Thread Closed 
Stevie Charlton - for the oldies on here....
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

that have been going to the matches for ions. Do you remember this fella? Apparently he has/had supported NUFC since the 40's.

[Image: 1003tw740h600.jpg]
21st March 2010 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user
Jason Mackemtears

Unregistered

Aye I remember old Stevie. Used to stand near the dug out all the time. You could hear him on Shoot every week just repeating - "come on, come on, come on" as he always stood behind the Camera Man! Don`t think the old Fella is with us anymore sadly.
Poor old Sod used to sing Xmas Carols outside Fenwicks for money too.
Anybody remember the Blind Accordian player in the 70`s? Played putside Fenwicks for years?
21st March 2010 03:42 PM
poshgeordie Offline

Youth Team

Didn't he sing on the mic next to Shearer when we did the parade after winning the old first division? He had to get dragged off it, I'm sure...
21st March 2010 03:46 PM
LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter

Convinced he has hung his boots up.
21st March 2010 03:48 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

Why would Shearer have been singing at the parade when we won the 1st division??
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Keegan always got him tickets..
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

I was there, certainly dont remember seeing Shearer.
21st March 2010 03:50 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

King Sentinel I Wrote:I was there, certainly dont remember seeing Shearer.

I was talking aboots, Stevie Charlton..

Shearer wasn't anywhere near the first division celebrations, we still had Andy Cole...
21st March 2010 03:54 PM
Seawolf Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Jason Mackemtears Wrote:Aye I remember old Stevie. Used to stand near the dug out all the time. You could hear him on Shoot every week just repeating - "come on, come on, come on" as he always stood behind the Camera Man! Don`t think the old Fella is with us anymore sadly.
Anybody remember the Blind Accordian player in the 70`s? Played putside Fenwicks for years?

Aye I remember the accordion player outside fenwicks or just inside the entrance to Eldon square. Anyone remember old George? he used to get on the quayside (Baltic etc) playing his harmonica, we used to call him snotty nose but always bought him a pint, one of the lads around at the time had t-shirts made with a photo of old George printed on them, early 80's.
21st March 2010 03:56 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Jason Mackemtears Wrote:Aye I remember old Stevie. Used to stand near the dug out all the time. You could hear him on Shoot every week just repeating - "come on, come on, come on" as he always stood behind the Camera Man! Don`t think the old Fella is with us anymore sadly.

Apparently if people didn't give him money, he told them to f**k off.Big Grin
21st March 2010 03:59 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Was he related too, Mike Ashley..??
21st March 2010 04:04 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Is there a joke in there somewhere Hinky?
21st March 2010 04:05 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

bloody hell, I remember that shouting?!!?!? I had a season ticket near the dugout years ago, and I'm sure I recognise him (unless my senility is playing tricks).

I most certainly remember the accordian player mind!
21st March 2010 04:21 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Seawolf Wrote:Aye I remember the accordion player outside fenwicks or just inside the entrance to Eldon square. Anyone remember old George? he used to get on the quayside (Baltic etc) playing his harmonica, we used to call him snotty nose but always bought him a pint, one of the lads around at the time had t-shirts made with a photo of old George printed on them, early 80's.

blimey! I remember the harmonica bloke! He used to get in the Barley Mow? Mad old fucker!

I used to love it down the Quayside area in the 80's/90's. Riverside club, Barley Mow. Good time for music.
21st March 2010 04:26 PM
Seawolf Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:blimey! I remember the harmonica bloke! He used to get in the Barley Mow? Mad old fucker!

I used to love it down the Quayside area in the 80's/90's. Riverside club, Barley Mow. Good time for music.

Aye that's right Lip, he used to get in the Barley Mow as well, always had a smile mind, if I remember correctly he used to stay in the sally bash, we always had time for him and would buy him a pint or two before carrying on with our crawl...the music scene was good down there though my time was before the riverside emerged.
21st March 2010 04:34 PM
Pablo Offline

First Team Starter

Remember Big Eck collecting for charity too.

And for those that went to away games the bloke with long hair who always wore a scruffy suit

*hopes he isnt describing someone on here*
21st March 2010 04:41 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Pablo Wrote:the bloke with long hair who always wore a scruffy suit

He still sits in the Platinum Club..
21st March 2010 04:47 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Pablo Wrote:Remember Big Eck collecting for charity too.

And for those that went to away games the bloke with long hair who always wore a scruffy suit

*hopes he isnt describing someone on here*

Big Hec, short for Hector. He's dead now.
21st March 2010 05:24 PM
Jason Mackemtears

Unregistered

Sea Wolf & Lip the old Bloke who got in the Barley Mow was called George. He`d come in and always play Blaydon Races & Wooden Heart! He`d say Aye Son, Aye all the time! He also used to tell the same Joke everytime - Ah went ta the Doctors the otha day andhe sed - George I`ve not seen you in a while, and he replied - Aye that`s becoz av been bad!
The shirt with his print you got if you bought 8 pints!

Barley Mow - great days!
21st March 2010 05:31 PM
Jason Mackemtears

Unregistered

Texasmag Wrote:Big Hec, short for Hector. He's dead now.
I remember Big Hec coming in the Barley and starting shouting at some Bloke who didn`t put anything in his Bucket! Everyone shit themselves and gave him Money after that!
21st March 2010 05:33 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Big Grin Did you see the size of his feet!
21st March 2010 05:43 PM
Seawolf Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Jason Mackemtears Wrote:Sea Wolf & Lip the old Bloke who got in the Barley Mow was called George. He`d come in and always play Blaydon Races & Wooden Heart! He`d say Aye Son, Aye all the time! He also used to tell the same Joke everytime - Ah went ta the Doctors the otha day andhe sed - George I`ve not seen you in a while, and he replied - Aye that`s becoz av been bad!
The shirt with his print you got if you bought 8 pints!

Barley Mow - great days!

Aye mate his name was George or owld George to us, it was a mate of mine who started the t-shirt craic off, ya bang on with the "aye son" Big Grin and the same old joke, we never took the piss or owt like that mind, he was just an old daft bloke with a smile and a good heart to us.
21st March 2010 05:47 PM
Jason Mackemtears

Unregistered

Seawolf Wrote:Aye mate his name was George or owld George to us, it was a mate of mine who started the t-shirt craic off, ya bang on with the "aye son" Big Grin and the same old joke, we never took the piss or owt like that mind, he was just an old daft bloke with a smile and a good heart to us.
Aye he was a canny old fella. Nobody took the piss out of him. He was part of the fittings really.
21st March 2010 05:59 PM
Seawolf Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Jason Mackemtears Wrote:He was part of the fittings really.

Aye very true.
21st March 2010 06:22 PM
robleesheed Offline

Youth Team

Stevie Charlton I remember very very well! In the late 80's early 90's when we were in the 2nd division last time round me and my mates used to travel to the away games on a bus/buses laid on by a Ginga bloke called Stan who drank in the bottom club. Young Stevie was a character and a half, nee teeth and an eye for the gals, dorty perv! He used to often have a sing song on the bus, 'A long way to Tipperary' and ' Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag ', sounded funny wi nee teethSmile One away game we were travelling to after the stop off bar on the way, Stevie was sat in his seat with his head back and his Gums weren't stopping any flies. He looked like he had carked it, no sign of breathing! Panic ensued! Someone put their ear to his mouth and couldn't hear or feel any sign of life. Fuck!! He's Deed was the call! Then someone dropped an opal fruit into his gob and he coughed and spluttered as the sweetie fell down his throat! Phew!! We got to hear that terrible singing on the way home as well.
Miss him. top bloke, old school.
He had cracking tales about the old days!
21st March 2010 11:46 PM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

I only remember some old fella walking around the ground in a black n white suit in the 60's (similar to Lips avatar). He had a walking stick.

Anyone know who he was?
21st March 2010 11:51 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

robleesheed Wrote:Stevie Charlton I remember very very well! In the late 80's early 90's when we were in the 2nd division last time round me and my mates used to travel to the away games on a bus/buses laid on by a Ginga bloke called Stan who drank in the bottom club. Young Stevie was a character and a half, nee teeth and an eye for the gals, dorty perv! He used to often have a sing song on the bus, 'A long way to Tipperary' and ' Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag ', sounded funny wi nee teethSmile One away game we were travelling to after the stop off bar on the way, Stevie was sat in his seat with his head back and his Gums weren't stopping any flies. He looked like he had carked it, no sign of breathing! Panic ensued! Someone put their ear to his mouth and couldn't hear or feel any sign of life. Fuck!! He's Deed was the call! Then someone dropped an opal fruit into his gob and he coughed and spluttered as the sweetie fell down his throat! Phew!! We got to hear that terrible singing on the way home as well.
Miss him. top bloke, old school.
He had cracking tales about the old days!

Just as well he didn't choke when you put that Opal Fruit in his mouth.Big Grin
22nd March 2010 02:29 AM
NE1 Online

First Team Regular

Old Stevie sadly passed away on holiday with his family in Marbella just before Xmas 2004, following 80 years of support to NUFC.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-eas..._page.html
22nd March 2010 08:49 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Sad . At least he had a nice life towards the end.
22nd March 2010 10:32 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

A couple of posts off NO.

Used to always be on our coach when I went to all the away games with me dad mid-90s. Used to say he got put in a home and they wouldn't let him out for the away matches because he'd get back so late so he'd climb out the window. Apparently he always waited by the tuinnel when Keegan was a player and gave him a sweet on his way off the pitch, which is why he got a seat so close when Keegan came back. Also was told never to accept a peanut off him cos he'd buy then with chocolate on, but cos he had nee teeth he'd suck them and spit them back in the packet. Of course all this was just stuff I heard on away trips, so it could be bollocks. There were always a group of lads who'd look after him on the coach and mash up his sausage and beans for him at the service station. They always had a crack with the away fans as well when they were helping him out the ground "This is what watching Newcastle does to yee, he's 26 this lad!"Big Grin

I was introduced to him before the mauling we gave Coventry in 98,in the Mercers Arms,the pub across the road from Highfield Road.His first words were,"gimme a tab Fatty!",I then bought him a coke,and gave him more tabs.
After the game for some reason,we bumped into him again,and he was asking for help as he'd missed his coach,so a couple of pals and I took him to the player's entrance,to try and get him a lift back.
First out was Lionel Perez,and after telling him of Stevie's predicament,he bottled out of asking Ruud Gullit by saying,"I am only a player,there is nothing I can do."To which I replied,"one out of two ain't bad," much to his bemusement.

Next out was Alan Shearer,with his wife in a chauffeur driven Jag,Alan stopped,after I jumped in front giving it the we are not worthy salute,which amused Mrs. Shearer no end.He informed us he was on his way to Wembley to watch a Spice Girls concert,but he got on his mobile and then two well dressed men came out and told us they'd give Stevie a lift back,as Stevie got into the car he shook our hands warmly and thanked us incessantly,with the hint of a tear in his eye.

Although he cadged half a pack of tabs of me in the hour or so I spent in his company,I found him to be a man,who lived for nothing but Newcastle United Football Club,and the day I met him,I'll never forget.
22nd March 2010 10:52 AM
Thread Closed