Shay Given 'Prays' That Newcastle United Stay Up

Thread Closed 

rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Quote:Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given, who moved to Eastlands from Newcastle United in the January transfer window, has revealed that he is desperate for his old club to stay up, and is praying that the appointment of Alan Shearer as Magpies manager will provide the boost needed for survival.

"It is not easy to divorce myself from Newcastle," the Republic of Ireland international told The Newcastle Chronicle.

"The last thing I want is to see them get relegated because they have such fantastic supporters.

"I spoke to Alan and dropped him a few texts wishing him luck. If anyone can have an effect and galvanise the club it is him.

"It would be a real tragedy if they got relegated but it is getting very close to the wire. The games are running out and the results are not going so well.

"Please God Alan can keep them up and they can start to invest more in the team and have a stronger squad."

Given does not regret his move to Manchester either, as he was known to be highly dissastisfied with the way the club was being run at boardroom level.

"It was a big decision to leave because I had been at Newcastle for such a long time,” he added.

"But it was an opportunity to come to a club who hope to take off in the next couple of years. Manchester City could have signed any keeper in the world, so I feel lucky that they wanted me."

I bet he does otherwise he will be known as the Rat who deserted the sinking ship.
15th April 2009 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user
Alfie Noakes Offline

Youth Team

so when we play Man shitty next...whenever that is is he going to let on on for us.

fuck off shay - you jumped you cunt - dont blame you but keep you trap shut...swapped one shit team for another - whats he after Shearer to ask him back..
15th April 2009 11:04 PM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Fuck the pikey!
15th April 2009 11:22 PM
Alfie Noakes Offline

Youth Team

exacto dumf..or do you mean me?
15th April 2009 11:31 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

Dunno how you can slag him to be honest, he was a cracking player for us, gave his all, and before he left, everyone agreed they wouldn't like him to leave, but wouldn't blame him if he did. If you had the choice to go to a new job with better pay, and an owner who splashed the cash on all the best things, you'd jump at the chance, especially if the owner you were leaving didn't give a fuck about you or your club/job.

I'll give him a standing ovation when he returns regardless, great player, and a cracking guy,

No i am not shay
16th April 2009 01:46 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Dean i thought the same as you m8 but IF we go down and it looks like we will people wont remember him for being here for years and years, he will be remembered as the player that fucked off just when we needed him the most IF we go down.

Quote:Given does not regret his move to Manchester either, as he was known to be highly dissatisfied with the way the club was being run at boardroom level

This to me sounds like a bloke who knows IF his old club goes down he will be partly to blame for jumping ship so he's getting his story in before it happens.

Sorry like to me he has been tapped up by City and if the stories are true he is on £100k pw he has left for the money, not because of with the way the club was being run at boardroom level. After all its not as though Given hasn't opened his gob loads of times previous and he still stayed.
16th April 2009 04:06 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

shame like but i have to say fuck him
16th April 2009 07:05 AM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

Everyone has their own opininon of him, some will love him and some will hate him, personally I can't blame him for leaving, it had been coming for a long time.
16th April 2009 07:09 AM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they got beat again,..hehe, glad i got away from that fuckin shithole...!!",...says shay as he checks the footie results
16th April 2009 07:52 AM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Lets be honest City will be a top club in a few years time. Newcastle will probably be a mid table club at the very best. Shay had ambition and that is why he left. Find it amazing that people can slag him off after 11 years of service.
16th April 2009 10:59 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Agree 14.

I would have left with that cunt Ashley in charge.
16th April 2009 11:01 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

i don't blame shay for leaving... but i do smirk every time he lets one in for some reason.
16th April 2009 11:16 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Same here. I think it's because I don't want those City fans to feel happy about having nicked one of our best players.
16th April 2009 11:17 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

Shay came at a time when we were flying in the league and europe. There were chances to win silverware everyseason.

Sadly, we missed out and for the last 5 years have been falling further and further down the league.

You cant question Shay leaving, but you can question his timing. However, when you look at his face when we played Liverpool you could tell his heart wasnt in the club anymore.

I will applaud him when he comes back, he saved this club from some horrendous defeats, and we also pinched wins when we had no right to do so thanks to Shay.
16th April 2009 11:21 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Dean20m Wrote:Dunno how you can slag him to be honest, he was a cracking player for us, gave his all, and before he left, everyone agreed they wouldn't like him to leave, but wouldn't blame him if he did. If you had the choice to go to a new job with better pay, and an owner who splashed the cash on all the best things, you'd jump at the chance, especially if the owner you were leaving didn't give a fuck about you or your club/job.

I'll give him a standing ovation when he returns regardless, great player, and a cracking guy,

No i am not shay

tripe
16th April 2009 06:57 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

Fuck him. Ok he had the chance to go to Man City with all their dollars and fair play to him cos we're shite. But he could easily have waited until the summer, after all theyre gonna win as much as we are this season.

He is, in part, to blame for where we currently are, the pikey cunt.
16th April 2009 07:13 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Yes Al he is part of the reason we are in the shite totally agree. He wont have the chance to get booed next season as we wont be playing City.
16th April 2009 08:13 PM
toonarmy09 Offline

Reserve Team

well i didnt mind given going he couldnt have give any more but i did think we had a very good keeper in harper ...but got to say like very disappointed in harper hes gan back ower
16th April 2009 09:02 PM
mikeydad Offline

Reserve Team

Dean20m Wrote:Dunno how you can slag him to be honest, he was a cracking player for us, gave his all, and before he left, everyone agreed they wouldn't like him to leave, but wouldn't blame him if he did. If you had the choice to go to a new job with better pay, and an owner who splashed the cash on all the best things, you'd jump at the chance, especially if the owner you were leaving didn't give a fuck about you or your club/job.

No i am not shay

Dead right Dean!
17th April 2009 09:33 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

I agree with Dean tbh.

Aye, he's left us, but so did Keegan...does he get slated for leaving the sinking ship???
17th April 2009 10:31 AM
Stoner Offline

First Team Regular

I think he's a great keeper.
I think he stayed at NUFC through a lot of thin times, showed loyalty and commitment, and then had had enough of the bad management and buggered off to greener pastures.
Can't blame him for wanting better.
17th April 2009 10:44 AM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Yeah but time was wrong, its a tricky one so it is.
17th April 2009 10:53 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

Nothing tricky, up until last night, City had a chance of Silverware.

We had fuck all chance this season.
17th April 2009 11:14 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Hoof this thread back up come the end of the season i bet peoples opinions of him will change if we go down. richy KK situation is totally different m8, he was forced out Given wanted out. i don't blame him i just think his timing was wrong.
17th April 2009 12:57 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

nope, won't change my opinion of him at all.

KK situation is only different if you want it to be different. He left SJP because he didn't like the way the club was run, as did Shay. What's the difference in that?
17th April 2009 01:46 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

aye agree no difference between KK leaving and Shay leaving, both fed up with the way it was being run.
17th April 2009 01:59 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

Did KK leave to go to a rich premier league rival???

Did he fuck.
17th April 2009 02:43 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

No, but he left for the same reasons.
17th April 2009 02:56 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular