Rondon POTY

Rondon POTY

Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman
Rondon POTY

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Salomón Rondón has been named as Newcastle United’s official Player of the Year for the 2018/19 campaign.

The Venezuelan frontman joined the Magpies on loan from West Bromwich Albion at the start of the season, and has since found the net 11 times in 32 appearances.

In the Premier League alone, Rondón has been involved in 47 per cent of United’s goals, having contributed eight assists in addition to his ten top-flight strikes.

He takes over the gong from skipper Jamaal Lascelles, and becomes the first forward to win the award since Alan Shearer in the 2002/03 campaign.

As much as I've been impressed with him and having been as vocal as I have been about how much I rate him, I'm quite surprised he's been voted the player of the season.

I was expecting Perez or Ritchie to be honest.

Either way, I think it's a good thing for his work to have been acknowledged like this.

Sign him up, mike you fat cunt.
9th May 2019 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team
RE: Rondon POTY

He needs to be signed doesn’t mean it will happen with the fat controller in charge. I think he’s a good choice for player of the season. Perez has been great second half and Ritchie is a 100% player. Rondo has been consistently good in my opinion.
9th May 2019 05:56 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
RE: Rondon POTY

agreed i was expecting perez to get it, no-one else has really stood out...
9th May 2019 06:02 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Rondon POTY

It won't surprise many on here that he wouldn't have been my choice

In a way it highlights the state of the club when a striker with 11 goals and 8 assists gets you player of the year - the state of the club isn't his fault though so fair play to him

Perez might be a bit miffed having scored more PL goals

Being totally cynical - I wonder how much winning player of the year might add to his valuation?
9th May 2019 06:08 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular
Rondon POTY

West Brom player, is Newcastle United player of the year......

Smashing
9th May 2019 06:42 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular
Rondon POTY

From what I've seen of him he's more of a grafter type of player. Mind the Three Amigos up front have occupied defenders in different ways. Rondon with his strength, Perez chasing down lost causes and not allowing defenders to become too comfortable on the ball and Almiron's pace must shit them up a bit. It would be nice to see Almiron beat the 'keeper though. They seem to be able to position themselves against him.

A couple of players I've been impressed with are Schär and Dummett. I used to slag the latter off but he's turning into a solid, no frills, honest, player who is getting better at reading the game. He's still liable to get skinned, especially on the break, but he has good cover. Unlike Dummett, Schär seems to be a lot more comfortable on the ball but does appear to make more lunging tackles rather than calm interceptions because his anticipation has been incorrect or he hasn't forced an attacker where he wants him. I also like his directness sometimes - if he sees a clear path he'll drive on with the ball.

It could be argued that POTY should be Joselu though. His absence on the pitch has paid massive dividends Big Grin

Nah, Perez for me. Even though he didn't really get going again until the winter (I found him frustrating at the beginning of the season) the way he hassles and prods and probes at defenders gives them less time on the ball. He's like a slightly more sane version of Craig Bellamy in that regard. The latter half of the season there were a few times when he pounced on a loose ball, or stole it from the toes of an opponent, and immediately looked for an attacking opportunity. When his confidence is high he can walk the ball into a better position. I think some of his linkup play has been among the best I've seen.
9th May 2019 07:21 PM
Shingles Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Rondon POTY

Rondon's a canny player, slightly better than average. I think because we have had utter shite up front for years that anyone who is better is getting over the top praise.
10th May 2019 10:10 PM
Figs Offline

Fan Favourite
Rondon POTY

I would like a striker who can hold up the ball and win headers like Rondon and got more pace? He would go well upfront with Perez if he stays and Almiron.. If we carn't sign Rondon we should scout out that type of player.?
11th May 2019 02:29 PM