Rodgers favourite if Rafa leaves

omenator Offline

Owner

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

David Wagner and Brendan Rodgers are "among the leading contenders" to succeed Rafa Benitez at Newcastle United should the Spaniard decide to leave this summer, a report claims.

Benitez's contract expires at the end of the season and, while the United hierarchy are keen for the 58-year-old to extend his current deal, he has so far refused to do so.

Newcastle initially offered Benitez a five-year contract last summer, before proposing various 12-month packages, while a three-year deal has been suggested as the most recent compromise agreement.

Managing director Lee Charnley is keen for Benitez to sit down and re-open discussions over a new deal - the Spaniard has indefinitely postponed talks - but serious negotiations are yet to recommence. Benitez himself insists he is willing to discuss his future in time, but will not rush into making a decision.

It is understood that no approaches have been made by the club to any potential successors, with the United board still hopeful of avoiding the eventuality where Benitez departs at the end of the campaign.

One of the reasons why a deal rising to a potential club-record £21million fee for Miguel Almiron was sanctioned by Mike Ashley last month was in order to attempt to convince Benitez to commit his future to the club - as was the belated discussions with West Bromwich Albion over extending Salomon Rondon's Tyneside stay.

Celtic manager Rodgers - who has won seven trophies in Glasgow, and is on course to lift a third successive Scottish Premiership title - has been linked with the managerial role at St James' Park already this season, though the 46-year-old ex-Liverpool boss still has two-and-a-half years left on his contract.

Wagner, however, is a new name to have been floated as a future Newcastle manager following the German's impressive two-and-a-half-year spell at Huddersfield Town.

The 47-year-old - who led unfancied Huddersfield to promotion in 2016/17 alongside Newcastle, before unexpectedly keeping the Terriers in the Premier League last season - has reportedly "emerged in discussions" at St James' Park as a viable candidate to follow Benitez should the Spaniard depart.

It is claimed that the United hierarchy were impressed by Huddersfield's 2-1 victory at St James' Park at the start of the 2016/17 Championship campaign, and have followed his progress ever since.

With Wagner having departed the John Smith's Stadium on mutual terms last month, the German is free and available this summer - though Leicester City and Everton have also been floated as potential destinations for the former Borussia Dortmund reserve-team coach.

Rodgers, it is suggested, remains the "favourite" to succeed Benitez should the Spaniard depart - though it is understood that the club's hierarchy remain determined to keep their current manager in place if at all possible.
9th February 2019 11:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Surreymag Online

Youth Team
RE: Rodgers favourite if Rafa leaves

Time will tell I guess.
9th February 2019 11:42 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

i would advise him to stay at celtic
9th February 2019 12:29 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

Win next 4 club sold by April, Rafa signs new contract.

Let’s have some positivity man!
9th February 2019 12:38 PM
Surreymag Online

Youth Team

Let’s hope you are right we can but hope.
(This post was last modified: 9th February 2019 01:30 PM by Surreymag.)
9th February 2019 01:26 PM
The Lowther Offline

Reserve Team

(9th February 2019 12:38 PM)LeazesLoyal Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Win next 4 club sold by April, Rafa signs new contract.

Let’s have some positivity man!

thats dreamland Fingerscrossed

and so was beating man city
9th February 2019 07:32 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

If Rafa leaves and Ashley stays, the club is dead to me.

He's the only reason i'm hanging on, and i know i'm not alone.
(This post was last modified: 9th February 2019 08:19 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
9th February 2019 08:18 PM
davenufc Offline

Reserve Team

Clubs already dead to me and has been for a while if I'm honest. And this isn't some mellow dramatic tantrum over Ashley, just that for some of us, we've wanted him gone for a long while, and everytime he gets a Rafa benitez, or an almiron, we look at you getting all taken in and think "fuck me you mustn't be falling for this shit?", And sure enough everytime you do, people re-new tickets and on we go. Thing is though, and I can't be the only one, I've replaced going ..... I'm done. I've got family stuff which a lot of us probably have but I used to make time for the toon no matter what! But I honestly don't care. I can watch games, hope we win, but if we lose I just think, so fucking what! That's what Ashley has done to some of us. I honestly can't ever see my self ever going back, sad but eh ho.
10th February 2019 02:14 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

I will be back in a shot when he sells, i can't wait for the day.
(This post was last modified: 10th February 2019 02:44 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
10th February 2019 02:43 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

Why the fuck would Brendan Rogers come here ?
10th February 2019 09:34 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(10th February 2019 02:43 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I will be back in a shot when he sells, i can't wait for the day.

If you can get a ticket.
10th February 2019 12:02 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(10th February 2019 09:34 AM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Why the fuck would Brendan Rogers come here ?

because he's sick to fuck of winning titles and cups so fancies a white knuckle relegation dogfight every season instead.
11th February 2019 09:05 AM