What will make Rafa sign a new contract..

McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Just for the sake of conversation...

If Rafa signing a new contract purely depended on how much he would have to spend each season on players - what would that figure be?

What is the figure you think would tip the balance for him ??
29th April 2019 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jack Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
RE: What will make Rafa sign a new contract..

50m plus player sale money is,i think the best he can hope for this summer.
Unless a buyer is waiting in the wings.
29th April 2019 08:09 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

£67,245,000
29th April 2019 09:30 AM
guff Offline

First Team Regular

And 26 pence.
29th April 2019 09:59 AM
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite

I don't think it's about a specific number, probably more concerned about getting deals done earlier, not fucking about haggling etc.

So he can actually get 1st or 2nd choice players, rather than 4th or 5th like Joselu et al.
(This post was last modified: 29th April 2019 10:04 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
29th April 2019 10:02 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(29th April 2019 10:02 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I don't think it's about a specific number, probably more concerned about getting deals done earlier, not fucking about haggling etc.

So he can actually get 1st or 2nd choice players, rather than 4th or 5th like Joselu et al.

That's got to be dependent on budget as well though
29th April 2019 10:36 AM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Simple then, when he gives Penfold his list, just give him a choice of two for each position..
29th April 2019 10:37 AM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

ref players

the under 23s are doing well so we might have others like Longstaff to come through, benitiez will know better than us

i think the reality is he needs to see a management who are matching his ambitions.

he wont want to be in the bargain bucket section anymore

a genuine ambition to buy players who can improve the squad rather than those who can keep us up

that shouldnt be a problem we have done this before, sadly for the wrong managers
29th April 2019 12:28 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Watch this space. MA will be more than happy that we have stayed up, so I am guessing investment will be once again minimal.
29th April 2019 03:39 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(29th April 2019 07:40 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Just for the sake of conversation...

If Rafa signing a new contract purely depended on how much he would have to spend each season on players - what would that figure be?

What is the figure you think would tip the balance for him ??

I reckon £20bn would do it but he certainly wouldn't be happy with £64.80. So somewhere in between those two.

More seriously I think he'll be thinking that £40-50m would be the minimum for us to stand still and another £30m on top of that to improve on our current position. That's just in transfer fees. The wage bill will have to increase as well. Probably by another £20m. So it's getting close to £100m to get up to 12th - 8th I reckon.

Well I don't really as I've purely fabricated these figures to make it look like I know what I'm talking about but I'm merely pottering at a jumble sale like the rest of us.
29th April 2019 06:05 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

I reckon it goes without saying that Ashley's ambition for us on the pitch is nowhere near Rafas which got me to thinking what exactly is Rafas ambition for us

I know he thinks he can make us a top 10 side without all the worry of relegation but how much does he think that will take - more importantly, is that the extent of his ambition for us given that he knows full well what Ashley wants from us as a club
29th April 2019 06:17 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(29th April 2019 12:28 PM)tino Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.the under 23s are doing well so we might have others like Longstaff to come through, benitiez will know better than us

The likes of Longstaff are rarities from our academy. They are from most clubs' academies really. They come through every few years rather than every season. I remember when the likes of Scholes, Butt, Giggs, et. al. were produced by Man Utd and for years afterwards their emerging 'talent' were raking in £1m+ fees for them. They'd bring someone through to the first team squad and give them a few minutes off the bench here and there. They marketed their academy on the back of one 'golden' generation and their academy was paying for itself. If a player fitted into the first team picture then it probably saved them a good £5m or so, which meant they could invest in quality like that Veron and that lad who couldn't hit a barn door with a cow's banjo. Or something. Big Grin

We could have done the same with Carroll, advertised our academy on the back of him. If any clubs were looking to sign injury prone worky tickets like. Big Grin

(29th April 2019 06:17 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I reckon it goes without saying that Ashley's ambition for us on the pitch is nowhere near Rafas which got me to thinking what exactly is Rafas ambition for us

I know he thinks he can make us a top 10 side without all the worry of relegation but how much does he think that will take - more importantly, is that the extent of his ambition for us given that he knows full well what Ashley wants from us as a club

I've sadly come to the realisation that Ashley isn't going to sell up unless he's offered something unbelievable and that isn't going to happen in the foreseeable. When the fans protest he just seems to dig his heels in and look for ways to punish us.
(This post was last modified: 29th April 2019 06:23 PM by lipsquid.)
29th April 2019 06:18 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

You've came to the realisation Ashley isn't going to sell? That's quite quick off the mark!

The club had a lot of debt when Ashley took over so it would take a lot of money for Ashley to leave and recover the amount he spent on the club.

This summer we have money to spend, just hope it's the right people spending it and on quality players.
29th April 2019 09:35 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

It will be more of the same next season to break into the top 6 the investment required is vastly different to what will really happen. It’s the same for a lot of clubs. Also the wrong sort of investment can end in disaster just look at Fulham. It can however reap some reward as seen at Wolves. Who knows I am not convinced that much will change really.
29th April 2019 09:44 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(29th April 2019 09:44 PM)Surreymag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.It will be more of the same next season to break into the top 6 the investment required is vastly different to what will really happen. It’s the same for a lot of clubs. Also the wrong sort of investment can end in disaster just look at Fulham. It can however reap some reward as seen at Wolves. Who knows I am not convinced that much will change really.

if benitez decides to stay things will have to change, alternatively if he agrees to stay in the knowledge that not much will change then he clearly has a screw loose.
30th April 2019 07:02 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(30th April 2019 07:02 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(29th April 2019 09:44 PM)Surreymag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.It will be more of the same next season to break into the top 6 the investment required is vastly different to what will really happen. It’s the same for a lot of clubs. Also the wrong sort of investment can end in disaster just look at Fulham. It can however reap some reward as seen at Wolves. Who knows I am not convinced that much will change really.

if benitez decides to stay things will have to change, alternatively if he agrees to stay in the knowledge that not much will change then he clearly has a screw loose.

This is what concerns me....

He obviously wants to stop having to worry about relegation each season and have a push at the cups - to do that I reckon its going to take at least 50 mil a season (with player sales on top)

My worry is that the fans will be ecstatic with that and Ashley yet again gets no pressure put on him to fuck off

we will be in this zombie state for years while the fans are happy with Benitez and Ashley is happy we are still making profits each window
30th April 2019 07:10 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

Ashley isn't going to budge no matter how much pressure is put on him. I'm convinced of that.
30th April 2019 07:28 AM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

This talk of the debt Ashley took on fails to recognise he also got a new stadium which is now in decline , a far better squad than we currently have and a marketing side which brought in higher revenues

Hes had many years in which to recover the debt and he hasn't
We cant continue to use this excuse as to why hes a right git

If SD paid their fair share for advertising, he could be debt free, really it's a benefit in kind and HMRC should be investigating it
30th April 2019 07:55 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(30th April 2019 07:28 AM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Ashley isn't going to budge no matter how much pressure is put on him. I'm convinced of that.

I'm convinced a massive drop off in attendance will shift him - utterly fuckin convinced
30th April 2019 08:17 AM
jack Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Here's a thought for fatty, use a banks money to buy players then the debt is passed on to any future new owner. Like just about every other club does.
Manur must be close to a billion in debt to some bank or other.do we hear manures fans whinging?
Ok right now because there a shower of shit but you get the drift...
30th April 2019 10:04 AM
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite

I think when Rafa first came he thought he could eventually get us in the champions league and challenging for the title like the Keegan and Robson days, i don't think he realised how ambitionless and just how much of a twat Mike Ashley was.

I think he has had to lower his ambition because of that but he clearly loves the job and the area etc and will still stay if we can at least be comfortable in mid table looking up to 7th rather than the bottom half, it means he can at least have a proper go at the cups.

Whether Ashley will even sanction enough money for that is another matter, probably not.

It's either Rafa with expectations slightly lowered or some absolute berk like Mark Hughes, in which case i'd want us to lose every game until Ashley has gone.

Ashley still here is shit full stop but Benitez is the only beacon of light and i don't want to want my club to lose every week, but it looks like that's what will happen as it stands.
(This post was last modified: 30th April 2019 11:42 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
30th April 2019 11:41 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Benitez with lowered ambitions is a very real concern

season after season of mid table mediocrity while the fans are just happy to have him here

I genuinely hope it doesn't happen
30th April 2019 12:06 PM
ToonArmy1892 Online

Fan Favourite

Benitez going won't see the crowds drop that much though, still be about 48k.
30th April 2019 12:30 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

There wouldn't have been the decline if the finances weren't in such a mess. Players on wages the club couldn't afford or the unaffordable transfer fees has held us back a lot. Paying off useless managers also has had a big effect.
30th April 2019 01:25 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Poor owld Ashley - fancy buying an established PL club with recent CL history and having to spend some money on it
30th April 2019 04:20 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

(30th April 2019 01:25 PM)t00nraider Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.There wouldn't have been the decline if the finances weren't in such a mess. Players on wages the club couldn't afford or the unaffordable transfer fees has held us back a lot. Paying off useless managers also has had a big effect.

He should have done due diligence, having said that, it won't have made any difference, he'd still have been a massive Cunt.
30th April 2019 04:57 PM

Chairman

(30th April 2019 12:06 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Benitez with lowered ambitions is a very real concern

season after season of mid table mediocrity while the fans are just happy to have him here

I'm not sure this entirely stacks up, Mac.

If Rafa manages to establish an agreed amount of investment each year throughout the course of his contract, then why would that lead to 'season after season of mid-table mediocrity' ?

Again, on the premise that Rafa manages to do that, with yearly investment being a condition of contract, why wouldn't he manage to progress us year on year from the relegation fodder that we are now through mid-table mediocrity to challenging for Europe ?

That's what he sees in us. Potential. So if he negotiates the funds in order to achieve that, why wouldn't he, of all the managers we've had since SBR, be able to provide that ?
30th April 2019 06:08 PM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter

(30th April 2019 01:25 PM)t00nraider Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.There wouldn't have been the decline if the finances weren't in such a mess. Players on wages the club couldn't afford or the unaffordable transfer fees has held us back a lot. Paying off useless managers also has had a big effect.

Still trotting this shite out....we’ve been over and over this. For the latest edition read Tino’s post above. Then reread, then for the avoidance of doubt read it again. Come back if you have any questions.
30th April 2019 07:16 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(30th April 2019 06:08 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(30th April 2019 12:06 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Benitez with lowered ambitions is a very real concern

I'm not sure this entirely stacks up, Mac.

If Rafa manages to establish an agreed amount of investment each year throughout the course of his contract, then why would that lead to 'season after season of mid-table mediocrity' ?

Again, on the premise that Rafa manages to do that, with yearly investment being a condition of contract, why wouldn't he manage to progress us year on year from the relegation fodder that we are now through mid-table mediocrity to challenging for Europe ?

That's what he sees in us. Potential. So if he negotiates the funds in order to achieve that, why wouldn't he, of all the managers we've had since SBR, be able to provide that ?

But surely having Benitez here with a budget that allows us to progress year on year is the dream isn't it? - it's all any of us want?

I don't think Ashley has any intention to do that and I'm also not sure if Rafa hasn't had his own expectations managed and will be willing to take on the challenge despite Ashley still taking the piss out of us
30th April 2019 09:23 PM

Chairman

I would hope that that’s exactly what Rafa is negotiating. If MIke doesn’t acquiesce to those basic conditions then Rafa should walk.

If he does agree to it, then it’s a win for us. If not, Rafa goes. Then I can’t see a way of Rafa staying and it being a bad situation.
1st May 2019 07:33 AM