time for Some answers

time for Some answers

WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
time for Some answers

Rafa Benítez is expected to meet the Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley today as the pair attempt to thrash out a compromise over the manager’s contract which is due to expire at the end of next month.

Benítez and the club’s hierarchy have been unable to agree an extension to the 59-year-old’s deal after 18 months of on-off talks, with the Spaniard seeking greater control of his transfer budget and how and when it is spent.

Fractured trust has been a feature of Benítez’s three years at St James’ Park, where he has led his team out of the Sky Bet Championship and then avoided relegation from the Premier League for two seasons. But he remains popular with supporters and is eager to stay.

Benítez and Ashley, the billionaire retailer, are due to meet in London for a round of talks which, it is hoped, will release the logjam. After two seasons of toil, Benítez wants to compete with teams in the upper-half of the table.

The team finished 13th after ending the season strongly, collecting ten points from their final five matches. Their only defeat in that time was the 3-2 defeat by Liverpool on May 4.

Newcastle remain up for sale, with Ashley adamant that he has no long-term future at the club, another complicating factor on top of the distrust which Benítez has often felt towards his employer.

The two men met briefly after last Sunday’s 4-0 victory at Fulham when Ashley congratulated Benítez and his players for their efforts this season, but all contract negotiations to date have been held with Lee Charnley, the club’s managing director.

“We have a meeting coming soon hopefully and then we will see where we are,” Benítez said after the game. “Someone will ask me the question, do I want to stay? It’s very easy. I can see the potential of this massive club and hopefully we can do things in a way that will be good for everyone to move forward, maybe together. At the moment, it’s keep talking and see what happens.”

RAFA: How much will i have to spend?

MIKE: However much you generate from player sales.

RAFA: Are we gonna prioritise cup competitions?

MIKE: No, because cup runs can lead to relegation.

RAFA: ok, Meeting over, find yourself another fucking mug, Goodbye.
16th May 2019 07:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
time for Some answers

interested to get everyone's views on this

Hypothetically - presuming that he can get the behind the scenes stuff that he is asking for (academy etc.) - what transfer budget would you be happy him signing a new contract for?

I'm just interested to know the figure that you would be happy with - not the figure you expect Ashley to come up with

100 mil a season plus player sales is my figure
16th May 2019 07:41 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
RE: time for Some answers

personally mac i think the two questions i put are the crux of the meeting, in other words if Benitez were two get positive assurances about those two things i reckon he will sign, and the other stuff you mention about the academy and so forth he would be happy to discuss further in the future.

In terms of transfer funds i'm guessing Benitez would be happy with a figure of £60m initially plus ALL the cash from player sales, he clearly really wants to stay and would just like Mike Ashley to meet him halfway and tell him the truth and lose all this cloak and dagger shit.
16th May 2019 07:56 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
time for Some answers

aye but what figure would YOU be happy for him to sign a new contract?
16th May 2019 08:47 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Having breakfast with Ashley and a few others apparently in the Connaught hotel in Chelsea.

Here we go...

(16th May 2019 07:41 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.interested to get everyone's views on this

Hypothetically - presuming that he can get the behind the scenes stuff that he is asking for (academy etc.) - what transfer budget would you be happy him signing a new contract for?

I'm just interested to know the figure that you would be happy with - not the figure you expect Ashley to come up with

60 plus player sales, that's minumum obviously, but Rafa could work with that i reckon.
(This post was last modified: 16th May 2019 09:45 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
16th May 2019 09:34 AM
omenator Offline

Owner
time for Some answers

The actual figure doesn't bother me at all tbh, if we see vast improvements on players in areas that Rafa and his team are happy with then that's fine.

I'm sure Rafa has players in mind he already wants to get and will present them to Ashley and Charnley this week, obviously they're not going to publicly state we have x amount to spend this window as that will just alert clubs to bump the asking price up.

Can't really judge this window and intentions until we see deals being done (or not done).

I'm sure Rafa and his team are savvy enough to insert a clause that will allow him to leave without penalties if certain conditions aren't met if he re-signs.
16th May 2019 10:20 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(16th May 2019 10:20 AM)omenator Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.The actual figure doesn't bother me at all tbh, if we see vast improvements on players in areas that Rafa and his team are happy with then that's fine.

I'm sure Rafa has players in mind he already wants to get and will present them to Ashley and Charnley this week, obviously they're not going to publicly state we have x amount to spend this window as that will just alert clubs to bump the asking price up.

Can't really judge this window and intentions until we see deals being done (or not done).

I'm sure Rafa and his team are savvy enough to insert a clause that will allow him to leave without penalties if certain conditions aren't met if he re-signs.

^^^
What he said.
16th May 2019 11:14 AM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

£60mil net spend should turn us into a decent prem team and progress a couple rounds in cups. I think this is the budget without increasing debt. Benitez should realise this and accept this and don't think it's unreasonable.
16th May 2019 03:45 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

[Image: giphy.gif]
16th May 2019 04:13 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

(16th May 2019 03:45 PM)t00nraider Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.£60mil net spend should turn us into a decent prem team and progress a couple rounds in cups. I think this is the budget without increasing debt. Benitez should realise this and accept this and don't think it's unreasonable.

[Image: when-i-overhear-people-talking-shit-abou...774637.gif]
16th May 2019 04:23 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

60m would be a reasonable with the money generated by sales could reach 80/90m. My problem is that he Ashley maybe quite happy with our finishing position last two seasons and maybe reluctant to cough up. With the investment mentioned we could maybe sit comfortably between 7-10th that will be as good as it gets. Top six will remain the same and other teams will invest as much if not more than us outside those top 6 clubs. Doesn’t always reap the rewards Fulham invested heavily this last season and look what happened to them. Spend the money wisely if the funds become available.
16th May 2019 04:55 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(16th May 2019 07:41 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.interested to get everyone's views on this

Aye anything less than that then he's a yes man. Is that what you're angling towards? I'm asking because you've been bitching for 3 years about Benitez and calling Pardew critics hypocrites based on what you perceive.

We became a 'plucky underdog' club the moment Sam fucking Allardyce was appointed manager. Ambition for footballing success would probably not have led to Keegan resigning in 1997. It was always financial. When Hippoheed took charge we had a team of highly paid veterans. We were doing a Blackburn rather than a Leeds though - losing league position but not quite in danger of relegation/administration.

I'm not convinced boycotts and that will persuade Ashley to sell the club. Who will he sell to? He's more likely to piss the fans off just for a laugh. We're stuck.
16th May 2019 09:02 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
time for Some answers

Aye that's exactly what I'm getting at

I'm trying to gauge the amount of hypocrisy within our fanbase

I'm trying to gauge just how much of Ashley's piss taking fans are prepared to put up with just so long as Benitez is in the dugout

I'm trying to gauge just how far the expectations of our fans have been managed

You seem to have a fuckin problem with that?
16th May 2019 10:31 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

I think yees 2 need to get a room you pair of herms.
17th May 2019 05:22 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

talks going into a second day, so lasted longer than i expected....i suppose one positive is at least Mike bothered to turn up. Rolleyes
17th May 2019 07:05 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(16th May 2019 10:31 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Aye that's exactly what I'm getting at

I'm trying to gauge just how much of Ashley's piss taking fans are prepared to put up with just so long as Benitez is in the dugout

It's only hypocrisy based on your point of view and your set of parameters that you have conveniently cherry picked because you love the Alan's cock.

Alan cock lover.
17th May 2019 07:35 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

crikey Confused
17th May 2019 07:40 AM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

We seem to have a slight difference of opinion on this one to say the least haha.
(This post was last modified: 17th May 2019 07:50 AM by Surreymag.)
17th May 2019 07:50 AM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

Ambition wouldn't have lead to Keegan leaving? Haddaway. Keegan left us high and dry when we were spunking £££££s the time before as well. Did we not have enough ambition for him then?

Would be great if Rafa stays but if he leaves it's understandable as we aren't back to where we should be yet. A half decent manager would do for me to keep the progress going.
17th May 2019 10:31 AM

Chairman

[Image: giphy.gif]
17th May 2019 12:07 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Big Grin
17th May 2019 01:10 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(17th May 2019 07:35 AM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(16th May 2019 10:31 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Aye that's exactly what I'm getting at

It's only hypocrisy based on your point of view and your set of parameters that you have conveniently cherry picked because you love the Alan's cock.

Alan cock lover.

Have I imagined Benitez getting the piss ripped out of him in every window bar the last or did that actually happen?

Have I imagined him giving early lists to Charnley in order for him to act quickly and then not getting one of the top names on said list or did that really happen as well?

Was I dreaming when Benitez then put his name to the most shameful bit of club propoganda I've seen in a long while or did that actually fuckin happen as well?

They are not a cherry picked set of parameters that I am judging Benitez with - they are exactly the same set of parameters the hypocritical fuckers judged Pardew with

4 years on we are absolutely no further forward while daft knackers like you will be happy that Benitez is given 60mil a year to avoid relegation every season

(This post was last modified: 17th May 2019 06:41 PM by McCreery.)
17th May 2019 04:15 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

Gan ern yi fucka.
17th May 2019 04:24 PM

Chairman

Mac, assuming Ashley is staying (a fair assumption I would suggest) as owner of NUFC, what would it take for you to be happy ?
17th May 2019 06:47 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
time for Some answers

For Newcastle United to be run for the benefit of Newcastle United

For all commercial revenue streams to be maximised and invested back into the club

That's it in a nutshell - I could happily support a Newcastle United that was giving its best shot whatever division it was in

But don't get me wrong, if Benitez somehow managed to win us a cup under the current restrictions, I would be as over the moon as anyone

I just want us to be the best we can be without millions being siphoned off into Sports Direct
17th May 2019 07:11 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

It's not going to be £60 mil per year as we don't know the profit. It's £60mil this summer due to last season's performance. Ie the better we do, the more money available there is. Simples.
17th May 2019 07:45 PM

Chairman

(17th May 2019 07:11 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.For Newcastle United to be run for the benefit of Newcastle United

For all commercial revenue streams to be maximised and invested back into the club

I think it's a fair request that NUFC be run for the benefit of NUFC. I'm with you on that. It's subjective of course but the sentiment is sound.

If a condition of you being happy is that all commercial revenue streams be maximised and then reinvested back into the club, I think you're on to a loser there mate. There's no club in the world that will reinvest its entire revenues back into the business.

(17th May 2019 07:11 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.That's it in a nutshell - I could happily support a Newcastle United that was giving its best shot whatever division it was in

That is again a really subjective term. 'Best shot' is defined for me a sustainable investment, balancing out monies into the playing squad, the training facilities, keeping sponsors happy, keeping players happy, selling players at the right time & price, buying potential, keeping the bottom line in check. I'm positive that your (and everyone else's) 'best shot' will differ from mine. Close but different.

Which , for me, means that I'd be fairly happy with Rafa staying, being given autonomy over transfers, and a sizeable transfer kitty to get his chosen players in. (If you insist on a figure, if Rafa's net spend was £60m this summer, I'd be happy). Maybe others wouldn't be happy with that. That's up to them.

I'm not a mug, a sheep, an Ashley fan or any of the other things being slung around the message boards recently. I'm not happy at the minute but I will be for far less than most.
17th May 2019 08:40 PM