Credit where it's due

Credit where it's due

Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman
Credit where it's due

Rafa's tactical switch at half-time, taking off Jamaal for Dummett and reverting to four at the back, changed the whole outlook of the match. Although going to a flat back 4 we were leaving gaps behind the full backs, I thought the extra body in midfield really gave us an excellent platform to get at Andre Gomes (who was so composed in possession).

The sub of Ki for Shelvey also gave us an attacking impetus, with Jonjo immediately sending a ball through for Yedlin to chase.

I'm not convinced that we should have been two down at HT but Rafa's decisions yesterday were positive, measured and just what I wanted to see from him.

I'm more than happy to pelt Rafa for his late subs sometimes and negative strategies but yesterday I thought he won us that game.

Proper loving the Almiron, Perez & Rondon thing too.
10th March 2019 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Credit where it's due

I can't really comment on the match cos I only saw it on MOTD this morning

But replying to your comment TAB - Rafa is obviously a fantastic manager but I've always felt we get lost in his defensive negative tactics.

Fair play to him for switching things at half time but I just wish he would be more attack minded at home from the off

It sounds like the ref had a big say in the outcome aswell with Everton being denied two decent penalty shouts - I don't agree with the double jeapordy ruling as I thought Pickford should have gone but the ruling is there for the refs to adhere to

Cracking result though and I welled up watching the celebrations for the 3rd - brought back some great memories

(This post was last modified: 10th March 2019 01:25 PM by McCreery.)
10th March 2019 01:22 PM

Chairman
Credit where it's due

I have watched the full 90 minutes twice and can honestly say that we weren't set up defensively at all. Granted, we were second best in the first half as, let's face it, they have much better individual players than us. But I didn't see any evidence of us playing defensively at any point yesterday. We huffed and puffed in the first 45 but everything we threw at them, they dealt with with ease. There was a clear problem that needed addressing at half-time and Rafa did that. Historically, he's always waited until well after the hour mark to make any changes but he acted early yesterday and his tweaking, along with his instructions to the players, paid off.

If he'd not made those tactical changes I think we'd have been tonked a good 3,4,5 nil.

Lee Mason was awful yesterday. It wasn't just a couple of incorrect penalty shouts for Everton (of which 1 was nailed on in my opinion), he was even consistently calling throw-ins incorrectly. I understand the frustration the players (all 22 of them and the managers) had.

On that note, we received two ridiculous yellow cards aswell. One for Schar for throwing the ball away after one of those bad throw in calls, which means he's banned for the next two games. Another for Shelvey for dissent, arguing a decision. Although I thought Shelvey played very well for his 30 or so minutes, that part of his game still needs addressing.

All in all, though. I think Rafa should be commended for his decisions yesterday, I do believe he won it for us.
10th March 2019 02:57 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Credit where it's due

I took it from what you'd said about reverting to a flat 4 that we must have started off with 5 at the back?

That was what I was referring to rather than a parking the bus defensive setup

I really just wish he would have more faith in us at times because we are well capable of playing some canny football when he let's us
10th March 2019 03:30 PM

Chairman
RE: Credit where it's due

Nah it was the usual 3 centre backs with two wings backs. Ordinarily that can be enough for Yedlin and Ritchie to push right up when we have possession. But that just wasn’t happening in the first half. Their two fullbacks were playing high up the pitch and, with their extra man in midfield, it meant we were struggling to create much going forward. I don’t think that it was a deliberately defensive set up, I think that they nullified is very well.

Once we got the extra man in midfield though, it kind of confused them as they had less options when in possession. We also had that extra impetus which worked a treat.

It’s one of those where it could have backfired if Everton had utilised the space behind our full backs but they didn’t really have the quality running in behind.

In my opinion, which I know in the grand scheme of things is worth fuck all, I though it was an excellent tactical change that should be applauded. Ordinarily, when we are struggling to create much going forward, everyone would be screaming for an attacker to be brought on, but with his defensive reshuffle, Rafa did that very effectively.

Hats off I say.
10th March 2019 04:06 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

[Image: giphy.gif]
10th March 2019 04:10 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Yes indeed I agree with everything said and was mightily happy at the end of the game.
10th March 2019 07:31 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

He did well to change it and we looked much better for it....but also nevertons workrate in the first half was immense and they were visibly fucked halfway thru the second and pretty much there for the taking. That's how I saw it anyway.
11th March 2019 12:41 PM
guff Offline

First Team Regular

(10th March 2019 12:34 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Rafa's tactical switch at half-time, taking off Jamaal for Dummett and reverting to four at the back…

Not wanting to join the brass-monkey club but… I thought Lascelles had a knee injury.
11th March 2019 12:52 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(11th March 2019 12:52 PM)guff Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(10th March 2019 12:34 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Rafa's tactical switch at half-time, taking off Jamaal for Dummett and reverting to four at the back…

Not wanting to join the brass-monkey club but… I thought Lascelles had a knee injury.

He did, but he could have just put Dummett as a like for like sub and kept the same formation, but he changed it.
11th March 2019 01:00 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

no no no, tab called it a "tactical switch"...stop sticking up for him, he's watched it over and over yet still didn't know Lascelles was injured......oh dear. Rolleyes
11th March 2019 05:54 PM

Chairman
Credit where it's due

I wasn't aware that Lascelles substitution was because of an injury. There's no mention of it that I've seen.

Either way, how is switching from a 3 CB/2 WB to a flat back four NOT a tactical switch?
11th March 2019 06:01 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

it is but the point is you thought hooking Lascelles was tactical when in fact it wasn't,....was it? Tongue
11th March 2019 06:09 PM

Chairman

How is changing from 5 at the back with wing backs to a flat back four not a tactical switch.?

Chop chop, genius.
11th March 2019 08:36 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

i agreed it was
11th March 2019 09:20 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

A forced tactical switch? ?
15th March 2019 01:43 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

TAB making a thread about giving credit to Benitez, as if everything else he has done has been shite apart from that Everton game is a bit weird.

Just saying.
16th March 2019 12:42 AM

Chairman

Not at all.

Starting a thread about how much I love Rondon doesn’t mean I hate the other players.
16th March 2019 08:53 AM