Vuckic called up to U21s

Thread Closed 
Vuckic called up to U21s

omenator Offline

Owner
Vuckic called up to U21s

Haris Vuckic was given an early birthday present this week as he was called up for Slovenia's under-21 squad for their forthcoming European Under-21 Championships qualifiers against Malta and the Ukraine.

It seems as if the hugely-talented midfielder has been around for years, but he only turns 19 on Sunday and spoke to nufc.co.uk about his delight at gaining the call-up after injuries hindered his progress last season.

Vuckic was restricted to just three first-team appearances, all in the Carling Cup, while he was also denied a potential full international debut when he had to withdraw from the the Slovenia squad after being an unused substitute against the Faroe Islands in October last year.

However, after overcoming his injuries and following a hugely impressive pre-season which included goals against Columbus Crew and Leeds, he is now back in the international fold having made his under-21 debut last August.

His side face Malta in Corradini on September 1 before hosting the Ukraine on September 6, with the the 2013 championships in Israel the goal.

Vuckic said: "I'm very happy that I'm back for Slovenia, but I'm pleased, too, to have come back in Newcastle's squad. That's the main thing for me, to play well for Newcastle, and the call from the national team comes with it.

"The under-21s has come for me and hopefully the A-team will too. I need to play well for the under-21s and show the national team coach that I can play for the first-team as well.

"So I can't wait for the games to start. We have a very good team this season so we're hoping to win these games and get qualification.

"It's good for me to play for the under-21s, get some national team experience and see the world. I'm just looking forward to training well, keeping fit and being ready for Newcastle and the national team as well."
19th August 2011 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user

Thread Closed