NUFC v Burnley - Match Thread

ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite
RE: NUFC v Burnley - Match Thread

(27th February 2019 08:34 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(27th February 2019 01:12 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Just spot on from Robbie Earle.

Honestly can't understand some of our own fans not wanting Rafa as manager, but there ya gan.

He is single-handedly keeping us up and then some.

He is also a lovely man.

well to be honest I haven't heard too many people say they wanted a different manager - there have been a few but certainly not a significant number as far as I'm aware

There were however, plenty of people who were not happy with the style of play and the negative, defensive performances against teams we should have been having a go at - particularly at home

I made the point the other day that our first win of the season (in November) came about largely on the back of 3 enforced substitutions. More specifically when KI replaced Shelvey and we instantly saw a different, more effective style of play

If you think performances like yesterday are purely down to the addition of Almiron you couldn't be more wrong - performances like yesterday are because Benitez has taken off the shackles that were imposed on the players in the first half of the season

We get players forward in numbers now, not just on the break

Shar scored an absolute belter from 25 yards yesterday but in the first half of the season he would barely have crossed the half way line

I personally thought Benitez was playing a political game with Ashley to try and prove a point - resulting in muted performances, and a woeful home record

This side had pace and power in it before Almiron came in to play along side Rondon but it was restricted on purpose - Kenedy played at left back with the ineffective Atsu infront of him, Diame played in the same deep roll that saw him struggle first have last season until he was allowed more freedom which then saw him have a real impact on games

Everybody understands the restrictions Rafa is working under but for me he imposed his own restrictions on the side early on and we looked awful for it

He definitely ISN'T keeping us up single handed either like

5th best defensive record in the league.
27th February 2019 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

aye - because we play overly defensive football (or have done)

there were fans literally celebrating goal difference not too long ago

look what actual points do for the feelgood factor for the fans and the confidence of the players
27th February 2019 12:29 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Big Grin

Clean sheets get you points.

It's down to Rafa.

Howay Mac.

When was the last time our defence was this good.
(This post was last modified: 27th February 2019 01:09 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
27th February 2019 01:07 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Certainly not when Rafa bought Mat Sels.....
27th February 2019 01:17 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

How dare he not get every signing spot on when given peanuts to spend.
27th February 2019 01:24 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Hate to say it but i agree with mccreery most of the football has been horrendous , miserable containment bollocks the away match at cardiff at the start of the season fucking hell man if we cant attack them,,,,,the last two performances like as if someone waved a magic wand, burnley unbeaten in eight had no answer to our attacks, the passing and movement had them chasing shadows and the 9pass move v 'uddersfield that set up almiron for his chip that hit the post was the most beautifullest passage of play from us i've seen so far.
27th February 2019 04:32 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(27th February 2019 04:32 PM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Hate to say it but i agree with mccreery most of the football has been horrendous , miserable containment bollocks the away match at cardiff at the start of the season fucking hell man if we cant attack them,,,,,the last two performances like as if someone waved a magic wand, burnley unbeaten in eight had no answer to our attacks, the passing and movement had them chasing shadows and the 9pass move v 'uddersfield that set up almiron for his chip that hit the post was the most beautifullest passage of play from us i've seen so far.

Thankfully you and your ilk are the minority.

The majority know what Rafa has had to work with and the style of play that has had to come with it.
(This post was last modified: 27th February 2019 05:48 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
27th February 2019 05:46 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

You and your ilk

Hehee

I just got a vivid picture in my mind of you chasing after Rafas car leaving the training ground... Waving a pen and a laminated photo of him
27th February 2019 06:14 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

He'd be in the car giving him a hand shandy Smile
27th February 2019 06:34 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

(27th February 2019 08:34 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(27th February 2019 01:12 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Just spot on from Robbie Earle.

Honestly can't understand some of our own fans not wanting Rafa as manager, but there ya gan.

He is single-handedly keeping us up and then some.

He is also a lovely man.

well to be honest I haven't heard too many people say they wanted a different manager - there have been a few but certainly not a significant number as far as I'm aware

There were however, plenty of people who were not happy with the style of play and the negative, defensive performances against teams we should have been having a go at - particularly at home

I made the point the other day that our first win of the season (in November) came about largely on the back of 3 enforced substitutions. More specifically when KI replaced Shelvey and we instantly saw a different, more effective style of play

If you think performances like yesterday are purely down to the addition of Almiron you couldn't be more wrong - performances like yesterday are because Benitez has taken off the shackles that were imposed on the players in the first half of the season

We get players forward in numbers now, not just on the break

Shar scored an absolute belter from 25 yards yesterday but in the first half of the season he would barely have crossed the half way line

I personally thought Benitez was playing a political game with Ashley to try and prove a point - resulting in muted performances, and a woeful home record

This side had pace and power in it before Almiron came in to play along side Rondon but it was restricted on purpose - Kenedy played at left back with the ineffective Atsu infront of him, Diame played in the same deep roll that saw him struggle first have last season until he was allowed more freedom which then saw him have a real impact on games

Everybody understands the restrictions Rafa is working under but for me he imposed his own restrictions on the side early on and we looked awful for it

He definitely ISN'T keeping us up single handed either like

You wanted Benitez sacked mac admit it .....we'd be down there with the likes of Fulham if he'd had us playing any other way..
27th February 2019 07:28 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Bollocks - all I ever wanted was for him to take the shackles off and stop playing childish games with Ashley

We are playing a completely different style of football now and racking the points up
27th February 2019 07:39 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

I can't recall mcreery ever saying he wanted Rafa sacked like
27th February 2019 07:41 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

Well that was the impression I got but in the spirit of everybody's a bit happier these days il leave it at that ?...what I will say though and I'm sure mac will back me up on this is ..I've always said rafa is the expert at managing a squad through a season ,which is why it looks we could well finish mid table and not bottom three ..
27th February 2019 08:21 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

we've looked a well balanced side the last two games......dont want to give almiron the total credit for that, but is he the final piece in the jigsaw that rafa has been waiting for, in terms of having the confidence to send the team out to attack..?
27th February 2019 10:08 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

I don't know how Almiron can be the final piece in the jigsaw when our current form is in part down to the cracking form of Longstaff and Hayden in midfield - two players who barely figured in Rafas early seasons plans

(This post was last modified: 28th February 2019 12:02 AM by McCreery.)
27th February 2019 11:12 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

in terms of attacking......i said
27th February 2019 11:18 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

So you think we can have an effective attack with an ineffective midfield?
(This post was last modified: 27th February 2019 11:31 PM by McCreery.)
27th February 2019 11:20 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

I'm amazed with Hayden.

He was totally written off before Christmas.

He will go in the summer with a lot of respect and will have opened up a lot more options now too. He wont end up in the Championship as he may have done in January.
27th February 2019 11:30 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

What i mean is he has watched the others...rondon perez kenedy...rondon perez atsu....rondon perez murphy....and these combinations have not filled him with that much confidence that we could create enough problems for defenders by adopting an attacking mentality from the start of a match....seeing the rondon , perez almiron and the way they interacted in training in spain made his mind up that now we can attack teams.
27th February 2019 11:34 PM
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

Not that it's worth much, but while chatting up Barton he wasn't happy with Ashley, but said Rafa has some responsibility to take for not doing better with the money he has had, and that in his tactics, "he comes out negative a lot. Too much."

That said, great 3 points. Sitting on 31. 40 seems assured with 10 games to go. Will be very happy if we get to safety fast--I can do without another battle at the wrong end of the table.

Would fucking LOVE to take 3 from the scousers in the second to last game to knock them off the top of the table....even if that mean city wins the league.
(This post was last modified: 28th February 2019 05:49 AM by ColoradoMagpie.)
28th February 2019 05:40 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(28th February 2019 05:40 AM)ColoradoMagpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.but said Rafa has some responsibility to take for not doing better with the money he has had,

Well that is utter rubbish.
(This post was last modified: 28th February 2019 12:45 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
28th February 2019 12:44 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

Absolutely, there's no way that the manager should be held responsible for the signings and how they're utilised Confused
28th February 2019 04:01 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

(27th February 2019 11:12 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I don't know how Almiron can be the final piece in the jigsaw when our current form is in part down to the cracking form of Longstaff and Hayden in midfield - two players who barely figured in Rafas early seasons plans

I reckon the best thing you can do mac is to go and support another team until rafa is no longer manager because you are never going to be happy with him..
28th February 2019 04:50 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(28th February 2019 04:50 PM)carters Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(27th February 2019 11:12 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I don't know how Almiron can be the final piece in the jigsaw when our current form is in part down to the cracking form of Longstaff and Hayden in midfield - two players who barely figured in Rafas early seasons plans

I reckon the best thing you can do mac is to go and support another team until rafa is no longer manager because you are never going to be happy with him..

Big Grin

aye he's a funny lad mcreery like , its clear to most people that rafa has gone more attack minded due to the arrival of almiron, that's been the missing link in the puzzle, benitez has identified it, thrown £21m at it, and solved it......credit where it's due
28th February 2019 05:38 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Nah - I just say it as I see it....

We are currently playing some canny football - a world apart from the shite we were turning out first part of the season and it started long before Almiron signed

Not one of yous fuckers singing Rafas praises could have seen Longstaff & Hayden making it difficult for Shelvey & Diame to get into the side

It's happened completely by accident rather than design but feel free to stick your tongues up Rafas hoop if it makes you feel better about yoursells
28th February 2019 06:29 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

We have only had more possession in games that almirons has started....or 54%, yes it was against worse teams, but how can you say we've been playing some canny football with 23%possession v citeh ..28% v spurs,.

What on earth are you on about?
28th February 2019 06:41 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Which ones were/are his best buys.....
28th February 2019 06:41 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

What the fuck has possession got to do with quality of football?
28th February 2019 06:48 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(28th February 2019 06:48 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.What the fuck has possession got to do with quality of football?

You're fucking joking!?, Haha what a thicko, how the hell can we have been playing quality football......when we can't get the fucking ball?
28th February 2019 06:52 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

(28th February 2019 06:29 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Nah - I just say it as I see it....

We are currently playing some canny football - a world apart from the shite we were turning out first part of the season and it started long before Almiron signed

Not one of yous fuckers singing Rafas praises could have seen Longstaff & Hayden making it difficult for Shelvey & Diame to get into the side

It's happened completely by accident rather than design but feel free to stick your tongues up Rafas hoop if it makes you feel better about yoursells

Yee tells em...the fuckin fuckers.
28th February 2019 06:52 PM