Premier League quality and pace

Thread Closed 

The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Last season I was waiting for pub team football and a bunch of slow coaches in the opposition (as well as us Smile) - however was generally surprised at the quality of play, apart from the lack of decent finishers.

However I was waiting for the sudden increase in quality and sheer pace of the opposition this season, reminding me of how we went down so pathetically in the first place.

Is it just me, or are teams not as quick and good as we thought they would be? I was in fear of super athletes with amazing skills - but I really think I'd bought into the "best league in the world" crap and the usual anti-NUFC bullshit (sometimes from our own supporters).

Considering that on paper the team that got relegated had more quality than the current one, it just goes to show how team morale and trust in a decent man manager makes so much difference at this level.

With a decent few transfers (looking forward to seeing Arfasixpence and Sol - and Chiek bloke) perhaps things aren't going to be as bad as I thought. Smile
2nd September 2010 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Premier League quality and pace

Agree entirely Lip.

Barring a big injury crisis I think we will be safe with a handful of games to spare.
2nd September 2010 07:55 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

We have only played Manure so far who i call a really good side, wait until we have played Arsenal/Chelsea Etc to find out how fit other teams are.
3rd September 2010 09:19 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Agree with Rotti, but also agree with Lip that morale etc is massively important.
3rd September 2010 12:32 PM
Workshy Fop Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Personally I think that's shite, rotti. There you have listed the only three sides that are any good in the premier league.

Before we played them, I bet you'd have included the likes of Villa in there along with the Evertons and Liverpools, all of whom have started badly and don't look anything to fear.

Don't get me wrong, I think they'll all finish above us, well eight or so of them will anyways, but I think FLip's right that this league is pretty poor (outside of Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal) and not such a big step up from the championship as we always used to believe.
(This post was last modified: 3rd September 2010 01:44 PM by Workshy Fop.)
3rd September 2010 01:43 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Fop im on about the best teams in the table not the also rans. We got well stuffed from Manure even though the 3-0 scoreline doesn't show that, but we were well beat. And yes they will all finish above us even Villa.
3rd September 2010 03:26 PM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter

To be honest I don't think the mancs stuffed us
3rd September 2010 04:11 PM
bignes Offline

Youth Team

I think the main differance is chances

Where in the championship you could get away with 4-5 chances in the premiership you give one chance away and most teams will punish you
3rd September 2010 05:27 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Villa are a good side...but lets give our boys some credit...we made them look shit. Had it been Man U, they'd be getting praised to the high heavens.
(This post was last modified: 4th September 2010 05:38 PM by The Steve.)
4th September 2010 05:37 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Exactly.
4th September 2010 05:57 PM

Thread Closed