Thread Closed 
The new NUFC
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

It's about time we did have owners who ran the club properly, a management team that can take us to the heights we believe we can reach and for us all finally to be rewarded for our unswaying loyalty.

Although would it be the same if we did fulfill our ambitions?

Would we then be a club followed by every armchair pub fan in the UK who annoys the shit out of real fans of other clubs?

I don't know, but I don't mind finding out.

It must be a bit annoying if you are a genuine Man U fan who has followed the club home and away even from when they were relegated by Denis Law.
9th April 2010 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
DML2 Offline

Youth Team
The new NUFC

Chris_NUFC Wrote:The regime have done a great job of lowering expectations to the fucking gutter.

That sums the whole discussion up.
9th April 2010 09:15 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

It is realistic expectations though.

Don't mistake expectations for aspirations though.

As I still feel we can compete for the title at some point in the future, but it will take good leadership and management, which currently certainly at board level and probably at pitch level we don't have.

It will take a regime change for us to have more hopeful expectations for the club.

We can't ignore the blindingly obvious which is presented to us at the moment.

We have fallen from grace, but we can get it back, I just honestly don't think that will be under Ashley or for that matter Hughton, hence my relatively low expectations.

That isn't an achievement by Ashley and his cronies that sadly is just realism.
9th April 2010 09:21 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
The new NUFC

What would it matter if you were followed by every armchair supporter in the world? It wouldn't detract from your own sense of pride or you own sense of satisfaction surely?

A lot of the reason I fell in love with Newcastle to begin with was because of the romanticism, the style of football and the appeal of Keegan, a dreamer who believed in what could be achieved, what your club could do if you loved it enough, a man who never saw limits, and who ignored the idea that a club has to know it's place.

That attitude struck a chord with football supporters right across the country, no matter what level their club was at. It certainly did with me. He made you feel like it was your right as a supporter to expect the best from your club, that anything was possible, that feeling pride as a supporter and being a part of something actually did mean something.

It was such a refreshing attitude that so many supporters were willing Newcastle to win things under him. It was a clarion call for all supporters that they were entitled to dream their dreams, and that anything was possible, and that there was no limit to what you could do as a club if everyone was pulling in the same direction.

Your Man Utd's, Chelsea's, Liverpools will never have that affection. In the Keegan era Newcastle had all that affection and more besides. It's like the club spoke for every shat on supporter throughout the country that had dreams that their club could be "the" club.

If Newcastle do become successful again, it will be a triumph of the romantic, not some hollow tribute to a bovine mentality of follow the leader.

This is a club for dreamers and romantics, and the reason why I am proud to say I support it, albeit in my own little way.
9th April 2010 09:25 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

fuckin hell Count.....

*wipes tear*
9th April 2010 09:32 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

That season we almost did it, you could almost feel the whole country - except the Smoggies and Scumberland, just willing us on.

And it was so so close, as we have said very fine threads of luck or decision cost us.

That season still to this day plays on my mind - I think of all the games we could/should have won that would have tilted the balance in our favour.

Some will say Man U at home - if we had won that I have no doubt Man U would not have wore us down and that would have won us the title.

But there were other games - West Ham away we didn't turn up, Man Citeh away defended poorly, Blackburn away we took the lead with around 15 or so minutes left yet contrived to lose the game, Forest away again leading and should have went further in front before conceding an equaliser, that memorable game at Anfield (I thought them dozy fuckers hated Manure?) and then on top of all this Man U just kept winning and winning, lots of Cantona 1 nils, Schmeical clean sheets, fucking twats.

I'll never agree that we weren't the best team in the country that year - pure mathematics would say we weren't, but I just think we were inexperienced and niaive, but we were playing the best football.
9th April 2010 09:35 PM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

Beautifully put COB

The gutter press and opposition supporters ( twats like Dennis) would call us deluded for what you've just written.Theres nothing wrong with having high aspirations for your football club.

“I want people to dream about their football club. They should, we should all be dreamers at heart. Some people are the opposite and say ‘we can’t do that’, but when you ask them why, they can’t give a reason. Well, I say, ‘Why not?’”.

Kevin Keegan
9th April 2010 09:47 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

McCreery Wrote:fuckin hell Count.....

*wipes tear*

puff
10th April 2010 09:58 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
The new NUFC

the new NUFC. if ashley stays it will be one of missed opportunities, flirtations with relegation, possibilty of a mid table finish, the odd cup run - and that is it.

he wont spend the money required for us to even think about getting into the top 10.
no disrespect to hughton - he's done a fantastic job at getting us promoted - but we have probably the strongest squad in this league and should be where we are. the football we have played at times has been dire - but we've managed it which is important.

im going out on a limb here, but i would like to see us approach avram grant; he has said he will leave pompey at the end of the season and will be available. keep CH on as assistant but have grant as manager/coach or whatever.

we also need fatty to spend atleast 30 or 40 million if we are serious about not just staying up, but establishing ourselves. good players dont come cheap.

ffs look at leon best; he's never a PL player as long as my arse points down.
10th April 2010 10:59 AM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:puff

aye...that response doesn't surprise me at all .....just about everyone of your replies I've ever read has been like some clinical, thought out, political statement

have you a fuckin ounce of passion in your blood or does your 'support' consist of trying to score points off other supporters

all yo do is bleat on about the past, the current and the future....fuck me I'd be warming the car up in the garage if I was you
10th April 2010 06:40 PM
BIFFAPOTAMUS Offline

Youth Team
The new NUFC

Some good points made from both sides of the fence. But I still maintain that we are in a position now where if we add QUALITY players to the squad we can do something next year. It's stupid and pointless to blindly follow one tack or the other - a) We only concentrate on youth or b) We will only buy experienced and established players or c) we go bargain hunting in the lower divisions. The fact of the matter is that sides who do well tend to have a mix or blend of the three (and forgive me now, cos I hate the term) 'models'. I've seen Ossie Ardiles do the first one cos economics forced it on him, and that didn't work, I've seen Souness and Allardyce do the second one and that led to disaster, and I've seen Gordon Lee do the third one and that led to relegation. The only times I have seen anything that has come close to working was with KK (I know he bought a lot of players, but he did fit them in to a side that contained Clarky and he was responsible for the masterstroke in turning Steve Howey into a centre-half, as well as signing players who were perceived to be past their best such as Venison, Bracewell and Beardsley, and then combining them with top notch quality players). SBR did the same, and transformed a very average, very dull Premiership side by signing two players of real quality in Bellamy and Robert,who in the grand scheme of things didn't cost a lot of money. All I'm saying is beware of the bullshit coming out of the club about young, lean, mean hungry players and 'Team Spirit' - there is nothing more brittle than team spirit (it goes very quickly after three defeats in a row) and we should not be attempting to build a side around 'Team Spirit'. Fill it with good players, and it will always be there. Remember, Ashley and Llambias et al are PROVEN LIARS, they have lied to us before and will lie to us again, and quite probably, are lying to us now.
10th April 2010 07:48 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain
The new NUFC

BIFFAPOTAMUS Wrote:Some good points made from both sides of the fence. But I still maintain that we are in a position now where if we add QUALITY players to the squad we can do something next year. It's stupid and pointless to blindly follow one tack or the other - a) We only concentrate on youth or b) We will only buy experienced and established players or c) we go bargain hunting in the lower divisions. The fact of the matter is that sides who do well tend to have a mix or blend of the three (and forgive me now, cos I hate the term) 'models'. I've seen Ossie Ardiles do the first one cos economics forced it on him, and that didn't work, I've seen Souness and Allardyce do the second one and that led to disaster, and I've seen Gordon Lee do the third one and that led to relegation. The only times I have seen anything that has come close to working was with KK (I know he bought a lot of players, but he did fit them in to a side that contained Clarky and he was responsible for the masterstroke in turning Steve Howey into a centre-half, as well as signing players who were perceived to be past their best such as Venison, Bracewell and Beardsley, and then combining them with top notch quality players). SBR did the same, and transformed a very average, very dull Premiership side by signing two players of real quality in Bellamy and Robert,who in the grand scheme of things didn't cost a lot of money. All I'm saying is beware of the bullshit coming out of the club about young, lean, mean hungry players and 'Team Spirit' - there is nothing more brittle than team spirit (it goes very quickly after three defeats in a row) and we should not be attempting to build a side around 'Team Spirit'. Fill it with good players, and it will always be there. Remember, Ashley and Llambias et al are PROVEN LIARS, they have lied to us before and will lie to us again, and quite probably, are lying to us now.

Spot on. This is all about the manager of the club. Good ones don't come around too often. As much as Taggart is pilloried my other clubs, in his time he's built a team around excellent youth products, married with good quality signings. We know from bitter experience, that even the best players don't respond to shite managers. Taggart has been motivating successful millionaires for 20 years, and he has that special quality of managership to do it. The likes of him only appear a few times in a life time. KK had the ability to buy team players, maybe not the best compared to others of the time, but still good players. Hughton may develop into such a manager, we don't know, but if Ashley thinks he is the man for the job, he must back him. It wont take a fortune to survive in the Prem, but if we don't buy good players it will cost the fucker a bigger fortune if we go down again.
Good luck to Hughton, but as much as precedent doesn't back me up on managers 'going back', i'd trust Keegan back here with an owner who just shuts the fuck up and lets him get on with it.
10th April 2010 08:13 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

It's a pipe dream I know but with KS coming out with the KK seen at St James' thread.....what better than Keegan coming in as Director of Football to give Hughton a hand in the big boys league??

I'd settle for that
(This post was last modified: 10th April 2010 08:33 PM by McCreery.)
10th April 2010 08:20 PM
BIFFAPOTAMUS Offline

Youth Team
The new NUFC

In all my years following the club, the only times I have ever had any hope that we would or could achieve what we are potentially capable of, were the times when Kevin Keegan was present in some capacity. As a player in the eighties, as a manager in the nineties, and even in his last stint at the club, I thought that with a billionaire owner backing him, he would at last, after saving us from relegation remember, complete his 'unfinished business' at our club. But some people chose to back Dennis Wise, a literal and footballing pygmy, over a giant of man like Kevin Keegan. Un-fucking-believable.
10th April 2010 08:45 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman
The new NUFC

There is no fucking chance of KK working for the cockney bastard after the court case. Simply no chance. Chance = none. Zip. Zero. Won't happen. Nuh-uh.

But you never know.
10th April 2010 08:46 PM
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter
The new NUFC

The only thing i can think of is maybe he is part of a takeover group, he was in the middle east a couple of months ago.

We can only dream Big Grin

The press would be all over it
10th April 2010 08:51 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain
The new NUFC

Nothing will surprise me with Ashley. Nobody expected him to sack allershyte (well, maybe some did) nobody expected him to hire KK, nobody expected him to put us up for sale twice, nobody expected him to hire Shearer, nobody sane expected him to hire JFK. This man could do anything, nothing is ruled out with this fucker. If he thought he could re-hire KK and enable him to get his money back, he'd do it. He thrives on doing the unexpected.
10th April 2010 08:53 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

TAB you left out Zilch.

Biff you raise some good points and good posts.

McC I would love to see that happen, but its not, as like TAB says the court case etc.

But and it's a big but, you never say never.

Would love it just love it if KK came back as DoF!
10th April 2010 08:53 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

McCreery Wrote:does your 'support' consist of trying to score points off other supporters

nah. just you.

lighten up man, I was only messing about.
(This post was last modified: 11th April 2010 09:31 AM by The_Flaming_Lip.)
11th April 2010 08:32 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

Venegoor Wrote:I'd do bloody cartwheels if we stopped in the Prem as long as the original post Smile

Big GrinBig Grin
11th April 2010 06:12 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:nah. just you.

lighten up man, I was only messing about.

I know...but I was pissed and that's what I do when I'm passed
11th April 2010 07:20 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
The new NUFC

McCreery Wrote:I know...but I was pissed and that's what I do when I'm passed

oh I see. if that's the case then ....Nana
11th April 2010 07:26 PM
Thread Closed