Longstaff - time for forget about Rafa

omenator Offline

Owner

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Sean Longstaff has urged Newcastle United's supporters to forget about former manager Rafa Benitez and get behind the team.

The Spaniard left St. James' Park this summer, having failed to agree a contract extension while also stating the inability to find a shared vision with the club's hierarchy.

Benitez's departure sparked fan protests over the running of the club by owner Mike Ashley with the side currently winless under new manager Steve Bruce.

And speaking exclusively to Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday, Longstaff admits it has been a 'tough' summer but believes the only way forward is to focus on the future, not the past.

"I was speaking to Rafa (Benitez) throughout the summer, and ultimately I think everyone wanted him to stay," Longstaff said. "But that's football. Things change, and ultimately he didn't want to stay.

"It's in the past now and I think everybody, as harsh as it sounds, has to sort of forget about him, as tough as that can be.

"We've spent a lot of the start of the season talking about Rafa, and he's not here. Ultimately he doesn't have an impact on the team or football club at this time.

"If the team start picking up results, everything will look more positive and people will forget about the previous manager, as long as we're successful on the pitch."

A 1-0 home defeat to Arsenal on the opening day of the season followed by a 3-1 defeat to Premier League new boys Norwich means Newcastle travel to Tottenham on Sunday, live on Sky Sports, already in the bottom three.

It prompted Bruce to call the entire squad into training last Sunday after the Carrow Road defeat, with Longstaff admitting although no one is panicking, the additional session was needed to clear the air.

"We had an honest chat, we've got an honest group, with a lot of leaders and it came from us really," Longstaff said.

"We know as a group we need to be better, and hopefully it's behind us now, and everyone is looking to be as positive as we can.

"We're not panicking and everyone is working as hard as they can to make each other better."

Longstaff, born and bred in Newcastle, knows more than most what the football club means to supporters and was quick to praise them and stress how important they will be in helping the side overturn their poor start.

"We know it's not been an ideal start, but I think the whole city needs to get behind the team," he said.

"We know how important they are to the club, and especially in home games, they can make a difference. They help us so much.

"They're also the best away fans in the country, hands down. It doesn't matter where we go: Bournemouth, Norwich, everywhere is miles from Newcastle and the away end is always packed.

"Even when we're losing, they're louder than the home fans. It gives us belief as players that they are there.

"It means everything to me. It's the only football club I've known.

"Being from this area, you are in the bubble. The atmosphere, what it can be like, is up there with the best in the world."
24th August 2019 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter
RE: Longstaff - time for forget about Rafa

he did want to stay...........but not merely to try and avoid relegation every season, what kind of existence is that? fucking boring!
24th August 2019 11:40 AM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

Another interesting take from a different player. I understand what he is saying but somehow they need as a group of players to address the problems on the pitch which are clear to see. It’s not the players people are pissed of with it’s the regime surely he knows that.
24th August 2019 12:38 PM
franzeseNufc Offline

First Team Starter

Never forget.

[Image: 2_GettyImages-1134806385.jpg]

*wipes tear*
24th August 2019 01:08 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

(24th August 2019 12:38 PM)Surreymag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Another interesting take from a different player. I understand what he is saying but somehow they need as a group of players to address the problems on the pitch which are clear to see. It’s not the players people are pissed of with it’s the regime surely he knows that.

Umm, that's the managers job.
24th August 2019 01:27 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

Also he's wrong. Rafa did want to stay, the club didn't want him
24th August 2019 01:43 PM
t00nraider Offline

Youth Team

So he's saying fans not getting behind the team are costing us points. Quite right. They are a disgrace.
24th August 2019 03:07 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

FFS you really are delusional

The fans pay big money to see an average team play sub par football

They have a right to voice their frustration when they show no heart for our club
24th August 2019 04:26 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Tino, he is a WUM.
24th August 2019 05:25 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

Fuck off Bruce you fat, useless, ugly wallop.

When Ashley stops their bonus they'll stop toeing the party line, the mercenary Cunts. Fuckin hell, they're a bunch of useless fuckers anyhoo.
(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 05:55 PM by liam1708.)
24th August 2019 05:53 PM
Surreymag Offline

Youth Team

(24th August 2019 01:27 PM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(24th August 2019 12:38 PM)Surreymag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Another interesting take from a different player. I understand what he is saying but somehow they need as a group of players to address the problems on the pitch which are clear to see. It’s not the players people are pissed of with it’s the regime surely he knows that.

Umm, that's the managers job.
Indeed and the players also need to take responsibility aswell I think we all know it’s going to be a big ask this season but hey ho it’s not the end of the world as we know it.
24th August 2019 07:37 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

It's up to the manager to tell the players what their responsibilities are, doesn't look like that is happening.
24th August 2019 08:35 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

(24th August 2019 08:35 PM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.It's up to the manager to tell the players what their responsibilities are, doesn't look like that is happening.

Thursday I think it was I heard Bruce on about this club it's always in turmoil.....win we are happy as fuck..lose we are in protest....those wern't his words but along those lines..ie he's giving himself and excuse and the players to have an excuse...which never happened under rafa....hope mac is happy...
obviously my argument is null and void because in the great scheme of things we need to get hammered every game to get rid of the fcb
(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 09:44 PM by carters.)
24th August 2019 09:44 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Macs always happy

Especially when grown blokes were creaming their shreddies over a manager that was getting the piss ripped out of him

I never could quite understand that one like

(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 09:55 PM by McCreery.)
24th August 2019 09:51 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

(24th August 2019 09:51 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Macs always happy

Especially when grown blokes were creaming their shreddies over a manager that was getting the piss ripped out of him

Could be worse mate....we could be TA who creams his pants every time newcastle get beat..
24th August 2019 10:03 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(24th August 2019 10:03 PM)carters Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(24th August 2019 09:51 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Macs always happy

Could be worse mate....we could be TA who creams his pants every time newcastle get beat..

Bigger picture innit
24th August 2019 10:09 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

It's not Newcastle, you not noticed yet?

Ermm..meant to quote craters.
(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 10:20 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
24th August 2019 10:19 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

craters'..that's an old one....only having a laugh mate...we are all after the same thing and at least we all give a fuck.....alma matters..
24th August 2019 10:33 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Seemed more like a sly dig but whatever..

I think it's the only way, we need to tumble down the leagues to have a chance of getting rid of him.

I need to stop saying "we", i mean "they"

It's fucking killing me inside what's going on though, it's a fucking crime.

It might even take the mackems being better than us for some of our dafties to walk away.
(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 10:45 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
24th August 2019 10:43 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

It wasn't a sly dig TA.....it was a bit of banter that's all....your angryman tipping point is obviously now just like macs...mine was the name change when when I came over as a bit of a twat.........i was right though because you were all into lambias's five year plan.
(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 11:12 PM by carters.)
24th August 2019 11:00 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

It's not about trying to score points on a message board it's about trying to get our club back.

And yes i am a very angry man with what's going on.
(This post was last modified: 24th August 2019 11:55 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
24th August 2019 11:55 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

[quote='ToonArmy1892' pid='640351' dateline='1566690917']
It's not about trying to score points on a message board it's about trying to get our club back.

And yes i am a very angry man ....
(This post was last modified: 25th August 2019 11:04 AM by carters.)
25th August 2019 12:14 AM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

Word...
25th August 2019 06:08 AM