"Can't score goals"

Thread Closed 
"Can't score goals"

richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Been rading a few threads from over xmas, about the possible (probable) lack of signings, and I've seen a few people complaining at the lack of goals and one post saying something along the lines of "we need players now, we can't score, we've got no creativity" etc.

If we don't sign anybody, is anyone really worried??

I'd hope we could bring in a replacement for Harewood and Khiz, just to add bodies to the squad, but wouldn't be too concerned if we don't.

The posts about us being unable to score are ridiculous. Only two teams have scored more than us in our league, and it's obviously just some people overreacting to two games without a goal. Forgetting that over those two games we hit the bar 3 times, one bouncing onto the line. We had other chances aswell, and although the fact is we didn't take any, it's clear that on another day we could have won both games comfortably.

Nowt to worry about just yet.
7th January 2010 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

Richy man,..the second half v derby we only created 2 fuckin chances..!!!

carrols clever little chip into the box that taylor headed straight at the keeper, and then rangers chance right at the death,..that was it FFS.

Thats not just worrying, its fuckin frightening...!! Rolleyes
7th January 2010 01:51 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Just ignore the first half where we could have 4 or 5 then?

Ryan Taylor had two, Nolan was one on one, Carroll had a couple of headers, Lovenkrands dragged one just wide.

And those 2 chances in the second half would usually hit the back of the net.

Plenty of chances throughout the game and should have won.

The Plymouth game was shocking, but even then we hit the bar from Butt, post from Pancrate and he wasted a couple of sitters. Again, on another day it could have been a comfortable win.

I realise they both turned out to be shite, but chances were there, and the fact we're 3rd top scorers in the league proves that we are usually capable of taking chances. Was just two bad games in a very long season.
7th January 2010 01:59 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

No,..the reason we only had two chances was cos we struggled to get the ball, Derbys confidence grew and grew as it dawned on them that we weren`t actually as brilliant as our position in the league would suggest,..and that will happen more and more as the season progresses unless we start putting these teams away.
7th January 2010 02:04 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
"Can't score goals"

3 players down and no reall sign of anyone coming in

5 more games to play this month until the window shuts.....they'd better get there fingers out and replace them cos regardless of what others say about our squad being far stronger than others I personally think it's shite bar the obvious 5 or 6 'top' players we have

I apologise for the bad English in that statement but I'm busy at graft and it was just a quicky
7th January 2010 02:09 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Quote:Derbys confidence grew and grew as it dawned on them that we weren`t actually as brilliant as our position in the league would suggest,..and that will happen more and more as the season progresses unless we start putting these teams away.

People said that after we drew with QPR and Bristol City at home.

"Oh shit, teams have found us out"

Then we lost at Forest and Scunthorpe and those predictions were apparently right and we were fucked, despite signs that we could score goals and were just having bad days.

We then went on a run of 9 wins or something. Lets hope that happens again, starting with a win at Reading, if it isn't postponed.
(This post was last modified: 7th January 2010 02:15 PM by richyNUFC.)
7th January 2010 02:11 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

McCreery Wrote:3 players down and no reall sign of anyone coming in

5 more games to play this month until the window shuts.....they'd better get there fingers out and replace them cos regardless of what others say about our squad being far stronger than others I personally think it's shite bar the obvious 5 or 6 'top' players we have

I apologise for the bad English in that statement but I'm busy at graft and it was just a quicky

I think the only place we need to worry about is defence, that is very weak, and with Simpson's loan finishing on the 18th we'll definitely need some strengthening.

But that's nowt to do with us apparently not being able to score goals.
7th January 2010 02:14 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

we don`t know for certain if beckford will be the answer, but he will be a better bet than what we have at the minute, to be fair shola only looks like scoring when he feels like it, and carrol and ranger haven`t set this league alight yet,..if beckford falls thru, get harewood back,...we will drop down the league like a stone if we don`t score goals
7th January 2010 02:17 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
"Can't score goals"

I think it's a problem Richy....Carroll has scored 4 all season......Shola seems capable but his fitness seems a bit iffy

Ranger doesn't look ready yet and the only other goals have come from Nolan

everybody was clamouring for Ranger to play upfront with Carroll but they are our weakest front two

I'm not panicking yet but Harewood will take some replacing in reality
7th January 2010 02:18 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Brassneck Wrote:we don`t know for certain if beckford will be the answer, but he will be a better bet than what we have at the minute, to be fair shola only looks like scoring when he feels like it, and carrol and ranger haven`t set this league alight yet,..if beckford falls thru, get harewood back,...

We've lost Harewood, he only gave us 5 goals.

Shola can 'only score when he feels like it'? A goal a game man, it's his fitness that has let him down, not his goalscoring.

Brassneck Wrote:we will drop down the league like a stone if we don`t score goals

No shit. We can score goals though, that's my point, only two teams have outscored us.

McCreery Wrote:I think it's a problem Richy....Carroll has scored 4 all season......Shola seems capable but his fitness seems a bit iffy

Ranger doesn't look ready yet and the only other goals have come from Nolan

everybody was clamouring for Ranger to play upfront with Carroll but they are our weakest front two

I'm not panicking yet but Harewood will take some replacing in reality

Harewood only scored 5 of our goals. We've scored 39. It's not really a massive loss. We've only failed to score in 3 games out of 24 in the league, and only two teams have outscored us.

Not that much of a problem.
7th January 2010 02:24 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

"We've lost Harewood, he only gave us 5 goals. "

hughton will bring him back if the beckford deal fucks up,..i never said i liked the bloke, but during the last few games he was scoring, since he left we haven`t scored,....you do the maths
7th January 2010 02:29 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

I'd really not complain if we get Harewood back as he can finish and has proven to be quite handy in that area, despite his lack of effect in other ares.

If it's Beckford that'd be even better though.

But I also wouldn't complain if we don't bring any strikers in.

It's easy to look at results since Harewood left and say we can't score since his departure, but the results don't tell the full story. We had chances to score goals and they weren't just a few half chances, they were either unlucky or embarrassingly wasted. Chances that would be scored in most games.

Look at the Forest game, the apparently god-like Harewood missed a sitter that would have put us ahead. The Bristol City game beforehand, he hit the post. Both games we failed to score, thanks to an embarrassing miss, and an unlucky one. Shit happens.
7th January 2010 07:09 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
"Can't score goals"

hehe....nobody is saying Harewood is God like Richy

I nailed my colours firmly to the mast when Harewood was getting all the grief when playing along side Carroll.....The two obviously weren't working together but it was Harewood getting all the shit................I stated that I thought Harewood was the better striker of the two and I've seen absolutely nothing from Carroll since to change my mind

Fair enough if you don't see Carroll and Ranger as a problem playing upfront together (they've got a combined total of 5 I think it is)....but I certainly see it as one
(This post was last modified: 8th January 2010 08:48 AM by McCreery.)
8th January 2010 08:37 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter
"Can't score goals"

If Nolan gets injured then we are fucked unless something is done, its suicidal to rely on a midfielder for goals.

I'm not sure about Carroll, as Macca said Shola's fitness is a worry and Ranger holds the ball up and works his arse off but not sure he will be a goalscorer.
8th January 2010 09:24 AM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Vic is correct we need to worry if Nolan gets injured. By the way Vic did you know the man in your Avatar was a fruit HEHEHE.
8th January 2010 12:46 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

i don`t beleeeeeeeeeive it..!!
8th January 2010 12:47 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

McCreery Wrote:hehe....nobody is saying Harewood is God like Richy

I nailed my colours firmly to the mast when Harewood was getting all the grief when playing along side Carroll.....The two obviously weren't working together but it was Harewood getting all the shit................I stated that I thought Harewood was the better striker of the two and I've seen absolutely nothing from Carroll since to change my mind

Fair enough if you don't see Carroll and Ranger as a problem playing upfront together (they've got a combined total of 5 I think it is)....but I certainly see it as one

We have four strikers, two of which are similar, Carroll and Ranger, one with pace, Lovenkrands, and one who seems to have found his level, Shola.

How often have Carroll and Ranger played together? Not that often is it, maybe they'll work well together, I can't "see it as a problem" until I've seen them given a good runout as a partnership. I do agree though, that the pair of them might not play well together, but they play well as a lone striker, with Nolan or Lovenkrands running behind them for flick ons.

With Shola getting plenty goals in this division aswell, I don't really see much problems.

I can't see how we can complain about a lack of goals when we've failed to score in only 3 league games and are 3rd top scorers in the league. Ok, we've lost a striker, but he'd only gave us 5 goals. Even if I blank out the rest of the season and only look at the last two games, we still created enough to see some positives and see that goals will come.

Carroll and Ranger might not score many goals, but they do create a lot for others and give defenders a lot to think about.
(This post was last modified: 8th January 2010 01:23 PM by richyNUFC.)
8th January 2010 01:19 PM
jack Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
"Can't score goals"

hahahaha....and u took the piss out of me for having a pop.............have a listen to the moans n groans on here now..

oh just to point out..

we still have the best defensive record in the ccc
we are the highest scorer's in the ccc..
and where "fucked2
"doomed"
"shite"

behave ursens and get behind the club ffs.
8th January 2010 05:06 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
"Can't score goals"

painters in ??
8th January 2010 08:54 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Quote:painters in ??

Dont know Mac but i wouldnt mind a lend of his ladders my sky dish is fucked up.
8th January 2010 09:08 PM
DML2 Offline

Youth Team
"Can't score goals"

You have to remember the standard of competition in this league.

Unless Forest or WBA sign someone like Drogba, Thierry Henri or Wayne Rooney we will be fine.
8th January 2010 09:19 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
"Can't score goals"

the reason we are doing so well is that we aren't conceding goals and were scoring quite freely

we'll still not concede many but even if Shola stays fit we still need another out and out goal scorer to see us through the season

in my opinion of course.

(This post was last modified: 8th January 2010 09:37 PM by McCreery.)
8th January 2010 09:31 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

We have not had an out and out goal scorer since Owen pissed off we really need someone in that can score goals.

Ranger not getting the games to prove he can bag the goals. Ameobi cant fault him with his goal scoring so far but he isnt an out and out goal scorer. Carroll well he is simply not good enough for me.

What does it say when a midfielder is our top goal scorer we really need to bring beckford in to see if the kid can bag us the goals we need.
8th January 2010 09:37 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

richyNUFC Wrote:We have four strikers, two of which are similar, Carroll and Ranger, one with pace, Lovenkrands, and one who seems to have found his level, Shola.

Nice to see we still aren't scoring goals...

3-0...and that's without Shola, and Harewood obviously...surely these four strikers are enough, if the Beckford deal goes tits up?
14th January 2010 10:29 AM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

richyNUFC Wrote:Nice to see we still aren't scoring goals...

3-0...and that's without Shola, and Harewood obviously...surely these four strikers are enough, if the Beckford deal goes tits up?

it seemed the key last night was the performance of guti, and obviously lovers awareness and clinical finishing,..but guti has been our weak link in many games, and if he can start hitting a bit of form now......??!!
14th January 2010 10:51 AM
Lucian Offline

First Team Starter
"Can't score goals"

And Pancrate on the right his pace and awareness caused mayhem for there defence.

so it proves get 2 players on either flank with skill and pace you going to create load of chances like we did we should of scored a lot more last night..
14th January 2010 10:59 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Brassneck Wrote:it seemed the key last night was the performance of guti, and obviously lovers awareness and clinical finishing,..but guti has been our weak link in many games, and if he can start hitting a bit of form now......??!!

Lucian Wrote:And Pancrate on the right his pace and awareness caused mayhem for there defence.

so it proves get 2 players on either flank with skill and pace you going to create load of chances like we did we should of scored a lot more last night..

To be honest, the main factor was just how bad Plymouth were Big Grin

But aye, the two wingers gave them a lot to think about, and Enrique, and when R. Taylor got forward, because he can put in a good delivery and they'd be aware of that so had to work hard to stop him crossing.

Even in the middle though, we just keeping things simple, with a few nice one-twos carving them open, Carroll doing well in a physical battle with both their big centre backs, and Lovenkrands moving onto the wings to link up with Guti/Pancrate and then getting into good positions in the box. It all caused problems for them and they had a lot to think about. Not just Guti.

Everythings was good, but a lot of that is probably down to Plymouth.
14th January 2010 11:04 AM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"Can't score goals"

i didn`t mean that guti was the only player who did well,..what i meant was that when he does turn it on, which is very rare, he can do some damage, hopefully he can go on a run of games where he dominates the play instead of just falling over and losing possession all the time
14th January 2010 11:09 AM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular
"Can't score goals"

Brassneck Wrote:i didn`t mean that guti was the only player who did well,..what i meant was that when he does turn it on, which is very rare, he can do some damage, hopefully he can go on a run of games where he dominates the play instead of just falling over and losing possession all the time

Aye hopefully.
14th January 2010 11:14 AM
wotsits Offline

Youth Team
"Can't score goals"

personally i would try and get beattie on loan for 6 months who would score goals and help the younger strikers
then in the summer see where we are and who is available at the right price and get players in that will make a difference.

we need imo a striker a cb and a winger that produces

beattie loan, ??, pederson 1-2 mil

beattie & pederson can cut it in the prem so would be good additions and both would be cheap.
14th January 2010 11:31 AM

Thread Closed