Thread Closed 
Zurab heads back to Rovers
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter

WITH Zurab Khizanishvili due to return to Blackburn Rovers this week, Newcastle boss Chris Hughton faces an absence of centre-half cover during the packed Christmas programme.

Khizanishvili’s loan deal expires ahead of the weekend, and the Georgian centre-half is ineligible for Sunday’s Tyne-Tees derby with Middlesbrough.

Hughton has opted not to extend his stay at St James’ Park beyond an initial threemonth period at this stage, as he is hoping to complete a permanent transfer for Sheffield United defender Matt Kilgallon when the transfer window reopens at the start of next month.

Magpies officials discussed Kilgallon’s position with their counterparts at Bramall Lane last month, and the two clubs are understood to have reached a provisional agreement that should see the 25- year-old move to Tyneside.

He cannot sign, on either a temporary or a permanent basis, until January, meaning Newcastle will be relying on Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini’s availability throughout the festive period.

Tamas Kadar’s inexperience was exposed earlier in the season, and the Hungarian was not even on the bench as the Magpies drew 2-2 with Barnsley at the weekend.

Danny Simpson could play at centre-half if needed, but the full-back, who is due to return to his parent club, Manchester United, on January 18, has not looked as comfortable on the small number of occasions he has been shuffled infield.

Therefore, Hughton will be desperately hoping that Taylor and Coloccini remain fit enough to compete a hectic spell that will see Newcastle face Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County in the space of eight days.

While Khizanishvili is unlikely to be returning to Tyneside in the second half of the season, Hughton is expected to make attempts to extend Simpson and striker Marlon Harewood’s stay at St James’.

Harewood is due to return to Aston Villa after the Boxing Day game at Hillsborough – the forward is ineligible for the December 28 game with Derby – while Simpson’s loan expires in mid-January after the home game with West Brom.
15th December 2009 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

Won't miss him, he's shit.
15th December 2009 02:55 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Nah he isn't like. He looked tidy at left back in his first game for us. I forget who it was against but he looked decent.

Not screaming to have him back, but he wasn't shit.

Wish him all the best.
15th December 2009 03:16 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

We haven't got the best track record with these loan signings bar Simpson. Surely a club like ours have the pull to bring in some quality loan signings.
15th December 2009 04:07 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

Steve he is shit - if you had a been down at Scunthorpe you would have seen that.

He was trully awful that night.
16th December 2009 08:54 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

But against Ipswitch he was very good at left back.

Hard to judge properly on a handful of appearances.
16th December 2009 09:39 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

That was Ipswich m8 we stuffed them and we haven't stuffed many teams since. The way i look at it if hughton is not pulling out the stops to keep him that tells me he isnt much cop because hughton isnt that good of a manager in my view even though we are top of the tree.
16th December 2009 10:44 PM
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter

We are letting him go cause we are going to get that lad from sheff united in jan..
16th December 2009 10:48 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

And we all know Ashley will spend his money on players dont we. i thought Hull had him all ready to sign in January.
16th December 2009 10:53 PM
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter

Nahh 3mil well verbally its been agreed.
16th December 2009 10:58 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

They could have got him for £2m but Ashley wanted to only pay £1m.
16th December 2009 11:06 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular

one player down until we can do anything about it in Jan is the way I see it...then Harewood will go and then Simpson

I doubt very much that Ashleys going to permanantly replace these players so we'll be scrapping around for loan deals to replace loan deals........

fuckin excellent
17th December 2009 09:11 AM
Thread Closed