Thread Closed 
Our top 5 performers this season
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

who would you go for? Best first (not Leon)

1. Jose Enrique (easily the best player in this league)
2. Carroll
3. Nolan (only for his goals not general play, won't cut it in the prem)
4. Ameobi (again his goals)
5. Coloccini (different player to last season, but the acid test will be next season in the prem)

also mentions for Lovenkrands who has scored some goals and Harper. Gutierrez has done quite well but again only next season will tell us if he can cut it.
2nd April 2010 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user
Venegoor Offline

Captain

1. 'enry Kay
2. Hoonas
3. Carroll
4. Smith
5. Nolan

For the most part, you could perm any 5 five from the whole squad, because they've all played their part to varying degrees for our success this season.

Agree about 'enry Kay, Hoonas has shown brilliant work ethic and been an example to others, despite his frustrations as a player at times. Carroll has lead the line admirably, Smith showed leadership during the vital early parts of the campaign, that helped us hit the ground running (when he wasn't suspended that is Smile), and Nolan's goals at the same time kept the momentum going. As I say though, I could pretty much find a positive for each squad member, even Best for his cross at Swansea for the equaliser!
2nd April 2010 12:35 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular

1. Jonas...........always an outlet even in games where we've been under the cosh

2. Nolan............important goals and I reckon a real driving force in the dressing room

3. Enrique.........great season but I thought he was one of most consistent players in the PL anyhoos

4. Collocini.......barely put a foot wrong all season

5. Harper......important saves and an important figure in the dressing room

Honourable mentions go to Hughton who's been brilliant and Carroll who's scored some important goals but for me has only really started performing in the second half of the season
2nd April 2010 01:11 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

why can't anyone spell COLOCCINI properly?
2nd April 2010 01:13 PM
jack Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

all our striker's..
2nd April 2010 01:45 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

In no specific order:

Jose Enrique - I think wouldnt be out of place in any PL squad and has shown his quality in every single game he has played.

Coloccini - Our only footballing centre half, am convinced he will do it next season if given the chance, last season must have been a massive culture shock to his system.

Jonas - Like Mac says, he is a constant outlet, and will be in the PL. He is criticised for lack of goals and direct assists, fair enough, but he gets no where near enough credit for the endless amounts of corners and free kicks he wins, not to mention the fact that teams have to put an extra man on him (even in the PL they were), because more often than not he will go past whoever marks him.

Nolan - I think he will struggle big time next season, but in the first half of the season when the team were still 'grinding out' results, it was him that got us the goals, without them we wouldnt be finishing as confidently and as comfortably.

Carroll / Lovenkrands - Both of these have put to bed our apprehensions about not scoring enough goals, they have been great since January.

Again special mention for Hughton, he is the picture of humility in both victory and defeat and the calm breath of fresh air that the NUFC circus has been crying out for.
2nd April 2010 01:51 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

In no order.

Coloccini - absolutely brilliant. I want curly hair too.
Enrique - immense at the back, and helps Guti going forward.
Smith - his passion and effort in the early stages has been key to our season imo.
Nolan - as above, plus his goals.
Gutierrez - as somebody else said, he's always an outlet, has tore teams apart this season and end prduct has improved a bit.
2nd April 2010 01:59 PM
Tinosghost Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

1 - enrique
2 - coloccini
3- nurlan
4 - carroll
5 - gutirrez
2nd April 2010 03:46 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

good call on Harper Mac, obviously unappreciated on here but been in top form

Enrique top player and getting better

Guti tracked back all day to protect his fullback

Carrol didnt rate him but proved me wrong

Lovenkrands again didnt rate him, thought he was too soft but hes stuck in and scored some vital goals

theres others who have performed well, but at £6m Smiths poor value as is Nolan at £4m and Colo at whatever
2nd April 2010 03:54 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

tino Wrote:theres others who have performed well, but at £6m Smiths poor value as is Nolan at £4m and Colo at whatever

Good point about value for money. I'd forgot how much we'd wasted on these in the first place. Sad
2nd April 2010 04:03 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

1.Nolan
2.Enrique
3.Carrol
4.Smith
5.Harper

Special mentions for the two argentines who just missed the cut.
2nd April 2010 07:10 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

1) Jonas
2) Enrique
3) Carroll
4) Colo
5) Nolan

I think all the players have done well though - Harper, Smith, Routledge, S Taylor, Shola, Lovenkrands have all played a big role.
2nd April 2010 08:06 PM
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

I agree with the "all the strikers" comment.

In the beginning it was Shola. Period. The only one scoring. He got us off to a great start while Carroll sucked and Lovenkrands was out of shape/mouring his father.

Then Lovenkrands came on and scored a glut until he was injured again.

Carroll finally began clicking and he and Lovenkrands have carried us up until now. Of course, Shola is back with a goal in his first game "healthy."

A person who hasn't scored a lot, but deserves props for completely changing how teams defend us is Routledge. Great spark, and he gives Jonas room as the entire defense can't work on shutting him down.

Guthrie and Nolan have been nice, at this level. Of course the Bull and Sideshow Bob are class and will be next year.

Looking at injuries, ebbs and flow of the season, etc, I think the old adage "it was a team effort" was never truer.
2nd April 2010 09:12 PM
LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter

Out of all of them I would have to put Harper up there. A team game relies upon the team players from each area. Harper has done it all season by himself in his area and has done it well.

Enrique, Smith, Carroll et all, have been impressive, but the quiet one between the sticks has held it together.
2nd April 2010 09:24 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

suprised that no one mentions ameobi like.. i know he is annoying but he has the best goal to games record in the league.
2nd April 2010 09:36 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular

difficult to put him in there when he's missed so much of the season but he certainly doesn't deserve half the shite that he's had this season
2nd April 2010 09:39 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

ToonArmy1892 Wrote:suprised that no one mentions ameobi like.. i know he is annoying but he has the best goal to games record in the league.

he's not played enough. If he'd stayed fit he would have been our top scorer - but if he'd stayed fit Carroll would not have come into his own.
2nd April 2010 09:40 PM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

[quote=richyNUFC]In no order.
Smith - his passion and effort in the early stages has been key to our season imo.

Totally agree, it would be easy to forget Smithy at this stage, lets not forget the first half of the season.
2nd April 2010 10:38 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

First Team Regular

how many goals has he scored
2nd April 2010 10:58 PM
onthetoon1 Offline

Youth Team

ToonArmy1892 Wrote:how many goals has he scored

How many goals against has he prevented? Rather a lot I think! That's all part of where we are too. Not just the goals for.

As previously stated it is easy to forget thr massive contribution he made in the first half of the season. Plus there are not many players who would play with a fractured cheekbone.
3rd April 2010 09:34 AM
Thread Closed