Debuchy keen on Toon switch

Thread Closed 

Sal Offline

First Team Regular

N-DEMAND defender Mathieu Debuchy wants to snub Continental interest and move to Newcastle United this summer, The Journal can reveal.

Fancy a Bet? Free £25 Bet with Blue Square
Having already opened negotiations with Lille, United want to double Debuchy’s Ligue 1 wages and offer him a five-year deal to join their French revolution.

They believe the move would have already been concluded if it had not been for his sudden elevation to France’s first-choice right-back following an injury to Arsenal’s Bacary Sagna.

His fine performance in Monday’s Euro 2012 Group D opener against England proved his undoubted class – and illustrated just why United are not the only team keen to secure his services in the close season. However, senior sources have told The Journal Newcastle are not worried that their long-standing pursuit of Debuchy will be damaged by his fine performance in Donetsk.

We understand the defender has told close friend Yohan Cabaye on several occasions he wants to join him on Tyneside – a message relayed back to United’s hierarchy through Debuchy’s representatives at the end of May.

Newcastle wanted to push through a move before the European Championships but despite opening negotiations they could not agree a fee with Lille, which will be their priority as soon as France are knocked out of the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.

Although a player of promise, they are not especially anxious about news Inter Milan have joined the race for his services and believe the presence of Cabaye in their squad is a major factor in their favour.

Debuchy favours a move to England and, with neither of the Manchester clubs likely to join a bidding war for the player, Lille are ready for further negotiations with Newcastle. However, he revealed yesterday he would not decide his future until after France’s Euro 2012 campaign.

Debuchy said: “Right now, I am focused on the Euros.

“I have wishes, but we will discuss them later.”

Reports in France have claimed there is a release fee in Debuchy’s Ligue 1 contract but, had that been the case, United would have attempted to push through a swift deal as they did with Cabaye.

Instead they will wait until after the conclusion of the European Championships to resume their negotiations with the former French champions. If Debuchy (pictured right) does sign for United it further complicates Danny Simpson’s situation. The right-back has posted a string of messages on his Twitter account expressing disappointment at the way his contract negotiations are being reported.

However, The Journal understands there has been no fresh talk between the United hierarchy and his new agent David Manasseh since the end of the season.

At this point, Simpson is poised to report back for pre-season training to try and retain his place in the United side – although his contract situation has alerted Fulham and West Ham. QPR have also been linked to the £2million-rated defender.

Meanwhile, The Journal can reveal that United are unlikely to broker any deals while events in Poland and Ukraine unfold.

It is understood most of United’s senior figures are on holiday and do not expect any business to be concluded until the conclusion of Euro 2012.

United have spoken to Ajax about Holland international Vurnon Anita but Tyneside sources say they were merely “testing the water” with the Dutch giants.

Newcastle’s interest is genuine but they will not break the bank for the versatile 23-year-old and if Ajax stand firm on their £8million valuation United will look elsewhere. Anita appeals to Newcastle’s power brokers because he can play either in the defensive midfield role or at left-back.

With an increased fixture list due to their qualification for the Europa League, versatility has been made a key priority in all of their summer transfer business.

:: NEWCASTLE will face Porto and Olympiacos in Portugal as part of their pre-season preparations in the Guadiana Torneo at the Algarve Stadium near Faro.

They play Olympiacos on Friday, July 27 and Porto the next day. Both games kick-off at 8.45pm.

We can but hope - He looked very decent against England the other day. Hopefully the French will slip up against Ukraine and crash out in the group stages!
13th June 2012 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
RE: Debuchy keen on Toon switch

just been reading that....sounds promising
13th June 2012 07:58 AM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

Hopefully that's true, he looked class the other night, looks a lot better than Simpson.
13th June 2012 08:12 AM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter

Allegedly Cabeye and Debuchy are lovers... Xisco may or may not be pleases

*Taps nose*
13th June 2012 08:29 AM
Irish Magpie Offline

First Team Starter

I wonder if we could get any of our lads to hook up with Messi?
13th June 2012 08:32 AM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter

Get Xisco on it
13th June 2012 08:35 AM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

You sponsored by blue square now sal?
13th June 2012 08:38 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

Would be a very good signing and certainly a step up from where we are currently in the right back position.
13th June 2012 08:40 AM
Swyer87 Offline

First Team Starter

Only seen him against England the other day but looked excellent, miles better the Simmo. Wasnt tested defensively though which he will be in the PL.

Either way dont believe none of this until he is signed, wonder if it relates to Cabaye's tweet yesterday though?
13th June 2012 10:51 AM
Vic Offline

First Team Starter

I find it hard to understand that Simpson is only worth 2 mill (these days) if we sell, given that he was a regular in a top 5 Premier league team.
13th June 2012 11:09 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

(13th June 2012 08:38 AM)King Sentinel I Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.You sponsored by blue square now sal?

Am more a SkyBet man really, but thought I would leave the Blue Square plug in regardless.

I think there is definitely a lot in this rumour, he is clearly good mates with Cabaye and is even rooming with him for this tournament. Also Pardew said himself in that interview he and Carver did last month that we were in for a close associate of Yohan Cabaye.

Hopefully he doesnt attract too much attention and drive his price up, because that would certainly drive us away.
(13th June 2012 11:09 AM)Vic Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I find it hard to understand that Simpson is only worth 2 mill (these days) if we sell, given that he was a regular in a top 5 Premier league team.

Last year of his contract plays a big part though - We only got £5.5mil for Enrique and he is worth double that.

£2mil is still extremely cheap for a tried and tested PL player.
(This post was last modified: 13th June 2012 11:13 AM by Sal.)
13th June 2012 11:12 AM
Geordie_leg Offline

First Team Regular

He's only got a year left on his contract Vic

Debuchy and santon would be a nice partnership
13th June 2012 11:15 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Santon Colo Saylor Debuchy

On paper looks great!
13th June 2012 11:23 AM
Demba Ba Humbug Offline

Reserve Team

I still worry about Santon as a left back. I hope we sign a left back too.
13th June 2012 11:59 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

We definitely wont sign two fullbacks, or not that would be regarded as first team challengers anyway.

I dont mind Santon being at left back, would prefer a left footer ideally, but if we have the chance to sign a top quality right back with less chance of filling the left back role to the same standard then so be it.
13th June 2012 12:08 PM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite

(13th June 2012 11:59 AM)Demba Ba Humbug Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I still worry about Santon as a left back. I hope we sign a left back too.

I'm the same. Defensively...he can be a bit suspect.
13th June 2012 01:21 PM
tino Offline

First Team Regular

i also heard he stole a sweet from a baby when he was young
13th June 2012 01:41 PM
King Sentinel I Offline

First Team Regular

We need all the players we can get, and with high earners like Smith off the books, his wages alone could pay 2 decent young players.

Reckon we need 5 decent quality players, thats assuming NO-ONE leaves.
(This post was last modified: 13th June 2012 04:41 PM by King Sentinel I.)
13th June 2012 04:41 PM

Thread Closed