24th May 2009

Thread Closed 
24th May 2009

Venegoor Offline

Captain
24th May 2009

instead of losing 1-0 and dropping, we scrape a 1-1 draw to stop up on goal difference. Where do you think we would be now? Would we have kept the likes of Barton, Nolan, Duff, Martins and Bassong and just trundled along seeing whatwould happen? Or would Ashley have proceeded to break up the squad on wage 'cap' lines regardless?
I hate the phrase 'relegation was what we needed', it was utter hell, but maybe Ashley would have been encouraged just to take the first decent offer and get the fuck out. Maybe even new owners would have kept Shearer on!
29th December 2011 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user
Pablo Offline

First Team Starter
RE: 24th May 2009

All ifs buts and maybes, Ven we will never know

I still think NUFC is an absolute bargain for these Sheikhs and stuff. They want to raise their profile, we are never out of the fucking news. 40-50,00 every week no matter how shit we are treat and all the merchandising spin offs too.

I predict Sheikh something or other will own the club within two years. And probably get Keegan back too
29th December 2011 12:17 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(29th December 2011 12:10 PM)Venegoor Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.instead of losing 1-0 and dropping, we scrape a 1-1 draw to stop up on goal difference. Where do you think we would be now? Would we have kept the likes of Barton, Nolan, Duff, Martins and Bassong and just trundled along seeing whatwould happen? Or would Ashley have proceeded to break up the squad on wage 'cap' lines regardless?
I hate the phrase 'relegation was what we needed', it was utter hell, but maybe Ashley would have been encouraged just to take the first decent offer and get the fuck out. Maybe even new owners would have kept Shearer on!

relegation was what we needed.

I loved our promotion season, and it cleared out a lot of shite. If we had scraped survival would we now be sitting 7th just behind Liverpool? I doubt it somehow.
29th December 2011 12:20 PM
Swyer87 Offline

First Team Starter

Ifs and buts were candy and nuts..... or something like that! I tend to agree with Lip though
29th December 2011 12:21 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

cant believe those who think its better to be top of the championship than mid table mediocrity in the top league

that should be the ambition of the likes of BUrnley, Blackpool not NUFC
29th December 2011 12:28 PM
jones Offline

Youth Team

(29th December 2011 12:10 PM)Venegoor Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.instead of losing 1-0 and dropping, we scrape a 1-1 draw to stop up on goal difference. Where do you think we would be now? Would we have kept the likes of Barton, Nolan, Duff, Martins and Bassong and just trundled along seeing whatwould happen? Or would Ashley have proceeded to break up the squad on wage 'cap' lines regardless?

i think if we had stayed up we would definitley be under different owners.
find it strange that foreign money hasnt took us on in the same way as mancs, chelsea , and however many others.
29th December 2011 12:34 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

I suppose relegation did weed out the spineless fuckers, and much as Nolan and Barton left in contentious circumstances, they at least helped right a wrong. I suspect we'd be where we are now-ish, with maybe a diferent manager than we have now.
29th December 2011 12:37 PM
notts Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Personally I'm glad we went down, I wasn't at the time! But its given us a chance to get rid of anyone who didnt want to be here and its built up a team spirit that hasn't been here for years, with this momentum has won us the Championship and put us in 7th place in the Premiership with a real chance of playing in Europe next season.

I wouldn't want us to turn into a Wigan where our only aim is to only survive, IF we miss out on Europe this season then next season we have to build on what we have and make another challenge next season. I dont think any of this would have been possible had we not gone down.
29th December 2011 12:39 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

(29th December 2011 12:34 PM)jones Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

i think if we had stayed up we would definitley be under different owners.
find it strange that foreign money hasnt took us on in the same way as mancs, chelsea , and however many others.

Amongst many conundrums that this club creates, that is the one single issue that I genuinely cannot fathom. When pumpey where sold 3 times in as many months, I could sort of understand it in the sense that their ground is apparently sited in one of the most sort after i.e lucrative) re-development areas on the south coast. Southampton the same to a lesser degree, but fucking Notts County (even though it turned out to be shite) and citeh???
We are truly sited on an old indian burial ground.
29th December 2011 12:41 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

i suppose its how it is fed to us and what we believe

Relegation is never a good thing no matter what people say

i reckon most liked it not because we played great football but because we had a "bulldog" spirit from the likes of Barton and Nolan, and won more than usual. the football wasnt great, but a local lad up front created havoc against average defenders and gave us some Geordie spirit

Bizaarly Ashley is considered decent becasue he didnt sell everyone and we did go up straight away yet 2 yrs later all the players mentioned are considered greedy money grabbers for asking for contract extensions

it just shows what people will believe
29th December 2011 12:46 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

What the relegation proved conclusively, was that if a player under contract doesn't want to move, even in a lower division, then nothing on earth can make him, in the final analysis, can it Mr.Carroll and Mr.Barton? Ask you former team mate Alan Smith how that works.
29th December 2011 12:53 PM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

That was a very bad day for me that ended up in me being told if I didn't leave town I'd be arrested.

It's all been uphill for the club since then though. It's never nice being relegated and at the time it seemed like the end of the world. I agree with some though that say it was actually good for the club.

We cleared out a lot of over hyped, over payed, over the hill players that were a drain on the club and it set the ball rolling to get us where we are now.
29th December 2011 12:54 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

was there ever an offer for SMithy?
29th December 2011 01:00 PM
wotsits Offline

Youth Team

if, and its a big if, we get european football this season through the league placings then we can most definately say we deserve it and have earned it, not brought it.
that to me is a bigger win than man city lifting the premier league because they brought in players on massive fees and wages because they didnt want to play for them.
ashley out i agree, but a sheikh coming in to play football monopoly can fuck right off imo
29th December 2011 01:03 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

(29th December 2011 01:00 PM)tino Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.was there ever an offer for SMithy?

Smith is an enigma. He never plays (rarely) but at the same time he's raking in all this money for doing sweet fa. What gives with him, and why hasn't he moved on?
29th December 2011 01:54 PM
steadyboopbop Offline

Reserve Team

(29th December 2011 12:17 PM)Pablo Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.All ifs buts and maybes, Ven we will never know

I still think NUFC is an absolute bargain for these Sheikhs and stuff. They want to raise their profile, we are never out of the fucking news. 40-50,00 every week no matter how shit we are treat and all the merchandising spin offs too.

I predict Sheikh something or other will own the club within two years. And probably get Keegan back too

why the fuck would anyone want keegan back
29th December 2011 02:02 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

Why not?
29th December 2011 02:06 PM
Demba Ba Humbug Offline

Reserve Team

If we did not go down that season we would have gone down the season after.
29th December 2011 02:30 PM
jones Offline

Youth Team

(29th December 2011 01:54 PM)Texasmag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(29th December 2011 01:00 PM)tino Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.was there ever an offer for SMithy?

Smith is an enigma. He never plays (rarely) but at the same time he's raking in all this money for doing sweet fa. What gives with him, and why hasn't he moved on?

hes on 60 thousand pounds per week.his carear is all but over having come back from very bad injury's.hes not half the player he once was .will probably do a decent job for rangers when his contract is up.
then his wage will be more like 5 grand a week.
thats why he is still here.the fact is nobody has ever come close with his wage demands.
other than that i quite like him.he did a job of sorts at one time and is apprently a good bloke to have around trainig and the young kids etc
(This post was last modified: 29th December 2011 03:49 PM by jones.)
29th December 2011 03:48 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

I know, but why hasn't he had a wage reduction.
29th December 2011 10:50 PM
Clive Mendonca Offline

Youth Team

I for one don't want a sheik, yankee bigwig or russian oilgarth to come in, throw money at his toy for a while, get bored and then walk away leaving us in turmoil.

Ashley has many minus points but some pluses too. If we can invest in the accadamy, develop within our means and win a cup within a couple of years it would mean more to me than getting 16 players in for £30m each and getting into the Champions league temporaily.

Our development has to be sustainable but we must move forward. I firmly believe that a couple of clubs from the top eight might fall from grace pretty quickly in the next few years, the Bin-Dippers being one. We need to be in a position to exploit that and establish ourselfs as a club challenging for european and domestic honours.
29th December 2011 11:14 PM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter

There are lots of if only moments in our history.

If only Ashley hadn't upped his price so high when the Arabs came calling.

We would be where Citeh are now.

And the Arabs would be getting far far far more value for their investment as the Toon would not have taken so long to sell out of tickets, shirts, everything - unlike them shameless cunts who have only sold out a couple of times at the most.
30th December 2011 01:09 AM

Thread Closed