New Cardiff City striker flight goes missing

omenator Offline

Owner

Cardiff City’s new record £15million signing Emiliano Sala was on board a missing private jet from Nantes to the Welsh capital, French police have confirmed.

A major search operation is underway after the light aircraft disappeared from radar near the Casquets lighthouse on Alderney in the Channel Islands

Guernsey Police revealed that the Piper Malibu has been missing since 8.30pm on Monday night.

And now French police have told AFP that they believe the Argentine striker was on board.

The private plane was flying from Nantes, France, to Cardiff, sparking fears that the player could be on board.

Reports in France suggest, however, that there is "genuine concern" at Cardiff amid Sala's current status.

According to journalists in France, Sala was seen going through border control in Nantes amid unconfirmed suggestions that he did embark the missing chartered jet.

The Premier League club only unveiled the Argentine striker as their record transfer signing from Nantes last Saturday.

It is understood the player returned to France after completing his move and was due to report for training in Cardiff on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old joined Neil Warnock’s side from French outfit Nantes for £15million.

Sala turned down a late mega-money offer to play in China before putting pen to paper on a three-and-a-half year deal at Cardiff due to his desire to play Premier League football.

Speaking on Saturday after signing for the Bluebirds, Sala said: “I can’t wait to start training, meet my new team-mates and get down to work."

Before switching to Cardiff, Sala was the third highest scorer in Ligue 1 this season with 12 goals, behind only Kylian Mbappe and Nicolas Pepe.

Cardiff brought him in to boost their chances of staying in the Premier League beyond this season.F

He added: "For me it feels special [to be the Club’s record signing]. I have come here wanting to work and to help my teammates and the Club. I can’t wait to get to work straight away and do everything I can."

The plane has been missing since 8.30pm on Monday, January 21, according to Guernsey Police.

A coastguard rescue helicopter and crews from Alderney and Guernsey RNLI joined the search in the area around the lighthouse.

HM Coastguard said the disappearance was not in the UK search and rescue area, but it had also sent two helicopters to help.

A spokeswoman said they were assisting Guernsey Coastguard with a search for a light aircraft off Alderney: "HM Coastguard helicopters from Solent and Newquay have been helping to search overnight with nothing found."

The Met Office said at the time the aircraft went missing "there were some showers around, but nothing too intense".
22nd January 2019 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Bloody hell - hope everyone turns up safe and sound
22nd January 2019 09:44 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
RE: New Cardiff City striker flight goes missing

where the fuck did they get £15m from Angry
22nd January 2019 10:12 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

classy
22nd January 2019 10:23 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Tragic news, here's hoping for a miracle.
22nd January 2019 01:24 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

Don't mean to sound disrespectful or make light of the situation, it is very sad & tragic whomever is involved in such a tragedy. But just out of curiousity what actually happens here when they've just spent £15 million on a player and then an event such as this happens, would they be insured for full amount, or would the transfer be null & void etc.
22nd January 2019 03:17 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(22nd January 2019 03:17 PM)Dean20m Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Don't mean to sound disrespectful or make light of the situation, it is very sad & tragic whomever is involved in such a tragedy. But just out of curiousity what actually happens here when they've just spent £15 million on a player and then an event such as this happens, would they be insured for full amount, or would the transfer be null & void etc.

that's a bit disrespectful tbh mate, stuff the money our thoughts are with his family at this sad time..
22nd January 2019 03:20 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

(22nd January 2019 10:12 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.where the fuck did they get £15m from Angry

I'd have accepted criticism from anybody else, but like I said, was just a thought that had crossed my mind and wasn't meaning to be disrespectful.
22nd January 2019 03:31 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(22nd January 2019 03:31 PM)Dean20m Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(22nd January 2019 10:12 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.where the fuck did they get £15m from Angry

I'd have accepted criticism from anybody else, but like I said, was just a thought that had crossed my mind and wasn't meaning to be disrespectful.

aye but in my defence i had only read this part dean...

Quote:Cardiff City’s new record £15million signing Emiliano Sala

so hadnt realised the seriousness of the situation when i typed that.
22nd January 2019 03:35 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Apparently the previous flight from Nantes to Cardiff in the same plane took 3 attempts to takeoff and Sala expressed concerns about the return flight.

Bloody hell.
(This post was last modified: 22nd January 2019 04:16 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
22nd January 2019 04:16 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Sala said the following:

“Hello, little brothers, how are you crazy people? Brother, I’m dead, I was here in Nantes doing things, things, things, things and things, and it never stops, it never stops, it never stops. I’m here on a plane that looks like it’s about to fall apart, and I’m going to Cardiff, crazy, tomorrow we already start, and in the afternoon we start training, boys, in my new team… Let’s see what happens, so, how are you brothers and sisters, all right? If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don’t know if they are going to send someone to look for me because they cannot find me, but you know … Dad, how scared am I!”

Sad
23rd January 2019 12:03 AM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter

Its Willie MacKay's plane

So the theory Sala's ex has come up with that's been downed by the mafia, might not be far off
23rd January 2019 02:10 PM
JTH Offline

First Team Starter

Cunt
23rd January 2019 02:42 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

trust you to swear on what has become an R.I.P. thread Rolleyes
23rd January 2019 03:01 PM
JTH Offline

First Team Starter

(23rd January 2019 03:01 PM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.trust you to swear on what has become an R.I.P. thread Rolleyes

... sky news reporting there is a possibility of ditching in water and getting into a on board dingy that may have caught the tide ....as for you Willo there is no cure for being a cunt no class
23rd January 2019 03:15 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(23rd January 2019 03:15 PM)JTH Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(23rd January 2019 03:01 PM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.trust you to swear on what has become an R.I.P. thread Rolleyes

... sky news reporting there is a possibility of ditching in water and getting into a on board dingy that may have caught the tide ....as for you Willo there is no cure for being a cunt no class

you should know Wink
23rd January 2019 03:17 PM
JTH Offline

First Team Starter

(23rd January 2019 03:17 PM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(23rd January 2019 03:15 PM)JTH Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

... sky news reporting there is a possibility of
ditching in water and getting into a on board dingy that may have caught the tide ....as for you Willo there is no cure for being a cunt no class

you should know Wink
Nah nana nah

(23rd January 2019 03:17 PM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

... sky news reporting there is a possibility of
ditching in water and getting into a on board dingy that may have caught the tide ....as for you Willo there is no cure for being a cunt no class

you should know Wink
Nah nana nah
(This post was last modified: 23rd January 2019 05:17 PM by JTH.)
23rd January 2019 05:16 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(23rd January 2019 02:10 PM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Its Willie MacKay's plane

So the theory Sala's ex has come up with that's been downed by the mafia, might not be far off

it wasn't his plane apparently...

Quote:The Times newspaper has apologised to MacKay for incorrectly stating that he owned the plane.
27th January 2019 09:37 AM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Apparently money has been raised to carry out a private search for the two individuals who have gone missing. I hope their families are able to gain some sort of closesure from this terrible incident.
27th January 2019 06:44 PM
omenator Offline

Owner

The plane that was carrying the missing Premier League footballer Emiliano Sala has been found, his family has been told.

A search boat located the wreckage on the seabed of the English Channel this morning.

The Piper Malibu aircraft, which was heading from Nantes in France to Cardiff in Wales, disappeared from radars close to the Channel Islands on 21 January.

Both pilot David Ibbotson, 59, and the 28-year-old Argentinian footballer are missing presumed dead.

Two vessels were looking for traces of the missing plane after a successful online appeal to fund the effort.

Shipwreck hunter David Mearns led the private search that was looking for the aircraft in an area of four square miles.

Mr Mearns, the director of Blue Water Recoveries, led a team on the vessel FPV Morven while the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) also sent a team aboard its Geo Ocean III.

Mr Mearns told Sky News: "This is about the best result we could have hoped for the families.

"But tonight they have heard devastating news and in respect of the families I won't comment any further about what has happened."

Earlier today, Mr Mearns said the said the AAIB had a "high confidence level" the plane would be in the search zone.

It has been an anxious and heartbreaking time for the Argentinian striker's family since his plane disappeared.

The plane had requested to descend before it lost contact with Jersey air traffic control.

Sky News correspondent Tom Parmenter, who is in Guernsey in the Channel Islands, said: "It was early this morning at about 9am, the very early stages of the search that had got underway at first light this morning... that they saw something with the sonar equipment that they had on board.

"They carried out further passes over that area to pinpoint and have a closer look.

"They went through various stages of identification through the course of today, and David Mearns confirmed to me that they have now positively identified the wreckage as that of the plane that had been carrying the Argentinian footballer."

The official hunt for the plane was called off on 24 January just three days after the plane went missing.

Guernsey's harbour master Captain David Barker said the chances of survival following such a long period were "extremely remote".

The family of Sala said they were "struggling with few answers about what's happened" as the search resumed on Monday 28 January thanks to the crowdfunding appeal.

The aircraft has been located four days after two seat cushions were found that were likely to have come from the plane.
3rd February 2019 10:42 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

So very sad, let's hope the families can get closure.
(This post was last modified: 3rd February 2019 11:18 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
3rd February 2019 11:17 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

The search team have found a body in the wreckage of the plane.

R.I.P.
4th February 2019 03:17 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

it's kicking off...

"French club Nantes have demanded payment from Cardiff City over the £15m transfer of Emiliano Sala, BBC Wales has learned.

Sala, along with pilot David Ibbotson, was on board the Piper Malibu N264DB which lost radar contact near Guernsey on 21 January.

The Argentine striker was Premier League club Cardiff's record signing.

Cardiff have withheld the first scheduled payment until they are satisfied with the documentation.

It is understood, Nantes are threatening legal action, if they do not receive a payment within 10 days. BBC have attempted to speak to Nantes for a comment.

A source at Cardiff says they will honour the contract, but not until they have clarified "all the facts."

And Cardiff are "surprised" Nantes have made the demand while attempts are being made to recover a body from the plane wreck that was carrying Sala and pilot Ibbotson.

The body was seen in the Piper Malibu N264DB on Monday, two weeks after the plane vanished near Guernsey.

BBC Wales has learned the transfer fee is due to be paid in instalments over three years.

French club Bourdeaux are also entitled to a cut of the fee, thought to be 50 per cent after Sala was on their books from 2012-2015 before joining Nantes.

The plane carrying Sala, 28, and Ibbotson, from Crowle, Lincolnshire, disappeared on route to Cardiff on 21 January after the footballer returned to Nantes to say goodbye to his former teammates."
6th February 2019 03:53 PM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter

You would have thought they could have at least waited for them the poor sods to be fished out of the sea before starting this
6th February 2019 04:47 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

That kind of sums up football today, Greed, Greed, Greed....
6th February 2019 05:01 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Mmm not great timing but if they agreed to sign him they should pay.
6th February 2019 05:04 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

I don't really want to talk about him as a commodity but in a sense he was - in that respect I'd wondered if insurance might have covered the cost at a business level
6th February 2019 05:30 PM
guff Online

First Team Regular

(6th February 2019 05:01 PM)Jinkyjim Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.That kind of sums up football today, Greed, Greed, Greed....

Aye, and not just football Jinky.
6th February 2019 05:38 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

(6th February 2019 05:38 PM)guff Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(6th February 2019 05:01 PM)Jinkyjim Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.That kind of sums up football today, Greed, Greed, Greed....

Aye, and not just football Jinky.

CORRECT..
6th February 2019 05:42 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

Bit insensitive if true. Although they might have a VAT bill to pay. If the French authorities are owt like the HMRC then they won't budge an inch no matter what. Unless you're Amazon or Google.
6th February 2019 07:53 PM