Europe will cost us dear

Europe will cost us dear

LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter
Europe will cost us dear

Now before anyone flies off the handle and says that I am being a defeatist or negative, may I take the opportunity to say that your views are welcome?

However - there is always a however - where we end up this season, 7th - 3rd is a remarkable achievement and I take my hat off to the team for their efforts - I have the worry that the European reward (if it comes) may be too much of a burden for us to carry next season.

We barely have the squad for a Premiership campaign, let alone Europe. It has already been heavily hinted at that we will be losing some of the quality players who have come to the fore this season and they will be replaced with new talent who will take a season or so to root in.

Therefore, unless we keep what we currently have and add to the squad (especially in defence), I can see our success this season, being a burden too heavy to carry next season.

I hope I am wrong.

Howay the lads.
(This post was last modified: 13th January 2013 07:03 PM by LALASAM.)
10th April 2012 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Europe will cost us dear

I think having won the last 5 on the bounce and being level on points with Spurs at this stage of the season proves our squad can indeed cope with a league campaign.

If we get into Europe and bomb out after a few rounds then so fuck I say.

There is no point in football if we aren't going to shoot for the stars, coasting along in the league isn't what it's all about.

We have been shyte for most of the last decade, so surely no fan can tell me they would rather just stay mediocre as opposed to having our turn in the sun??

European football means more games and lots more exposure which attracts better players and lots of money to go with it. If managed properly getting into Europe should mean staying there too.

If we have a chance to go play the likes of Barcelona next season at the expense of finishing 7th then fair enough, I'll take that and go enjoy the ride.

Maybe in a year or two we can go again!
10th April 2012 06:36 PM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

I can't see any of our big players leaving, why would they if we qualify for europe?

Xisco, Smith, Lovenkrands and possibly Guthrie and Simpson will be off. The only 1st choice player in there is Simpson and he wouldn't be that hard to replace.

We supposedly have a CB already signed, we need a LB and if Simpson leaves another LB or RB. Bilk out the squad a bit with good young players and we'll be ready for anything.

We still have Taylor and Marveaux to come back that were missing most of this season.
10th April 2012 06:37 PM
LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter

Don't get me wrong - a night in Milan or the long slog back from Swansea? Doesn't compare - never did and never will.

I am just a bit worried that we overstretch ourselves which would, overall, make us feel a bit flatter next season.
10th April 2012 06:41 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

I see no point in aiming for Europe, whichever one, and then putting out Carly Cup teams to concentrate on the league, as Villa did for example. We may as well sell our place to the blue dippers for 6 or 7 mil. Pardew has mentioned 4 or 5 players needed, but they need to be 1st team challengers, not back up for the reserve team. There will be 4 or 5 fringe players out which will free up wages, but they must be replaced by people who can genuinely challenge incumbents in the 1st team. I still fear Pappise was brought in to replace Ba, or at best make a statement that if he doesn't negotiate the 7 mil get out clause, then he will be moved on. Hope i'm wrong, we need as many genuine goalscorers as we can get.
10th April 2012 06:46 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Europe means a successful team. With success brings new challenges.

The alternative to success is mid-table mediocrity.

Now he has sniffed success I don't see Ashley backpedalling now - the signing of Cisse proved that. I think you making a lot of presumptions LL - no one has been sold yet. Since we got relegated I've been hearing about a planned "mass exodus". Why would this happen when the team is successful? Not convinced.

And if we DO sell players I have faith that it will be a trade up, which is what happened last summer. Cast your mind back to the sales of Nolan, Barton, Jose, Carroll....who's laughing now? We are!

Chin up chaps (and chapesses). Only a few games to go and we will have the sort of season our optimism deserves! Smile
10th April 2012 06:52 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

It's a risk, of course it is. But we have been flat as a fart with fuck all to cheer for years.

It could just as easily go the other way, make us the club of choice for those up and coming player that might otherwise go to another club that is in Europe.

I don't think we have plans of selling off our players, I think they have probably ear marked Tiote for a big cash intake and keep the rest. If we bring in 4 or 5 good players then that's more than enough to cope in Europe as well as domestically.

Centre back
Full back
Centre forward
Bit of a utility midfielder

Signing in Those positions would have our squad in good shape with no holes in it.

Krul / Forster / Elliot

Simpson / Santon / Raylor / Pieters?

Colo / Saylor / Williamson / Douglas?

Cabaye / Tiote / Gosling / Guthrie / Abeid / Vuckic / An Other

Marveux / Jonas / Obertan / Ben Arfa / Ferguson

Ba / Cisse / Shola / Best / An Other

Plus whatever new kids we bring in.

That's more than the allowed number of squad players anyway and I think that's a good looking set of players.
10th April 2012 06:53 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 06:46 PM)Venegoor Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I see no point in aiming for Europe, whichever one, and then putting out Carly Cup teams to concentrate on the league, as Villa did for example.

Can't see it venners old chap. Hughton was cashiered for failing in cups as much as anything I seem to recall. I have a feeling that Ashley's ego is riding on making us look good in Europe - oh, and his advertising.

Plus we don't have a twat like O'Neill in charge like poor Villa did. We have Alain Pardeux!
10th April 2012 06:55 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

A aargh - I missed Perchinho!! That's how much quality we already have when the likes of him are overlooked!
10th April 2012 06:58 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 06:53 PM)Sal Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.It's a risk, of course it is. But we have been flat as a fart with fuck all to cheer for years.

It could just as easily go the other way, make us the club of choice for those up and coming player that might otherwise go to another club that is in Europe.

I don't think we have plans of selling off our players, I think they have probably ear marked Tiote for a big cash intake and keep the rest. If we bring in 4 or 5 good players then that's more than enough to cope in Europe as well as domestically.

Centre back
Full back
Centre forward
Bit of a utility midfielder

Signing in Those positions would have our squad in good shape with no holes in it.

Krul / Forster / Elliot

Simpson / Santon / Raylor / Pieters?

Colo / Saylor / Williamson / Douglas?

Cabaye / Tiote / Gosling / Guthrie / Abeid / Vuckic / An Other

Marveux / Jonas / Obertan / Ben Arfa / Ferguson

Ba / Cisse / Shola / Best / An Other

Plus whatever new kids we bring in.

That's more than the allowed number of squad players anyway and I think that's a good looking set of players.

Might sound like heresy but if we had to sell someone I'd rather it was Tiote than the likes of Ba, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Krul, Colo etc etc.

One thing I have noticed with this team - some people have been built up as irreplaceable, yet when they aren't there we have coped. Saylor, Ba, Tiote, Colo etc etc.

I can remember when Ben Arfa couldnt even get a game!

All hail Alan Pardew, Graham Carr, John Carver and the rest of the management team - the real stars of the show.
(10th April 2012 06:58 PM)Sal Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.A aargh - I missed Perchinho!! That's how much quality we already have when the likes of him are overlooked!

It's the sign of a harmonious squad when even so-called lesser lights like Perch, Ryan Taylor, Shola, Williamson, Santon, Jonas, Ferguson, Sammy Ameobi, Leon Best etc have all played crucial roles this season.

From having allegedly a squad fit for relegation we actually have a very strong squad that has had to cope with injuries, ACN and loss of form very well indeed.
(This post was last modified: 10th April 2012 07:01 PM by The_Flaming_Lip.)
10th April 2012 06:58 PM
aphradax Offline

Youth Team

Been thinking the same, so I looked at the other teams

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

The teams 30 places above us we could beat, and to beat anyone in the top 10 we would need to be really good.

Pardew has already talked of five new players, so what positions?

We need a defence as solid as it was at the start of the season.
Saylor's return will help, and we need two quality replacements, who can play other positions in the back row.

First choice midfield is good, But we miss Tiote/Cabaye when they're out. So we need one or two midfielders, for cover for the extra games.
Marveaux coming back will be just like a new signing, so for cover ideally a right footed winger.

I think our forward line is good and would be happy with the ones we have.

A smaller, more flexible squad would be easier to rotate and manage.

I think we would do well in Europe, lets hope we get there GeordieScarf
10th April 2012 07:22 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 07:22 PM)aphradax Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Been thinking the same, so I looked at the other teams

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

The teams 30 places above us we could beat, and to beat anyone in the top 10 we would need to be really good.

Pardew has already talked of five new players, so what positions?

We need a defence as solid as it was at the start of the season.
Saylor's return will help, and we need two quality replacements, who can play other positions in the back row.

First choice midfield is good, But we miss Tiote/Cabaye when they're out. So we need one or two midfielders, for cover for the extra games.
Marveaux coming back will be just like a new signing, so for cover ideally a right footed winger.

I think our forward line is good and would be happy with the ones we have.

A smaller, more flexible squad would be easier to rotate and manage.

I think we would do well in Europe, lets hope we get there GeordieScarf

10th April 2012 07:35 PM
viana45 Offline

First Team Regular

What's the point in playing 38 games in the league, to get a Europa league place then complain about it?
10th April 2012 07:38 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 07:38 PM)viana45 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.What's the point in playing 38 games in the league, to get a Europa league place then complain about it?

One time only. I concur.
10th April 2012 07:44 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 07:38 PM)viana45 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.What's the point in playing 38 games in the league, to get a Europa league place then complain about it?

yup
10th April 2012 07:50 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

*brushes wedding suit
10th April 2012 07:51 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

no point in playing if we don't want to get into europe. may aswell not have a club.
10th April 2012 08:23 PM
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

Great video Lip! Thanks. We do have a small squad, but it's a cross I'd happily bear to see us in Europa or CL!!
10th April 2012 08:40 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 08:40 PM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Great video Lip! Thanks. We do have a small squad, but it's a cross I'd happily bear to see us in Europa or CL!!

rather have a small squad than a shit one CM! We went down that path with Dalglish I seem to recall.....wonder what ever happened to him? Smile
10th April 2012 08:43 PM
LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter

Already had all of these own arguments with myself and I agree and disagree with you all(and myself Huh)

Just hope we do well and aren't undermined by lack of ambition and profiteering.
10th April 2012 09:07 PM
aphradax Offline

Youth Team

Ashley being a business man, has noticed the £35m the champions league would bring in. Thats a lot of money. Look what its done for us thus far.
10th April 2012 09:16 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(10th April 2012 09:16 PM)aphradax Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Ashley being a business man, has noticed the £35m the champions league would bring in. Thats a lot of money. Look what its done for us thus far.

Biggest single signing of the January window? Spoke volumes that one.
10th April 2012 10:25 PM
Swyer87 Offline

First Team Starter

I basically agree with everyones points' no point in playing the game if we are not going to aim for Europe, pinnacle of club football.

Players would laugh at you if Lal suggested his first post to them!
(This post was last modified: 11th April 2012 08:21 AM by Swyer87.)
11th April 2012 08:20 AM
merlin Offline

Youth Team

I reckon that where we finish will determine how much team strengthening Ashley will allow. There is no doubt in my mind that if we were to pinch that CL spot, all previous team building plans would go out of the window. If we were unlucky enough to lose Tiote or Ba, its a certainty that Ashley would give permission to get in replacements as well as the players already earmarked for next season. This is because the financial rewards of qualifying for even the group stages are huge.
Europa League brings peanuts in comparison, so I cannot see him busting the bank if we only make that.
Personally, I would rather we won a couple of rounds and went out to a decent side if it was Europa because we need to get CL football in order to compete with the current Top 4...unless we do, we will always be vulnerable to them stealing our players.
Its going to take a major push for the team to match this season's efforts without extra players - we are likely to lose at least one of the best players, so replacements must be found to keep things moving as the other sides will be watching for us next season....
11th April 2012 11:17 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

The waffa cup does bring peanuts in prize money, but it still results in a lot more games to play which would drag our matchday income up quite significantly.

Am not saying its even a patch on the revenues the CL brings, but the waffa cup money is not as shyte as folk make out.
11th April 2012 11:24 AM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

The whole purpose of competing in a competition like the PL is to finish as high as you can and what rewards that brings you take.

I think if we amazingly get into the CL our transfer budget would be widely different to what it would be if we don't.

I reckon that in that instance we would keep all our key players and attract better ones as well.

If we are in the Europa League the budget will be the same as if we hadn't got into Europe, however, we will be able to attract a better standard of player to the squad.

If we somehow miss out on Europe altogether I reckon Ba will be away and possibly Tiote - Krul would be hard to keep as well.
11th April 2012 12:23 PM
steadyboopbop Offline

Reserve Team

(10th April 2012 06:58 PM)Sal Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.A aargh - I missed Perchinho!! That's how much quality we already have when the likes of him are overlooked!

and sammy ameobi ..
11th April 2012 06:50 PM
LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter

Six months on - what do you think?
13th January 2013 07:02 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

We lost momentum & opportunity to compete for CL by failing to invest in summer.

However, I still think we can compete in Europa League and finish top ten.

We then need to invest again in summer.
13th January 2013 07:10 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

lottery numbers LA please
13th January 2013 07:27 PM