Astonishing

Astonishing

lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular
Astonishing

Having lived so far away for most of my life I've never been a regular attendee but I've been in town on a match day and the atmosphere is electric. Then when everyone goes to the match it's like a switch flicks from excitement to misery. So I can get what you mean. Unless it's a pub with the match on.

I was mainly curious but it does put into perspective the personal sacrifice that you made standing up for a principle that you believed in. I can also see how it would grate on you seeing others flooding to the game after you'd made that sacrifice. However there are probably loads of people who couldn't bear the thought of not going.
10th August 2018 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Astonishing

(10th August 2018 09:37 AM)NE1 Wrote:  
(10th August 2018 09:22 AM)McCreery Wrote:  Look at it this way.....we would never have had Keegan as a manager and those brief flirtations with success if St James' Park had been packed to the rafters for the decade of shite before him

full houses under a regime like Ashleys is a new thing at Newcastle - we had a reputation for protesting when things were bad

So I'll stick to my being 'astonished' that the majority of those who go are totally pissed of with the situation but still decide to go

I am not pissed off.

We have a club essentially debt free - We owe Ashley £144m. Debt free, until he wants it back.
We have a world class manager - who is likely to leave.
We are comfortably a Premiership team - we'll see.
We have players who want to be here - true. except Hayden.
We haven’t wasted millions on over rated players with egos and pockets to fill - true.
The away shirt is belting - true.
The beer is flowing - also true.
Season tickets have stayed the same price for a few years - so they should.

What’s not to love man????

:-)

We have all that but no ambition.

We have an owner unwilling to spend, unwilling to sell, and unwilling to sell advertising space to bring in even more income.

Things may go well on the pitch, but it's about time we had an owner who actually wants to run a football club.
10th August 2018 10:42 AM
McCreery Online

Fan Favourite

(10th August 2018 10:22 AM)lipsquid Wrote:  Having lived so far away for most of my life I've never been a regular attendee but I've been in town on a match day and the atmosphere is electric. Then when everyone goes to the match it's like a switch flicks from excitement to misery. So I can get what you mean. Unless it's a pub with the match on.

I was mainly curious but it does put into perspective the personal sacrifice that you made standing up for a principle that you believed in. I can also see how it would grate on you seeing others flooding to the game after you'd made that sacrifice. However there are probably loads of people who couldn't bear the thought of not going.

I get it - that's why I totally respect the likes of Ven's view (which is also the view of the lads I used to go with) that they are going to the match and that's that - they don't piss and moan all the time about how bad things are - they've just made their decision to carry on doing what they've done for years

I think that is where my disagreements with LL have come from - always wanting something better but never prepared to do anything about it - always expecting somebody else to do it for him without making any sacrifices himself

It's weird, I don't know if you remember the vid I put up a couple of months ago of the Hibs fans singing Sunshine on Leith - stuff like that gets me proper emotional about what I really miss about supporting Newcastle - a crowd in full voice 100% content with their lot - I used to get that feeling with Newcastle even when we were shit

I will never have that feeling again under an owner who uses us to benefit another company

(This post was last modified: 10th August 2018 10:50 AM by McCreery.)
10th August 2018 10:48 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular
Astonishing

That's the most galling thing. I often wonder how much advertising revenue would be received if another company had their logo and URL displayed in such prominent places around the stadium. All of his claims about the local community, the investment, all of that but never once mentions, or is questioned about, how much SD would have to pay to get such publicity in other grounds. I reckon over his 11 years there must be close to £100m owing.

BTW you're a high order cunt for what you just did - putting that . at the bottom and making me think there was a speck of dirt on my monitor. I spent some time trying to clean it off before I realised.
10th August 2018 11:11 AM
McCreery Online

Fan Favourite
Astonishing

sorry

10th August 2018 11:16 AM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

Mac, I totally get what you are saying, but to question why I moan, but do nothing about and expect others to.

I don’t expect others to, if they choose to that’s up to them.

The club has always been like this, apart from a golden period under KK and SBR, when some local business guys tried to give us the dream and very nearly bankrupted us in the process.

So, if I boycotted, in my view it would achieve nothing, only it would deprive me of seeing my team.

I would have missed the odd highs like the Manure game last season or the other highlights we have had under the Ashley regime, admittedly not enough of them.

We as fans do not have the power you think, when faced with a billionaire owner who could just sit with us until he dies if he chooses to as he doesn’t need the money.

We need people with money to buy him out, that is the one and only solution, barring him having a huge change of heart and direction.

You can go on about his SD brand and his ego, but honestly boycotting won’t achieve anything.

He can afford to sit with an empty stadium if he so wishes.

So do I want to deprive myself all those games in the meantime that I could go to.

My son is going now, so do I deprive him his youthful exuberance and excitement?
(This post was last modified: 10th August 2018 11:33 AM by LeazesLoyal.)
10th August 2018 11:31 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

I’m not sure deprive is the appropriate word, more like ‘rescue’ would fit the bill.

As for the rest, yeah, pretty much me, I don’t think he’ll move until he gets his price, although god knows why. I tend to be spontaneous in most decisions, and it’s the same with the club. There’s every chance i’ll be on the way through and decide to just turn around and go home. Inasmuch as spontaneity can’t be predicted, i have to say, that despite the really dark days of the 80s and standing amongst 15k hardy souls watching Billy Rafferty and George ‘mavis’ Reilly plow their dubious wares, whilst waddle, beardsley and gazza where virtually given away, I have never been as close to turning round and packing it in.
Maybe the small % voice saying “if you stop, he’s won” plays a part, who knows, but the future doesn’t hold out much in the way of hope.
I never thought i’d look fondly on the days of Westwood, Seymour and McKeag, but at least the fortunes they made off the back of the club stayed in region with their local businesses, despite them being utterly shite owners.

Hey ho etc etc....
10th August 2018 12:07 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

I'd like to think there will be anti Ashley chants tomorrow, there was some at the Augsburg game.
10th August 2018 12:15 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

Haha Ven, ‘rescue’, yes probably a better word.

I haven’t forced him though, took a deliberate decision that he only comes to the match when he is good and ready and wants to.

That works for me, as it means I’m not spending all match with a fidgeting son who is not interested in the shit his fatha has dragged him along to.

He has only went when he has asked me can he come along.

Late last season he started asking about a season ticket.

So, he can’t blame me in the long run! Wink
(This post was last modified: 10th August 2018 12:39 PM by LeazesLoyal.)
10th August 2018 12:38 PM