Should Perch play the Tiote role against Villa?

Thread Closed 

ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Could argue it's worth a shout, we just look too wide open in central midfield without Mr T, we need a ball winner in there, someone to break the opposition up.
(This post was last modified: 2nd February 2012 01:36 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
2nd February 2012 01:35 AM
Find all posts by this user
Sal Offline

First Team Regular
RE: Should Perch play the Tiote role against Villa?

I think he has to, certainly for the next 2 games while both Tiote and Cabaye are not available.
2nd February 2012 01:38 AM
davidturner151

Unregistered

yep agree
2nd February 2012 01:45 AM
Dean20m Offline

Reserve Team

Why not Ben Guthrie & Raylor with Ben Arfa on the Right and Guti on the Left, or Raylor and Ben Arfa switching positions, i think people are getting carried away with Perch, and it won't be long before people are calling for his head again, can't see where he's improved myself, late sub at best in my opinion.
2nd February 2012 08:32 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

(2nd February 2012 08:32 AM)Dean20m Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Why not Ben Guthrie & Raylor with Ben Arfa on the Right and Guti on the Left, or Raylor and Ben Arfa switching positions, i think people are getting carried away with Perch, and it won't be long before people are calling for his head again, can't see where he's improved myself, late sub at best in my opinion.

Raylor is no central midfielder, he gives away too many clumsy free kicks and it takes away his big asset - Decent deliveries from wide positions.

HBA playing in the middle alongside Guthrie is suicide and we would be totally overrun.

Its not about being carried away with Perch, its just acknowledging that unless Abeid is showing his worth in the reserves then we really dont have another option because Gosling is clearly not fancied by Pardew.
2nd February 2012 08:49 AM
Ryton Mag Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

What's wrong with Gosling then ? Does Pardew not rate him or is he no good for CM ?
2nd February 2012 08:57 AM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

I wouldn't have HBA playing in the next game at all. I'd have a midfield of Raylor, Guthrie, Perch, Jonas.

HBA shows the odd moment of brilliance but he's not the player I had hoped he would be. I can honestly see him leaving in the summer.
2nd February 2012 08:57 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

(2nd February 2012 08:57 AM)Ryton Mag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.What's wrong with Gosling then ? Does Pardew not rate him or is he no good for CM ?

Well if he was going to throw him into the fold, it would have been ahead of Raylor while both Tiote & Cabaye are out.

(2nd February 2012 08:57 AM)Irish Magpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I wouldn't have HBA playing in the next game at all. I'd have a midfield of Raylor, Guthrie, Perch, Jonas.

HBA shows the odd moment of brilliance but he's not the player I had hoped he would be. I can honestly see him leaving in the summer.

Far far far too soon to be saying that sort of thing!

This is his first season over here and to be fair to him, he has only just started getting a run of games while we have no decent forwards in the team and the formation is confusing all of them!

There is plenty to come from HBA and its up to Pardew to get it from him.
2nd February 2012 09:04 AM
Swyer87 Offline

First Team Starter

I think Perch has improved as of late and probably deserves a starting place against villa.

However i think we are too quick to jump on HBA, technically it is still his first season in the PL and we know how hard it can be to adjust for some foreigners.
Beat me to it Sal Smile
(This post was last modified: 2nd February 2012 09:08 AM by Swyer87.)
2nd February 2012 09:08 AM
Demba Ba Humbug Offline

Reserve Team

Am I the only one who thinks we are actualy better without Ben Arfa? Great player but we look much better without him in the side. We can then play a 442 with Jonas and Taylor/Obertan providing service to Ba and Cisse. Pardew has had to change tactics to accommodate Hatem Ben Arfa and it has not worked.
(This post was last modified: 2nd February 2012 12:08 PM by Demba Ba Humbug.)
2nd February 2012 12:00 PM
davidturner151

Unregistered

i do not understand where all this "you have to change tactics to accommodate ben arfa" has come from. HBA prefers to play off the 1 striker so thats just a normal 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or his best performances have been on the right wing which again is 4-4-2.
he has been crap the last few games because he is playing in a nothing posistion where he doesnt get the space that he gets on the right wing or the chance to link with the striker often.
2nd February 2012 12:38 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

I thought he has been playing on the right wing?
The reason he's been shite is purely his fault, not tactics.
(This post was last modified: 2nd February 2012 01:06 PM by richyNUFC.)
2nd February 2012 01:05 PM
davidturner151

Unregistered

he has been playing on the right side of a 3 man midfield not on the right wing.
play him in a posistion he is comfortable with and see how shit he is
2nd February 2012 01:13 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

On the right of either a FIVE man midfield or the right of three FORWRDS. It's still the right wing to me...

Running the ball out of play, beating your man five times before losing it, getting tackled whilst trying something fancy...nothing to do with position.

He is a class player. But he needs to learn that he can't do the fancy stuff anywhere and anytime he likes.

And if he does fuck up once, instead of trying to make amends, he should try and keep things simple for a while!
2nd February 2012 01:16 PM
davidturner151

Unregistered

oh yeah i wont argue with you that he was shit last night but id rather play a off form ben arfa in the 2nd striker role rather than a off form ameobi or best.
2nd February 2012 01:26 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Definitely!
2nd February 2012 01:27 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

He hasnt been playing on the right wing like.

He is on the right of an odd formation which has only really worked for 40 minutes against Fulham. He hasnt been the only one playing badly in that setup. In fact, we have been largely ineffective for quite a while now.

I would be pointing at the forwards.
2nd February 2012 01:43 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

If Obertan had played as bad as Ben Arfa has in the last 3 games, he'd have been slated, and rightly so.

Ben Arfa scored a class goal against Fulham, but that's it, he didn't have a good game. Since the Blackburn game he's been poor and deserved to be subbed at half time.

Whether it's 'right of an odd formation' or not, it's still the right and in my opinion that gives him the license to play as a right winger and he hasn't been doing it. I think the whole point of putting Guti in the middle is so that he can track back on Ben Arfa's behalf...

Guti has clearly been affected by the formation. Ben Arfa has just been poor cause he's trying to be fancy and selfish. Hope he sorts it out soon.
PS. I agree that bad finishing has played a part in the losses, I'm not blaming Ben Arfa for the defeats...just saying he's been shit.
(This post was last modified: 2nd February 2012 01:52 PM by richyNUFC.)
2nd February 2012 01:51 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

He has been shit, and without wanting to sound like his mam or something - So has every other offensive player that has tried to play in that set up.

I didnt go to the Blackburn cup game, but from what I gather, it was a second half of a normal 4 4 2 with Jonas on one side and HBA on the other and it worked?

If thats the case, then why fuck about just in case he doesnt track back?
2nd February 2012 01:57 PM
davidturner151

Unregistered

just because he is on the right side of the pitch doesnt mean he is playing at right wing! even if he was playing at right wing that isnt his preferred posistion anyway.
which is also why HBA is getting alot more slack than obertan because obertans preferred posistion is the right wing.
i also dont understand where this belief has come from that ben arfa doesnt track back? he does just as much as any other attacking player and 10X more than ameobi.
2nd February 2012 02:02 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Wasn't on the wing in what sense? Was I imagining him being out wide on the right before cutting inside? And then moved on to the left wing for a short period. Yes he cuts in a lot but for me, if you're attacking down the right touch line then that's a winger?

Whatever, thats irrelevant. He's been shit whether it is right wing or right side...

And yes other players have been affected by the formation, Guti and Best.

But in Ben Arfa's case I don't think it is due to the formation that he constantly gives the ball away or runs out of play...
And while Ben Arfa does track back, he has no defensive awareness, which is fair enough as he's a forward.
(This post was last modified: 2nd February 2012 02:16 PM by richyNUFC.)
2nd February 2012 02:14 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(2nd February 2012 08:57 AM)Ryton Mag Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.What's wrong with Gosling then ? Does Pardew not rate him or is he no good for CM ?

yes, I was wondering about Gosling. Some big games coming up and perhaps Pardew thinks its too big a risk? But he's a big lad and he has to play him at some point or why sign him.
2nd February 2012 08:32 PM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

Pardew didn't sign him though did he? You see it at a lot of clubs, one manager might rate a player and the next one doesn't so he gets very little game time.

Plus he was a young promising English player available on a free transfer.
2nd February 2012 08:44 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(2nd February 2012 08:44 PM)Irish Magpie Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Pardew didn't sign him though did he? You see it at a lot of clubs, one manager might rate a player and the next one doesn't so he gets very little game time.

Plus he was a young promising English player available on a free transfer.

Bloke at work is an Evertonian. He was gutted Gosling left and thought he was a brilliant prospect.
2nd February 2012 08:46 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Maybe the injuries have halted his progress and he won't be as good as the potential suggested.
2nd February 2012 10:19 PM
aphradax Offline

Youth Team

Super Tim
simmo Will Colo Santon
Perch
Obertan Guthrie Guti
Ba Cisse

3-0 to the toon

I think perch is definitely improving, and derserves the chance.
2nd February 2012 10:57 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(2nd February 2012 10:57 PM)aphradax Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Super Tim
simmo Will Colo Santon
Perch
Obertan Guthrie Guti
Ba Cisse

3-0 to the toon

I think perch is definitely improving, and derserves the chance.

Id rather stick with 442

simmo Will Colo Santon

Raylor Perch Guthrie Guti
Ba Cisse

I think Obertan and Ben Arfa make good subs at the moment.
2nd February 2012 11:07 PM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

I dont think Cisse will be starting.

Krul

Simpson
Williamson
Coloccini
Santon

Raylor
Perch
Guthrie
Jonas

HBA

BA

Bench..
Harper
Kadar
Gosling
Obertan
Vuckic / Ferguson
Best / Shola / Lovenkrands
Cisse

Once we have Cabaye & Tiote in there too we will be pretty damn strong.
3rd February 2012 09:48 AM
Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman

No
3rd February 2012 10:33 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Krul

Simpson Williamson Colo Santon

Raylor Guthrie Perch Jonas

Cisse Ba
3rd February 2012 12:20 PM

Thread Closed