, and will - hopefully - instill that spirit into the youngsters around them. Bring in some £100m superstar, and you're crossing your fingers he's a Shearer, not an Owen.

You put Lionel Messi into our team and I reckon yes, we'd win some games through his sheer brilliance, but we'd become reliant on him, he would likely be someone who would not fight for the shirt, team spirit would dissolve into a "pass it to Messi" mentality, and when he left at the end of the season we'd be a mess.
9th April 2010 11:25 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain
The new NUFC

I'd do bloody cartwheels if we stopped in the Prem as long as the original post Smile
9th April 2010 11:37 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

Workshy Fop Wrote:Arguably though, lip, the experienced, established players should be the backbone of your team, and by team I mean in spirit as well as on the pitch.

Buy in some established stars like, oh, I don't know, Kluivert, Owen etc and they consider themselves the big fish. If you get lucky you get a Shearer who loves the club and who becomes a backbone for it for a decade. Get unlucky you get a star who is capable of raising the team's level, but who fractures team morale and when they run off to the highest bidder a season or so later you're left with a shattered team.

The way these teams should be built is the blend you describe, but your established stars should also be your established players, with the youth coming in to supplement them, and grow into the established stars of the Newcastle of the future, around whom the next wave of young players can form, and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

Ashley attempted to form his young, hungry squad around a backbone that didn't exist - spineless quitters who had no interest in fighting for the shirt and who had learned from Dyer that you could make millions without ever leaving the treatment table.

Now, arguably, we have an experienced backbone that want to fight for the shirt, and will - hopefully - instill that spirit into the youngsters around them. Bring in some £100m superstar, and you're crossing your fingers he's a Shearer, not an Owen.

You put Lionel Messi into our team and I reckon yes, we'd win some games through his sheer brilliance, but we'd become reliant on him, he would likely be someone who would not fight for the shirt, team spirit would dissolve into a "pass it to Messi" mentality, and when he left at the end of the season we'd be a mess.

You make the assumption that our established players, ie. Smith, Nolan, Butt, Shola etc, are in the same mould as our former "blue chip" players Shearer, Speed, Lee, Given etc.

They are not. We desperately need some quality players. Our current squad is simply not good enough to simply be supplemented with young players with potential as you and LL describe.

When Robson did this with Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas etc he did it with the knowledge that he had Shearer, Lee and Speed as the backbone of the team.

ps. crossing your fingers is not how good managers would view a big money signing. Keegan knew what he was getting in Shearer - Souness is and always was a second rate man.

Money does not guarantee success - but lack of money guarantees failure.
9th April 2010 12:39 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

"the new Arsenal"

remember when we bought into the new Ajax

and Sporting Club Newcastle

its all gimmicks to sell the dream to us

the truth is we live the dream daily, they merely have the capacity to make it true, they dont need to sell it to us
9th April 2010 01:03 PM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
The new NUFC

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:You make the assumption that our established players, ie. Smith, Nolan, Butt, Shola etc, are in the same mould as our former "blue chip" players Shearer, Speed, Lee, Given etc.

They are not. We desperately need some quality players. Our current squad is simply not good enough to simply be supplemented with young players with potential as you and LL describe.

When Robson did this with Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas etc he did it with the knowledge that he had Shearer, Lee and Speed as the backbone of the team.

ps. crossing your fingers is not how good managers would view a big money signing. Keegan knew what he was getting in Shearer - Souness is and always was a second rate man.

Money does not guarantee success - but lack of money guarantees failure.

Whilst I agree that our current established "backbone" is contemptible when compared to that of 10-15 years ago, I do believe that 4 journeymen working as a team are a more reliable structure for a squad than 2 journeymen and 2 wannabe superstars working for themselves.

Yes, we need better quality in the first team, as well as in the youth team, but spending hundreds of millions on players nearing the ends of their careers, who are more concerned about making sure they retire with a healthy bank balance than a drawer full of medals, is the mistake we made repeatedly for over a decade.

Yes, buy talent. Buy experienced known quality. Buy players who improve the team, but don't buy players who you are relying on to be a focal point for the team. If everyone else's instructions before the game are "pass to Lionel, he's brilliant and you're shit" then they are not going to develop at all.

So we're back to LL's first point - investing in the world class scouting system. All very well to say Keegan knew what he was getting in Shearer - we all did, someone black and white to the core who also happened to be world class. But Owen was also world class, so was Kluivert and any number of other "big" names that have crossed our threshold. We've bought thousands of proven internationals who just didn't care enough about NUFC or couldn't hack the weather or for whatever their reason was, just weren't up to the job.

We can't wait for the next geordie superstar any more than we can wait for a geordie Abramovich, so we've got to either buy the big name internationals and hope we don't strike it Luque, as it were, or we buy seasoned pros who are better than what we have, but not so "big" that they believe themselves more important than the club.

You are, however, right that lack of money guarantees failure. I can't believe that fat Mike hasn't worked that out by now, but nothing would particularly suprise me about him.
9th April 2010 01:15 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

I never said KK only bought established players - I meant this last time when he was here his targets were all established players.

As for blooding Clarkie and Watson they were already in the team under Ardiles who gave them their chance.

I am not going for some gimmick either - this has been a long time held belief of mine that to compete with the top 4 there are two choices to make and option 1 which is to spend spend spend is not an option unless we have some wealthy Arabs or similar in charge.

Option two is far more possible, realistic and long term will not saddle the club with debt, we could even make profit on it.

I'd rather spend £17million on scouting and youth development than finished lost all his pace mercenary who doesn't give a flying fuck about anything but trying to play for England.

How much could £17million buy us in terms of resources for scouting the world and getting the best up and coming players here?

A fucking lot I would think!
9th April 2010 04:25 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

LeazesLoyal Wrote:I never said KK only bought established players - I meant this last time when he was here his targets were all established players.

As for blooding Clarkie and Watson they were already in the team under Ardiles who gave them their chance.

I am not going for some gimmick either - this has been a long time held belief of mine that to compete with the top 4 there are two choices to make and option 1 which is to spend spend spend is not an option unless we have some wealthy Arabs or similar in charge.

Option two is far more possible, realistic and long term will not saddle the club with debt, we could even make profit on it.

I'd rather spend £17million on scouting and youth development than finished lost all his pace mercenary who doesn't give a flying fuck about anything but trying to play for England.

How much could £17million buy us in terms of resources for scouting the world and getting the best up and coming players here?

A fucking lot I would think!

and how long would it take to unearth a gem from all this scouting and do you not think that all other clubs are doing the same thing anyway?

I totally agree - we should have a top of the range scouting network (starting in the north east!), but if this is all put in place while the first team is left to rot with the has-beens and second-raters it currently contains then it's not going to do the team much cop is it?

Balance is everything.

ps. if £17m bought us a top striker that scored and stayed fit I for one would be happy. That fat tart Ashley can find that sort of money down the back of the settee. He is a very rich man and does not need to borrow to finance a decent transfer fund. To expect any less from him is to let the sod off the hook.

If all you do is rely on cheap youngsters NUFC might as well be Crewe with Dario Gradi in charge. But last time I looked they were in the bottom division.
(This post was last modified: 9th April 2010 05:02 PM by The_Flaming_Lip.)
9th April 2010 04:59 PM
BIFFAPOTAMUS Offline

Youth Team
The new NUFC

Don't be fooled by the bullshit coming out of the club. This lean, mean, hungry bullshit is exactly what it is - bullshit. There is nothing wrong in paying the going rate for footballers, be it transfer fees or wages, if they are VALUE FOR MONEY. In the past we have paid massive transfer fees and wages to players who were not value for money. It's a simple equation - if you want quality you have to pay for it, and why shouldn't NUFC and it's supporters have quality?Why should it just be Arsenal, Man Utd or CHelsea that have quality?
We have paid record fees for players in the past that have not been value for money )Luque, Boumsong, Marcelino, Goma, Maric etc) and we have paid record fees for players who have been very good value for money (Shearer). We should be in the market for top players, quality players. As supporters we will be paying top prices again to watch Premiership football. Why should we be paying top prices to watch quality players play for the opposition and not us? The great Tom Waits sums it up with his 'Rules':
If it's fast and cheap - it ain't good.
If it's good and cheap - it ain't fast.
If it's fast and good - it ain't cheap.
It seems to me that many fans are already buying into this bullshit about lean, mean , hungry young players which seems to be coming out of the club at the moment. What they really mean is CHEAP. FFS don't get fooled again. We need another Alan Shearer not another 12 Leon Bests.
9th April 2010 08:02 PM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

BIFFAPOTAMUS Wrote:Don't be fooled by the bullshit coming out of the club. This lean, mean, hungry bullshit is exactly what it is - bullshit. There is nothing wrong in paying the going rate for footballers, be it transfer fees or wages, if they are VALUE FOR MONEY. In the past we have paid massive transfer fees and wages to players who were not value for money. It's a simple equation - if you want quality you have to pay for it, and why shouldn't NUFC and it's supporters have quality?Why should it just be Arsenal, Man Utd or CHelsea that have quality?
We have paid record fees for players in the past that have not been value for money )Luque, Boumsong, Marcelino, Goma, Maric etc) and we have paid record fees for players who have been very good value for money (Shearer). We should be in the market for top players, quality players. As supporters we will be paying top prices again to watch Premiership football. Why should we be paying top prices to watch quality players play for the opposition and not us? The great Tom Waits sums it up with his 'Rules':
If it's fast and cheap - it ain't good.
If it's good and cheap - it ain't fast.
If it's fast and good - it ain't cheap.
It seems to me that many fans are already buying into this bullshit about lean, mean , hungry young players which seems to be coming out of the club at the moment. What they really mean is CHEAP. FFS don't get fooled again. We need another Alan Shearer not another 12 Leon Bests.

Good post

The regime have done a great job of lowering expectations to the fucking gutter.
9th April 2010 08:14 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

Not being fooled, just think there must be another way.

We have tried the splash the cash route under Shepherd and it got us horrendously in debt - so much so Ashley wouldn't have even bought us if he had spent 5 mins doing some due diligence.

The reality is outside the top 4 we are probably one of the few clubs that would be attractive to young players.

I don't just mean lets invest in 15-17 year olds and have a class youth set-up at the expense of the first team.

The first team needs investment aswell, but if we are led to believe that Ashley is here for the forseeable and noone else wants to buy us currently, then we must understand Ashley is not going to dig deep - he may release £15-£20 million, but that is pocket change in the Premier, Birmingham City will spend more than that ffs this summer!

We must be creative, we must buy what we can for the first team with the limited funds we have to give us enough quality to get at least 17th, but hopefully nearer the top ten.

Along with that our scouting needs to be beefed up - I can't remember the last gem we unearthed - Robert perhaps but he was hardly unknown and cost over £10million.

I just think unless Ashley sells up or has a huge change of heart and direction (which all evidence points the the contrary) we are not going to be competing at the top of the transfer market.

We will be competing against the likes of Stoke, Bolton, Blackburn, the SMB's for players - sorry but that is reality as it stands.

I think Hughton has done an amazing job under the circumstances, we have got rid of the disruptive element in the dressing room and have a togetherness and team spirit I haven't seen for a long time at this club.

If as expected Ashley only gives Hughton a small transfer fund, I wouldn't want to see it wasted on 1 or 2 trophy signings - which lets face it will be ones at the back end of their careers wanting a big pay day, because the very best will not be coming here.

He may be able to top that transfer fund up by offloading possibly one of our most saleable assets Steven Taylor - I don't want him to go but his dad appears to be pushing things that way and the recent bust up with Carroll hasn't helped - we may be able to command a £10million fee for him though.

What is everyone wanting here - Ashley to cough up £50-£100 million transfer fund? because that isn't going to happen

Yes other clubs may have scouting systems, but is it their primary focus in this crazy Premiership world of splashing out on big signings all the time to chase the elusive prizes that ultimately end up with the top 4 - league cup Man U, league Man U or Chelsea, FA Cup Chelsea still in there.

Perhaps Villa or Spurs will win the cup, but they have both spend hugely to get to that level.

Arsenal the exception to the rule, a traditional force in English football, with an ever increasing revenue through their much expanded match day attendances since moving to their new ground, yet Wenger more or less breaks even on transfers since he was appointed manager.

Why? because he gets quality youngsters on the cheap, gets the best out of them and sells them on at huge profit.

On the way they play scintillating football and have won a load of trophies - there is the odd big money signing thrown in, but when you buy someone like Anelka for £250,000 and sell him on for £23million you can afford the odd luxury.

I don't like Cockneys, but I really admire Arsenal and the way their club is ran.

Man U are heavily in debt as are Liverpool, but their two huge possibly unique in English football brands are sold the world over and there will always be someone coming in to bail them out should the finances get too bad.

NUFC is huge in our world only, the last year has proved that to me, as Ashley couldn't give us away, it was embarrassing at times the club's lies about people being interested, when in reality it was just one two bob local businessman with not a penny to scratch his arse with in Premier League terms, most of his business showing as big negatives on credit checks who was our main potential buyer - it was laughable.

If we had the history that the likes of Man U and Liverpool have had for winning things, then NUFC would be trully massive.

So, I'm rambling now, but basically in a nutshell, this last couple of seasons has been very sobering, at times extremely depressing, but I have got some clarity on the situation now.

I personally now believe our best way forward (barring as I say new extremely wealthy owners or an Ashley u-turn on spending policy) is to invest in 3 main areas; youth, scouting and the best experienced quality within our budgetary constraints for the first team along the way.

It will take time for us to see the real benefit of this, but it must be a better option than saddling ourself with long term expensive contracts for people like Viduka or Owen who lets face it couldn't give two shits about NUFC or even any club they might sign for, they just want their pound of flesh.

Am I missing something or do people honestly believe we have an alternative course of action we can take?

Yes I know Ashley is a very wealthy man and can afford to chuck another £100-£200million at us if he so chose, but his actions thus far suggest to me his only intention is to fund us with the bear minimum he needs to until he can find a buyer - so I think we should spend what little he gives as wisely as is possible.
9th April 2010 08:29 PM
Tboz Offline

Youth Team
The new NUFC

What you're also missing is that Ashley described his 'business plan' in the Keegan document as getting in great young players to sell them on at a profit not to build a good football team. Read it again, it's in black and white.

So don't be expecting an 'Arsenal' model or anything like it.

We were unlucky with the players we signed. Viana, Emre, Martins, Barton, Luque, Owen, all fantastic players when we signed them. For various reasons, they all cost a lot of money and were poor. But to say that we shouldn't sign great players because of this is ridiculous - we were unlucky that's all. Look at Robert, Ginola, Ferdinand, Shearer, Dyer, Woodgate, Asprilla (to a degree), Speed, Bellamy - all fairly expensive at the time but who did very well.

But why on earth people have any faith in Ashley spending money in the transfer window is beyond me. He's never done it - not once. So why would he start now? How many more times will people say "well if he just spent £20million" before they realise that it will never happen.

Final point - while Souness was a disaster, remember that he didn't want Owen, he wanted Anelka - at less than 1/2 the price of Owen and Shepherd said no so he went to Bolton.
(This post was last modified: 9th April 2010 08:42 PM by Tboz.)
9th April 2010 08:39 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

People are still misinterpreting what I am saying;

Let me be clear I have no faith in Ashley, I don't believe he will give Hughton much money and the sooner he is gone the better.

I am talking about what I feel is the best way forward for NUFC regardless of who is in charge, unless we somehow find an owner not arsed about losing lots of money and is in it for the glory.

I am not saying we shouldn't buy top players either, we should if we have the funds to do it - the reality is we don't.

As for Shepherd, he just wanted to get his mug on telly and show how much of a big bollocks he was by signing Owen - that was the vanity of the man.

I am trying to look at the reality of our situation.

Don't get me wrong I believe that NUFC could be the biggest club in the country if ran correctly - sadly we are light years away from that.

Anyone who thinks we are going to storm the Premiership is in for a big shock - I think we will do well to finish much above 13th.
9th April 2010 08:47 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
The new NUFC

Workshy Fop Wrote:As I've said from day one, I actually believe in Ashley's business model. I just don't believe in Ashley.

Completely agree. I was all for Ashley when he first rolled up, the plan itself was sound (though I still thought that to adopt the Arsenal model you need the Arsenal manager), but I agreed with the road map for the club.

Wise is the forgotten villain in all of this. Sir Bobby put it best of all. Something along the lines of "to be a director of football at this club your passport has to say Milan, Madrid, Munich. Dennis Wise has Swindon, Millwall, Leeds."

Appointing Wise, and subsequently backing him, was the single biggest fuck up of Ashleys reign to date. If he would have stuck with Keegan, and publicly backed him instead of humiliating and lying to him, I honestly believe we would have some momentum, of the sort that would have us all looking forward to next seasons football instead of adopting a fatalistic attitude to it.
9th April 2010 08:50 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

The history of NUFC always seems to be a few simple mistakes costing us big time.

Shepherd's non action when his only signing was Lee Bowyer on a free prior to a CL exit to Belgrade being one of the very worst in my opinion.
9th April 2010 08:56 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
The new NUFC

Indeed. It seems that Newcastle Utd, in the modern age at least, is a club beset with the word "almost". Not once or twice, but a whole slew of times that it could have "almost" been one of the biggest clubs in the Premier league, "almost" this, "almost" that....it's as though the club is cursed to not quite do it by the width of a hair.

It seems to me sometimes that any success the club has had has been in spite of stupid, malicious and short sighted owners/chairmen. There will always be a fan base, there will always be revenue streams, there will always be news, there will always be thousands upon thousands of fans, all over the country and the entire globe, the club will always be in the news, there will always be drama and events, we are always a talking point.

It takes some doing to fuck all that up to be honest.
9th April 2010 09:02 PM
Thread Closed