NUFC v Brighton - Match Thread

omenator Offline

Owner

Head to Head
  • Newcastle have failed to score in all three Premier League meetings, losing 0-1 twice and drawing the other game 0-0.
  • Brighton won at St James' Park in October and are looking to complete the league double over Newcastle for the first time since 1978-79.

Line Ups

Newcastle - Dubravka, Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Dummett, Ritchie, Hayden, Shelvey, Perez, Atsu, Rondon

Subs - Darlow, Yedlin, Barreca, Diame, Ki, Kenedy, Muto

Brighton - Ryan, Bruno, Duffy, Dunk, Bernardo, Gross, Stephens, Kayal, Izquuierdo, Murray, Andone

Subs - Button, Burn, Bong, Bissouma, Knockaert, March, Locadia

Links (27)

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

If you would like to say thanks, please support ToTT by using the donate button at the top of the site

27th April 2019 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite
RE: NUFC v Brighton - Match Thread

HTL.
27th April 2019 04:13 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

knockaert is a little french cunt
27th April 2019 04:26 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Online

Chairman

Cannot stand that baldy cunt with the massive beard.

Get in Pérez.
(This post was last modified: 27th April 2019 04:50 PM by Tight_Ass_Bramble.)
27th April 2019 04:41 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

he's on fire Smile
27th April 2019 04:58 PM
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite

Excellent first half.
27th April 2019 05:20 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

62% possession..........dafuq?
27th April 2019 05:24 PM
The Lowther Offline

Reserve Team

what a wank 2nd half
27th April 2019 06:16 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Online

Chairman

For the hour we were without Miggy & Perez supporting Rondon, we were absolutely toothless. Atsu & Kenedy are poor substitutes for those two.

Still, fuck Cardiff.
27th April 2019 06:23 PM
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite

Think Rafa was wrong to put Kenedy on first.

There, i criticized him.

Safe, away point, meh.

7 points from last 9, with two away games is good.

Need 2 more points to match last season's tally.

Let's do the scousers.
(This post was last modified: 27th April 2019 06:39 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
27th April 2019 06:25 PM
McCreery Online

Fan Favourite

(27th April 2019 06:23 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.For the hour we were without Miggy & Perez supporting Rondon, we were absolutely toothless. Atsu & Kenedy are poor substitutes for those two.

Still, fuck Cardiff.

Agree and disagree with this TAB.....

We did OK without Almiron in the first half (certainly possession wise)

To then lose our inform scorer did make us look toothless but Rondon has to take his fair share of the blame for that

When we are under the cosh his hold up play is virtually non existent, he doesn't chase lost causes like you would want him too, half the time he gives up the chase and applauds a decent pass and he is rarely where you need him to be when we do break quickly

The more I see of him in a 3 pronged attack the less I think of him

If we are able to keep Perez and get a much more mobile main striker next season I reckon we could do ok

(This post was last modified: 27th April 2019 09:33 PM by McCreery.)
27th April 2019 06:47 PM
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite

In an ideal world Rondon wouldn't be our first choice striker, he would be back up to a really good striker.

But Mike Ashley.

Wey, in an ideal world we'd have Messi with Ronaldo as back up but you know what i mean.
(This post was last modified: 27th April 2019 07:03 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
27th April 2019 07:02 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Walk in the park first half then poor second half. Brighton were there for the taking they are shit. I guess the positive thing is that we didn’t get beat. I think the second half performance answers my question about paying £60 to go to the Fulham game. I think the tickets are all gone anyway.
27th April 2019 07:11 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Online

Chairman

(27th April 2019 06:47 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(27th April 2019 06:23 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.For the hour we were without Miggy & Perez supporting Rondon, we were absolutely toothless. Atsu & Kenedy are poor substitutes for those two.

Still, fuck Cardiff.

Agree and disagree with this TAB.....

We did OK without Almiron in the first half (certainly possession wise)

To then lose our inform scorer did make us look toothless but Rondon has to take his fair share of the blame for that

When we are under the cosh his hold up play is virtually non existent, he doesn't chase lost causes like you would want him too, half the time he gives up the chase and applauds a decent pass and he is rarely where you need him to be when we do break quickly

The more I see of him in a 3 pronged attack the less I think of him

If we are able to keep Perez and get a much more mobile main striker next season I reckon we could do ok

To expand on my point about the merits of Miggy, Rondon & Perez, it was almost the second that Perez went off that we started to look weak going forward. Granted, we maintained a decent level of possession but that was almost exclusively our back five passing the ball around between themselves with the occasional foray into midfield to Shelvey and Hayden. Once we even thought about getting into their final third, through Kenedy or Atsu, there was absolutely nothing in terms of a final ball or creativity. It was blatantly apparent, the loss of Miggy & Perez, and it maintained throughout the rest of the match.

Kenedy looks disinterested and Atsu is completely bereft of ideas. It's no wonder that Rondon cut a lonely figure up top. There was absolutely nothing for him. No service, no support, very little understanding between him and Atsu (which I don't think is solely Atsu's fault btw), it's a far cry from what we would have done to that Brighton team with a full fit squad.

I also think that it would have been the same if Rondon had gone off injured and not Perez. Having Joselu, Perez and Atsu would have been just as ineffective. The sum total of Perez, Rondon & Miggy is greater than the parts.

Going forward, if Perez is out for next week, I fear we won't be anywhere near as effective as we would have been with him and Miggy in. I am less optimistic about turning the scousers over. Much.
28th April 2019 09:09 AM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

We just need to grind out what we can until the end of the season. This summer we should be able to add a couple of quality players and avoid the relegation worries we had this season. It's a shame it's our best players that are out injured.
28th April 2019 09:58 AM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Yes just the way it is. I think we should just go out and play in a relaxed manner. If we get beaten so be it the hard work has been done. I have decided to bite the bullet pay £60 and go to Fulham for the last game of the season. Should be a good day out regardless of the result. Also I don’t have far to travel so those costs will not be high. Let’s hope we just go for it regardless of who is fit not fit etc etc.
28th April 2019 04:04 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Ticket secured for the Fulham game only 40 mins on the train to Putney then on the beer. Not so sure about work on the Monday but will cross that bridge nearer the time I guess haha!
28th April 2019 06:46 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Another shit season, another season dominated by the fear of relegation, another season of feeling content with survival and satisfied with mediocrity.... Now things need to happen, something will happen.
28th April 2019 07:21 PM
McCreery Online

Fan Favourite

Nothing will happen
28th April 2019 08:11 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

i'll remember that comment
30th April 2019 07:04 AM
McCreery Online

Fan Favourite

what do you expect will happen ?
30th April 2019 07:11 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

i expect benitez to walk
30th April 2019 07:24 AM
McCreery Online

Fan Favourite

ahh - I thought your previous post was a prediction for next season

I agree - Benitez may walk but I suspect he will be happy to stay for less commitment from Ashley than people think
30th April 2019 08:01 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

No, what I meant was after three challenging years for benitez having to work in an environment he is pretty much unaccustomed to, working with average players and a spell in the shit league, not much changing finding himself locked in a contract he can't get out of, finally something now has to happen one way or another.
30th April 2019 08:19 AM