Thread Closed 
The turning point of the season
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Some say the heart-to-heart after the debacle at Orient pre-season, but I think it was the defeat at Scunny. Only 1 real blip after that, at Derby, it seemed to shake us up that we couldn't just turn up and teams would just roll over.
17th April 2010 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user
tino Offline

First Team Regular

it was definitley when Jinky and BigAl returned to SJP
17th April 2010 09:02 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular

It was when Viana realised that Lovencunt wasn't shite........he waited a further 6 months to admit it in public like

(This post was last modified: 19th April 2010 09:12 AM by McCreery.)
17th April 2010 09:04 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

tino Wrote:it was definitley when Jinky and BigAl returned to SJP

Big Grin
17th April 2010 09:05 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

McCreery Wrote:It was Viana realised that Lonencunt wasn't shite........he waited a further 6 months to admit it in public like

At least you had the good grace to admit that Carroll WAS a shining star, a matter of weeks after debunking him Big Grin
17th April 2010 09:07 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

Moments to remember

Harpers late save at Sheff U
17th April 2010 09:11 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular

aye well.....the least said about that the better Ven

to be fair I don't think I was on me own about him in the early part of the season and I started judging him a bit harshly cos I felt Harewood was getting a lot of unjustified stick when he was hios partner

I'm still not sure I'm wrong about him though but he scored some very important goals........he still manages to look fuckin wank in certain games though which is a genuine worry
17th April 2010 09:12 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

McCreery Wrote:aye well.....the least said about that the better Ven

to be fair I don't think I was on me own about him in the early part of the season and I started judging him a bit harshly cos I felt Harewood was getting a lot of unjustified stick when he was hios partner

I'm still not sure I'm wrong about him though but he scored some very important goals........he still manages to look fuckin wank in certain games though which is a genuine worry

He's really dropped off in the last couple of games tbh, it must be his appearance before the beak on the 29th unsettling him. Much like a lot of the squad, in many ways this season has been the easy bit, next season will see the cut of their jibs.
17th April 2010 09:17 PM
viana45 Offline

Banned

Mac was wrong
and so was morgy
but sure at least we support thr same team
17th April 2010 09:19 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

tino Wrote:Moments to remember

Harpers late save at Sheff U

Aye.

The draw on the opening day of the season was vital aswell, with is being at the hardest possible place to visit, was a good start and showed that maybe we can match the sides in this division - when most of us were expecting a bad season.

I don't think there's been a "turning" point - we've been bloody good all season long. There was never anything to "turn."
19th April 2010 09:03 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

richyNUFC Wrote:I don't think there's been a "turning" point - we've been bloody good all season long. There was never anything to "turn."

Agree with that.

The Leyton Orient friendly clearly resulted in a much needed big shake up in the dressing room and we havent really looked back from there.

Scunny away (which I had the misfortune of going to) was another wake up call that we had to stay focused, only one bad result since then.

In all though, since January we have easily been the best team in the league. It could have been argued that before Christmas we were riding our luck and 'grinding out' results where teams like West Brom (Forrest for a period) were showing the quality. I dont think anyone can argue that since January we have played some really good stuff and never looked troubled. Perhaps thats down to the balanced squad from the January signings, or the confidence taken from being top for so long, or a culmination of everything.
19th April 2010 09:25 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Sal Wrote:Agree with that.

The Leyton Orient friendly clearly resulted in a much needed big shake up in the dressing room and we havent really looked back from there.

Scunny away (which I had the misfortune of going to) was another wake up call that we had to stay focused, only one bad result since then.

In all though, since January we have easily been the best team in the league. It could have been argued that before Christmas we were riding our luck and 'grinding out' results where teams like West Brom (Forrest for a period) were showing the quality. I dont think anyone can argue that since January we have played some really good stuff and never looked troubled. Perhaps thats down to the balanced squad from the January signings, or the confidence taken from being top for so long, or a culmination of everything.

I think the signing of Routledge, definitely, has had a role to play in the improvement of quality. More pace and more balance.

We've still had to go back to basics at times and grind out a few results since January though, Swansea, Boro, Bristol City and Peterbrough away from home, plus the odd poor result - defeat at Derby and a draw against 10 man Leicester.

It just shows that those signings, aswell as improve the side, have not disrupted the attitude within the squad and we still have that determined mentality and sense of togetherness.

And since the defeat at Derby though, we've won 11 of 14 and not lost.
19th April 2010 09:38 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

richyNUFC Wrote:I think the signing of Routledge, definitely, has had a role to play in the improvement of quality. More pace and more balance.

Definitely.

I was really pleased when we signed Routledge, he has proved to be far more important a signing than the 'goalscorer' all were crying out for.

I know he hasnt settled in the PL in the past, but we have to hope he can do the business this time round.

I think there are a number of PL clubs would take Jonas & Routledge over their wingers.
19th April 2010 09:51 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

It is interesting to hear views from other fans. I made a point this season of asking any away fans that happened into The Goose their opinions. Strange, but most of them said Newcastle were the best team in the league. I often voiced the opinions of this board (yes, plagarism is the bigget form of flattery) saying we thought that QPR, Forrest, West Brom were a better team. All of them disagreed, although they all recognised they were decent teams.

There are various points of the season we can highlight, personnally, I believe the turning point of the season was the Doncaster game in Oct when we had just come off the back of defeats at Forrest and Scunthorpe. We were 1-1 at home and Nolan scored in added time to give us 3 points which then carried the momentum for the next 7 games, which we won despite tough away games to Sheff United & Preston.
19th April 2010 09:54 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Sal Wrote:Definitely.

I was really pleased when we signed Routledge, he has proved to be far more important a signing than the 'goalscorer' all were crying out for.

I know he hasnt settled in the PL in the past, but we have to hope he can do the business this time round.

I think there are a number of PL clubs would take Jonas & Routledge over their wingers.

I was watching the 'Premiership Years' the other day on Sky, I think it was the 03/04 season, well Palace's relegation season...the one where Andy Johnson scored about a million penalties...anyway, a lot of his penalties seemed to be won when he got on the end of those little through balls Routledge plays. He won't have been credited with an assist for those but obviously it's quite a big contribution. They still went down like...

If he's got enough about him to have earned moves to Spurs and Villa, then I don't see how that can be seen as failing in the top flight.

Failing to break into the first team of two of the top 6 sides does not mean he won't be able to do a good job for us next season as some people have said.
19th April 2010 09:57 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

I like routledge. He needs clever players around him.
19th April 2010 10:10 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

NE1 Wrote:I like routledge. He needs clever players around him.

Lovenkrands is the one player in the current side that I'd think is able to cause problems with his movement next season, and if Routledge can continue to pick him out, I think Lovenkrands could get a decent tally in the PL.
19th April 2010 10:16 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

Actually TBH and answer the question "The turning point of the season".

It may have been when we decided to give CH the job full time.

We have never looked back since.
19th April 2010 10:44 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Lovenkrands and Routledge will be a problem, because they what you need at any level - pace. If you have faster players than the opposition, it's like a literal head start, all you have to do is utilise it.
As for 'tuning point' that i mentioned, maybe that was the wrong choice of words. Possibly 'wake up call' might be a better term to use, but whatever it's called, it also reminded supporters that we couldn't just turn up and win because of who we are.
19th April 2010 10:45 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Venegoor Wrote:Lovenkrands and Routledge will be a problem, because they what you need at any level - pace. If you have faster players than the opposition, it's like a literal head start, all you have to do is utilise it.

Aye. We just have to hope Lover has his shooting boots on next season. Smile

Venegoor Wrote:As for 'tuning point' that i mentioned, maybe that was the wrong choice of words. Possibly 'wake up call' might be a better term to use, but whatever it's called, it also reminded supporters that we couldn't just turn up and win because of who we are.

That is true.
19th April 2010 10:53 AM
Thread Closed