Idiots - in their position they need players like Barton on their side,

****puts tin hat on******
21st March 2012 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user
Tiger Balm Offline

Youth Team
RE: Barton booed by QPR fans

Agreed, they probably do need him.

We've not really missed him though have we?
21st March 2012 11:20 PM
Tiger Balm Offline

Youth Team

Agreed, they probably do need him.

We've not really missed him though have we?
21st March 2012 11:20 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

I like Barton. I know he's been getting grief off QPR fans on his twitter.
21st March 2012 11:22 PM
mikeydad Offline

Reserve Team

Not my point whether we have missed him - I'm saying that you would want him on your side in the trenches, that's all
21st March 2012 11:23 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

they scored 3 goals as soon as he left the pitch tonight.

I quite liked him when he was here - eventually. He was effective in a team that fitted in with his type of skills. But he is limited. Take away the twitter hype, the big mouth, the baggage and what does he give to a team? He'll be on a massive screw at QPR, and unfortunately for him he may be a victim of his own hype.

For slightly different reasons Kevin Nolan is getting stick from West Ham fans. "Slow" "overpaid" "what does he do" some of the comments I've heard.

I think like all good clubs we got rid of the pair of them at just the right time. Timing is everything in team building.
21st March 2012 11:26 PM
mikeydad Offline

Reserve Team

OK, Fair play BUT PR and Wer Spam aren't top 7 teams. Maybe Hughes had the wrong players on the pitch at the start but that's not to say he took the right player off - Barton's attitude when his back is to the wall has always been great - I like him even though he has some ....erm.....shortcomings.
21st March 2012 11:31 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(21st March 2012 11:31 PM)mikeydad Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.OK, Fair play BUT PR and Wer Spam aren't top 7 teams. Maybe Hughes had the wrong players on the pitch at the start but that's not to say he took the right player off - Barton's attitude when his back is to the wall has always been great - I like him even though he has some ....erm.....shortcomings.

I agree to a certain degree - he was instrumental in the 4-4 comeback for instance. But equally I recall him going walkabout in many games.

One thing that makes me think he is not the player a lot of people (and him) thinks he is was when he was available for a free from us. Regardless of his off the field behaviour a big team would have signed him if he had the skill. Just look at Tevez at City! Pride is a moveable feast if a club thinks a player is worth the effort.
21st March 2012 11:54 PM
Tiger Balm Offline

Youth Team

(21st March 2012 11:23 PM)mikeydad Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Not my point whether we have missed him - I'm saying that you would want him on your side in the trenches, that's all

I never said it was your point. I agree they do need him.

I asked a seperate question that we haven't missed him when it was debated heavily on here that we would and we shouldn't have sold him.

I thought we would miss him and i kind of like him. Still think he would have given us options but that takes us back into the argument of salaries and squad size and mike ashley raking it in....
22nd March 2012 01:59 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

I like Barton and thought we should have found a way to keep him at the time.

However results and performances speak for themselves, his constant 'look at me' attitude be it on or off the pitch must be tiresome for his team mates and coaches. He quoted Lambias on Twitter at one point and scoffed at the suggestion that NUFC were after younger, better and cheaper players. Well enter Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, and Papis Cisse - All are far better players and are being paid significantly less than Barton was here.

He is reportedly getting £80k a week at QPR, we can (and have since got) get two better players than him that are professional and committed for those sorts of wages.

I bet the bloke regrets his public attacks on his former employers now while he looks at the league table and takes stick off the QPR fans.
22nd March 2012 08:16 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

I think we got rid of precisely at the right time, he and Nolan had done what they could for us. Easy to say in hindsight though. There was a home loss recently or was it a draw when I commented that we missed a Barton type influence to turn the game around, no-one commented though.

In the past now though.
22nd March 2012 08:21 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

When the chips are down you do need a leader in there to do some tub-thumping and maybe leave their foot in on the opposition players to mix things up, especially away from home. Barton and Nolan were both great for that, no doubt.
22nd March 2012 08:26 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

and Sal, I'm not sure we have that player at the moment.
22nd March 2012 08:30 AM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter

Maybe our position in the table suggests we are better without that sort of player
22nd March 2012 08:33 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

quite possibly.
22nd March 2012 08:35 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

I dunno, in Saylor, Tiote and Cabaye we probably have those attributes between them. But you are right, we dont have a Keane / Viera sort among the squad, but to be fair not many teams do.
22nd March 2012 08:36 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

now you mention Saylor, yes he is the flag waving type. As Lewis says we have done well without a tough guy, but once or twice in recent months I have felt we needed one.
22nd March 2012 08:47 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

I disagree, I think we have done dreadfully without Saylor. We have been sneaking points and our league position is great, but in truth I am never confident with the defence anymore.

The sooner we get over that finishing line the better for me, if we can indeed get into Europe then we have a big opportunity to push on, far more so than if next season is just another league and domestic cup campaign.
22nd March 2012 08:58 AM
Swyer87 Offline

First Team Starter

I agree with LIP, Barton is very limited! We are all the better for it getting rid of him at the time we did. Regardless of his footballing talent though, he is a prick that i am glad to say we dont have to worry about no more!
22nd March 2012 08:59 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

I can't wait for Saylor to return, non of us would have been saying that 2 years ago. Williamson makes me piss my pants.
22nd March 2012 09:04 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

He makes me shit mine.
22nd March 2012 09:10 AM
Tinosghost Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Williamson makes me shit sick and sick shit!
22nd March 2012 09:52 AM
Pablo Offline

First Team Starter

I have just watched last nights MOTD and granted it was only brief highlights but he did give the ball away a lot and on one occasion gave it away under no pressure and stood and watched it, Liverpool actually score from the resulting corner

I didnt mind him at Newcastle but he was hardly one of my all time favs and I wasnt gutted to see him go.
22nd March 2012 03:42 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

(22nd March 2012 08:58 AM)Sal Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I disagree, I think we have done dreadfully without Saylor. We have been sneaking points and our league position is great, but in truth I am never confident with the defence anymore.

The sooner we get over that finishing line the better for me, if we can indeed get into Europe then we have a big opportunity to push on, far more so than if next season is just another league and domestic cup campaign.

Agree, Williamson is very low on confidence, particularly at home, and the sooner Saylor gets back the better, hopefully returning to the form he was in.
22nd March 2012 06:11 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Statistically, he is the worst passer in the Premiership..

368 wayward passes, so stick that in ya opta index Allardyce..!!!
22nd March 2012 07:20 PM
Geordie_leg Offline

First Team Regular

This says it all

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
23rd March 2012 06:24 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

Saylor's absence has had an effect on the whole team I reckon. I heard somewhere that the rest of the team use Colo and Saylor as references for positioning with and without the ball. Also Colo signals when it's time to break and instead of sideways passes to feet the ball is played longer for players to run at, otherwise they'll pass the ball about drawing the opposition out of formation. But since Christmas he seems to have lost his ability to read the game.
23rd March 2012 08:29 AM

Thread Closed