Thread Closed 
Assuming we are promoted
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
Assuming we are promoted

Which I think we will be, who should we realistically buy?

We were discussing it on way back last night and couldn't think of too many players.

I think we need;

A right back
Two central midfielders
Quick nippy goalscorer to play alongside hotheed

Those are our priorities.

Being extra picky we could do with a right sided midfielder, cover at left back and cover at left midfield.

I would take a chance on Beckford - he will cost nothing, has pace and could be the ideal man to get on the end of Carroll's flick ons.

Nolan on the other hand.......carthorse is not going to be good enough for Premier.
24th March 2010 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Priority we need

Quick goalscorer
Clever central midfielder
Right back

I think the rest of the defence and the midfield would at least suffice to keep us up and keep the battling mentality in the squad.

After that we need cover at left back, which we have needed how many years now??? Also cover on both wings.

As far as names go, I havent a clue. Beckford would be the obvious choice, assuming he hasnt already agreed to join someone else. But would you be confident going into the PL with basically no forwards with experience at that level???

As for players to cut loose:

Ameobi
Best
Butt
Pancake

I would probably keep the rest until we sign enough players to justify letting say Ryan Taylor or Nolan go.
24th March 2010 09:08 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Assuming we are promoted

Why do people constantly refer to Beckford? He'd be no better than Leon Best I'll bet, hence why the pudding is pushing 30 and still playing in

[SIZE="7"]DIVISION 3!!![/SIZE]
24th March 2010 09:20 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

He is mentioned because he is just 26, very quick, scored a bag full of goals for the last 2 or 3 years, we have been linked all season and he is FREE!!!!!

We wont be going out and signing 5 players for £10mil each or whatever, which means we will have to take a punt or 2 in the summer.
24th March 2010 09:23 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Assuming we are promoted

But these are the same people who slate Shola and Best. Are people blind? Do people really think Beckford is better than these two? Is he shite.

I know a number of Leeds fans who think he is punching above his weight where he is at times. He wouldn't get anywhere near my starting XI, barely the squad. I'd sooner have Best who seems to have something about him and has scored goals at a higher level.
24th March 2010 09:25 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

The trouble with the majority of this squad is that they are expected to do a jack of all trades job. Some of them fall short even playing in the own positions, so are considerably worse whilst playing out of position.

Centre backs routinely play at left/right back.
Left/right backs routinely play Centreback/midfield/left or right wing.
Midfielders are expected to cover anywhere.

I dont even thing the forwards are guaranteed to start up front.

What we need is settled players playing in their own positions with half decent cover for injuries, that can occaisionly play out of position.

Rebuilding over this summer is gonna be really hard with everybody concentrating on the world cup, hopefully players have been sourced and the £25m needed for investment is forthcoming and we can move forward instead of looking back on a horrendous 2 years.

2 forwards are a must.
2 midfielders are a must.
1 left back is a must.
1 right back is a must.
(and that is without selling any players)

We need players that want to play for us. Young and ambitious will do me fine. Young & over the hill, coming here for one more payday bastards can fuck off.

Time to back your plan of youth investment for the future Ashley.
24th March 2010 09:35 AM
tino Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

what have we got coming through the ranks?

doe anyone watch the reserves or youth team?
24th March 2010 11:06 AM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Assuming we are promoted

From the ranks, to fill the places mentioned, we have Vukcic as a creative midfielder, Ranger as the nippy striker, Airey as an attacking midfielder-cum-striker typey thing like most of us were when we were that age and absolutely nothing worth mentioning in the defence, as usual.

EDIT: Forgot lualua, who has the potential to be very like his brother.
24th March 2010 11:17 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

tino Wrote:what have we got coming through the ranks?

doe anyone watch the reserves or youth team?

Well Kadar looks pretty decent, Ranger is still an unkown quantity and we keep hearing good things about Vukic.

I think once we are confirmed as promoted, these 3 in particular need to be given as much pitch time as we can give them, otherwise whats the point in having them????
24th March 2010 11:17 AM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
Assuming we are promoted

The reason people mention Beckford is he is a REALISTIC target.

Leon Best is shit and will always be shit - poor mobility, doesn't look like a natural goalscorer and when you say scored at a higher level - has he scored at Old Trafford or WHL like??

I'd wager Beckford would score many more than Best in the top flight and would rather gamble on a free transfer than giving a 3 year contract to the likes of Best.

Let's face it Hughton has already realised Best is shit and he signed him.

He was only ever signed as cover, because at the time Shola was injured and our other strikers weren't exactly banging them in - since he signed Carroll and Lovekrands have found their shooting boots.

I think we need a pacy striker to partner Carroll and would take a chance with Beckford.

Worst case scenario is we would make a profit on selling him back down a division.

We aren't going to be spending much more than £10 million in total, so therefore we need to shop wisely in the summer.
24th March 2010 11:19 AM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

LeazesLoyal Wrote:I think we need a pacy striker to partner Carroll and would take a chance with Beckford.

Lovenkrands???

Didn't do too badly in the PL last time.

He doesn't quite fill the magic criteria of "scoring at Old Trafford" but he did score past Man United. Rolleyes
24th March 2010 11:25 AM
Pointer Offline

Youth Team
Assuming we are promoted

Realistic post there, I'd reckon our investment will be whatever we recoup on player plus about 5 million.
Wierd season when we're top all season going for promotion and look dead certs but with the prospect of another Ashley ispired farce on the horizon taking the edge off it.
24th March 2010 11:26 AM
omenator

Unregistered

Assuming we are promoted

Didn't have the best of games last night, but still say that Billy Sharp is worth a punt, reckon he would rather come to a club going up to the prem than stay at Sheff Utd or go back to donny rovers or whoever they send him out to next season
24th March 2010 11:56 AM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

There's nobody we will sign that will get us 20 goals a season, so a pairing of Carroll and Lovenkrands shouldn't really be that bad, there's not really many players available to us that would be much better than that.

To be honest, even in comparison with some current PL teams, it's quite a good pairing.

I think another striker would be nice though, and we should target somebody like Santa Cruz, Bellamy - of course they won't come cheap but surely City have more than enough strikers already and will be looking to sign the likes of David Villa and other big names in the summer, so some of these may become available?
24th March 2010 12:11 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

richyNUFC Wrote:I think another striker would be nice though, and we should target somebody like Santa Cruz, Bellamy - of course they won't come cheap but surely City have more than enough strikers already and will be looking to sign the likes of David Villa and other big names in the summer, so some of these may become available?

We should be in touch with City about their cast offs like, they loaded up on middle tier players and now then need to step up. Should be like a decent used car auction down there!!
24th March 2010 12:14 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Sal Wrote:We should be in touch with City about their cast offs like, they loaded up on middle tier players and now then need to step up. Should be like a decent used car auction down there!!

Get the worky ticket back.Big Grin
24th March 2010 12:16 PM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Exactly, there's bound to be the folk who say "not good enough for City, then not good enough for us" but that's bollocks.

A lot of players are wasted at City and should be getting regular first team football.
24th March 2010 12:16 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Carroll has proved me wrong this season but I really don't think he's going to be effective in the PL.....to put it in perspective I reckon Shola would have been on 15 - 16 goals this season if he hadn't been injured and we all know what impact he has in the PL

I think we'll go shopping abroad for some new unknown 'starlet'
24th March 2010 12:17 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Carroll wont set the PL alight, but I think he will be useful.

Unlike Shola, he can actually fight his corner, and he is a genuine asset in the air, both at the back and up front.

I remember he came on against Chelsea either last season, or the season before and gave Terry a right tough 20 mins or so. You can imagine he is a pain in the arse to mark.
24th March 2010 12:29 PM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

McCreery Wrote:Carroll has proved me wrong this season but I really don't think he's going to be effective in the PL.....to put it in perspective I reckon Shola would have been on 15 - 16 goals this season if he hadn't been injured and we all know what impact he has in the PL

I think we'll go shopping abroad for some new unknown 'starlet'

Just bring Xisco back... Smile

I know what you're saying about Carroll, but he's more of a handful than Shola for defenders, and he proved that with his header against Stoke last season - and they're one of the best teams in the PL when it comes to physical and aerial battles.

Next season, with more experience and confidence, he could do a job.
24th March 2010 12:30 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

sort of Agree Sal but PL defenders and managers will be a lot more savvy to him next season

I really don't think he is that gifted to improve his game to suit....I just think he won't get anywhere near as much time on the ball as he has this season

he's always going to be a threat in the air because of his size but I reckon he's only a 5 or 6 goals a season man in the PL
24th March 2010 12:33 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Assuming we are promoted

LeazesLoyal Wrote:The reason people mention Beckford is he is a REALISTIC target.

Leon Best is shit and will always be shit - poor mobility, doesn't look like a natural goalscorer and when you say scored at a higher level - has he scored at Old Trafford or WHL like??

I'd wager Beckford would score many more than Best in the top flight and would rather gamble on a free transfer than giving a 3 year contract to the likes of Best.

Let's face it Hughton has already realised Best is shit and he signed him.

He was only ever signed as cover, because at the time Shola was injured and our other strikers weren't exactly banging them in - since he signed Carroll and Lovekrands have found their shooting boots.

I think we need a pacy striker to partner Carroll and would take a chance with Beckford.

Worst case scenario is we would make a profit on selling him back down a division.

We aren't going to be spending much more than £10 million in total, so therefore we need to shop wisely in the summer.

You seem to be basing Beckford on two games. What about the lad from Forest Green Rovers who knocked Boro out the FA Cup, shall we give him a punt because he scored against a Prem Club? Or maybe we should sign the Burton Albion centre back because he took Man Utd to a replay in the FA Cup.

People seem to be blinded by his little streak in the FA Cup. Otherwise, he has done nothing and will be a waste of wages when we already have about 6 better strikers than him.
24th March 2010 12:33 PM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

The Steve Wrote:You seem to be basing Beckford on two games. What about the lad from Forest Green Rovers who knocked Boro out the FA Cup, shall we give him a punt because he scored against a Prem Club? Or maybe we should sign the Burton Albion centre back because he took Man Utd to a replay in the FA Cup.

People seem to be blinded by his little streak in the FA Cup. Otherwise, he has done nothing and will be a waste of wages when we already have about 6 better strikers than him.

Exactly.

If scoring against Man United is such a good attribute, then we already have that with Lovenkrands anyway - and he's scoring regularly in a higher league than Beckford.
24th March 2010 12:35 PM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

McCreery Wrote:sort of Agree Sal but PL defenders and managers will be a lot more savvy to him next season

I really don't think he is that gifted to improve his game to suit....I just think he won't get anywhere near as much time on the ball as he has this season

he's always going to be a threat in the air because of his size but I reckon he's only a 5 or 6 goals a season man in the PL

He'll definitely not be as good as he's been this season, and at times his first touch is shocking and that could be costly in the PL when we'd really need our target man to hold up the ball and give us a bit of possession.

But I think he'll be a handful still, no matter how much managers warn their players about him, he's still going to be just as strong and hard to play against.

Don't think he'd get too many goals either, but look at Birmingham, top half of the table and their top scorer only has 9 goals, closest to him is a midfielder with 5, so Carroll could still play a part even if he's not banging the goals in.
24th March 2010 12:39 PM
McCreery Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Agreed....I suppose I'm being a bit hypocritical

If I think Hughton deserves a chance next season because of what he's done I can't really say the opposite of Carroll
24th March 2010 12:41 PM
richyNUFC Online

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

McCreery Wrote:Agreed....I suppose I'm being a bit hypocritical

If I think Hughton deserves a chance next season because of what he's done I can't really say the opposite of Carroll

Aye, agree with Hughton being given a chance aswell. Maybe this season is bringing a bit of false optimism but I'm quite confident about staying up next year.
24th March 2010 12:48 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Sal Wrote:Carroll wont set the PL alight, but I think he will be useful.

Unlike Shola, he can actually fight his corner, and he is a genuine asset in the air, both at the back and up front.

I remember he came on against Chelsea either last season, or the season before and gave Terry a right tough 20 mins or so. You can imagine he is a pain in the arse to mark.

And he doesnt give daft pens & freekicks away
24th March 2010 01:02 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

Carroll is fortunate in that we are where we are at the moment.

He has had the chance to get a full season in the first team under his belt at a lower level and he has excelled (certainly for the last 6 months anyway).

Again, we arent in a position to throw money around willy nilly, so he will definately be given a good run out next season too. I guess we will know by this time next year whether he is worth holding on to.

Had we stayed up, he would not have got many games, and perhaps wouldnt have improved at all, whereas he already looks far more capable now than he did in September.

If anything, CCC clubs will now be queuing up to buy him should we decide he cant do it in the PL.
24th March 2010 01:07 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
Assuming we are promoted

Carroll is still very rough around the edges but he is improving.

He still a young raw talent for me that needs more guidance - not sure Hughton is the man to teach him how to lead the line better like.

As for Beckford I just think he would be worth a punt.

I don't think he is top 6 material, but I think he would do a good job and grab some goals for a lower mid table team - which I think we will be.

And available on a free aswell.

I have asked for some suggestions from people and as I suspected a bit like me and my mates there are not manyobvious candidates out there are there??

This is our biggest problem I think we know we need players but;

1. Who is available?
2. Who is good enough?
3. Who is affordable?
4. Who would want to join us?- that's more aimed for players coming from top half clubs, that might be surplus to requirements.

Is it me or has football suddenly got so shit we can't think of anyone?
24th March 2010 01:33 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular
Assuming we are promoted

clubs will be selling players on the cheap this summer to try and get their wage bills down

if players are prepared to take wage cuts in order to play then we might pick up some decent players

there again this is Ashley and we all know how cheap he can be
24th March 2010 01:46 PM
Thread Closed