Deadline Day and NUFC Transfer Roundup (Very Long Read)

Thread Closed 

omenator Offline

Owner

Deadline day is always a right laugh when you’re watching Sky Sports News, but usually ends up in disappointment for the majority of fans and this window was no different.

Jim White once again took it upon himself to attempt to ruin every set of speakers in every room that was unfortunate enough to have on SSN while he was on air. Jim calm down mate, Scott Parker could be on the phone to anyone, it doesn’t mean he’s talking about leaving West Ham.

Then you had the very entertaining breaking news that Ryan Babel was in a helicopter on route to London, more specifically Tottenham. Then less than 20 minutes later it was being diverted towards West Ham United, of course this was news to Ryan himself who tweeted that he wasn’t going anywhere… but Sky pressed ahead with these “rumours” even though Ryan was probably sitting at home chuckling away.

“This is the big deal we’ve all been waiting for!” no it wasn’t Robinho joining AC Milan; it was Asamoah Gyan joining Sunderland for £13+mil… Yes you did read that right £13+mil for a striker who had 3 decent world cup games but hasn’t really got the best strike record for someone you would expect of that value. They even got this one wrong, they announced that he had signed even though Sunderland hadn’t confirmed it…. talk about jumping the gun.

The last 5 minutes of the window I genuinely thought Jim White was going to explode with excitement as the news broke that “wheeler dealer” ‘Arry had pulled another coup in the form of Van Der Vaart for £8mil even thought 24 hours previously he was being offered to clubs at £18mil, now if that’s not suspicious what is? (Should add that as of 23:48 the premier league are investigating the deal)

As usual you had the countdown till the deadline with footage of Big Ben. 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1… Happy New Y… oh sorry got my dates mixed up there. That’s it folks that’s all the transfers done for this year, but wait it isn’t you can still sign free agents and players can still be loaned from the 7th September, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves tonight.

From a Newcastle stand point it was a pretty uneventful deadline day, with it starting that we are going to sign Rick van Wolfswinkel and Robbie Keane with Steven Taylor being sold to Everton to £4mil, unnamed players checking into hotels, you know the usual sort of rumour that goes round on deadline day. Of course none of this materialized but it added some excitement to the online community.

So a window that started with we’re not going to sign anyone and probably sell our best players turned into probably one of the best summer windows we’ve had in recent years.

Let’s start with the most drawn out transfer saga all summer, Hatem Ben Arfa. Yes we did finally sign him on the 28th, which was met with a universal “finally” around the entire area. This is initially a loan deal worth £5mil however the clause was added that if he plays 25 games this season then he will be bought out right for a further £5mil. This was the type of signing we have all been calling out for. A young, pacey player who could unlock defences and could get a hatful of assists this season if all goes well. The only question mark over this deal could be the personality of Ben Arfa, a player who went AWOL to talk to a team without permission from Marseille. Will he do the same to us if a bigger club come in for him?

Cheik Tiote also joined the club for around £3.5mil. A deal which no one saw coming. The rumours had been about a new striker, the ongoing Ben Arfa story, and turning attention toward Manchester City’s leftovers, then the story that he was on Tyneside for a medical came out of no-where. I’m going to be honest with you all; I really don’t know much about this lad, except he’s the one who injured Elano at the World Cup. However I have been informed by someone who watches the Eredivisie, that he is a defensive midfielder in the Smith mould but more imposing and brings a physical presence to the pitch.

James Perch joined us from Nottingham Forrest, for £1.2M. We have already had 3 games to see how this deal will potentially turn out; so far he looks to be a pretty solid signing. Then you take into account his versatility, he can play across the back four and as a defensive midfielder. Not bad for such a cheap signing, think Chris and Colin (Calderwood) have gotten this deal spot on.

Sol Campbell signed on a free transfer, now I admit I was one of the fans who weren’t too impressed with this deal at first glance. However thinking about it, this could turn into a real coup for Chris. He would add some much needed Premier League experience to the back line and hopefully be influential enough to help nurture the younger talent we have in a similar position. With experience of marking the top players in Europe while at Arsenal and the top international strikers while playing for England at world cups, he will have developed a very good reading of the game which should compensate for any loss in pace due to his advanced years.

Finally you have Dan Gosling, possibly the oddest deal of the transfer window. At the moment he is currently recovering from a cruciate ligament injury and should be back around Christmas time. Due to which we are holding off judging this signing however I am willing to state that this was another coup for a team who had just been promoted. We have signed a probable future England star that was wanted by a whole host of clubs, and surely this must rest solely with Chris Hughton and his team, superb work guys. Of course you have the whole Everton getting on their high horse because they had a “verbal agreement” which I think every fan through the country knew it wouldn’t stand up during the appeal process.

So for less than £10mil we have signed 5 solid players and certainly addressed the lack of strength in depth. Yes we all know we need another left back brought in, in case Jose picks up an injury, but hey that’s what free transfers are for. Who knows we might not be finished bringing in players just yet.

Everyone stated before the start of the window, we would see what Chris Hughton was made off. Well I for one think he has proved his doubters wrong and looking back over the window I can’t help but think one thing….

Bring on the rest of the season!
31st August 2010 11:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
mjg316 Offline

First Team Starter
RE: Deadline Day and NUFC Transfer Roundup (Very Long Read)

good shout mate
31st August 2010 11:24 PM
Ryton Mag Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Aye good one, I was a doubter but he hasn't put a foot wrong since the start of last season.
31st August 2010 11:34 PM
Cal

Unregistered

Cracking post
31st August 2010 11:35 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Great post but there is no loan window in the premier league. Its free agents or nowt until January.
31st August 2010 11:57 PM
omenator Offline

Owner

Bollocks thanks for pointing that out

was writing it as I was thinking about who would be loaned out over the coming months and got mixed up Ban
1st September 2010 12:13 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Initial £5mil for HBA and a further £5mil later??

Tsk tsk tsk
1st September 2010 07:12 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

That's not right is it? Huh
6th September 2010 12:05 PM

Thread Closed