Last Night

Thread Closed 
Last Night

LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
Last Night

I have calmed down now from how annoyed I was immediately after that shower of shit performance last night.

But it does demonstrate how we have relied on our tight defence this season, Taylor, Collocini and Enrique have been the bedrock of our promotion push.

Without them we wouldn't have been able to scrape so many victories.

Simpson isn't good enough, as I have said all along, he had another awful display last night.

I am not one of the black and white spectacles folk on here who seem to think we are playing well this season and top through this.

We are not top any more due to WBA having clawed back our lead, but we are not up there due to performance, more to do with the league being so shyte and our defence being way to good for it.

In midfield we still lack creativity and quality, up front we are still poor - the Cardiff game apart, I can honestly say as someone who does actually attend home and away games I can count on one hand the amount of what I would call genuinely quality performances, the rest has been mediocre, dour grind them out results at best.

If and I still say if, despite Forest's loss, if we go up, we will need almost an entire new team - Ashley isn't going to fund that, so if we go up we must pray we are bought out, otherwise it will be straight back down.

Too many players are simply let's say adequate Championship players who have got together as a team and got results, on the back of solid defensive displays by our only Premiership standard players, Taylor, Collocini and Enrique.

Guitterez once again flatters to deceive - 1 goal all season is it?

Not good enough for a so called attacking midfielder, too many runs end with him running the ball out of play.

I have been saying for weeks our lead is evaporating due to the continued form of West Brom and Forest.

I still think we should go up, but it will be tight and next season is going to be one I dread unless Ashley fucks off or has a change of direction.

As for the sad Mackem cunt with his FTM flag in the home end last night, yes it was me who got it took down you sad Mackem cunt.

Derby stewards were a bit bemused when I asked what is your policy on offensive flags, then telling them there was a flag that offended me and I wanted it removed from the ground.

Good on them though, within 5 minutes they sorted it, despite the obvious protest from the Mackem cunt who put it up.
10th February 2010 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

Simpson was playing through injury.

He's played well many times this season.

We've played well quite a few times this season aswell, maybe not up to your high standards, but grinding out one-nil wins away at Preston and Sheffield Utd on a cold wet night are just as important as the 5-1 win over Cardiff.
10th February 2010 06:11 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

No offence like richy but as LL goes to a lot of games his opinions are valued and i dont think its got to do with his high expectations, surely after last season that would have been drummed out of him.

He is seeing the performance 1st hand and not by the radio commentary. This isnt a pop at you m8 just someone going to the game is going to see the performance for what it was.
10th February 2010 07:32 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

Last Night

losing colo, taylor and enrique is a massive blow really,..never even noticed their abscence much against cardiff cos from the first bell we just attacked them which handily kept the pressure off the novice defence,..briliant tactics from hughton that!!,..but last night he decided to play the same team but clearly forgot to tell the lads to attack and get the game over in 15 minutes again Rolleyes.

The best form of defence is attack,...slap of the wrist for chrissy, :hissy:
10th February 2010 07:46 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

I think the thing Hughton did wrong last night was not notice the same tactics against Derby that he did against Cardiff wasnt working and it took him far too long to make the changes. Maybe playing 4-5-1 away from home is a better formation it worked in the early games of the season when Nolan was banging them in.
10th February 2010 07:54 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Last Night

Firstly most of the matches this year have been on telly so I don't believe this bollocks that you have to go to the match to have a good opinion. I was a season ticket holder myself until last season.

Player to player this squad is better than most in the league. We are top (well 2nd now) because we deserve to be. Hughton has done well and we have only lost four games. We are not going to get out of this league playing great football and we are going to have to scrap for every point we can get. If anything those scrappy away wins at Sheffield United, Cardiff and Preston were more satisfying than the thrashings of Ipswich and Cardiff. I would rather win every game 1 0 then lose every game 4 3.

However we are in the championship because we are not good enough for the premier league. We will be in another relegation battle with this squad next year. I guess the big hope is that some white knight comes in and takes over the club. We will probably be a yo yo club under Ashley or at best a Bolton or a Blackburn content with our share of the pie. The squad probably needs 5 or 6 players to compete. However next season is next season and the priority is getting back to the premier league. Lets deal with it when we get there!
(This post was last modified: 10th February 2010 08:39 PM by 14andout.)
10th February 2010 08:16 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite
Last Night

simpson is barely good enough for this league never mind the prem
10th February 2010 08:34 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
Last Night

It's going to be difficult if we don't get at least 2 out of our 3 injured defenders back soon.

Yes Hughton has done well in this league but I saw enough under him last year to know he is well out of his depth up in the Premier like vast majority of squad.

His inability to change his game plan was exposed many times including last night.

As you say a White knight is required if we go up.

I just hope we are good enough and hope I don't have to endure Fitz Hall too often
10th February 2010 08:36 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

14 we need to do something right to even get as good as Blackburn if we gain promotion that is how bad we are.

Look at the clubs we have been beaten off and tell me we will come up against any worse teams in the premier league. Its ok saying we will worry about it if it happens, to a point that is correct but most people know aslong as ashley is here we will be favourites for relegation along with the other 2 clubs that come up.

With a little bit of money spent by ashley we would have pissed this league but he has brought in loan signings some are good some are bad. we have given players like Leon Best a three and a half year contract and if you look at his stats on wikipedia the signs that he will bag us loads of goals are not looking good, especially for a striker.

ashley is totally to blame for what has happened to us with his greedy nature. As ive said before about ashley we are the football equivalent of one of his shoddy shops.

Regarding a white night coming in for us that aint going to happen m8 not in this climate.
10th February 2010 08:44 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

Quote:His inability to change his game plan was exposed many times including last night.

And that has been the case in a good few games this season.
10th February 2010 08:46 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Last Night

So very positve of you Rotti! Big Grin

I fully agree though and we will not be going anywere as a club while Ashley is owner. That's why I am trying to enjoy this year as much as possible. We know it will all end in tears but we live in hope anyway! Big Grin
10th February 2010 08:49 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

Positive me aye right LOL. personally the only games i expect us not to win are against the likes of WBA but maybe draw against and im the pessimist.

Thats why i get a bit annoyed when we get beat of teams that are in the lower half of the table.
10th February 2010 08:53 PM
14andout Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Last Night

We need a big performance on Saturday though to get this out of our system.
10th February 2010 08:55 PM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter
Last Night

I have just seen Guti's attempted tackle that gave away the penalty.

He should be told NEVER to go into his own penalty box, no common sense whatsoever.
10th February 2010 08:56 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

Think we will get a draw or lose i cant see us winning away to Swansea if we cant get a result at Derby.

We seem to be a home winning team which isnt that good when we are fighting for promotion.
10th February 2010 08:58 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Last Night

I'm not sure where this inability to change his game plan comes from?...I don't think Hughton and Calderwood are as tacticaly naive as some like to make out

I also don't understand how when we are doing well it's down to Smith and Nolan running the show but when we get beats it's because Hughton is tacticaly inept
10th February 2010 09:00 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

Mac why did it take hughton so long to change things he is the manager the buck stops with him m8.

We were 3-0 down before he changed things surely he knew the formation wasnt working long before we gave a goal away why didnt he change it before the 1st goal went in.

Personally id be playing Lovenkrands before best everytime and bring Best on later on for his pace.
10th February 2010 09:08 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Last Night

I just don't think sport in general is a simple as some like to make it out to be mate...

some games go for you some don't........I haven't seen any of the game but going by the stats Lip put up we had more shots on target than them....that suggests things weren't too bad...especially away from home

You'd have to be a miracle worker to predict every eventuality and even the best managers in the world can not always change games
10th February 2010 09:15 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Last Night

McCreery Wrote:I'm not sure where this inability to change his game plan comes from?...I don't think Hughton and Calderwood are as tacticaly naive as some like to make out

Because that's the easy way out.

Simpson is better than LL gives him credit for.

Also, LL has seen enough of Hughton las t year to know he isn't good enough? A handful of games. He cannot be judged on last season.
10th February 2010 09:20 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

But hughton must have known Derby were not going to attack like Cardiff did and when it didnt work why wait to change things.
10th February 2010 09:21 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
Last Night

rotti Wrote:But hughton must have known Derby were not going to attack like Cardiff did and when it didnt work why wait to change things.

Do you really think that takiing Gutierrez or Routledge o even Guthrie off and bring on Smith earlier would make a difference?
10th February 2010 09:25 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

I wouldnt have brought on Ameobi for a start he is too slow. Lovenkrands should have come on when it was known it wasnt working.

He could have changed to a 4-5-1 formation pack the midfield before they scored. He cant be blamed for going with the same team that stuffed Cardiff but to leave the changes till the 67th minute then make 3 substitutions was wrong.
11th February 2010 12:26 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Last Night

but you say it as if that would have definitely put things right mate....who knows?

as I say......there aren't many managers out there that can affect every game by making changes......lets just face facts.....Hughton is Hughton....not Ferguson or Wenger or Mourinho.............he's still obviously learning but he seems to be getting a lot more right than he is wrong at the minute

We will lose games....that is a fact of sport in general but it doesn't always have to boil down to the fact that Hughton has got it disasterously wrong.....shit just happens sometimes
11th February 2010 08:03 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

I think folks need to get on the prozac.

We had no creativity through the middle in the PL, so I really dont see why anyone is surprised that we have no creativity with the same middle men having been relegated.

We have grafters in the middle, and guess what? THEY GRAFT!!!! Yes we need a Fabregas or Arteta sort in there, but we arent going to get a worthy one while in this league.

We are well equipped to grind out results to the end, and thats what I think we will do.

Enough of the woes about the inevitable doom next season, because its pointless. We dont know what will happen, who we will sign, or who our manager will even be, yet people are hell bent on going into suicide mode after being beaten away from home, while we are still no doubt favorites at the bookies to go up!!!!

For fucks sake lads, enjoy the winning season, it may be the last in a long time.
11th February 2010 08:43 AM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
Last Night

My sentiments exactly.
11th February 2010 08:58 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter
Last Night

I'm loving this season I really am, and the hard gritty football with it, even the muddy pitches, its a bit like going back to the 70's when stadiums and pitches were shiteSmile
11th February 2010 08:59 AM
Brassneck

Unregistered

Last Night

i`m enjoying the season vic,..but tuesday was the time to exorcise the horror of our defeat at pride park under allershyte when we were the only team they beat that season,...it must be our jinx club, derby, bastards
11th February 2010 10:59 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

LeazesLoyal Wrote:We are not top any more due to WBA having clawed back our lead, but we are not up there due to performance, more to do with the league being so shyte and our defence being way to good for it.

Yes, but that is the whole point. This is the second division, and we are more than a match for all the teams in it. The league is shite - yes, well that's because they all aren't as good as the Prem.

We have played a containing, grinding style all season and it has put us in the position we are in. I'm at a loss to see whether playing with style or panache has anything to do with what we must achieve as a club this season.

Fair enough LL, if you go to the expense and effort (and are able) to go to many games and it's not the best of entertainment, I empathise with you - but at the end of the day it is a sport, not showbiz, and we are in it to win it this season.

Next season, if we are fortunate to go up at the first time of asking (a magnificent achievement in my book considering the state we were in when we went down as a team) the team and its performances will of course come under a higher level of scrutiny.

But if we only spend one season in the deadzone of the second division I for one will be ecstatic - the last two times I watched us go down it took 5 years each to come back up. I'm getting too old to watch that happen again.
11th February 2010 12:48 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

LeazesLoyal Wrote:Yes Hughton has done well in this league but I saw enough under him last year to know he is well out of his depth up in the Premier like vast majority of squad.

You can't compare Hughton's stinit in the PL last season as to what it would be when/if we go up.

So much has changed, the players are more comfortable playing for him, and judging by the fact they are still here, they are actually willing to play for him.

Add the fact that if we go up we'll be on a high and full of confidence then that'll make a massive difference.
11th February 2010 12:50 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
Last Night

rotti Wrote:No offence like richy but as LL goes to a lot of games his opinions are valued and i dont think its got to do with his high expectations, surely after last season that would have been drummed out of him.

He is seeing the performance 1st hand and not by the radio commentary. This isnt a pop at you m8 just someone going to the game is going to see the performance for what it was.

As somebody else pointed out, the majority of our games have been on telly this season and those that haven't been on telly I've tried to get to. Haven't been to the Stadium as much as others, but I have seen us play quite regularly and I know that we are playing well. In my opinion of course.

Maybe not entertaining, maybe not easy on the eye - but playing effective winning football. And unbeaten at home all season suggests we are playing well. Again, as somebody else said, this is not showbiz, and when the season ends you're judged on league position not how many cheeky backheels you can pull off.

And I'm not sure that the high expectations have been "drummed out of" everyone - there are still far too many people that expect us to piss this league, then tell everybody "we're shite" two seconds after we get beat - most people already know that and have come to terms with it and are actually surprised that we've done so well.
11th February 2010 12:55 PM

Thread Closed