First half was a worry

Thread Closed 
First half was a worry

LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter
First half was a worry

Despite the goal lead I was convinced we would concede. Well done lads - sterling performance - you didn't give an inch.

What a result. Hats off.
6th April 2012 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user
Swyer87 Offline

First Team Starter
RE: First half was a worry

tbh although they basically had 80% possession i thought we looked relatively comfortable, never scared us once if im honest
(This post was last modified: 6th April 2012 06:33 PM by Swyer87.)
6th April 2012 06:28 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

two points for me

1) as I said yesterday - I think this "possession at all costs" tactic is a blind alley and as stultifying as a bad long ball team in its own way

2) away matches are always tough. Any win is good, in fact any goal is good. Thats the way football has always been. Man U dont win titles by worrying how they play away from home - its the results that count.
6th April 2012 06:31 PM
amble_ball Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

aye they had all the ball but we were happy to let them fanny around with it. defence were confident and solid
6th April 2012 06:32 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(6th April 2012 06:32 PM)amble_ball Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.aye they had all the ball but we were happy to let them fanny around with it. defence were confident and solid

even the best can be beaten. I can remember Mourinho's Inter side beating Barcelona.

What really annoys me with Barcelona is this opinion that they are the pinnacle of football. It is a style of play and one that has some of the world's greats.

Football is a brilliant sport because it can be played in many different ways.

If Barcelona becomes the only way to play I for one would stop watching football. I like headers and I like tackles and I like long through balls and crosses to a centre forward - not always but as part of your game. We proved today that tappy lappy sides can be beaten with incisive forward play.
6th April 2012 06:39 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

the tactic was to let them have the ball, their manager said they outplayed us, no they didn't, they were just passing it back and sideways not even pulling us out of position. The times they looked dangerous was when they went long! I was delighted to see them passing it short, they were getting no where.

Great counter-attacking performance.
6th April 2012 06:42 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(6th April 2012 06:42 PM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.the tactic was to let them have the ball, their manager said they outplayed us, no they didn't, they were just passing it back and sideways not even pulling us out of position. The times they looked dangerous was when they went long! I was delighted to see them passing it short, they were getting no where.

Great counter-attacking performance.

spot on - I got it half right... Smile

"I'm more than happy to watch Swansea run pretty little triangles over the pitch as long as when we do get the ball we quickly get it up the other end and score. 4 times will do me!"

Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(This post was last modified: 6th April 2012 06:46 PM by The_Flaming_Lip.)
6th April 2012 06:45 PM
LALASAM Offline

First Team Starter

I agree - although it took me 40 mins to realise that. Just because they had possession meant nowt. They fannied on all day without doing a thing. When you look at the likes of Dyer and Routlede you would think we gave them too much respect as they spoiled everything they touched.
6th April 2012 06:48 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

(6th April 2012 06:48 PM)LALASAM Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I agree - although it took me 40 mins to realise that. Just because they had possession meant nowt. They fannied on all day without doing a thing. When you look at the likes of Dyer and Routlede you would think we gave them too much respect as they spoiled everything they touched.

it was just like one of our Championship games. Often the opposition played some lovely football but they never had a decent striker and we did. Exactly like today.

I suspect once people get used to how to handle Swansea like we did today they will struggle next season. Well done Pardew - tactics spot on.
6th April 2012 06:53 PM
Wally McFool Offline

Reserve Team

Did Swansea have a shot from inside the pelanty box cos I cant remember one.
6th April 2012 07:18 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

probably one of our most comfortable wins of the season, i am usually always on edge during the game, i still was but not as much as other games, they never looked like hurting us.... they can pass it on the halfway line all they want.
6th April 2012 07:22 PM
guff Offline

First Team Regular

(6th April 2012 07:18 PM)Wally McFool Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Did Swansea have a shot from inside the pelanty box cos I cant remember one.

[Image: 06xsN.png]

Didn't do a lot in our box.
6th April 2012 09:24 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

To busy colouring in by the looks of it.
6th April 2012 09:34 PM
carters Offline

Reserve Team

(6th April 2012 06:53 PM)The_Flaming_Lip Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(6th April 2012 06:48 PM)LALASAM Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I agree - although it took me 40 mins to realise that. Just because they had possession meant nowt. They fannied on all day without doing a thing. When you look at the likes of Dyer and Routlede you would think we gave them too much respect as they spoiled everything they touched.

it was just like one of our Championship games. Often the opposition played some lovely football but they never had a decent striker and we did. Exactly like today.

I suspect once people get used to how to handle Swansea like we did today they will struggle next season. Well done Pardew - tactics spot on.

good post flamin'....but can you imagine if swansea had people who could actually put the ball away....barcelona like'.....spanish football/ newcastle football..its the way forward for me..
6th April 2012 09:48 PM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

it's not anything like Barcelona, Barcelona don't just pass it for the sake of passing, they go back and sideways when needed, but always look forward first and to get in behind the opposition defence. Swansea were doing it even when there was a chance of going forward, i was loving it especially as we were in the lead, i felt more nervous the few times they did go long.

They aren't even good to watch for me, any team could pass it along the backline and midfield all day without any pressure on them, we didn't need to pressure them as we already had the lead, they were basically clueless and passed it for the sake of it, had they mixed their play up a bit it might have caused us problems, not that i'm bothered, anther 3 points!
it's no wonder that Leon Britton has the best pass completion rate in Europe, just keeps passing it back and sideways all game, doesn't make him a good player.
(This post was last modified: 6th April 2012 10:26 PM by ToonArmy1892.)
6th April 2012 10:06 PM
merlin Offline

Youth Team

Swansea were a lesser version of what WE were like when KK was first in charge...we played fast attacking football and Keegan always put the accent of keeping the ball which was why the training always included a lot of 5 a sides.
The main difference was that we had players like Ferdinand, Ginola and Beardsley who could really hurt the opposition because they were dangerous in and around the box.

This game did remind me a bit of the one where we threw the title away in 96 against Man U at SJP...we dominated them as much as Swansea did us on possession, but we got caught by that sucker punch from Cantona after a corner and couldn't break them down. We DID have chances though and Schmeichel played a blinder for Man u whereas Swansea had few real chances yesterday and Krul was nowhere near as busy as Schmeichel had been for Man U.

Swansea's game is limited because they haven't got players like Cisse or Ba up front but I still reckon we would score goals even if we played more of a possession game...we would give less away as well(think Fulham and Norwich) if we kept possession better at the back - AND front because if the ball is hoofed up to Ba and Cisse they usually lose it because the m/f is slow in supporting them. Look what happened when Cabaye got up to support the attack against Swansea...a great pass in to Cisse and goal No 2.
7th April 2012 03:39 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

(6th April 2012 09:34 PM)Venegoor Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.To busy colouring in by the looks of it.

Big Grin
7th April 2012 09:22 AM
amble_ball Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

(7th April 2012 09:22 AM)The Steve Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(6th April 2012 09:34 PM)Venegoor Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.To busy colouring in by the looks of it.

Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
7th April 2012 03:09 PM

Thread Closed