Thread Closed 
Ashley to get back in favour
Chris_NUFC Offline

First Team Starter

richyNUFC Wrote:Under Ashley, I see no manager in the world taking us anywhere near the top 6 in the next few seasons.

Ashley is the problem, not Hughton.

He is agreed

i said earlier in one of my posts that this talk of changing manager is immaterial, Hughton will lead into the premier league.I wish him well and i hope to be eating massive amounts of humble pie.
1st April 2010 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

Quote:Ashley to get back in favour

......is the name of this thread.

And there is nothing he could possibly do that would endear him to us. The damage is done. We know it, he knows it. Even that horrible cunt Lambarse knows it.

The second that this club becomes an attractive saleable prospect for anyone ( and I mean ANYONE, because let's face it, when he's gone he won't give a fuck what happens to us) he will sell. And then we start this blindly support/slight disillusion/actively hate cycle again.

So Ashley doesn't matter now because he will soon be just a memory. In the meantime, we enjoy what we can.
1st April 2010 08:00 PM
ToonArmy1892 Online

First Team Regular

the thing is i reckon some fans will have half forgiven ashley for us going back to the prem, you know the ones that blamed Keegan for leaving.
1st April 2010 08:01 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

Some fans will. Some fans won't. Such is life.
1st April 2010 08:07 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

richyNUFC Wrote:I think if Hughton was given enough cash to spend, then there's no reason why he can't do a job in the PL.

Well there is no evidence to prove this is there? (Of course there is no evidence that he won't yet!).

Don't forget Souness threw away £50m and look where that got him.

Personally I think Hughton could be given a war chest of £100m, but due to his lack of "name" in the game he would struggle to attract players.

Half of Robson's success here was not just down to his actual managerial ability, but also that his reputation alone was a selling point to players.

There are still managers around that could come here and do an instant job, with a good reputation. We will never know if they will come however unless Ashley asks them - I am thinking of the likes of Sven, Hughes even MacLaren. Where would we be if Harry Redknapp had not turned Ashley down? Spurs aren't doing too badly are they?

However, if these men won't come here as you suggest, I see no point in getting rid of Hughton as most other managers are just chancers anyway.
1st April 2010 08:07 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

the way the game is financially imploding has worked out perfectly for Ashley

his prudence will be seen by those of similar thoughts to be the path forward

watch him be pally with the new WHU owners.

he will back Hughton with a pittance and sack him when it doesnt work

in a strange way he could end up gong full circle and backing a manger like

Allardyce
1st April 2010 08:36 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

tino Wrote:the way the game is financially imploding has worked out perfectly for Ashley

his prudence will be seen by those of similar thoughts to be the path forward

watch him be pally with the new WHU owners.

he will back Hughton with a pittance and sack him when it doesnt work

in a strange way he could end up gong full circle and backing a manger like

Allardyce

please noEek

but yes, the unfortunate side effect of keeping Hughton on will be that Ashley sees him as the cheap option as he will not kick up a fuss if he is given tuppence to spend on new players.

I maintain that a lot of our problems with Ashley have arisen due to Allardyce's awful transfer policy with players like Smith, Barton, Geremi and Cacapa. Ashley come to the conclusion that having one man make all the decisions did not work and this led to the Keegan/Wise fiasco.
1st April 2010 08:47 PM
jack Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

richyNUFC Wrote:Under Ashley, I see no manager in the world taking us anywhere near the top 6 in the next few seasons.

Ashley is the problem, not Hughton.

I think if Hughton was given enough cash to spend, then there's no reason why he can't do a job in the PL.

I do think that even without the funding he'll be able to keep us steadily improving but it'll take a while before we're up to the level of the top 6.

spot on again..

we will never reach any where near top ten under ashley as long as he continue's to be a miser.we will buy on the cheap and hope it is enough to keep us in the prem but alas that's as much as we can hope for aslong as big mike is at the helm.
2nd April 2010 12:02 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:Well there is no evidence to prove this is there? (Of course there is no evidence that he won't yet!).

Don't forget Souness threw away £50m and look where that got him.

Personally I think Hughton could be given a war chest of £100m, but due to his lack of "name" in the game he would struggle to attract players.

Half of Robson's success here was not just down to his actual managerial ability, but also that his reputation alone was a selling point to players.

There are still managers around that could come here and do an instant job, with a good reputation. We will never know if they will come however unless Ashley asks them - I am thinking of the likes of Sven, Hughes even MacLaren. Where would we be if Harry Redknapp had not turned Ashley down? Spurs aren't doing too badly are they?

However, if these men won't come here as you suggest, I see no point in getting rid of Hughton as most other managers are just chancers anyway.

I see your point, but even Glen Roeder managed to sign Martins, and he was quite a big signing, all the managers really need to do is sell the club, rather than themselves. Plus it seems Hughton has a lot of respect within the football world, a lot of people giving him a lot of credit, and players may think the same way.

As you say, there's no evidence that he'll do a good job in the PL, but there was also no evidence that KK would do well.

We could hire a proven manager - but we did that with Dalglish after he'd won the PL and he wasn't exactly brilliant.

Keeping Hughton may not work out well, but replacing him could have a negative effect aswell, so my thinking is that there's no need to change until he's failing. And as the aim of next season is to stay up, he should get at least half a season, not 6 or 7 games.
2nd April 2010 02:08 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote:......is the name of this thread.

And there is nothing he could possibly do that would endear him to us. The damage is done. We know it, he knows it. Even that horrible cunt Lambarse knows it.

The second that this club becomes an attractive saleable prospect for anyone ( and I mean ANYONE, because let's face it, when he's gone he won't give a fuck what happens to us) he will sell. And then we start this blindly support/slight disillusion/actively hate cycle again.

So Ashley doesn't matter now because he will soon be just a memory. In the meantime, we enjoy what we can.

You say there is nothing he could do that would endear him to us - but if he won something and got us back into the top 6 then I'd not mind him being here.

I think it's pretty certain that this will never happen and I agree that he'll fuck off as soon as he gets the cash he wants. It might take a while for him to get what he wants like.
2nd April 2010 02:11 PM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

I am not sure on this, sometimes i watch him in the directors box and when we score he looks genuinely pleased as does his daughter? so is that because he thinks its better to look like he gives a shit or is he genuinely happy because he wants to make a go of it?
2nd April 2010 02:27 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

richyNUFC Wrote:I see your point, but even Glen Roeder managed to sign Martins, and he was quite a big signing, all the managers really need to do is sell the club, rather than themselves. Plus it seems Hughton has a lot of respect within the football world, a lot of people giving him a lot of credit, and players may think the same way.

As you say, there's no evidence that he'll do a good job in the PL, but there was also no evidence that KK would do well.

We could hire a proven manager - but we did that with Dalglish after he'd won the PL and he wasn't exactly brilliant.

Keeping Hughton may not work out well, but replacing him could have a negative effect aswell, so my thinking is that there's no need to change until he's failing. And as the aim of next season is to stay up, he should get at least half a season, not 6 or 7 games.

Richy

football is a close knit community who dont say anyhting bad about each other. the only ones who do are foreign like Benitez

so When they enthuse about Hughton take it with a pinch of salt
2nd April 2010 02:27 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

tino Wrote:Richy

football is a close knit community who dont say anyhting bad about each other. the only ones who do are foreign like Benitez

so When they enthuse about Hughton take it with a pinch of salt

Aye not just current bosses, it's everyone, nobody other than Newcastle fans has anything bad to say about him.
2nd April 2010 02:38 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

after reading todays press i would rather we went for Oniell again

hes looking for a club to appreciate him and we need a top manager
2nd April 2010 03:33 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

I thought O'Neill said he was staying at Villa? Confused

What's it say in the press?

Anyway, I doubt O'Neill would work under Ashley.
2nd April 2010 03:38 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

hes threatened to leave at the end of the season if the club , fans and players dont match his ambition

his appointment would suit FAtboys 5 years rolling plan, consolidate buy improve challenge
2nd April 2010 03:45 PM
ToonArmy1892 Online

First Team Regular

Richy how can you say there was no evidence that KK would do well in the prem... he amlost won us the league!
2nd April 2010 09:40 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

I said there's no evidence that he'd do well next season.
6th April 2010 11:07 AM
Thread Closed