Oba

Thread Closed 
Oba

Tinosghost Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Oba

countofbiarritz Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't oba have a good first season and there was talk of Wenger and Ferguson eyeing him up at one point wasn't there?

He's gone to shit now though, but he isn't the only one. Players like him and Colo (who started brightly) should really be coming into their own given their age and obvious talent (albeit on a good day), but instead they seem to be going quietly backwards. Oba seems to get worse every season, and I wonder if our coaches shouldn't carry a certain amount of stick for it. It isn't as if it's isolated either. We tend to buy players with big reputations who never seem to improve for us, quite the reverse if anything.

Spot on that count Wink
16th April 2009 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

countofbiarritz Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't oba have a good first season and there was talk of Wenger and Ferguson eyeing him up at one point wasn't there?

He's gone to shit now though, but he isn't the only one. Players like him and Colo (who started brightly) should really be coming into their own given their age and obvious talent (albeit on a good day), but instead they seem to be going quietly backwards. Oba seems to get worse every season, and I wonder if our coaches shouldn't carry a certain amount of stick for it. It isn't as if it's isolated either. We tend to buy players with big reputations who never seem to improve for us, quite the reverse if anything.

Oba's been injured quite a bit this season aswell so struggling to get a good run.

I think had the team been performing well, then we'd have seen more from Oba and Owen if they were fit, but even with those two in the side, we're poor, because we can't create anything for those two.
16th April 2009 06:10 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

I repeat..

He is WANK..!!!!!
16th April 2009 06:16 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

Saw that the first time. Just chose to ignore it.
16th April 2009 06:17 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
Oba

I know he's been injured this season, no wonder if he can rule himself out of a game on the morning it takes place because he's sprained himself having a wank or whatever. He hasn't been the player he looked like he might become for some time now.

Apart from the team creating nothing for him (quite correct), his runs are abysmal, his all round awareness has degraded, and crucially, he still couldn't trap a dog shit if his boots were covered in toffee. Surely someone on the coaching staff has to take a certain amount of responsibility for this?
16th April 2009 06:24 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

His control is awful. He never gets the ball to his feet anyway!

His runs aren't shit. They're just never picked out.

The injury seems odd, but could be genuine, apparently might need a hernia op. SOunds about right with our injury luck.
16th April 2009 06:27 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

The daft cunt, fucked himself at the pompey game, with his stupid tumble turns....
16th April 2009 06:32 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
Oba

They should tell him to pack that shit in as well. Imagine if he broke his leg doing one of those back flips? You'd go fucking nuts if you were Shearer, absolutely fucking nuts.
16th April 2009 06:38 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

He didn't do it against Arsenal did he? Or did he? Wonder if he has decided to stop, after what he did at Pompey.
16th April 2009 06:40 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

Sal Wrote:I think he is vitally missed at the moment.

Only player with genuine pace, and is actually keen on shooting.

He has been poor of late, he needs to get some kind of form back for these 6 games, along with Owen & Carroll or we are gonners.

all of our forwards have had far too much pressure on them due to our appalling midfield. As was proven on Saturday, one decent cross and Carroll managed a goal.
16th April 2009 07:00 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

richyNUFC Wrote:His runs aren't shit. They're just never picked out.

Sorry Rich but his runs are none existent.

For someone as quick as he is to not attack space at every opportunity is criminal, he never gets picked out because he rarely moves.
16th April 2009 07:07 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

Agree Lip, it's the service that lets us down rather than the strikers. And disagree Sal, I think Martins makes himself available a lot.

His first season here he must have been caught offside a million times, so now makes his runs a lot later, often AFTER the ball has been played, as he has the pace to beat most defenders anyway. He's always in the right area for a ball to feet or the ball to go over the top.

The midfield know of his pace, so a simple ball over the defence shouldn't be too hard to play.
16th April 2009 07:43 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

He isnt wank but he isnt a natural goalscorer is he. Id sooner have a fit Viduka than Martins being honest as he is a natural goalscorer.
16th April 2009 08:17 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

Owen, Martins and Viduka. But Duke doesn't want to be here.

If just 2 strikers, I'd go for Owen and Oba. Owen to be the "natural goalscorer" Oba to add a bit of the unpredictable.
16th April 2009 08:30 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
Oba

rotti Wrote:He isnt wank but he isnt a natural goalscorer is he. Id sooner have a fit Viduka than Martins being honest as he is a natural goalscorer.

I agree with that as things stand for us now. We need someone to command the box, even if that's all the fat bastard does, at least we know we can do it. Oh that it should come to this!

With a better team, or at least with us in a more comfortable position in the table, I would take Martins any day just because of the unpredictability, but without resorting to cliche he is now filed in Shearer's cabinet under the heading of "luxury player". We need a traditional hold up in the box player, and sadly the fat bastard is the only man for the job. Eek We need him back *weeps into hands..*
16th April 2009 08:51 PM
Mick Mahoney Offline

Youth Team
Oba

richyNUFC Wrote:Oba's been injured quite a bit this season aswell so struggling to get a good run.

I think had the team been performing well, then we'd have seen more from Oba and Owen if they were fit, but even with those two in the side, we're poor, because we can't create anything for those two.

thats the point, if the team were playing well he would want to play, as it is easier playing in a winning team. he is not a grafter or a team player and i must agree with Jinky.
16th April 2009 09:47 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Oba

Martins is a talented player. I dont think there is much doubt about that, some of the goals he has scored have been class. His problem however is consistency. He looks awsome one moment and shite then next. Mind you can say that about quite a few of our players. In the summer assuming Owen is off I would pair him with a tall player who can get the best out of him (assuming we stay up of cource). He is always shite when he plays with Owen, they just cant play together. Some his best stuff has come when hes played with Sibiereski and Viduka.
16th April 2009 10:33 PM
Ryton Mag Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Oba

He is not a team player. When he recieves the ball first thing he does is try and turn and run towards goal which often ends up in him either loosing the ball or going sideways. He rarely looks up to see if there's a pass on, puts his head down all the time. He needs a good coach one on one for 6 months to get him to play football, then he might start realising his potential.
16th April 2009 10:59 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite
Oba

passing isn't his game though is it... his game is turning and running at defenders, Keegan told him to stop turning backwards and looking for a pass, and run at the defenders instead, and it worked.. did you see Keegan at Spurs away when we won 4-1, he told Martins to get at the defender... he did and he created Owen's goal.
17th April 2009 11:26 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

MARTINS IS THICK AS SHIT WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL

Been saying that since we go him, and nothing I see now changes my opinion of him. Most players with his pace use it to their advantage, he wastes it. He would try and beat 3 players by coming inside, than go down the outside and leave them for dead with his pace.

When playing against the best pairing defenders in the country (Terry & Carvalho) he stayed in the middle forcing our defence to play high balls into him. This was easy as fuck for Terry & Co. He should have been running into the channels, dragging the defence all over the place, but he dosnt.

You seen what carroll did last week in 10 mins when dragging stokes defence all over the pitch.

When Shearer told Oba last week, how to play the game properly by using his pace to get into positions, he cried off with a fucking hamstring injury.
17th April 2009 11:31 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite
Oba

NE1 Wrote:MARTINS IS THICK AS SHIT WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL

Been saying that since we go him, and nothing I see now changes my opinion of him. Most players with his pace use it to their advantage, he wastes it. He would try and beat 3 players by coming inside, than go down the outside and leave them for dead with his pace.

When playing against the best pairing defenders in the country (Terry & Carvalho) he stayed in the middle forcing our defence to play high balls into him. This was easy as fuck for Terry & Co. He should have been running into the channels, dragging the defence all over the place, but he dosnt.

You seen what carroll did last week in 10 mins when dragging stokes defence all over the pitch.

When Shearer told Oba last week, how to play the game properly by using his pace to get into positions, he cried off with a fucking hamstring injury.

no he didn't.
17th April 2009 11:33 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

MARTINS IS THICK AS SHIT WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL

Agree entirely.

ME SHOOT, ME SCORE, ME RUN, UGH UGH!!!!

He could easily pass as Tarzan (a black one granted).
17th April 2009 11:47 AM
joe harvey 69 Offline

Youth Team
Oba

The lads just having a dip in form, he has been canny in some games then pretty poor in most others but the whole team have been like that all season. He's got ability theres no doubt and I really hope Shearer can get him fired up as he can terrorise defences when on top of his game, cut the lad some slack as he could be the one to save our bacon.
17th April 2009 11:54 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

viana45 Wrote:And shearer bury rift, good to see. Oba has always done his best for us and we need him durin the run in more than ever.

doubt there was any rift - just the press talking shite.
18th April 2009 02:19 PM
hpoolmag Offline

Youth Team
Oba

NE1 Wrote:MARTINS IS THICK AS SHIT WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL

Supermac and bobby moncour have been saying this ages. Frustarting player when he wants to he can do it but when he cant be arsed he's as bad as ameobi.
18th April 2009 02:51 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

Bet Wenger could get the best out of him probably where he will be next season.
18th April 2009 05:58 PM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter
Oba

Wenger wouldn't touch him, he doesn't need him
18th April 2009 06:19 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Oba

Think Wenger will lose a couple of his top players in the summer that Adebayor will leave.
18th April 2009 06:23 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman
Oba

Adebayor is an arsehole, thinks he's Lionel Messi and can just walk into any clubs starting eleven. Some of these little pricks don't realise just how good they have it at their current clubs, especially Arsenal. I can't think of one ex Arsenal player under Wenger that went on to better themselves after leaving. Henry springs to mind I suppose, but only when he realised that at a club like Barca, no-one gives a shit about who you think you are or what you think you deserve. He was too used to having his arse kissed by everyone at Arsenal, and had a bit of a slap at Barca. Fair play to him for knuckling down to it, but so many other players don't seem able to cope with the culture shock, especially the younger ones.

I fucking hate Adebayor, smug ungrateful cunt. I hope he does go to Barca, maybe when he's sixth choice striker with the most critical fans in the world on his back when he puts a toe wrong on the pitch, he might just appreciate what Arsenal have done for him, and how they nutured him. Same with Ronaldo when he fucks off to Real Madrid. He won't be the first world class player to walk through that door, they've seen it all before, and he won't get any slack cut if he starts fucking about like boss cocky of the yard.
18th April 2009 06:45 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Oba

Oba typifies virtually every other signing since Keegan was manager.....most of them come with bags of ability and promise but after a couple of seasons they are generally on their way some where, leaving the fans unsatisfied and frustrated
18th April 2009 07:03 PM

Thread Closed