RAFA spills the beans

RAFA spills the beans

WilloTheWimp Online

First Team Benchwarmer
RAFA spills the beans

"People in Newcastle have been talking about my decision to move to China without knowing what happened behind the scenes during my three years at St James’ Park.

I haven’t wanted to say too much about that — I’ve encouraged supporters to get behind Steve Bruce and his new team — but I’ve been made aware of what Lee Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director, claimed in the club’s match programme last weekend and I think it’s important I address that.

I tried to do my best every day, even staying when we went down to the Championship and saying no to other offers — bigger offers than the one I recently accepted with Dalian Yifang, by the way. If I was only interested in moving “for money”, as Charnley stated, I could have done it much earlier.

Over my long career, and especially in my time at Newcastle, I’ve always shown commitment to my club, its city and its community and I’ve done it with professionalism and honesty.

Newcastle’s board had a year to sort out my contract but, when we met after the end of last season, they didn’t make me an offer I could accept. They told me they didn’t want to invest in the academy or the training ground — if they like, I can explain the reason why Mike Ashley refused to do that. Their idea of a project was a policy of signing players under 24 and, in my opinion, the budget available was not enough to compete for the top 10.

After that meeting, I knew they would not come back with a serious offer and, when it arrived, 19 days later, it was for the same salary as three years earlier and with less control over signings. Charnley’s comments in the programme about having a deal agreed for Joelinton in February explains a lot that I couldn’t understand at that time.

After three years of unfulfilled promises, I didn’t trust them.

When we finished 10th in the Premier League in our first season back, all players and staff were paid a bonus — aside from my coaching team. That felt like a punishment for me not signing an extension.

So, by the end, I knew there would not be a proper offer and they knew I was not signing.

I couldn’t explain that in public because I was not allowed to talk to the press without their permission, so I was waiting until late June, like every fan, hoping there would be good news about Newcastle’s prospective takeover."
13th August 2019 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
huntface Offline

First Team Starter
RAFA spills the beans

What did Penfold say in his notes?
13th August 2019 07:33 AM
WilloTheWimp Online

First Team Benchwarmer
RE: RAFA spills the beans

he said that rafa left for the money
13th August 2019 07:36 AM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter
RAFA spills the beans

I've read the article on the mail. Someone commented "Huawei the lads"
13th August 2019 07:56 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

It was obvious that Mike & Penfold would use Rafa's decision to go to China against him, claiming that Rafa didn't sign an extension because he wanted to cash in.

I think most of us know that he cashed in because he wasn't offered an acceptable extension.
13th August 2019 10:54 AM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular
RAFA spills the beans

Rafa calling Penfold a lying little cunt...
13th August 2019 11:51 AM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

fancy that
13th August 2019 12:12 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Our club is run by scumbags but we all knew that anyway what Rafa has said there just confirms this.
13th August 2019 12:18 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular
RAFA spills the beans

To be fair, Keegan said it, 12 years ago..
13th August 2019 01:16 PM
WilloTheWimp Online

First Team Benchwarmer

(13th August 2019 07:56 AM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I've read the article on the mail. Someone commented "Huawei the lads"

facking genius Smile
13th August 2019 05:42 PM