First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

Why would Bruce come here?
31st March 2009 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
Steve Bruce

As according to our local journalists of some repute (hehehe) he's privately let it be known he wants the job.
31st March 2009 10:26 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Steve Bruce

it just goes to show how far our expectations and hope has fallen as a group of supporters.

just over a year ago (maybe longer - maybe less Big Grin) when bruce was touted as our next manager we were all gutted. now many will welcome him with open arms.

not knocking those that will - just highlighting the slump, decline and expectation of our club.

saying that he could go onto become a legend like SAF is at manure...... but i doubt it. he'll fuck us off to go to them in a shot if the chance came
31st March 2009 10:27 AM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
Steve Bruce

Ketsbia was a cult player here as he was away with the pigeons a lot of the time but to me was nothing but a headless chicken who grabbed a few headlines and was symptomatic of how far Daglish took us back over after Keegans tenure.

I'll take the tried and tested Bruce any day as I've said he's proven he can get teams promoted.
31st March 2009 10:28 AM
omenator2

Unregistered

Steve Bruce

could do what harry did to southampton, just to please dave whelan
31st March 2009 10:28 AM
omenator2

Unregistered

Steve Bruce

De Sade Wrote:Ketsbia was a cult player here as he was away with the pigeons a lot of the time but to me was nothing but a headless chicken who grabbed a few headlines and was symptomatic of how far Daglish took us back over after Keegans tenure.

I'll take the tried and tested Bruce any day as I've said he's proven he can get teams promoted.

take it you haven't seen his management record then
31st March 2009 10:29 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

De Sade Wrote:As according to our local journalists of some repute (hehehe) he's privately let it be known he wants the job.

Aye, but in the past, when we were actually an attractive job, he'd turned us down. Why come now when he's putting together a half decent Wigan side and we're going down?

Rod100 Wrote:it just goes to show how far our expectations and hope has fallen as a group of supporters.

just over a year ago (maybe longer - maybe less Big Grin) when bruce was touted as our next manager we were all gutted. now many will welcome him with open arms.

Obviously expectations will drop with the teams drop in form. Got to be realistic. In my opinion, even Steve Bruce is more than we're worth at the minute.
31st March 2009 10:30 AM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
Steve Bruce

Rod100 Wrote:it just goes to show how far our expectations and hope has fallen as a group of supporters.

not knocking those that will - just highlighting the slump, decline and expectation of our club.

saying that he could go onto become a legend like SAF is at manure...... but i doubt it. he'll fuck us off to go to them in a shot if the chance came

Yep spot on. A few years ago we were in the higher echelons of the premiership with some hope of better.

We are now in the bottom three with a club rotten to the core.

Beggers can't be choosers.
31st March 2009 10:30 AM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
Steve Bruce

[quote=richyNUFC]Aye, but in the past, when we were actually an attractive job, he'd turned us down. Why come now when he's putting together a half decent Wigan side and we're going down?[quote]

I've no idea it doesn't make much sense to me. I'm going off reports that he's said he wants the job.

It could all be bollocks but maybe he THINKS he's taken Wigan as far as he can and that we are in such a state that the times right, that he can't do any worse than what we've had and the only place he could take us is up. Maybe in the past he thought the weight of expectation here too much but now we're about to bottom out in the championship and any progress he could gain would be deemed success.
31st March 2009 10:35 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Steve Bruce

thats my point exactly.

a huge wave of optimism swept over NUFC when we had a billionaire - yes billionaire - buy us. thoughts turned to lavishing huge sums on the playing staff, manager and god knows what else; another chelsea if you wish. the nufc phoenix rising from the flames.

when in reality is was just ashley lighting his fart.

player sales, international players coming out of contract, bargain basement buys, managerial discord, managers leaving, players not knowing who is in charge or what is happening. you couldnt write it.

the arrival of MA was heralded as us becoming the next big thing, when in reality is has made us into one big joke.
31st March 2009 10:36 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

De Sade Wrote:[quote=richyNUFC]Aye, but in the past, when we were actually an attractive job, he'd turned us down. Why come now when he's putting together a half decent Wigan side and we're going down?
Quote:I've no idea it doesn't make much sense to me. I'm going off reports that he's said he wants the job.

It could all be bollocks but maybe he THINKS he's taken Wigan as far as he can and that we are in such a state that the times right, that he can't do any worse than what we've had and the only place he could take us is up. Maybe in the past he thought the weight of expectation here too much but now we're about to bottom out in the championship and any progress he could gain would be deemed success.

Possibly. Still doubt it like.

[quote=Rod100]thats my point exactly.

a huge wave of optimism swept over NUFC when we had a billionaire - yes billionaire - buy us. thoughts turned to lavishing huge sums on the playing staff, manager and god knows what else; another chelsea if you wish. the nufc phoenix rising from the flames.

when in reality is was just ashley lighting his fart.

player sales, international players coming out of contract, bargain basement buys, managerial discord, managers leaving, players not knowing who is in charge or what is happening. you couldnt write it.

the arrival of MA was heralded as us becoming the next big thing, when in reality is has made us into one big joke.

Aye well the majority of football fans all over the world are fickle. And there was no reason why the arrival of MA at the time should have been seen as anything other than positive.

We didn't know then, what we know now.
31st March 2009 10:38 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Steve Bruce

i never meant we were fickle.

more that we have been fucked up the arse in a big way.
31st March 2009 10:40 AM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
Steve Bruce

omenator Wrote:take it you haven't seen his management record then

He had a canny run in Europe and has been given carte blanche as regards bringing players in to secure titles in Cyprus, whoopie fucking doo.

Like I say I'll go with the fella who has actually been in the championship and gotten promoted twice. Not to mention hes looking like taking Wigan into Europe on a shoestring.
31st March 2009 10:44 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

I know. It was me who said we were fickle. As are most football fans of every club. Nowt wrong with getting carried away with something which could go either way. 99/100 we're going to look at things positively when in reality, there's no reason to be positive other than hype and hope.
31st March 2009 10:46 AM
omenator2

Unregistered

Steve Bruce

De Sade Wrote:He had a canny run in Europe and has been given carte blanche as regards bringing players in to secure titles in Cyprus, whoopie fucking doo.

Like I say I'll go with the fella who has actually been in the championship and gotten promoted twice. Not to mention hes looking like taking Wigan into Europe on a shoestring.

the run in europe was with a majority of unknown players as the big names weren't performing so he got rid of them (how many have been calling for that with our team) 66% winning ratio and a goal difference +135 in all comps, also KK was untested before he came here first time round

anyway aside from that, I just can't believe that awhile ago when bruce's name was being mentioned to become our manager I vividly remember the term placca geordie being banded about and that no one wanted him here

Didn't he also state when keegan walked out he joined the rest in saying they would have done the same thing?? if so what has changed since then
31st March 2009 10:52 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Steve Bruce

De Sade Wrote:He had a canny run in Europe and has been given carte blanche as regards bringing players in to secure titles in Cyprus, whoopie fucking doo.

the only reason why wigan will get into europe is because outside the top4 the rest of the teams are shite. look at the table - a couple of wins, and if results go right for us, we could be knocking on the door of europe. ffs spurs could even get there.

its a joke. however i do agree he is tried and tested and could well do a job for us.

its all just a bit underwhelming for me
31st March 2009 10:53 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

omenator Wrote:anyway aside from that, I just can't believe that awhile ago when bruce's name was being mentioned to become our manager I vividly remember the term placca geordie being banded about and that no one wanted him here

Didn't he also state when keegan walked out he joined the rest in saying they would have done the same thing?? if so what has changed since then

Aye, like I said, I doubt he'd come here.

Never called him a "placca geordie" meself, just didn't want him because, at the time, I expected better.
31st March 2009 10:54 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

Rod100 Wrote:the only reason why wigan will get into europe is because outside the top4 the rest of the teams are shite. look at the table - a couple of wins, and if results go right for us, we could be knocking on the door of europe. ffs spurs could even get there.

I actually think he's put together a canny side at Wigan. His defense is his weak point, but look canny going forward. Shame they sold Palacios, he was their best player.
31st March 2009 10:56 AM
omenator2

Unregistered

Steve Bruce

also this is the man who bought titus Rolleyes
31st March 2009 10:57 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

omenator Wrote:also this is the man who bought titus Rolleyes

He was actually an improvement to Wigan's back line though. And earned them a point at SJP. Still makes those cock ups though. Big Grin
31st March 2009 10:59 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Steve Bruce

i understand what you're saying richy - but we both know the league is wank bar the top4 possibly 5. and the fifth team in villa or everton arent that good in reality - workman like, organised - little flair, skill or invention in either side IMO.

ffs spurs could make europe. that is an indictment of how poor our league is fella.
31st March 2009 10:59 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

Aye the league is poor. But you can only beat what's in front of you, and when there are 14 teams who are all capable of beating each other without it being an upset, then to come out on top of those is still an achievement.
31st March 2009 11:02 AM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
Steve Bruce

No doubting the leage is poor, it's utterly shit but we're looking like we could go out of it. I can't believe we wouldn't take a manager who is currently safe with a small budget and who's done the job we may need doing twice before.
31st March 2009 11:03 AM
omenator2

Unregistered

Steve Bruce

question for you all

would you support a manager who ashley and llambias had brought in?
31st March 2009 11:04 AM
Rod100 Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Steve Bruce

would totally depend on who it was, what money he'd been promised etc etc.

as if thats the case we should be behind JK to the hilt.
31st March 2009 11:05 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

omenator Wrote:question for you all

would you support a manager who ashley and llambias had brought in?

Did you support Keegan?

I support anyone who does the job well. If Bruce comes in and does well, he'll get my support.
31st March 2009 11:06 AM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter
Steve Bruce

depends if it was the right appointment, and they offered a bit of cash in August and January
31st March 2009 11:06 AM
omenator2

Unregistered

Steve Bruce

richy i'm not even going to justify a stupid question with an answer Wink

as for the money, wasn't this money promised to KK but never materialised
31st March 2009 11:07 AM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter
Steve Bruce

exactly
31st March 2009 11:08 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Steve Bruce

omenator Wrote:richy i'm not even going to justify a stupid question with an answer Wink

as for the money, wasn't this money promised to KK but never materialised

Well then that answers your own question mate.

Everyone supported Keegan, when he was Ashley's appointment...so the answer is yes, I could support an Ashley appointment.
31st March 2009 11:10 AM

Thread Closed