Steven Taylor hoping he has earned place

Thread Closed 

omenator Offline

Owner

STEVEN Taylor hopes that his impressive end to 2010-11 allows him to start next season as Fabricio Coloccini’s first-choice partner at the heart of Newcastle United’s defence.

The homegrown centre-back took advantage of Mike Williamson’s injury to play and score in his last three matches of the campaign.

It was a hat-trick none of his team-mates achieved in the campaign, but Taylor hopes his defensive qualities stick in the mind of manager Alan Pardew.

“It’s a strange time to be finishing the season because I feel as though I’ve just really got my fitness back,” said Taylor, who suffered a hamstring injury in the second half of the season. “I haven’t played anything like as many games as I would have liked, but the manager has been fantastic with me and when I got my chance in the last three matches I’d like to think I took it.

“Who knows who might arrive in the summer, but having ended the season in the team, I’d like to think that shirt is mine at the moment. Hopefully, I’ve let people know that’s my spot, and I’m not about to let anyone take it off me.”

Having missed almost the entire second half of the Championship-winning season through injury, Taylor then dislocated his shoulder at the start of pre-season. Williamson took the opportunity well, until a three-match suspension picked up in Chris Hughton’s final match in charge.

Since then the pair have capitalised on each other’s absences, the last Williamson’s freak gym injury which broke his arm.

“It’s been a difficult season personally because injuries have kept me out of the side,” Taylor reflected. “When I’ve been fit, I’ve generally been fairly happy with how I’ve been playing.

“My first game back was the home draw against Chelsea and I had a little run where I was just starting to feel comfortable again.

“Unfortunately, I got another injury against West Ham, and that’s what kept me out of another run of matches. When I came back, I always felt like I was playing catch-up in terms of everyone else’s level of fitness. When you’ve been out for a while, it’s never easy to pick up the pace straight away.”

Despite it’s conclusion – surrendering a 3-0 lead to miss out on a top-half finish – Taylor was generally pleased with Newcastle’s season.

“It was disappointing just to let them (West Brom) score one goal, so everything that happened after that was obviously a massive let-down,” he said.

“It was a sour note at the finish because that shouldn’t be happening, especially at home. We wanted to finish on a high, in the top half of the table.

“The home form wasn’t what we wanted right the way through the campaign. We would definitely have liked to have picked up a couple more home wins.

“Having said that though, people had us in the relegation battle at the start of the season, so we have to be fairly pleased with finishing 12th. We proved a lot of people wrong.

“We have to kick on and improve next season. The first target has to be finishing above 12th. The players are good enough to do that, and we have great team spirit. When we were in Ireland (during pre-season) as a team we agreed that the priority was avoiding relegation.

“For our first season back in the Premier League, we have to accept that as a decent performance.

“We know how it difficult a league it is, and we can be proud we weren’t one of the five teams fighting for their lives on the final day. It’s not a nice position to be in, as we know here at Newcastle.”
24th May 2011 06:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Steven Taylor hoping he has earned place

Great, lets pick our defenders on their scoring ability. LOL
24th May 2011 06:54 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

not just his goals,..staylor is a better defender that willo
24th May 2011 06:57 PM
Geordie_leg Offline

First Team Regular

I've always been the first to slag off Taylor but recently he's proved me wrong. More the fact he's avoiding trying to to be the centre of attention all the time and taking a back seat, and plus his defendings improved

Decent interview aswell..seems like he's matured
24th May 2011 08:19 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

well he`s had to fight for his place,..(not to me like cos i reckon he`s better than willo anyway) parcunt may prefer williamson with colo and tayls will have to be consistent to keep his place if he gets the nod next season,...competition for places deters complacency
24th May 2011 09:51 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

(24th May 2011 09:51 PM)Brassneck Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.well he`s had to fight for his place,..

Yeah, fight for his place when we are secure from relegation. We let 5 Goals in the last 2 games which is way above the season average.

Williamson is solid and a no nonsense defender, he reads the game well and has many clean sheets to his name this season... unlike Taylor.

Colo and Williamson complement each other well, one attacks the ball and the other reads the game well, Taylor is inbetween.
24th May 2011 10:50 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

(24th May 2011 10:50 PM)NE1 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(24th May 2011 09:51 PM)Brassneck Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.well he`s had to fight for his place,..

Yeah, fight for his place when we are secure from relegation. We let 5 Goals in the last 2 games which is way above the season average.

Williamson is solid and a no nonsense defender, he reads the game well and has many clean sheets to his name this season... unlike Taylor.

Colo and Williamson complement each other well, one attacks the ball and the other reads the game well, Taylor is inbetween.

yeah,..he really looked solid and no-nonsense at anfield like
25th May 2011 06:50 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

They both have their faults, but I think Taylor will be the answer going forward. We did concede 3 at the weekend but to be fair to Taylor it could have been 5 if it werent for his goal line clearances. Cant really twist about conceding 2 away to Chelsea anyway.

The good thing is that both will be well aware that neither of them are first choice as things stand so that should be enough to keep them both on their toes.

Taylor just needs to stay disciplined in terms of his positioning and I think he will be a good player for us going forward.

Having the classy Argy alongside him will do him the world of good too.
25th May 2011 09:04 AM

Thread Closed