Almiron & Rondon

Almiron & Rondon

McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Almiron & Rondon

Early days obviously but for the sake of discussion I'm going out on a limb and saying they aren't going to work well together

I've got mixed feelings about both of them on and individual level but I've seen nothing to suggest they are going to gel as a partnership

Rondon has his strengths but I'm not convinced his strengths are good enough in the fast pace of the PL - he has come up against to decent defenders recently and hasn't really shone against any of them

Almiron is what he is - a little speed machine that will chase the ball all day - too early to judge how many goals he is capable of but I genuinely don't see him creating too much for Rondon.

Personally feel we have to get a much more mobile target man who can keep up with the pace
4th March 2019 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team
RE: Almiron & Rondon

Interesting thoughts they certainly struggled on Saturday but in the previous 2 games I thought they did ok. I think Rondon holds the ball up well and is strong against most defenders. Almiron is still adjusting to the PL so the jury is out. Hopefully they will click in at least a couple of the remaining games and help to secure the points necessary for us to stay up.
4th March 2019 11:35 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman
Almiron & Rondon

I really do think that you do Rondon a disservice, Mac. The benefits he brings to the team are huge. His hold up play (despite this last weekend at West Ham) is very good, he's strong, quick and agile. He's good for about 10 goals a season but I think that would rise with a) better service and b) a strike partner (which under Rafa will never happen).

At the very least Rondon occupies the 2 central defenders of opposition so well that it frees up space for our other attackers.

Which brings me round to Almiron. I think we couldn't have hoped (rightly or wrongly) for a better signing. You yourself will have been on board with the need to strengthen our attacking options after we've been so defensive previously. He's a damn sight better than anyone we've got in midfield/up front in regards to his speed of thought, touch, pace and work-rate. He offers us so much more options in our attacking play.

You've also got a bit of a bum steer on the Almiron/Rondon not working together notion, I think. Despite it being early days, (which I know you already concede to) I think they have the potential to be very good, alongside Perez too. In time, when they get to know each other well, their runs, preferences etc, they can develop an understanding that can help us immensely. I don't see any signs of them not being able to do that as yet.
4th March 2019 02:49 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

I don't see why they can't work together.
4th March 2019 04:13 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(4th March 2019 02:49 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I really do think that you do Rondon a disservice, Mac. The benefits he brings to the team are huge. His hold up play (despite this last weekend at West Ham) is very good, he's strong, quick and agile. He's good for about 10 goals a season but I think that would rise with a) better service and b) a strike partner (which under Rafa will never happen).

At the very least Rondon occupies the 2 central defenders of opposition so well that it frees up space for our other attackers.

Which brings me round to Almiron. I think we couldn't have hoped (rightly or wrongly) for a better signing. You yourself will have been on board with the need to strengthen our attacking options after we've been so defensive previously. He's a damn sight better than anyone we've got in midfield/up front in regards to his speed of thought, touch, pace and work-rate. He offers us so much more options in our attacking play.

You've also got a bit of a bum steer on the Almiron/Rondon not working together notion, I think. Despite it being early days, (which I know you already concede to) I think they have the potential to be very good, alongside Perez too. In time, when they get to know each other well, their runs, preferences etc, they can develop an understanding that can help us immensely. I don't see any signs of them not being able to do that as yet.

Aye - like I say, too early to really back my own own theory up..... more of a gut feeling type of thing

I see the partnership as a bit like the Bellamy/Shearer one where Bellamy was having to do a lot of the running for Shearer

The obvious difference being Rondon is no Shearer

I see Almiron as one of those erratic types of suppliers - skinning his bloke and putting balls into danger areas (rather than on someone's head) I just don't see Rondon as the striker who will capitalise from that kind of service too often

As I say though - opinion point only at this stage

(This post was last modified: 4th March 2019 06:00 PM by McCreery.)
4th March 2019 05:56 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

they'll be absolutely fine, an attention seeking thread if ever i saw one ......nothing to see here Rolleyes
4th March 2019 09:30 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Almiron & Rondon

Ah well - that's the end of that one

The forum bellend strikes again
5th March 2019 05:51 AM

Chairman

I think it’s safe to say that Rondon is no Shearer and Miggy is no Bellamy. However, given time I don’t see any reason now why they can’t play together effectively.

I don’t see the warning signs that make your gut instinct so pessimistic. All I’ve seen from the two players so far suggests that they can be very effective and I truly believe that, given time, they will be.

The question is, under which manager.
5th March 2019 06:33 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(5th March 2019 05:51 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Ah well - that's the end of that one

The forum bellend strikes again

so touchy Big Grin
5th March 2019 08:11 AM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter

(5th March 2019 06:33 AM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I think it’s safe to say that Rondon is no Shearer and Miggy is no Bellamy. However, given time I don’t see any reason now why they can’t play together effectively.

I don’t see the warning signs that make your gut instinct so pessimistic. All I’ve seen from the two players so far suggests that they can be very effective and I truly believe that, given time, they will be.

I suspect Rondon won't be here either unless free.
5th March 2019 08:13 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(5th March 2019 06:33 AM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I think it’s safe to say that Rondon is no Shearer and Miggy is no Bellamy. However, given time I don’t see any reason now why they can’t play together effectively.

I reckon part of my thinking is based on Rondon not being our player

Not sure what Wolves would want for him and any deal will likely involve Gayle - But if he is valued at around the 20 mil mark I personally would look elsewhere
5th March 2019 08:16 AM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter
Almiron & Rondon

Its WBA, but I think he's out of contract in the summer.

But us signing a player who's 30 in September?
5th March 2019 08:20 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Almiron & Rondon

Last year of contract and knocking on 30 I cant imagine many, if any, will pay £20mil for Rondon.

There should be a deal to be done with them through Gayle mind, as I dare say they wont be promoted or at least I hope they wont.

I like Rondon, I think he offers a lot. I do think he struggles a little when the fixtures start piling up but I guess a lot of that is down to having to use him in every fixture.

I would like us to sign him, along with another centre forward mind, but I just cant see Ashley sactioning that.
5th March 2019 08:28 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Almiron & Rondon

aye - don't know where Wolves came from

I didn't realise he was nearly 30 either

I didn't realise he was in his last year either Sal - that could change things
(This post was last modified: 5th March 2019 08:30 AM by McCreery.)
5th March 2019 08:28 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

fucking hell, keep up mate. Rolleyes
5th March 2019 08:47 AM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter
Almiron & Rondon

If he's out of contract in the summer surely he'll be available for free?
5th March 2019 08:47 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Almiron & Rondon

It basically backs up my reservations in the first place you tedious little pissflap

ermm...not you HF
(This post was last modified: 5th March 2019 08:50 AM by McCreery.)
5th March 2019 08:49 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

never heard of fooking wiki like? Rolleyes

"On 10 August 2015, Rondón joined English club West Bromwich Albion on a four-year-deal for a club-record fee of £12 million."
5th March 2019 08:52 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

(5th March 2019 08:47 AM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.If he's out of contract in the summer surely he'll be available for free?

They extended it a year when he came on loan.
5th March 2019 09:12 AM

Chairman
Almiron & Rondon

Although I'm not optimistic about Rafa staying at all, I am fairly hopeful that we'll sign Rondon in the summer. After all, he'll be cheap as chips - not only will WBA want to keep the much younger Gayle, he's 30 and he's got 1 year left on his contract so won't command a large transfer fee more likely that WBA will want to do a swap. Possibly with a few quid involved aswell.

I'd be delighted to keep him. I really rate Rondon.
5th March 2019 05:26 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

if benitez stays he must be fucking mental, mike ashley will never change....ever
5th March 2019 05:47 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Almiron & Rondon

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
6th March 2019 04:18 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

In great Ashley tradition he will fuck up any chance of Rondon joining the club.
6th March 2019 04:56 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

I think we will change his role to be more of a striker others play off

We have runners who will get ahead of him for his flick ons etc
6th March 2019 08:02 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Almiron & Rondon

I sort of think that as well tino

Reducing his own threat to an extent
6th March 2019 08:16 PM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Almiron just needs to chill a little is he really keen a little to keen to get that first goal but the boy will be a superstar for sure but he need to do what the wife tells me to do after 12 pints “Just relax it will COME naturally.”
12th March 2019 01:55 PM
guff Offline

First Team Regular

(12th March 2019 01:55 PM)DUMFRIESGEORDIE Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Almiron just needs to chill a little is he really keen a little to keen to get that first goal but the boy will be a superstar for sure but he need to do what the wife tells me to do after 12 pints “Just relax it will COME naturally.”

No point in hurrying a conversation with God on the big white telephone.
12th March 2019 01:57 PM

Chairman
Almiron & Rondon

He wasn't referring to that, Guff.
12th March 2019 02:56 PM
guff Offline

First Team Regular

Drinking 12 pints and the effects thereof is but a fleeting memory.
12th March 2019 03:02 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(12th March 2019 01:55 PM)DUMFRIESGEORDIE Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Almiron just needs to chill a little is he really keen a little to keen to get that first goal but the boy will be a superstar for sure but he need to do what the wife tells me to do after 12 pints “Just relax it will COME naturally.”

Aye - he has that look of an o er keen boy band member at one of them charity matches

He's exactly like I imagine any one of us would be if we ever got the chance to pull on the shirt and play at St James'
12th March 2019 03:10 PM