Shay Given 'Prays' That Newcastle United Stay Up

richy he didnt leave for the money, he was dismissed allegedly

the money is compo for them breaching the contract
17th April 2009 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user
viana45 Offline

First Team Regular

what does a player have to do in order to get respect from nufc fans.
17th April 2009 05:34 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

KK was sacked, then told he wasn't sacked, he left, and the reason he can claim is because of irrepairable circumstances or however you word it.
Everyone can have their own view, there can't be a right or wrong answer here as its personal opinion.
17th April 2009 06:10 PM
Mick Mahoney Offline

Youth Team

viana45 Wrote:what does a player have to do in order to get respect from nufc fans.

well Martins wont

Given wanted to leave then complained about not getting his "cut"

Beardsley has let himself down by selling his soul to Ashley

Viduka well say no more

Shola ?????????

Keegan in my opinion was forced out and will always have respect
17th April 2009 06:13 PM
viana45 Offline

First Team Regular

given wanted investment in the team not his "cut"

another case of us nufc fans expecting the world FFS. if this is the way we only have 3 men we respect shearer, kk and SBR.

weve had plenty of players we should respect. but sure we'll slag them off after 11 years service, were he was known as one of the best keepers in the game.

its laughable
17th April 2009 06:20 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

Shay had plenty of seasons for us, good and bad, its not like he jumped ship and the first sign of trouble as we've had many a shit season, he's even signed contracts when we were in the shit. He put in a respectable shift for us, always gives 100% and now because he prays we stay up, theres a Shay hate thread popped up, i cannot understand it.
17th April 2009 06:37 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

I laugh everytime he lets a goal in now... and i hope he wins nowt at City, mainly because i just don't like Man City, but i will still give him a standing ovation when he returns to St James'
17th April 2009 06:41 PM
Mick Mahoney Offline

Youth Team

Given was unhappy because he didn't get his 5% of the fee and he felt he deserved it after the service he had given to the club, he forgot to mention and a few on here have also forgot when he asked for a transfer under SBR, Bobby dropped him until he signed what he had been offered.
Given has been a good keeper and professional over the years for us BUT like most at the club over the last few years he has applied pressure and been rewarded with top wages.
17th April 2009 06:49 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

tino Wrote:richy he didnt leave for the money

I know that.

But neither did Shay.
17th April 2009 06:59 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

You talk a right load of fucking shite sometimes richy.

Quote:KK situation is only different if you want it to be different. He left SJP because he didn't like the way the club was run, as did Shay. What's the difference in that?

Quote:Only £9m+ compo or whatever it is....

Please take note of your elders m8 they know what they are talking about.

Quote:KK was sacked, then told he wasn't sacked, he left, and the reason he can claim is because of irreparable circumstances or however you word it.

Quote:richy he didnt leave for the money, he was dismissed allegedly

the money is compo for them breaching the contract

Hoof this back up if we get relegated and monitor other football forum Given will be blamed for jumping ship.

Nobody is saying he was wrong in wanting out its the timing of it that is annoying.
17th April 2009 07:14 PM
Seawolf Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Dean20m Wrote:Dunno how you can slag him to be honest, he was a cracking player for us, gave his all, and before he left, everyone agreed they wouldn't like him to leave, but wouldn't blame him if he did. If you had the choice to go to a new job with better pay, and an owner who splashed the cash on all the best things, you'd jump at the chance, especially if the owner you were leaving didn't give a fuck about you or your club/job.

I'll give him a standing ovation when he returns regardless, great player, and a cracking guy,

No i am not shay

Aye agreed.
17th April 2009 08:04 PM
joe harvey 69 Offline

Youth Team

Great goalkeeper, hope he wins fuck all at massive city tho but lets not forget his brilliant performances for us over the years. Best we've had at the toon by a long way.
17th April 2009 08:14 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

viana45 Wrote:given wanted investment in the team not his "cut"

another case of us nufc fans expecting the world FFS. if this is the way we only have 3 men we respect shearer, kk and SBR.

weve had plenty of players we should respect. but sure we'll slag them off after 11 years service, were he was known as one of the best keepers in the game.

I do understand where you are coming from sir, and I agree with the general drift. The only thing that slightly riles me about Shay is the timing of it. It would have been better for him to have stayed to the end of the season to do his bit to keep us up, then gone come the Summer with the understanding and well wishing of all. But he further undermined an already fragile confidence within the team with "that" statement, and chose to jump ship of his own accord, and the reasons he gave for doing so are frankly ludicrous when you think at the circus of a club he chose to end up at.

It's all well and good him praying for the club to stay up, and he's probably genuine, eleven years is a good shift at any club in the modern game, but the timing was all to pot really, did no-one any favours but Shay Given, and is reputedly on a huge wedge to boot.

I know what you're saying mate, but the timing of his move, and where he went to, has slightly soured Givens legacy, and he can't have it both ways.
17th April 2009 08:15 PM
joe harvey 69 Offline

Youth Team

His timing was perfect in my eyes, Ashley had rode the storm and was probably thinking that it was plain sailing, then along comes shay just to remind everyone that things were fucking awful actually and he gave him a black eye by talking sense about lack of investment and ambition. Its Ashleys fault he's not here.
17th April 2009 08:26 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

To a point. but Shay has to take some responsibility for his decision. It's too easy to blame it on Ashley, especially in January with an open cheque book waved in Given's face. If he went to Arsenal then I could understand it, but Given himself said in that statement that he wanted to go to a club with some semblance of stability, then promptly went to the only club run worse than ours.

Sounds to me like he's trying to bake his cake, eat it, shit it out, bake it again, and have a round of applause for taking it out of the oven at all.
17th April 2009 08:34 PM
joe harvey 69 Offline

Youth Team

I know what you are saying count, I said in a previous post I hope he wins fuck all at massive manc city but him saying what he did spoke for all of us, he was as pissed off as anyone and maybe's it took someone like him to get the point across. Not saying he's resonsible but since he's left ashley has woken up to the fact his management structure was taking us down so getting rid of wise and bringing in big al has been a positive step and at least given (sic) us hope that we may stay up.
17th April 2009 08:49 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

I don't think Shay had anything to do with it mate to be honest. Llambias was on defcon four with relegation, "We can't even entertain the idea.." and so on. I genuinely believe that they thought relegation simply wasn't feasible, even up to the point where it looked almost certain, then they fudged it in a last gasp attempt to save their arse by appointing Shearer, and even THEN are still making statements about Joe Kinnear coming back to the job after having gone through a major heart operation, which will no doubt kill him.

They're so fucking stupid that they actually seem to be willing to be the first club to want to place a completely incompetent manager that no fan wants back into a positon that will undoubtedly kill him for the sake of god knows what over one of the clubs living legends.

And you think they would have taken notice of Given in January..?
17th April 2009 09:15 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Given leaving had nowt to do with Ashley changing things if anything he was probably over the moon getting £8m for him.

Its the timing of him leaving that is wrong especially if we go down. Everyone has said Given is better than Harper so i cant see it being beneficial to the club him leaving when he did.
17th April 2009 09:47 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

DUMFRIESGEORDIE Wrote:Yeah but time was wrong, its a tricky one so it is.

timing. exactly. love for the club and us? right.....a lot of players get slagged off on here for "not trying" etc. well at least they haven't whined to their solicitors in order to agitate a move and then tried to butter us up.

Steve Harper is a man who kept his views "in house" and I hope the lad reaps the dividends, regadless of what division we are in next season.
17th April 2009 10:58 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

joe harvey 69 Wrote:His timing was perfect in my eyes, Ashley had rode the storm and was probably thinking that it was plain sailing, then along comes shay just to remind everyone that things were fucking awful actually and he gave him a black eye by talking sense about lack of investment and ambition. Its Ashleys fault he's not here.

while watching us slide into ignominy? the time to spit his dummy out was the summer after busting a gut to keep us up. by all means leave then, but half way through a relegation dog fight? bollocks man. weak willed. he went for the filthy lucre pure and simple and is back pedalling in a desperate bid to add credibilty to his shameful act.

Well good luck Shay in your quest for glory at Chelski Mark 2. Some of us aren't as easily conned.
17th April 2009 11:04 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

The Lip and the Count in agreement shocker EekBig Grin
17th April 2009 11:10 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Having read comments about Shay on other MB, every one of them are of the same opinion of you lads on here. That he should not have left when he did. I honestly don't think he will get a good reception off the fans the next time he is at SJP.
18th April 2009 01:38 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Quote:I honestly don't think he will get a good reception off the fans the next time he is at SJP

Thats if we are even in the same league TM but if we go down and come back up he will get slated.
18th April 2009 02:14 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

rotti Wrote:You talk a right load of fucking shite sometimes richy.

FFS, I know KK wasn't leaving for the compo. But me saying that, was exactly the same as KS saying Shay left for the extra wage. That was the point.
18th April 2009 12:01 PM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

I will be gutted for the bloke if he gets booed like, seriously, i genuinely think he cares for the club and he will be devastated if he gets booed, i know he will.

In all truth tho, those of you who thinks its shocking he left, do you think it fair he gets booed after all those years of service, winning us more points than i can count.

I honestly think if there are boos they will be drowned out by applause.
18th April 2009 12:07 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Dean20m Wrote:I will be gutted for the bloke if he gets booed like, seriously, i genuinely think he cares for the club and he will be devastated if he gets booed, i know he will.

In all truth tho, those of you who thinks its shocking he left, do you think it fair he gets booed after all those years of service, winning us more points than i can count.

I honestly think if there are boos they will be drowned out by applause.

you're probably right about the crowd reaction dean, but he fucked off in our greatest time of need. This buttering up process he is now going through is frankly nauseating in its rank hypocrisy.

He "prays we stay up". Well fuck praying to an imaginary god, pulling off a few saves in the NUFC goalie shirt would have helped us stay in the division a lot more effectively.

This talking to press malarkey is just so much showbiz crap intended for children and Sun readers. I am a fucking adult and I for one do not pay heed to players spouting off every five minutes. Do you know why the media have it in for Shearer? Cos he wouldn't play their pathetic little games and make "friends" with certain southern journos, so ever since they have had it in for him.

I wrote to Will Buckley at the Guardian for slating Al, commenting on how he had joined the southern herd. He replied to give him his due, but said he disliked Shearer - no reason why. Well I know fucking why. So balls to the press, balls to Given he can't keep his trap shut, and keep on fucking the printed media off Al with the risible contempt they deserve.Tongue
18th April 2009 02:17 PM

Thread Closed