Ritchie confirms contract talks

omenator Offline

Owner

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Matt Ritchie has confirmed he’s in talks with Newcastle United over a new contract and is desperate to stay at St James’ Park.

Ritchie’s future was a talking point earlier this year when reports claimed Rafa Benitez had told him he was free to leave the club – although the Newcastle boss strongly refuted those claims. Last week he was linked with Stoke City, who wanted to sign him in the previous summer.

But he has had a superb season at St James’ Park in a left wing-back role and most fans would be delighted to see him re-sign in the close season.

Speaking after the final game of the season at Fulham, Ritchie confirmed that he is keen to stay and that he is locked in talks with the club’s hierarchy. Asked directly whether he wanted to stay he said: “Of course”.

And on the talks with the club, he said: “There are discussions at the moment, hopefully we can get them resolved.

“This is a massive football club, I’m really enjoying playing for so until I’m told my services are no longer required, I’m fighting for my life as I do every week to perform. Who knows what the future holds but until I’m told my services are no longer required, I’ll do everything for the football club.”

Ritchie has come to represent Newcastle under Benitez: a player who works tremendously hard but also has the talent to affect games.

And the way he has adapted to an unfamiliar left wing-back role has been impressive as he has carved out a new place in the United XI.

Asked whether it is his best season in black and white he said: “I don’t know about that. Don’t get me wrong I’ve been very pleased with the way I’ve adapted to the new regime.

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a lot but you can’t say it is my best season. The Championship was a different season, we were expected to win. I’ve been pleased with all three seasons. There is always room for improvement and I want to strive for more and improve in areas of my game. I still want more.”

Ritchie’s contract expires in 2021.
16th May 2019 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team
RE: Ritchie confirms contract talks

I hope he stays.
16th May 2019 04:57 PM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

If he leaves, Miggy can get rid of the earplugs.
16th May 2019 06:34 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(16th May 2019 06:34 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.If he leaves, Miggy can get rid of the earplugs.

Haha I've seen him get pissed off when someone can't reach a pass he's played down the line at the speed of light. He's pretty good at curving long passes on the left, I have to admit.
16th May 2019 09:17 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Ritchie has his faults, but he is very consistent in terms of hard graft and passion for the shirt and that's all we ask for really.
17th May 2019 07:36 AM
Figs Offline

Fan Favourite

But he is 30+
19th May 2019 07:39 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

(17th May 2019 07:36 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Ritchie has his faults, but he is very consistent in terms of hard graft and passion for the shirt and that's all we ask for really.

Hard graft and passion mean nowt if there is no end product ie Joselu. I'd rather have a lazy player who produces a moment of magic to win a game.

Ritchie is a good player though and has been one of our best players this season.
19th May 2019 09:14 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Agreed like, we shouldn't be praising players for working hard and showing passion, it should be a given.
Yesterday 12:11 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(19th May 2019 09:14 PM)t00nraider Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(17th May 2019 07:36 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Ritchie has his faults, but he is very consistent in terms of hard graft and passion for the shirt and that's all we ask for really.

Hard graft and passion mean nowt if there is no end product ie Joselu. I'd rather have a lazy player who produces a moment of magic to win a game.

Ritchie is a good player though and has been one of our best players this season.

aye, let's have a team full of lazy players.
Yesterday 06:27 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(Yesterday 12:11 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Agreed like, we shouldn't be praising players for working hard and showing passion, it should be a given.

Yes but it's not 'a given' is it you silly Billy... When have we had a team full of consistently hard working and passionate players? Or ten Alan shearers if you like,.. Players like Ritchie who give everything in EVERY game are worth their weight in gold these days.
Yesterday 07:48 PM

Chairman

(Yesterday 12:11 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Agreed like, we shouldn't be praising players for working hard and showing passion, it should be a given.

Don't agree with this at all. If someone does their job well, they should be commended for it.
Yesterday 10:44 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(Yesterday 10:44 PM)Tight_Ass_Bramble Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Don't agree with this at all. If someone does their job well, they should be commended for it.

They are pro footballers because they are more skillfull than the average person, not because of work rate and passion.
Today 12:49 AM

Chairman

They are, yes. I don’t understand why you said that as it has no bearing with the previous point.

You said ‘we shouldn’t be praising players for working hard and showing passion’.

I think we should.
Today 07:11 AM