Mourinho ready for talks?

omenator Offline

Owner

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Jose Mourinho is ready to talk to Newcastle’s potential new owner if multi-billionaire Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan comes calling.

Advisors representing the Sheikh insists his £350million offer for the Premier League club is genuine, although their current owner Mike Ashley has yet to see any proof of the takeover funds.

As we exclusively revealed last weekend, Sheikh Khaled has his own managerial targets with Rafa Benitez’s Tyneside future still shrouded in doubt. One of them is former Chelsea, Manchester United and Real Madrid boss Mourinho , who is aware of the interest and has told friends the Newcastle job is one that he would consider seriously.

He has always had a soft spot for the Geordies, since working with his mentor and Newcastle icon Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona in the 1990s.

Robson would often regale an attentive Mourinho with stories of St. James’ Park and later went on to manage his hometown club.

Mourinho said last summer: “I like to go there. I like the feeling of going to Mr Robson’s home. I like that feeling. I like the stadium. I like the atmosphere. They are a good, enthusiastic crowd. I like the Geordies.”

He insists he would be open to the challenge of managing a club that wasn’t among the elite but had the potential to eventually compete for trophies. The Portuguese believes Newcastle fit into that category.

Remarkably, Mourinho has never won a league game at St James' Park in seven tries with Chelsea and Man United, losing four times and drawing the other three.

A Champions League winner as Porto and Inter Milan boss, Mourinho has won the title in Portugal (twice), England (three times), Italy (twice) and Spain, domestic cups in all four nations, the old UEFA Cup and the Europa League.

He has been out of work since being sacked by Man United in December during his third season in charge.

Newcastle fan-favourite Benitez is out of contract this summer after keeping the Magpies safe from relegation for a second season running.
9th June 2019 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

Mourinho would jump at the chance I reckon. SBR and all that.
9th June 2019 11:28 AM
tino Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Mourinho ready for talks?

I'd rather we stick with Benitez
9th June 2019 11:56 AM

Chairman

Why ?
9th June 2019 01:51 PM
huntface Online

First Team Starter

I’d rather stick with Rafa. He’s looking at building the club from the ground up.

Not some egotistical tosser who’ll waltz in spend a ton of money then get sacked midway through his third season
(This post was last modified: 9th June 2019 02:09 PM by huntface.)
9th June 2019 02:08 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

Rafa's started to get things working

Maureen will break it all fall out with key players and cosy us a fortune to get rid
9th June 2019 02:11 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

How times have changed when we are saying we wouldn't want to have Mourinho here. Myself, I would still prefer to have Benitez at the helm, he has galvanised the city and should a takeover happen, i think he's earned the chance to spend a bit of cash and try to do what he's been saying he could do for the past few seasons, have us challenging up the top end of the table and hopefully win us one of the cups.
9th June 2019 03:07 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Rafa under new owners is the ideal scenario, for me anyway. If they come in and get rid of Rafa it would be a huge own goal straight away and alienate alot of fans, however if that's what has to happen to get shot of Ashley then so be it, but there really is no need for new owner to change the manager.
(This post was last modified: 9th June 2019 04:15 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
9th June 2019 04:15 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

Yes there is, he's too negative, the new owners may demand total flowing attacking football, in which case raf's out on his fat arse.
9th June 2019 04:24 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Sure.
9th June 2019 05:25 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

(9th June 2019 04:24 PM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Yes there is, he's too negative, the new owners may demand total flowing attacking football, in which case raf's out on his fat arse.

I'm presuming you don't think Mourinho would be the new manager as he parks more busses than Rafa.

Rafa's shown he can play attacking football (when Almiron was playing). I'm sure with an Arab and a few rubles, he could play even more attacking football.
9th June 2019 06:22 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

He's not the 'special one' anymore, ever since he blasted that physio woman for running on the pitch to give hazard treatment for an injury, he's now the 'infantile one'
9th June 2019 06:33 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Dirhams surely.
10th June 2019 08:41 AM

Chairman

Got to hand it to Mourinho though, he's a consistent winner.

Pretty much exactly what we need.
10th June 2019 09:26 AM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

He's a winner at getting a tidy payoff for getting the boot. He got lucky with quality teams.
10th June 2019 10:26 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(10th June 2019 10:26 AM)t00nraider Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.He's a winner at getting a tidy payoff for getting the boot. He got lucky with quality teams.

Winning the champs league with porto, and to a lesser extent Inter, righto.
10th June 2019 11:16 AM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

(10th June 2019 11:16 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(10th June 2019 10:26 AM)t00nraider Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.He's a winner at getting a tidy payoff for getting the boot. He got lucky with quality teams.

Winning the champs league with porto, and to a lesser extent Inter, righto.
Deffo righto.
10th June 2019 12:34 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Aye, pure luck.
10th June 2019 02:47 PM

Chairman

With Porto he won:
  • 2 League titles
  • 1 Cup
  • 1 Supercup
  • Champions League
  • Uefa Cup

With Chelsea
  • 3 Premier Leagues
  • FA cup
  • 3 League Cups
  • Charity Shield

With Inter
  • 2 Serie A
  • 1 Coppa Italia
  • 1 Supercup
  • Champions League

With Real Madrid
  • 1 La Liga
  • 1 Copa del Rey
  • 1 Supercup

With Manu
  • 1 League Cup
  • 1 Charity Shield
  • Europa League

On his own
  • Onze d'or Coach of the Year
  • FIFA World Coach of the Year
  • 4 x IFFHS World best club coach
  • 3 x Premire League Manager of the year
and plenty more....

and some of you lot don't want him ?
10th June 2019 03:25 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

If Benitez left of his own accord I would take Mourinho without doubt, but I would prefer to have Benitez take us forward, I think he cares about the bigger picture, the area as a whole, the relationship with fans, the academy and the future of the club should he be here for it or not, whereas I think with Mourinho, it's all about him, he loves the limelight, and is very stroppy,
arrogant and I think he's not a very good man manager and he didn't go down well at Man utd and the team blatantly stopped playing for him as they have subsequently done with Solskjaer.
(This post was last modified: 10th June 2019 04:09 PM by Dean20m.)
10th June 2019 04:08 PM
huntface Online

First Team Starter

I don't think Mourinho's ability is in question and the trophies speak for that.

However the issue is with his personality and record at building clubs. I can't see he's ever done that. He can take on good teams and push them over the top (Chelsea, Inter and Porto) but really build his own team? Manchester United was the first time he really needed to completely rebuild and failed miserably.

And when he is successful its short lived and eventually he falls out with all his players, fans and club's hierarchy.

I'd rafa give Benitez a shot at building something from the ground up.
10th June 2019 04:23 PM

Chairman

(10th June 2019 04:08 PM)Dean20m Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links....he didn't go down well at Man utd and the team blatantly stopped playing for him as they have subsequently done with Solskjaer.

Doesn't that say more about the players than Mourinho though ?

(10th June 2019 04:23 PM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I don't think Mourinho's ability is in question and the trophies speak for that.

However the issue is with his personality and record at building clubs. I can't see he's ever done that. He can take on good teams and push them over the top (Chelsea, Inter and Porto) but really build his own team? Manchester United was the first time he really needed to completely rebuild and failed miserably.

And when he is successful its short lived and eventually he falls out with all his players, fans and club's hierarchy.

I'd rafa give Benitez a shot at building something from the ground up.

I can't argue with that but I would say now that I'll happily take any of that shit AFTER we win a cup...
10th June 2019 04:45 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

No, i think a poor man manager will have players down tools whichever team it was for. It happened at Chelsea and Man Utd, I'm not sure about anywhere else as I don't follow european football so much.
10th June 2019 05:35 PM

Chairman

I think you have a point but Solskjaer’s treatment at the hands of his players speaks volumes that it was a petty players revolt rather than poor man management on Jose’s part.

I don’t think ( and I may be proven wrong in the long term) that I would give a shiny shit about his man management skills if we won a cup.
10th June 2019 05:52 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

It goes without saying about winning silverware, i think Joe Kinnear would be thought of differently if he won us a cup too.
(This post was last modified: 10th June 2019 06:06 PM by Dean20m.)
10th June 2019 06:05 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(10th June 2019 04:23 PM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I'd rafa give Benitez a shot at building something from the ground up.

I saw what you did Big Grin
10th June 2019 06:27 PM
huntface Online

First Team Starter

(10th June 2019 06:27 PM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(10th June 2019 04:23 PM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I'd rafa give Benitez a shot at building something from the ground up.

I saw what you did Big Grin

Thanks!

Lip no I wouldn’t of course I’d be over the moon, but if it was a case of ditching Rafa for him then I’d rather stick with the waiter.
10th June 2019 07:53 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

(9th June 2019 05:25 PM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Sure.

probably the first time you ever agreed with me.....hopefully a sign that you're starting to grow up.
10th June 2019 10:05 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

I just grow at the same rate as everyone else really.
10th June 2019 10:07 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

not mentally though, you're still miles behind the rest of us
10th June 2019 10:10 PM